Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Yeah but theres also the chance you go insane from it / it backfires and your head blows up.

That's all magic though. Actually just life really. And insanity is a worse risk when there are literal demons and other transdimensional Things chilling around that have such sights to show you. In HP magic is natural. Is comes from nature and from your own being. In D and D it is often supernatural, relying on powers outside the material universe and from beings that are sometimes legit evil. The only evil in the potterverse is that of people, which is something we already deal with. Voldemort stronk but at the end of the day he's mutilated himself so badly that he was gonna get kicked in the balls eventually chosen one or no. You don't fight the lady of pain or a demon prince or hell one of the celestial host that gets a bug up its rear end.

As for backfiring again that's life. If luna's mom wasn't a witch she would have died in a tragic slam poetry accident or doing interperative dance or something. All human arts are potentially double sided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

As for backfiring again that's life. If luna's mom wasn't a witch she would have died in a tragic slam poetry accident or doing interperative dance or something. All human arts are potentially double sided.

Ah yes the tragic butter dance accident of 94.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Diablo 1 sorcerer with hacked equipment
Teleporting everywhere and blowing everything up with the Archangels staff of apocalypse and wearing holy plate of the whale

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Roger Craig posted:

Teleporting everywhere and blowing everything up with the Archangels staff of apocalypse and wearing holy plate of the whale

Godly plate of the whale*

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Roger Craig posted:

i doubt youd be able to fit in any other kind of plate

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
FYI magic is real you dummies:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Your wife would still love you OP

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Ah yes the tragic butter dance accident of 94.

https://youtu.be/yhyZn2DGY-0

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

hemophilia posted:

Godly plate of the whale*

I thought Godly in my head but wrote holy for some reason

Shaquin posted:

i doubt youd be able to fit in any other kind of plate

tru dat

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yes, I too wish magic were real so I could adhere to a bunch more rules.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Luna would get so much poo poo if thats how her mom died.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

a starwar betamax posted:

Your wife would still love you OP

I have a wife?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

What kind of Wizard, Magician, Warlock, or Witch would you want to be?

I know EXACTLY what I would do but I'm not going to tell you cause you'd steal my cool sick idea and try to be like "yeah I'd do that too."

Go ahead post yours and maybe when I close the thread I'll tell you all my slick cool idea.

Totally a minion master Necromancer from Diablo 2 so I could roll around with 16 skeletons and a golem made from soda cans.

Being able to charm random people to serve you for 90 seconds would be pretty useful for getting VIP passes anywhere and it'd make DMV trips shorter so that's cool too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 23, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this wizard question is good, but i think the more important question is:

would you rather be a Mindflayer or a Beholder? im a little conflicted myself, but i think i would go Beholder. i am prepared to live without arms

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
I didn't choose the theurge life; the theurge life chose me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VyC7Pbtitg

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
gently caress your casters. I'm rolling an Artificer and casting all your best poo poo from all spell lists several levels earlier than you.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Microwaves Mom posted:

I don't want your avocado.

Luckily you don't have to anymore.

naem
May 29, 2011

You know, I have a masters of fine art degree I'm pretty sure that makes me at least a level 7 enchanter

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Damnit I left my spellbook at home.
#magicianproblems

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I would conjure the dankest weed known in hogwartz

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
I'd be a pyromancer.

But, really, nothing would change: I'd still be naked on the couch, covered in crumbs, only I'd live in a sweet tower and could heat my microwave dinners to perfection with my magical powers instead of walking through the knee-deep detritus surrounding my couch to go to the microwave.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Old Man Pants posted:

Avada Kedavra!

Im pretty sure you just sad abra kedabra with a lisp.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

naem posted:

What's with all head skulls and stuff I'd just dress real comfy like in a hoodie and some nice jeans

My wizard lair would just have some nice contemporary modern furniture and an open floor plan, maybe some brushed stainless steel in the kitchen OOO and one of those fridges just for wine like if people came over

poo poo, dude. That sounds like a sweet lair. Wanna be roomies? I can heat your microwave dinners from the couch, and you can do some Fantasia-rear end wizard poo poo so then the wine be walkin' over to the couch and we won't have to get up in the middle of Smash Bros for drank, noamsayin'?

EDIT:

If you say yes, naem, can we get a cryomancer in the crib too? Just be nice to have some couch-side refrigeration, noamsayin'? Someone to keep the brewskies cold for the halflings, nords, barbarians, and other non wine-drankin' races we'd entertain.

LAIRM8 WANTED:

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO LIVE WITH A FANTASIA-rear end WIZARD, & A NEKKID, CRUMB COVERED, COUCH-DWELLIN' PYROMANCER SHUTIN! ONLY THE COOLEST, :iceburn: IN'EST MAFUCKIN CRYOMANCERS NEED APPLY.

WE GOT 4 BEDROOMS, 1 & 1/2 BATHROOMS, AND TONNES OF SPACE. WEEKLY HERB DELIVERY FROM A BITCHIN (SHAQUIN?) DRUID-rear end NIGGA. AND NIGHTLY SMASH BROS COMPETITIONS.

REASONABLE RENT AT 150 GP/MO, OR SEE QUESTGIVER.

HIT US UP @ awfullairsllc.mail.biz.biznitch

Captain Splashback fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

dog buttz posted:

I'd probably just cast a spell to make all women (except immediate family) want me and also use it in some subtle way to make money without any effort.

Nathilus posted:

Who is gonna call dibs on girl king arthur for a servant? She gotta suck yo dick to replenish mana. But I guess only cuz you are a really lovely wizard?

LGD posted:

probably a wizard with a strong focus on biological transmutation and divination

turn yourself into the ideal being, improve/curse others as you desire, avoid trouble like a boss, be only slightly less unkillable than a lich but without driving away the hotties

Quit doxxing me, you guys :sparkles:

Honestly this Vow of Poverty thing's a real bitch and a half though lemme tell ya

What if magic was real but only in unprovable ways and the only caveat to utilizing it fully was to expend it towards selfless purposes? (This is before factoring in any sex- chaos- or astral- magics, naturally)

Honestly I think psionics are just as (if not more) likely to factor into "magical" happenings, since scientists today do essentially what wizards and alchemists were doing in yesteryear. A computer programmer today is the Artificer Rune-Scribe of the past, for example.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Microwaves Mom posted:

Im pretty sure you just sad abra kedabra with a lisp.

Sectum sempra!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nathilus posted:

You know who else are flesh shapers? Tsimisce. You sick gently caress.

canonically they were like that because they were infected by evil space parasites (and The Beast), something a wizard wouldn't need to worry about

I unironicslly love the insane poo poo Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand took on the oWoD setting

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
phallus normalsizulus!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I would be a sleazy wizard and everything I say would be really convincing.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'd been an anti-mage casting abolish magic, silence, mana burn and ruin fun rank 8

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is mind control and mentalism considered magic, or psychic? Need to know before I make my decision.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Is it rape if you magically make yourself incredibly attractive to them despite being a fat and greasy goon? What about directly putting the desire in their brain? Need to know soon because I got some crystals and am gonna j/o with that craigslist guy to charge them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is mind control and mentalism considered magic, or psychic? Need to know before I make my decision.

there are mind control spell, as well as mind control psionic powers. the decision is really up to you

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
You're all boring. Using your powers to not have to work or to destroy everything or whatever. The correct answer is to become a temporal mage and gamify life. Craft a temporal recall spell that acts as a "save point" so if you die or recall you just rewind back to whenever you saved, then just enjoy life. You can always just recall to your first point and invest in future big companies if you want an easy life, but in the mean time you can literally just explore every avenue life has to offer.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Temporal magic, like time travel technology, is illegal and closely monitored.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Can I and a bunch of mercenaries I hired gate into another world with inferior magic and technology and take over, or is that "illegal" too? Is using magic for any purpose except being a chocolate milk-drinking pussy illegal, because the OP has certainly made it seem that way.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
At first thought it would be best to be something with a lot of destructive power like a mage or warlock or something but then I thought who in the real world would I spend all that time fighting? Realistically I'd probably be whatever would let me enhance my creature comforts for free.

So basically I'd be a conjurer.

I'd conjure up enough money to buy a remote piece of land, then I'd conjure up a really badass house/castle to live in. And in the highest tower of my castle I'd conjure up the most kickass postin' station anybody has ever even heard of and spend my days staring at a pale computer monitor in a dark room while occasionally, scathingly shutting the drapes every time the sun from the outside women's volleyball tournament crept in.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dog buttz posted:

Is it rape if you magically make yourself incredibly attractive to them despite being a fat and greasy goon? What about directly putting the desire in their brain? Need to know soon because I got some crystals and am gonna j/o with that craigslist guy to charge them.

Literally part of the plot to Jessica Jones

Necromancers are where it's at. I would also accept Warlock providing homicide weakens the seals to assist my Lord and Master to come forth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

this wizard question is good, but i think the more important question is:

would you rather be a Mindflayer or a Beholder? im a little conflicted myself, but i think i would go Beholder. i am prepared to live without arms

Totally mindflayer. But to be frank I'd be rather malnourished in America. :smith:

• Locked thread