Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What is this thread?
So Dark Souls III is being released in an interesting way. The worldwide release date is set for April 12th, and that is the date it will release on in all consoles in most countries and on the PC in Japan. However in Japan, for the PS4 and Xbone it will be released on March 24th (March 23rd in the US because timezones), nearly three full weeks before. The reason for this staggered release date is not known, although it probably has something to do with FromSoftware self-publishing those versions, and Bandai Namco covering all others (and not wanting to release it on that date, for whatever reason).

Because of this and the fact that many of the more hardcore Souls fans are bad with money, many of us will be purchasing the Japanese version to play it as soon as possible. Rather than clutter up the pre-release thread with CIA document posts, I figured I'd make a thread for this release for us crazies to post it and share notes. As the game will most likely be entirely in Japanese (beyond the voices and some UI elements) and most of us know little to no Japanese, I'll be including useful resources below for better understanding the game. I'll be closing this thread prior to the worldwide release, cause there's no real point in having it around after that.

:thumbsup:

Dark Souls III
The capstone to FromSoftware's iconic video game franchise, and possibly the last entry according to their president Hidetaka Miyazaki. It boasts many improvements and changes from the previous games in the series, as well as Bloodborne, not least being the graphic fidelity. I've heard many compared it to Bloodborne and there certainly are some bits that looks like they would have been taken straight from it, but to me the overall visual design feels very much like an enhanced Demon's Souls. To go along with that, the combat and movement are faster than previous entries, although not as much as Bloodborne.

Returning features include four types of magic (sorcery, miracles, pyromancy, and hexes), powerstanced weapons (although this time it is specific weapons only and replaces the 2handed moveset of those weapons), four ring slots, most of the usual stats, a Nexus-style hub, a level-up-lady in the hub, and a metric boatload of returning items and characters (if you were one of the people that bitched at Dark Souls II for including Ornstein, well, maybe you shouldn't be playing this).

New features include the removal of the adaptability and agility stats, the re-inclusion of Luck (in addition to boosting item find it also boosts poison and bleed capabilities), all stats providing some form of defense boost in addition to their primary benefit, an upgrade system that is a fusion of the ones form Dks2 and Des (you infuse weapons with a specific type of material, and the available paths include ones that change how the weapon scales with stats), as well as the new Skill system.

You know how in Dks2, if you 2handed some weapons then they had a special L2 attack? Now every item that you equip in a hand has such a move. It looks like most weapons will have one from a certain number of "general" Skills, with unique weapons like boss weapons having unique Skills of their own. To go along with this, there is a special category of shields that have the Skill "Weapon Skill" which allows you to use your right hand weapon's Skill while 1handing it.

To go along with the new Skill system there is another new feature in the form of the Focus bar. It's much like the Mana bar from Des, but here it not only governs spell usage but Skill usage as well. And to go along with this there have been changes made to the Estus system as well. Now you have a certain number of charges of total Estus that may be allocated at the hub to either the traditional HP restoring Estus or the new Focus restoring Ash Estus.

Useful Resources
How to buy the game
English translations from pre-release footage (e.g. menus, item descriptions)
Google translate app for bad on the fly translations

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this game preloading yet? I pre-ordered it but couldn't figure out how to download it, if that's possible. The OP of the other thread is a huge enabler and I hate it. Oh well, if I can play Japanese Monster Hunter I can play Japanese Dark Souls.

It's pre-loading. There should be an option on the store page to do it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From what I've read he apparently sells stuff and gets a better inventory over time if you tell him to go out and look for goods to nab.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oenis posted:

It was a misunderstanding, the whole pvp outrage from earlier today. If you're in ember form, much like human form in ds1, you can be invaded. With a dried finger additional red (and white) phantoms can spawn.

Yeah, one thing is from From's official site but translated by others, the other is word from Namco which means nothing since they told us untrue bullshit about Dks2's multiplayer when it first released. We'll only know when we get the chance to see for ourselves.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

panda clue posted:

way of the blue has literally never worked properly for me in any souls game, on any system, at any point during the game's lifetime, ever

Way of the Blue has been in one game so far.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

panda clue posted:

sorry, I was thinking of the other blue phantom covenant in Dark Souls 1. I guess they served totally different purposes, but my brain mushed them together since 'blue'. Either way, I never got either of them to work :smith:. I barely got Gravelord invasions to work, but I at least got a few of those.

The Darkmoons in Dark Souls were okay is you primarily used the Blue Orb. The ring invasions were a crapshoot, and they kind have always been for some reason.

The Blue Sentinel/Way of Blue protection racket thing in Dks2 was a crapshoot as well, yeah. Mainly due to the lack of invaders. So hopefully only being able to invade people with phantoms is incorrect otherwise that will again be useless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nifty1 posted:

Don't use japanese amazon to purchase digital xbox gift cards. You can't purchase them without a Japanese credit card even if you use a gift card. They are region locked and require the japanese credit card to verify.

I tried to get around this by using an amazon gift card and vpn before I realized it required the japanese credit card no matter what. Now I think I'm going to be hosed because there are no returns on amazon gift cards (I requested a return anyways).

I could not find another site selling yen gift cards in the right denominations to equal 7500. They were either sold out or only sold them in 2000 and 5000. If anyone finds one post it here.

Play-asia sells codes for 3000 and 5000 yen cards. Still a bit over but not as bad otherwise.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Direct hit system or w/e looks to be confirmed. Dude missed (a lot) with the greataxe and did no damage, but hit close enough to stagger enemies (and make skellies blow apart for a bit).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

:siren:BLACK IRON TARKUS:siren:

Wielding the loving FUME ULTRA GREATSWORD. Looks to have the same blocking move, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So It Goes posted:

Kinda lame how much that area looks like a reused Bloodborne chalice dungeon. I'm talking aesthetically, not level design or anything.

Eh, it looks like a mix of that, the tomb of the giants, and the catacombs, which I think is pretty rad.

Also, (enemy spoiler) skeleton bolus.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I just looked at Play-Asia just to see how much it would ring me if I decided to double dip and JESUS it's expensive. The 5000 yen card alone is like $70 :canada:

I got it for $50 USD. combined with the 3000 it was $80 total which isn't that bad.

HGH posted:

This boss intro is amazing.
Also holy crap miniboss/special enemy spoiler: there's a decayed, moss covered Asylum/Stray Demon just sitting on top of a Lothric wall with the exact same moveset from DS1

That boss into is Shadow Tower as gently caress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meatsicle posted:

Xbox One JP version has English text. Xbone master race

The one good thing the Xbone has ever had.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

So the Xbone version has an English mode and the PS4 version doesn't? Or is the Xbone version literally just all in English because nobody cares enough about Xbox in Japan to warrant making a dedicated JP version?

Apparently it has to do with the Xbone's weird game licensing. There's more info about it on r/Darksouls3jpn if you're interested.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Well there are people playing the Steam version on stream right at this moment so it just seems bizarre for them not to let the rest of us. I know that it's because From are self-publishing in Japan and have released it there now it's finished, and I guess Bandai Namco have financial reasons to hold back the release for the rest of the world, but still. It sucks.

The only people playing on PC currently are journalists and big streamers. From is only publishing for the Xbone and PS4.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I know. The point is, the game is demonstrably finished, playable, and already out there, and three weeks is a long time to wait :(

Blame people that still want physical copies of games, I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turnways posted:

Does the Katana guy near the shrine respawn, or was he holding anything important? I booted his scrawny rear end off the cliffside and didn't think to check.

If you quit and reload I think his stuff will be near his spawn point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oenis posted:

when the game was first announced they made a pretty big deal out of the "making your own bonfire" mechanic. Does that appear anywhere else so far or was it just the one iudex gunther gimmick?

No they didn't. That was just a rumor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to play this yesterday, but I did get up to Firelink at least. Anyone else have a bit of trouble with Gundyr? I need to justify my difficulty with him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

supposedly this is how you join the purple covenant. you might need to be hollow, and it probably has to be before the tree boss https://a.pomf.cat/ivtztm.webm

Anyone know where exactly in the level that dude is?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So how do I get to the woods-ey area after Undead Settlement? I found it at some point but can't remember how the gently caress to get back there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NattyBo posted:

Where do I use the key from the guy who gives you it and the cracked red eye orbs

From the second bonfire in the high wall go down a few flights, the door's there.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turnways posted:

Does anybody know how this HP recovery ring Pontiff's Left Eye, the one that supposedly lets you recover HP with successive attacks actually works? I have it on and nothing I'm doing is trigger HP regain. I tried mashing R1 and R2, hitting when there's still yellow on the health bar, etc. but no HP gain.

It takes quite a few hits. I've mainly had it proc when fighting groups of enemies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Bunny posted:

Anybody else getting invaded right away? I don't even want to be kindled anymore. Could it be because of the 5 stacks of dark sigil I have

I haven't been getting invaded at all. :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I hosed up my phone verification step and I'm now sitting in Limbo waiting for anything to happen. I'm not calling hong kong thats way to costly. Are they gonna call me whenever? gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I just wanted to play the drat loving game, gently caress you bandai namco eat my rear end.

Phone verification? I just payed through paypal and got the codes immediately.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

you set matching to worldwide right

If that's not the default then no.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh, I had already switched that, actually. Guess I'm just unlucky, then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have specific directions to the respec place? I know it's in the church area w/the deacons, but I can't seem to find it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So is everyone who is saying the PVP is good playing an entirely different game than me? The PVP is incredibly laggy; not as bad as Dks, but way worse than Dks2 or BB.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So where do I get the thing that unlocks the Chaos upgrade path? I imagine it's in the fiery area but if it is I've missed it.

e: Looking at the wiki, it doesn't even have entry for such an item. Is there some other way to get that infusion or?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Do the Drang Hammers actually appear in Dark Souls 2? I remember being surprised by seeing them because I never saw them anywhere is DS2?

Not technically. They're more a reference to the power stance mechanic from that game. Their dual-wielded moveset echoes that of power stanced maces.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meatsicle posted:

I don't know how I feel about the dried finger. Everyone I invade uses it and has 3 phantoms. It's brutal.

Imo 4v1s are easier than 3/2v1s. Because then you have a chance t get another phantom and really even things up. With the others you won't ever have help except for a few areas.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone know what the ring that you find in (late game area spoiler) the darkmoon tomb does? It's not on the wiki, unfortunately.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

It boosts Dark AR and reduces Dark DEF.

Oh, cool. Not sure why they didn't just make it look like the Dark Clutch Ring, then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ah. That's wonderfully near-useless.

Another ring question from the same area. What's the one that looks like Aldritch's Sapphire (FP restored on criticals) but with an orange gem?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

That thing that I assume was once Gwyndolin is loving terrifying.

Is there a second pyromancy trainer somewhere? The one I have won't teach me the chaos spells for some reason.

It's kind of Gwyndolin. It's Aldritch, the saint that by that point has been mentioned a few times in the game, the one you originally went to the Cathedral of the Deep to get, only to find him absent. When he was human he devoured so many men that he became sludgelike. After becoming a Lord of Cinder he started devouring gods. Gwyndolin, Priscilla, etc.

And there is a second pyro trainer, though I haven't found her yet myself. She's quite lategame.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

i've used the red orb as a darkmoon and i dunno, i just invaded as a red. maybe they were supposed to be a sinner?

I've gotten invaded by Darkmoons. My guess it's just having your covenant sigil equipped in an area where you can invade, and you'll be summoned eventually.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Then who's been invading Genocyber :wth:

Yeah, in the Anor Londo part of Irithyll I've been invaded a few times by two blues at once, so there's clearly some defense/sinner invasion thing going on with that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I believe that's Aldrich Faithful territory so that would explain it

Oh right, I forgot about that covenant. Nevermind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has anyone tried a Faith build in earnest yet? I'm curious how Faith casting holds up this go round, after Dark Souls 2 nerfed it pretty heavily shortly after launch.

The offensive ones seem fairly mediocre. The weapon buffs look to be quite good, though.

• Locked thread