Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I always get really disappointed when I see something with really nice potential that just turns out to totally suck. Sometimes it's that the people making it really could do better and got screwed over or lazy, other times it's a really good idea that just got horribly mishandled by incompetent people, or at a time where they just couldn't realize it. So let's just talk about that here, because there's loads of stuff over time that's just had horribly squandered potential.

I'm going to kick this off with two video game examples, just because they occurred to me the easiest:

First, I think we're genuinely worse off for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric sucking. Other famously bad Sonic games (namely 2006, but Shadow the Hedgehog, Heroes and Unleashed get rightful coppings too) had structural issues that sort of deserved to be knocked down; they were often rushed, bloated, poorly-directed and buggy, flaws that came from Sonic Team getting really complacent with what they were making. 2006 flopping was a wakeup call to jettison as much of the bloated mess of Sonic they'd been going through the motions of as possible, and they've generally been making good games since.

Rise of Lyric wasn't bad for those reasons, though. In fact, it failed when doing exactly the thing Sonic should have been doing all this time; trying something big, new and different, giving us a new gameplay style that could still be identifiably 'Sonic', and a writing and aesthetic direction that's more 'Saturday morning cartoon' and less 'melodramatic 90s anime'. All of that coming from a new studio comprised of ex-Naughty Dog devs sounded like not just a recipe for a good game, but exactly the sort of good game Sonic needed to have at the time.

Unfortunately, the result was utterly terrible in basically every way. If you aren't familiar with it, ProJared did a pretty good and succinct review of it here.

And for a less obvious one, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. An MMO installment of the JRPG franchise at around the time when a lot of them were trying much the same thing, most of them without a lot of success. Imagine's issues mostly stemmed from the companies working on it being really bad choices, with the developer Atlus collaborated with to make it--CAVE--abandoning it entirely after initial development to focus on their own games (almost entirely arcade shooters), and the international localizing and publishing of it given to Aeria, who barely supported it. Atlus eventually took the reins from both of them and started working on it themselves, but it was too late.

Which is a shame, because you could see evidence of a game that could have been fantastic in there. It was made around when Atlus was just going loving nuts with the SMT assets they made for the PS2 games, so it's got the same really neat, unearthly aesthetics as Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga The gameplay itself was a really solidly-inspired combination of a freeform take on MMO character progression and a modified version of SMT's own demon development, and the end result was surprisingly fun; I saw descriptions of it playing like a Pokemon MMO, and that's exactly right. It was ultimately a half-assed MMO, and eventually died like all half-assed MMOs do, but the ingredients of it deserved way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I wish whoever posts "This thread" would make a better joke.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Magnetic Fields' recent discography. They're one of my favorite bands, and I think Stephin Merritt is one of the best songwriters ever, but ever since Distortion ("i" wasn't great either, but it had it's moments) they've basically disappeared up their own asses. They've always been somewhat pretentious, but in the past they've always had really solid, interesting, extremely catchy songs to back it up. The recent stuff is just a slog. I've passed on seeing them the last few tours, because I know I'd probably sit there bored just waiting for them to play songs I actually care about.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Crow Jane posted:

The Magnetic Fields' recent discography. They're one of my favorite bands, and I think Stephin Merritt is one of the best songwriters ever, but ever since Distortion ("i" wasn't great either, but it had it's moments) they've basically disappeared up their own asses. They've always been somewhat pretentious, but in the past they've always had really solid, interesting, extremely catchy songs to back it up. The recent stuff is just a slog. I've passed on seeing them the last few tours, because I know I'd probably sit there bored just waiting for them to play songs I actually care about.

Yeah, I recently picked up a copy of Love at the Bottom of the Sea, read the lyrics in the liner notes, and realized it was an entire goddamn album of the twee filler crap from 69 Love Songs. I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it yet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I recently picked up a copy of Love at the Bottom of the Sea, read the lyrics in the liner notes, and realized it was an entire goddamn album of the twee filler crap from 69 Love Songs. I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it yet.

Which should theoretically be fine, some of that filler is great. Hell, I'm STILL finding new things to love about 69 Love Songs. They've just gotten so samey lately, which is a real shame considering they're a band that used to put tear-in-your-beer country songs next to dancey gay disco tracks and minimalist jazzy stuff and have it flow seamlessly.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Crow Jane posted:

Which should theoretically be fine, some of that filler is great. Hell, I'm STILL finding new things to love about 69 Love Songs. They've just gotten so samey lately, which is a real shame considering they're a band that used to put tear-in-your-beer country songs next to dancey gay disco tracks and minimalist jazzy stuff and have it flow seamlessly.

Yeah, I'm not saying that stuff is bad -- 69 Love Songs is shockingly close to perfect for an album with so drat many songs and so much breadth -- but an entire album of it just seems wearisome. Twee is best in small doses, in my opinion, and I definitely agree that MF is at their best when they're not just hitting the same note over and over again.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
http://www.amazon.com/Loftus-Bubble-Butt-Man/dp/B000JCOA00

It's very noisy and disappointing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

burexas.irom posted:

The Something Awful forums

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004
Life.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Quesalupa.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
present-day simpsons episodes

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
The endgame content of Stardew Valley

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The videogame "Dark Souls"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Buzkashi posted:

The endgame content of Stardew Valley

This, but Dark Spire.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Undertale fanart

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
"...And Justice For All" should be the greatest thrash metal album of all time, but loving Lars Ulrich ruined it. prick.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The trailer for Terminator Salvation made it look like that movie was going to be amazing, but the movie sucked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mister Adequate posted:

The videogame "Dark Souls"

Bloodborne.

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex
me. tons of potential, no motivation .

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Mass Effect sequels.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

AFewBricksShy posted:

The trailer for Terminator Salvation made it look like that movie was going to be amazing, but the movie sucked.

Not to mention the trailer spoiled the big dramatic reveal scene that he is actually a cyborg. Worst trailer/movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thwomp posted:

The Mass Effect sequels.

I guess I agree on this, but I don't know if I'd put them forward myself. I recognize they are good games on objective levels, and a much more solid experience than the first one, but they did that by removing everything I actually liked about the first one. ME1 had really neat if flawed takes on loot and character customization, and the more explorative style really worked for how I felt the game should have been designed. ...And then Mass Effect 2 came around and just replaced it with Gears of War, and Mass Effect 3 deciding what that needed was an unrelated multiplayer mode.

So I suppose I'd say the reverse--I wish the first Mass Effect didn't bungle enough of its awesome ideas that they threw them out for 2 and 3.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
Tofu. Why you gotta taste like that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Scrambled tofu is... ok.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Crunchwrap Supreme.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
OP's appearance on The F Plus.

Kidding! I love that episode.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Mar 23, 2016

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
Age of Ultron. At least Avengers was fun

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Arkham Knight. Especially on PC. What a colossal fuckup, and it still isn't really fixed even though it came out in August of last year.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oh dope posted:

"...And Justice For All" should be the greatest thrash metal album of all time, but loving Lars Ulrich ruined it. prick.

...huh? Is this about the thing where they turned the bass track down? Are you the one Jason Newsted fan on planet Earth?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The new Hitman sucks, which is unfortunate because all but the last one were really fun games. It's also stupid how they're slowly releasing it level by level. Maybe by the time it's fully released in a year they will have it running better.

The third and fourth Thief games were total bullshit compared to the first two, which is sad. I love the first two.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

oh dope posted:

I'm curious about what you mean as well. I mean, it's been a few years since I've listened but I don't remember anything glaringly wrong about it (other than the missing bass parts).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

this thread

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

burexas.irom posted:

damnit

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Purge. Cool premise for a movie that ends up taking place entirely in one house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jessica Jones. I really wanted to like that show, but the whole thing was brought down by the characters acting in certain ways specifically so that the plot could happen. Like the cop who was super gung-ho about killing Kilgrave not just loving shooting him. He's not bullet-proof and he can't stop you if you just shoot him before he notices you're there. Also the way they sort of teased giving us some insight into who Kilgrave is and why he's like that, but then kind of just dropped it before it got interesting.

The Phantom. Tony DePaul wrote some good stories but he apparently ran out of ideas a while back and it's just been garbage ever since.

Games with aspects that sound really neat but where the core gameplay is just not fun at all. For example, Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored, Alpha Protocol.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Youtube comments

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

op's mom

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer