Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

CSM posted:

Alternatively, when we talk about racism and discrimination against muslims in Belgium, we also talk about things like discrimination and exclusion in the labour market. You know, real stuff.

Well good thing austerity hasn't depressed wages and labor participation so your point is moot. Now, let us talk about how the moon god worshippers blow people up because a book tells them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fragrag posted:

They had one, which was run privately by one of the most prominent anti-Jihadi experts. And then the police arrested and brutalized him because he had copies of his book The Jihad Caravan in his car.
It's good that the Belgian police is so vigilant.

FourLeaf posted:

Can you explain why Belgium is so dysfunctional?
To simplify a bit, it's country made up of two roughly equal-sized ethnic groups, whose history is probably more characterized by competition between the two than cooperation, with shifting fortunes favoring one or the other.

That's probably more a result of Belgian dysfunction than the source. It's a pretty huge failure on the part of successive Belgian governments that they haven't shut that poo poo down though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The New Black posted:

In international reaction news, from the Guardian feed:

Stay classy, Pushkov.

There are reports that Russian special services have warned Belgium about upcoming attacks and even pointed out people who'd carried them out in the end. Among them were two brothers from Belarus.

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/hotspots/terror/22-03-2016/133885-belgium_terrorist_attack-0/

Obviously, may not be true.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Right now, casualty count is only about the size of a train accident, right? Ok, not panicking.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

meristem posted:

Right now, casualty count is only about the size of a train accident, right? Ok, not panicking.

yeah no worries only if casualties are like 20000 you should, under that is just life as usual in Syria Belgium

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/22/brussels-attacks-show-how-global-terror-networks-act-local

"Enemy within" really doesn't seem like an inaccurate or unreasonable description.

It is inaccurate and unreasonable because it's hopelessly vague, who is this enemy? Muslims, everyone in Molenbeek, non-white people? Such language only encourages painting huge numbers of people with the same brush and permitting fear and discrimination against them which is part of the cause of all of this.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

namesake posted:

It is inaccurate and unreasonable because it's hopelessly vague, who is this enemy? Muslims, everyone in Molenbeek, non-white people? Such language only encourages painting huge numbers of people with the same brush and permitting fear and discrimination against them which is part of the cause of all of this.

There seems to be at least a community in Molenbeek that aids and abets terrorists and I think it's fair to categorize these people as enemies within. I would go even further and classify anyone who is sympathetic with the goals of the terrorists as an enemy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deltasquid posted:

I think this person meant that the prosecutors revealed too much information to the media which caused this cell to spring into action. Fear of being caught or something. I think it's far-fetched, though.

This is what he was saying. As I said, it's speculation, but it's interesting. No doubt that Abdeslam's homies were watching his trial closely. I don't know what kind of information did or didn't make it to the press though.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Countries with little to no muslim population have no problems whatsoever with islamic terrorists. Just saying.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonnypeh posted:

Countries with little to no muslim population have no problems whatsoever with islamic terrorists. Just saying.

600,000 is a pretty small Muslim population.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

CSM posted:

Alternatively, when we talk about racism and discrimination against muslims in Belgium, we also talk about things like discrimination and exclusion in the labour market. You know, real stuff.

Poor Salah Abdeslam, getting fired for not showing up at work. No wonder he started mass murdering people after such oppression.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I was thinking more like 200.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Why are people jumping to conclusions that it's islamic terrorism? Is there any proof?
It could be a far right group as well.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

sparatuvs posted:

I have a friend in Brussels who was going home today.

Maybe rip

Checked in safe.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 22, 2016

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

GaussianCopula posted:

There seems to be at least a community in Molenbeek that aids and abets terrorists and I think it's fair to categorize these people as enemies within. I would go even further and classify anyone who is sympathetic with the goals of the terrorists as an enemy.

Worked in Northern Ireland!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

sparatuvs posted:

I have a friend in Brussels who was going home today.

Maybe rip

You know which plane he was going to get? The passengers for the morning BRU-JFK flight would have been checking in right next to the explosion at that moment.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jonnypeh posted:

I was thinking more like 200.

Hmm yes, Greenland doesn't have much of an issue with terrorism. Great points all round op.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Why are people jumping to conclusions that it's islamic terrorism? Is there any proof?

I saw a report that allah ackbars were heard, but we'll see. Odds are that's what it is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Volkerball posted:

5% of the population is a sizeable minority, actually.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Jeez, didn't realize it was that high.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I disable these "your friend soandso is marked as safe" in the Facebook app? Like I already know my friends are safe thanks I don't need Facebook pestering me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

5% of the population is a sizeable minority, actually.

He was referring to bulk numbers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CSM posted:

It isn't really, it's about as functional as your average European country.

That's a bit of a stretch. After the 2014 election it took them 139 days to put together a government. After 2010 it took them 541 days. After the 2007 election it took 197 days to merely get an interim government in place, it was another 3 months after that until a more long-term solution was worked out.

I don't see how that can be seen as anything but dysfunctional.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

HUMAN FISH posted:

Salah Abdeslam got arrested in Brussels last week, now this happens. That and there are still men belonging to his network that are on the run.... so it would make sense that it'd be Islamic terrorism. Though there isn't solid evidence yet.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't see why government dysfunction would imply muslim terror attacks.
If that was the case, the US would presumably be attack central.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

GaussianCopula posted:

right, but sadly Saudi Arabia have more money than you do, and everyone seems ok with the current situation

forkboy84 posted:

That's a bit of a stretch. After the 2014 election it took them 139 days to put together a government. After 2010 it took them 541 days. After the 2007 election it took 197 days to merely get an interim government in place, it was another 3 months after that until a more long-term solution was worked out.

Belgium voted a government with the express goal of ending the existence of Belgium, something which they may or may not have to actually attempt. They're a failed state.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

CeeJee posted:

Poor Salah Abdeslam, getting fired for not showing up at work. No wonder he started mass murdering people after such oppression.

Are you just dense? It's been shown time and again that isolating and oppressing people is a recipe for violence and extremism. That doesn't excuse their actions, but it does explain them.

You're proposing that we ignore the causes of extremism or trying to address them because doing otherwise is tantamount to sympathizing with terrorists. That's like not putting on your seatbelt because we shouldn't sympathize with drivers who cause crashes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

muslim terrorists = drivers who don't put on seatbelts
nice analogy

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
A talkhost of the Belgian radio station "MNM" saw it happen in the airport and was noticeably shocked and weeping.

MNM's talkhosts were also the ones talking on a morning in januari how they were all tired of all the extra security measures in Brussels in the wake of Paris, and that it should just be put back to normal. They made light of it and said something similar to that they'll just deal with it if something happens because "such is life" or some poo poo.

Well I hope they deal with it now, loving assholes.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Gyre posted:

Are you just dense? It's been shown time and again that isolating and oppressing people is a recipe for violence and extremism. That doesn't excuse their actions, but it does explain them.

You're proposing that we ignore the causes of extremism or trying to address them because doing otherwise is tantamount to sympathizing with terrorists. That's like not putting on your seatbelt because we shouldn't sympathize with drivers who cause crashes.

Okay but by itself isolation and oppression doesn't make a religious extremist suicide bomber. You missed a component in your analysis there. Y'know, the religion bit.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
gas

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shrike82 posted:

I don't see why government dysfunction would imply muslim terror attacks.
If that was the case, the US would presumably be attack central.
The US, surprisingly, is not particularly dysfunctional.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rakosi posted:

Okay but by itself isolation and oppression doesn't make a religious extremist suicide bomber. You missed a component in your analysis there. Y'know, the religion bit.

Yes, but at the same time, Bangladesh and India combined have over 300 million Muslims, yet have had less of an issue with Islamic terrorism over the last few years than Belgium and France, who have less than 6 million Muslims between them. There are a shitload of factors at play here, and none of them is really the dominant one.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Yes, but at the same time, Bangladesh and India combined have over 300 million Muslims, yet have had less of an issue with Islamic terrorism over the last few years than Belgium and France, who have less than 6 million Muslims between them. There are a shitload of factors at play here, and none of them is really the dominant one.

erm, Bangladesh and India have been grappling with domestic muslim terrorism bigger than anything seen in the West.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

forkboy84 posted:

Well for starters, 50 - 100 days formation periods aren't really that exceptional, and the way Belgium is organized it isn't all that consequential either. Everything is still functional, there are just no controversial political decisions (at the federal level) that get pushed through.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rakosi posted:

These guys aren't even religious to begin with. It's an identity issue. The guys they see fighting back who look like them and speak their language are using Islamist rhetoric, they want to be like these guys. Immigrant populations tend to form more extreme identities than their parents came with. Most Mahgreb countries have a pretty chill version of Islam anyway. The guys in Belgium get angry first, then find Wahabbi mosques second.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Volkerball posted:

Are you talking about bulk numbers here, too? Because this is factually incorrect.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

erm, Bangladesh and India have been grappling with domestic muslim terrorism bigger than anything seen in the West.

Attacks in India have almost all been done by Pakistani nationals. And Bangladesh hasn't had anything like this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Attacks in India have almost all been done by Pakistani nationals. And Bangladesh hasn't had anything like this.

lmao

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-a6914106.html

quote:

Islam could be dropped as Bangladesh’s official religion following a number of attacks in the country against people of other faiths.

Christians, Hindus and Muslim minority Shiites have recently faced attacks that are believed to have been carried out by Islamic extremists.
Islamist groups Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh and Ansarullah Bangla Team are believed to have carried out at least seven attacks on foreign and minority people in Bangladesh in the past year, and although the government denies there is an Isis presence in the country, it is believed members are increasingly being recruited from there.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Spangly A posted:

Belgium voted a government with the express goal of ending the existence of Belgium, something which they may or may not have to actually attempt. They're a failed state.
You know nothing about Belgian politics.

About 20% of Belgians (all of whom live in the northern part, Flanders) voted in the last election for the Flemish nationalists who ran on a program of devolving more powers from the federal government to the states. Since no other political parties besides the one actually wanted any of these reforms, a government was formed (including the nationalists) that doesn't even touch the subject.

Belgian politics often times seem more dysfunctional than they actually are. It's nothing compared to the US, which functions a lot more like a failed state with politicians barely able to actually govern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

menino posted:

These guys aren't even religious to begin with. It's an identity issue. The guys they see fighting back who look like them and speak their language are using Islamist rhetoric, they want to be like these guys. Immigrant populations tend to form more extreme identities than their parents came with. Most Mahgreb countries have a pretty chill version of Islam anyway. The guys in Belgium get angry first, then find Wahabbi mosques second.

But it's the Wahabbi mosques and the faith they peddle that get them to strap bombs to themselves. Disaffected youth is a global phenomenon, but the affliction seems to mutate rather nastily when mixed with Islamic extremist beliefs but no one wants to mention the I-word, as if it is some ingredient in a lethal cocktail which has to be censored out of any discussion on this brand of terrorism.

• Locked thread