Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Via PM:

Hey, here is the twitter account of the belgian crisis center (dutch & french) - maybe add it to the OP for people who need it?

https://twitter.com/CrisiscenterBE

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/22/brussels-airport-explosions-live-updates

As of right now:

quote:

According to French media reports, there were two explosions minutes apart just before 8am at Brussels Airport - one in the departures area and one on or near the runway, writes Angelique Chrisafis.

A false ceiling collapsed causing lots of dust and smoke.

The departures area had easy access to the public, but the runway area would have been closed to public access and raises questions about how the explosion could have happened there.

quote:

The Belgian broadcaster RTBF says up to 10 people were killed and 30 wounded in the airport explosions. It cited a hospital source for the figures, according to Reuters.

This is an ongoing thing, so some level of lower-effort/live posting is to be expected, but don't be a dumbass or you will be probated :angel:

exmarx fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is an ongoing thing, so some level of lower-effort/live posting is to be expected, but don't be a dumbass or you will be probated :angel:

is it islamophobia if they are actually out to get us?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Revenge for Abdeslam's arrest?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
It was only a matter of time before terrorists realised that the queues to get onto a plane were just as good a target as the planes themselves.

Looking forward to Republican presidential candidates who can't locate Belgium on a map offering their deep condolences to the people of Brussels alongside their new plans for daily CAT scans of all Muslims.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This is going to get very ugly very quickly. Friends based in Belgium who have always been very tolerant and progressive are starting to talk about the 'enemy in our midst'. I don't like where this is going.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FourLeaf posted:

Revenge for Abdeslam's arrest?

It may have been launched so soon after because they were afraid his capture might blow the whole operation.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Explosions in the Maelbeek metro station in Brussels now, apparently. Today started off lovely and will only go downhill.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pesmerga posted:

This is going to get very ugly very quickly. Friends based in Belgium who have always been very tolerant and progressive are starting to talk about the 'enemy in our midst'. I don't like where this is going.
I don't see how that's an unreasonable phrase given that Belgium very clearly has been unwittingly home to several people who are its enemies.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Looks like the airport one at least was a suicide bomber, so different from the French attacks. It seems pretty likely that they're related, still.

Edit: Nope, there were a few suicide bombers there too

Lemming fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 22, 2016

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
The Maalbeek metro explosion is right in the middle of the administrative district in Brussels. The street you in the picture is Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi, which is basically synonymous with the government and is a stones throw from the main EU Institutes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

This wasn't a one-off so far it seems like the Airport + 3 different metro stations.
Can't blame the Belgians for feeling unsafe

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

shrike82 posted:

This wasn't a one-off so far it seems like the Airport + 3 different metro stations.
Can't blame the Belgians for feeling unsafe

Where are you seeing three different metro stations? I think there was only a single explosion at Maalbeek but it affected the nearby stations of Schuman and ArtsLoi

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

News sites reporting that one of the blasts in Brussels airport targeted the American airlines check-in desk so high probability that American nationals could be among the dead/wounded

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What exactly is it about Belgium thats put such a bee in the jihadi dudes bonnet? I mean, its belgium, they dont really get up in peoples faces, unless its to give them some tasty beer some cool old monks made.

Well thats about the limit of my belgium knowledge, so why does belgium seem to be so prominent in terms of countries islamists dont like very much?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pesmerga posted:

I've got a bunch of racist colleagues, I try to not let them get to me, but it's hard to resist that base emotion of wanting revenge. At least I got word that my friends who work there are ok.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Explosions in the Maelbeek metro station in Brussels now, apparently. Today started off lovely and will only go downhill.
That's my guess too, operatives seeing their direct leadership getting arrested and the police getting close starting the mission sooner than expected. Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/712197797584506880

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that Belgium has the highest radicalization rate in the world. 800 Muslims from Belgium go to fight for ISIS out of every 1 million in the country. Several times higher than what you see in the Middle East. Just in case anyone thinks it's a smart idea to get their racism on towards refugees after this. The flow of jihadist ideology comes out of Belgium, not towards it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

duck monster posted:

What exactly is it about Belgium thats put such a bee in the jihadi dudes bonnet? I mean, its belgium, they dont really get up in peoples faces, unless its to give them some tasty beer some cool old monks made.

Well thats about the limit of my belgium knowledge, so why does belgium seem to be so prominent in terms of countries islamists dont like very much?

If it's anything like the French attacks (who were 5 French, 2 Belgian), it's Belgian/EU nationals who got radicalized for whatever reason.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Toplowtech posted:

That's my guess too, operatives seeing their direct leadership getting arrested and the police getting close starting the mission sooner than expected. Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

Nothing that I can think of. Salah Abdeslam was arrested recently so maybe they decided to act sooner rather than later. Airports are pretty crowded and I read that they blew up the American Airlines desk specifically, but can't confirm that.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

duck monster posted:

Brussels is also the administrative centre of the EU, so if Europe is your hated heart of western decadence then it's a good symbolic place to strike, I guess.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Nice to see the terrorists are following the Schlieffen plan.
Does anyone think they can beat Russia's mobilisation?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

Easter vacation exodus this weekend. The tour of Flanders is next weekend, which brings out a million cycling fans.

There's always plenty of mass events to target, but those two would be pretty symbolic to strike at the average Belgian's level of safety.

Local radio is reporting 13 dead, 35 wounded in zaventem airport.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nimby posted:

Local radio is reporting 13 dead, 35 wounded in zaventem airport.

Reuters is echoing this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

duck monster posted:

It's not that they hate Belgium in particular, it's that Belgium is the loving world champ in radicalizing its Muslim population.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not that they hate Belgium in particular, it's that Belgium is the loving world champ in radicalizing its Muslim population.

Asking out of ignorance, how would they be such champs in that?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Speculation, but something to keep in mind.

https://twitter.com/ksnavarra/status/712197136859983872

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

duck monster posted:

Attacking Brussels is like attacking Washington, it has a symbolic value that is far greater than being a city in Belgium.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Nice to see the terrorists are following the Schlieffen plan.
Does anyone think they can beat Russia's mobilisation?

They've done it before.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am hopeful the death toll is kept to a minimum. Its sad when this is perhaps the only thing we can hope for in this sort of situation.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
New York Times currently says "at least one" dead. Where are the double-digit counts coming from?

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can we can the victim blaming for at least one day?

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
e: nvm

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/957/Binnenland/article/detail/2654083/2016/03/22/Explosie-in-metrostations-Maalbeek-en-Schuman.dhtml

Seems the metro in Schuman, just outside the European institutions, was struck as well.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
The official count at this moment seems to be about a dozen dead and at least thirty something wounded, I suspect the numbers will increase though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pesmerga posted:

Actually it's already got very ugly because people are being murdered in the streets.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grundulum posted:

New York Times currently says "at least one" dead. Where are the double-digit counts coming from?

Belgian broadcaster VRT says 13 dead, 35 severely injured after Brussels explosion.

Pretty much everyone else is saying 10+.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

He is always shipping Nermal out to Abu Dhabi...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Karmalis posted:

Asking out of ignorance, how would they be such champs in that?

Belgium as a country is pretty racist. Doesn't help that we're happy letting Muslims have their own, semi-detached culture in some cities. Result is little dialog and lots of racism from both sides.

You can compare it with Fox-watching Republicans and Democrats. Living in the same world, but very detached.

Radio reporting definitely 1 suicide bomber at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

I don't see how that's an unreasonable phrase given that Belgium very clearly has been unwittingly home to several people who are its enemies.

nimby posted:

I've got a bunch of racist colleagues, I try to not let them get to me, but it's hard to resist that base emotion of wanting revenge. At least I got word that my friends who work there are ok.

I know. It's not so much how they view the situation that's the real problem, that feeling of insecurity is horrible. It's more that even they are now starting to talk grimly of needing more permanent solutions to this problem.

• Locked thread