Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Indeed. Here's my radical opinion: terrorist attacks like these are horrible, and there are no excuses for them. At the same time, Belgium has obviously made various choices, for different reasons, that have created a fertile ground for these monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
belgium is hosed

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Just got a wsj notification that said three blasts. Has more happened or just standard bad info so close to events?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

He is always shipping Nermal out to Abu Dhabi...

https://twitter.com/GarfieldKart/status/712205346329075712

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
France and Belgium have created insular Islamic ghettos where radicalisation festers. A Muslim kid in a banlieue doesn't flinch at killing Frenchmen because he doesn't feel French.

Western culture can assimilate anything, but only if it gets its foot in the door.

This Packer piece from the NYer a few weeks back is an eye opening read, even if you're already familiar with French banlieues.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Just got a wsj notification that said three blasts. Has more happened or just standard bad info so close to events?
Two at the airport, at least one in the subway system.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Junkyard Poodle posted:

2 blasts at the airport, one in the metro about an hour later. But yeah, a lot of info is chaotic at best

vv there was smoke and evacuations in 3 metro stations, they're all on the same (straight) line so it's possible that a bomb in one of them sends smoke to all three.

willemw fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 22, 2016

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

At this point I've seen confirmed two blasts at the airport and one on the metro. I think maybe some people misunderstood and thought there were three metro attacks in addition to the airport ones? Obviously at this point in any event like this there's always a ton of confusion and conflicting reports flying everywhere.

e: Also another broadcaster has now reported that nobody was killed at the metro, so that 10 dead there might have been wrong as well.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 22, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/712221583373430784

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/712214166665338881

Apparently the reason there were reports of multiple blasts in the metro system was that the bomb went off on a train between stations and the blast propagated through the tunnels, hitting several different stations as it went.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Police presser now:
- explosion at Maelbeek with dead and wounded, but no numbers yet
- everyone should stay inside as in indoors

The New Black posted:

e: Also another broadcaster has now reported that nobody was killed at the metro, so that 10 dead there might have been wrong as well.

Some sites now say 30 dead in the metro. It's save to say nobody knows atm

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The New Black posted:

At this point I've seen confirmed two blasts at the airport and one on the metro. I think maybe some people misunderstood and thought there were three metro attacks in addition to the airport ones? Obviously at this point in any event like this there's always a ton of confusion and conflicting reports flying everywhere.

e: Also another broadcaster has now reported that nobody was killed at the metro, so that 10 dead there might have been wrongs well.

we will have no idea of the death count until at least 3 hours from now. hopefully the don't do waved attacks.

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/712221583373430784

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/712214166665338881

Apparently the reason there were reports of multiple blasts in the metro system was that the bomb went off on a train between stations and the blast propagated through the tunnels, hitting several different stations as it went.

sounds like they just had a bunch of different dudes drop a bomb at each stop. :( fuckin ISIS

https://twitter.com/maryzimnik/status/712223277679161344

seems like the cops surrounded someone.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 22, 2016

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

The New Black posted:

the 10 dead in the metro attack comes directly from the Belgian fire department so it's pretty certain.

EDIT: there's been reports of another explosion just now

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

JMolen posted:

EDIT: there's been reports of another explosion just now
Controlled explosion by dovo

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Jump from 10 dead to 30 dead? Jesus

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

That's my guess too, operatives seeing their direct leadership getting arrested and the police getting close starting the mission sooner than expected. Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

that would be a decent guess. its either that or a reprisal bombings for the arrested of the last paris attacker.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Indeed. Here's my radical opinion: terrorist attacks like these are horrible, and there are no excuses for them. At the same time, Belgium has obviously made various choices, for different reasons, that have created a fertile ground for these monsters.

Whoa

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

if this was a "hasty" attempt to do something before they got rolled up by law enforcement, you have to wonder what they'd have done with more time and planning

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Toplowtech posted:

That's my guess too, operatives seeing their direct leadership getting arrested and the police getting close starting the mission sooner than expected. Was the airport a convenient target or were there something public and important going to happen in Belgium soon.

Nothing important at the moment afaik. We had a euro-summit last week and a football cup final last weekend. Seems to me that it's connected to the arrest (but I can't see Abdeslam as leadership from what we know)

shrike82 posted:

if this was a "hasty" attempt to do something before they got rolled up by law enforcement, you have to wonder what they'd have done with more time and planning

Once you have the explosives, this kind of attack is not difficult to do I'm afraid. There are no metal detectors at that part of the airport, and the metro isn't very secured either

willemw fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 22, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

UncleSmoothie posted:

France and Belgium have created insular Islamic ghettos where radicalisation festers. A Muslim kid in a banlieue doesn't flinch at killing Frenchmen because he doesn't feel French.

Western culture can assimilate anything, but only if it gets its foot in the door.

This Packer piece from the NYer a few weeks back is an eye opening read, even if you're already familiar with French banlieues.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france

I'd argue that most kids would feel bad about killing a HUMAN, no matter their nationality.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

shrike82 posted:

Next week is the Easter holidays, traditionally there's a big exodus this Friday. So if they attacked then, we'd be talking about hundreds dead, half of them kids going skiing.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
It should be noted that the number of 30 is not confirmed and probably includes the deaths from the airport as well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

willemw posted:

Nothing important at the moment afaik. We had a euro-summit last week and a football cup final last weekend. Seems to me that it's connected to the arrest (but I can't see Abdeslam as leadership from what we know)

yeah, didnt he wuss out at the last second or was he declared the "designated survivor" of the group by the ISIS dudes, you know the dude who will tell of their "heroism" to other wannabee shitheads.

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd argue that most kids would feel bad about killing a HUMAN, no matter their nationality.

wahabism/any hard core sect of faith is a hell of a drug.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Another explosion about 10 minutes ago per Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/another-explosion-hits-brussels-belga-reports

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/22/brussels-attacks-show-how-global-terror-networks-act-local

quote:

Belgium’s foreign minister, Didier Reynders, said on Sunday that Abdeslam had told investigators he was planning a fresh attack in the capital. “He was ready to restart something in Brussels, and it may be the reality because we have found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons, in the first investigations and we have found a new network around him in Brussels,” Reynders said.
That network may have been able to act before security services rolled it up. It is possible it includes two other men suspected of playing major roles in the Paris attacks and who have been on the run since November.

Mohamed Abrini, 31, a Belgian of Moroccan origin, disappeared after allegedly playing a key part in the planning and logistics of the November attacks. He is a childhood friend of Abdeslam – their families used to be next-door neighbours in the Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek, where several of the Paris attackers were from – and was described on his international arrest warrant four months ago as “dangerous and probably armed”.
Police are also hunting for a suspect known only under the alias Soufiane Kayal. The man presented false papers in that name when he was checked at the Austria-Hungary border on 9 September. He was travelling with Abdeslam and Mohamed Belkaïd, a 35-year-old Algerian who was shot dead on Tuesday during a police raid in Brussels. The three men had posed as tourists heading to Vienna on holiday and did not raise suspicions.
But the network will include many others. It is clear from the amount of time Abdeslam spent on the run that he was looked after by dozens, if not scores of contacts. This is the reality of contemporary Islamic extremism in Europe. It is not about so-called lone wolves or solitary actors, but about a small but significant number people who are deeply embedded in broader communities or neighbourhoods.
These people either share the attackers’ extremist views, or are at the very least prepared to support them out of friendship or family ties, or both. Studies have shown that a very high proportion of militant attackers talk to others in their close social circles, hinting at their plans.
Some go to the police. A tipoff from within the community is believed to have led security forces to Abdeslam last week, according to French media. Others do not.

One problem for security services is that individuals who have only supported militants without acting violently themselves can easily and swiftly become bombers or gunmen in certain circumstances – such as the detention of a key member or orders from more senior commanders perhaps outside of the country.
Despite the global vision of the extremist ideologues and the portrayal of groups such as Islamic State and al-Qaida as international, however, such activism is fundamentally local.
Over the last decades, almost all attacks in Europe have involved local people attacking local targets with locally sourced materials and weapons. If the explosions on Tuesday morning in Brussels are indeed terrorist attacks, this is likely to be the case here too.
"Enemy within" really doesn't seem like an inaccurate or unreasonable description.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, didnt he wuss out at the last second or was he declared the "designated survivor" of the group by the ISIS dudes, you know the dude who will tell of their heroism

He wasn't in the IS video after the Paris attacks, so I'm gonna guess he wussed out

vv Yes that was DOVO, the bomb disposal squad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it was set off by the cops apparently. possible bomb disposal.

https://twitter.com/maryzimnik/status/712223277679161344

this guy probaly

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Reported to be a controlled explosion by officials
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/712226897506267136

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

willemw posted:

He wasn't in the IS video after the Paris attacks, so I'm gonna guess he wussed out

well i dont think he got out of brussles, but yeah i can believe that.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

GaussianCopula posted:

Reported to be a controlled explosion by officials
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/712226897506267136

Wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few of these, any bags lying around in those areas (or other potential targets) are gonna be treated with a lot of caution.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

duck monster posted:

What exactly is it about Belgium thats put such a bee in the jihadi dudes bonnet? I mean, its belgium, they dont really get up in peoples faces, unless its to give them some tasty beer some cool old monks made.

Well thats about the limit of my belgium knowledge, so why does belgium seem to be so prominent in terms of countries islamists dont like very much?
Capital of the EU, houses NATO headquarters, involved in wars in Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq,

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
And now apparently "confirmed" (by the metro operators) 15 people dead at the metro. Only seen heavily blurred ones, but seems like there are some pretty graphic images out there :(

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Celexi posted:

belgium is hosed

Europe is hosed. The fear generated by this is going to get stoked by every anti-Islam politician in the continent. People are gonna double down on their hatred and life is going to get a little more difficult for everyone.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

Can you explain why Belgium is so dysfunctional?
It isn't really, it's about as functional as your average European country.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Europe is hosed. The fear generated by this is going to get stoked by every anti-Islam politician in the continent. People are gonna double down on their hatred and life is going to get a little more difficult for everyone.

The kneejerk in the other direction that is bound to happen wil probably not help either

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

How dare those prosecutors? Why didn't they just cower and leave them alone?

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
In international reaction news, from the Guardian feed:

quote:

The chair of the Duma’s foreign policy committee, Alexei Pushkov, tweeted: “While Stoltenberg, is busy fighting the imaginary ‘Russian threat’ and putting troops in Latvia, under his nose in Brussels people are blown up.”

Stay classy, Pushkov.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

No, it's insinuating they were wrong to not properly respect the specific cultural sensitivities of some imagined 'Muslim community'. Or the self-evidently moronic notion that someone who blows himself up in a crowd of civilians is just following a path that's the logical endpoint of being microaggressed against by satirical cartoons. It's the suggestion that terrorism of this sort is self-inflicted and condign punishment for passing anti-burqa laws.
Alternatively, when we talk about racism and discrimination against muslims in Belgium, we also talk about things like discrimination and exclusion in the labour market. You know, real stuff.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

11 deaths, 81 wounded in Zaventem, according to the minister of health.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

How dare those prosecutors? Why didn't they just cower and leave them alone?

I think this person meant that the prosecutors revealed too much information to the media which caused this cell to spring into action. Fear of being caught or something. I think it's far-fetched, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JMolen posted:

The kneejerk in the other direction that is bound to happen wil probably not help either

Definitely. Both sides will rush to their stands further divide Europe with extremist remarks. It goes without saying that these things should never happen, but the timing on this is pretty horrible..

• Locked thread