Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is this game preloading yet? I pre-ordered it but couldn't figure out how to download it, if that's possible. The OP of the other thread is a huge enabler and I hate it. Oh well, if I can play Japanese Monster Hunter I can play Japanese Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Fat Official from Demon's Souls makes his triumphant return, with even better giggle-acting. I like how soon I was able to get an outfit with chain mail, a turban and hanzo steel. I feel pretty cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did it take anyone else forever to figure out that a) you could teleport from the hub bonfire and b) you have to to progress?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So what are the pilgrims supposed to be carrying on their backs? A bonfire sconce?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bunny posted:

I bought the tower key where do I use it? The door next to the katana guy is still locked.

There's an exit on the upper floor of the right side of the throne shrine with a locked door, I'd assume it's there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone managed to find Loretta in the undead settlement? That mocking knight with the huge hammer makes it sound like I've found some woman around there, but I have no idea where/when/who he's talking about. Also, does the third boss evil tree aka treevil actually unlock anything when you beat it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just beat the Cathedral of the Deep and as far as I can tell the only road open to me is the undead legion fight. The knights in the hub told me to go to the Boreal Valley but I have no idea how to get there. Any hints?

Also, does anyone know what the thing the Cathedral boss dropped on top of their soul was?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's technically the DS2 system, but in about 20 hours of playing I've never had anything dip below half durability. The numbers are DS1 numbers, that also happen to auto refresh to full each bonfire/death.

I've had a katana get lowish after going a very long time without resting. It seems like it's probably ignorable for all but the most fragile weapons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Question about that giant from the intro Is the idea that you pick up that sword at the foot of his throne and use it to give him the frostbite effect or something? I tried that and the effect didn't fire after hitting him quite a bit, but maybe that wasn't enough. He has all of the HP ever so I'm sure there's some sort of gimmick here

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

You have to use it, yeah. Charge up the sword by holding it in stance mode for a little while until the wind sort of "releases" and then you can use I believe the strong attack or maybe the L2 to crack the heavens :getin:

I guess I must have never tried using the strong attack after charging it. hrm.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone managed to kill that drake near the beginning? I plinked at it with arrows for a bit and it dropped a piece of tier 2 titanite and flew off. I don't know if it's waiting somewhere else for a real fight, or I just need to kill it faster.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

nah...nah...im good thx...

What is this item anyway, I missed my chance to grab it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone have any recommendations for good quality weapons? I've been using the katana you can get at the beginning for pretty much the entire game and wanna branch out a bit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So how the hell do I deal with the arrow attack on the second stage of that Gwyndolin looking thing in Anor Londo? It does it constantly and it seems like the only recourse is to sprint away leaving me no way to deal damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone else's performance drop badly after (midgame?) killing Gwyndolin and making the sky change? Anytime I'm outside it lags. I wonder if it has a Bloodborne-esque memory leak and restarting the game would help.

The Bunny posted:

Anybody else getting invaded right away? I don't even want to be kindled anymore. Could it be because of the 5 stacks of dark sigil I have

Yeah I get invaded a lot when kindled. I still almost never have my blue sentinel pact go off. Maybe I should put on way of the blue when I'm kindled.

MrLonghair posted:

Learn the right timing and keep enough spare endurance for 2-3 rolls, only thing you can do against that pain in the rear end along with switching gear out for something that stands those attacks better.

I ended up beating him by getting a run where he never used that attack. Thankfully he doesn't take too long to kill. The pro-est of strats.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Hate to say it but people who cheated the system and got the game early shouldnt be allowed to participate in multiplayer at all.. They must suffer, one way or another for doing this to me.

Didn't From say that the international version needs a day 1 patch because it has no multiplayer and is literally in EZ mode? Sounds like your wish is granted.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just figured out how to upgrade my estus flask and took it from 0 to +7, nice. Does anyone know what giving the firekeeper soul to the level up lady does? I had thought that was how they were upgraded.

lets hang out posted:

generally round things i think. firebombs for example

Uh they want bibble pee and and bum per rum, obviously :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Thats not how it is upgraded? poo poo. That is what I did with the firekeeper soul I had.

How are estus upgraded?

It's one of the options at the hub bonfire. It takes those items that look like a pile of white rags.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Ah yes, an even stronger Martyr Logarius that spawns a ghost clone instead of a lame ghost sword in phase 2, this is what I wanted. This is what I wanted Miyazaki. Thank you, thank you for the definitive Souls... :shepicide:

Also is there a sorcery teacher besides the pilgrim then Yuria, the little king, and the old firekeeper hag before or in the ice castle place? I probably left them behind somewhere, would be nice to rock something more advanced than heavy soul arrow for range...

He reminded me of the Fume Knight. Definitely the hardest boss I've fought so far. There is a decent NPC that you can summon right outside his room. It'll probably make the fight take longer, but he can stay alive and the distraction is nice because otherwise the boss will punish you every time you use your flask.

turtlecrunch posted:

Well I get oneshotted by a few of its attacks and I don't remember that happening with Logarius, maybe it's time to grind for HP but I really would rather not. I'll look around the level now though. :v:

Yeah, I'm in the same position. I think the last 5 bosses I've fought have had a way of one shotting me. I looked at some guy posting bosses on youtube with twice the HP as me who made them all look like cakewalks, and not because he's super good or anything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

If someone throws a fireball at you that's large, with rings like saturn, avoid the poo poo outta it. It's a proper nuke that I deal 1200+ damage to enemies with and take over half most players damage with.

And total protip for you of you who use shields but have a hard time - physical% is more important than ever. 11 STR is the minimum required for one. I can't use the grass crest shield because 100% shields are just that useful, even against bosses.

Yeah, I was having trouble against Pontiff Whatshisname before I realized shields are actually really good against him. Still hard, but easier.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So are any of the items in the obligatory lava pit worth swimming for? I remember them generally not being in previous games.

Lotish posted:

So I just watched a stream that had a particular boss. It was Lothric(?) after the two dragons, and the boss in question has a lightning axe and shield and some kind of veiny creature in the background bombards the stage as the fight goes on. My question is: Do you get that sweet outfit and weapon when you kill it, because that looked awesome and I will build for that weapon in a heartbeat.

Dunno about the armor, but you can get the sword or the shield with its soul. So you're looking at late NG+ minimum for the full getup.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I lust for the dark weapon miracle and gnaw, a miracle that shoots out swarms of bugs that eat up on your foes.

Anyone find caitha's chime yet?

Gnaw is that spell the fat ladies in the undead settlement cast right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone found any instances of tails that can be cut to get an item?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Falling down on elevators to trigger them coming up works better than ever in DS3 :lol:

And have any of you ever seen the phase1 Tree boss curl up and start rolling around the arena? Happened once so far over all my alts and sunbroings. Last time it was very eager to get up and walk around on two legs in phase2 also.

I've seen it do that once, I was pretty far from it when it happened.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does killing the summonable purple phantom NPC near the 3rd bonfire in Road of Sacrifice do anything? He was really goddamn tough until I figured out you're supposed to make the zone's fauna fight him. He could either parry me and one shot me with his shield out, use his greatsword's special to one shot me in power stance. He also had an absolute shitload of hp, like 5-10 estus charges and healing spells. Killing him gave an unremarkable number of souls and no loot, so as far as I know it's just a for the challenge thing. He also invades you in the Undead Settlement, but is way weaker there. I'm pretty sure it's the Mound Builders NPC.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

Anyone try out the Dragonslayer Swordspear yet?

I'm pretty much set on going Dex/Faith now just because there are at least three Faith-scaling weapons that seem completely beautiful and I want to use them forever, and that's one of them.

I tried out the falchion you can get from the same soul because the other one didn't fit any stat distribution I was planning on using. It seems like a completely normal falchion except its special attack spin has a wind effect. I feel like I'm missing something, maybe the wind does high poise damage, I dunno. Spamming it makes you feel kinda like Garron from League of Legends, I guess.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 31, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone had trouble getting the onion knight to show up at the well in front of the cathedral in NG+? I cleared the previous encounter with him just fine, and got patches into the hub. Dude just isn't showing up for some reason.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Like a lot of similar Skills you want to followup the Skill with either an r1 or an r2.

Ah, thanks. It seems good at knocking dudes down, if that's something you want, but the damage is kinda meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

prithee be careful
prithee be
prithee
prithee
prith
pri

Be day by do'h