Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Are nonbinary people entitled the platitude of correct gender pronouns or bathroom privileges based on their personal identity, any more or less than extremely religious people might feel entitled to their sensibilities not being offended, based on their personal religious identity?

(For example, that Amish community that wanted the police to not get involved on an Amish to Amish hate crime, or radical Muslims/Catholics that want Sharia/Papal law to trump Federal law.)

I am interested in your opinions.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Are nonbinary people entitled the platitude of correct gender pronouns or bathroom privileges based on their personal identity, any more or less than extremely religious people might feel entitled to their sensibilities not being offended, based on their personal religious identity?

gently caress you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Ethically, the only purposes for which someone might refuse to address people how they wish to be addressed are cruelty and the will to dominate, which are unethical.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
One is a person being able to define themselves. The other is a person being able to define others.

The first one is freedom, the second one is not freedom.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Only if the society as a whole allows it. If it doesn't well tough poo poo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, OP, if you change your pronouns on a regular basis, you do not get to just choose which bathroom you can use.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
The law still applies to trans people if that's what you were wondering OP. They don't get to have special trans courts and I don't believe they're asking for them either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GBS poster starts a topic and mixes two controversial opinions together? Checks out.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. In one case you're offending a person, in the other you're offending a religion and its branding. Thing is we, as a society, agree that we're okay with the latter so long as you don't use it to start fights.
"Personal religious identity" is actually not a thing. You can't identify as a religion in the same way you identify as a certain gender. You are a member of Club Christianity, you are not Christianity itself.

Just because religious fundamentalists don't like where society is going, doesn't mean that they can stop it due to cries of antireligion. They are not "entitled to their sensibilities" and the only time this comparison would make sense is if a person was using their gender to explicitly insult a religion.

(For example, that Amish community that wanted the police to not get involved on an Amish to Amish hate crime, or radical Muslims/Catholics that want Sharia/Papal law to trump Federal law.)

Any crime is required by law to be investigated by the police. The Amish' beliefs have no place here. I would say the same thing about Catholic firebombers and the Islamic attackers in Cologne. They committed a crime, their religion is irrelevant.
As for the latter, too bad but separation of church and state is a thing that exists.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This thread doesn't seem very well thought out considering you don't seem to know the meaning of the words you're using.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
If you respect trans people as being their identified gender (I do) then yes 100%. There is no reason not to, and as purely as we treat trans people globally I really doubt anyone is going to play the extremely long and bad con on this one like people seem to expect.

And even if you don't agree with the pronoun "privilege" I feel like you can (hopefully) at least respect it, in much the same way that you wouldn't (hopefully) casually address everyone you know with "hey rear end in a top hat"

Effectronica posted:

Ethically, the only purposes for which someone might refuse to address people how they wish to be addressed are cruelty and the will to dominate, which are unethical.

Very well said.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Note: while I do think SOME of the pronouns can be a little... involved, there's actually no reason at all for me to confront someone about it. If I'm legitimately worried for someone's well-being and I know them personally then I might say something, but otherwise there's no reason to deny their new pronouns no matter how seriously you take it unless you want to start a fight or just generally be an rear end

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Death Bot posted:

If you respect trans people as being their identified gender (I do) then yes 100%. There is no reason not to, and as purely as we treat trans people globally I really doubt anyone is going to play the extremely long and bad con on this one like people seem to expect.

What about genderfluid hipsters? In particular, genderfluid dragonkin/flowerkin transspecies hipsters who refer to themselves as "bloomself"?

at some point it's not a legit identity anymore, just attention seeking by neglected tweens

quote:

And even if you don't agree with the pronoun "privilege" I feel like you can (hopefully) at least respect it, in much the same way that you wouldn't (hopefully) casually address everyone you know with "hey rear end in a top hat"

I don't even know what you're going on about here, because this discussion hasn't been about checking you're privilege, but hey you're a dumb rear end in a top hat

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Crowsbeak posted:

Only if the society as a whole allows it. If it doesn't well tough poo poo.

gently caress transpeople if society doesn't think they have a right to determine their own identity.

Sure is some distilled crowsbeak in this post.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

What about genderfluid hipsters? In particular, genderfluid dragonkin/flowerkin transspecies hipsters who refer to themselves as "bloomself"?

at some point it's not a legit identity anymore, just attention seeking by neglected tweens

You're mixing up a bunch of different things here in order to smear one group of people. Nobody here is talking about furries or otherkin or whatever the gently caress, except you. And gently caress you if you think that has anything to do with people who are transgender.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

My point was no one cares if you disagree with their gender or whatever, just don't be a dick to people for no reason

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

"Yeah I've been thinking about my gender latel-" *weird man from Internet bursts in through window* "I'm here to tell you MY opinion"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

blowfish posted:

Why are you equating these things? Why did you immediately go off the deep end to the most extreme possible option?

The fluid nature of gender identity is a bit removed from otherkin, because we tend to all be humans but we don't tend to all have the same sex and gender, and we throw a lot of social baggage on that.

And does it really affect you if someone else is doing these things? If someone legit starts lobbying for flowerkin rights then we can laugh bloom out of the room. But if it's on someone's tumblr profile you should really stop getting mad at children IMO.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

gently caress transpeople if society doesn't think they have a right to determine their own identity.

Sure is some distilled crowsbeak in this post.

I'm just telling it as it is. Sorry the world isn't exactly as you want it. But then the Rolling stones wrote this great song about this.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm just telling it as it is. Sorry the world isn't exactly as you want it. But then the Rolling stones wrote this great song about this.

Got any hot takes about race relations while you're in the mood to tell it like it is? :allears:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

Got any hot takes about race relations while you're in the mood to tell it like it is? :allears:

Well you can try. But then starving children not proper pronouns is my priority.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If someone wants to invent a dumb pronoun and requests that you use it, the proper courses of action are a) respect their wishes because who gives a poo poo and who knows maybe it's not dumb, b) stop hanging out with that dumb person, c) talk to them about their reasons for their dumb pronouns so you can understand better. Being a dick to them is never acceptable.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Quorum posted:

Being a dick to them is never acceptable.

Lol what kind of retarded society do you want to live in.

Idiots doing dumb poo poo and demanding everyone respect their dumb poo poo because of their self-declared special snowflake status can and should be called out as idiots. Explaining to every idiot in detail why they are an idiot is futile given the effectively unlimited supply of idiots, and nobody should be required to waste their time doing it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK, here is my horrible take on the subject. Ready?

Trans people should only be allowed to use the type of bathroom that corresponds to their legal sex. At some point you gotta draw a line between the genderfluid dweebs and the real transgender people. Legal sex could be this line. If you went to all the trouble to change your legal sex, you are probably pretty serious about it.

If people ask nicely about using a specific pronoun, I will use it. Cause, why not? But i'm not going out of my way to learn new random pronouns of the day and try to "apply" them by myself. gently caress that, I'm way too old for that poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

Trans people should only be allowed to use the type of bathroom that corresponds to their legal sex. At some point you gotta draw a line between the genderfluid dweebs and the real transgender people. Legal sex could be this line. If you went to all the trouble to change your legal sex, you are probably pretty serious about it.
Whoa. Stop being so reasonable reactionary :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

waitwhatno posted:

I think people should probably be obliged to choose which gender they want to be treated as on a legal basis i.e. for things like bathrooms, hospitals/prisons, etc., if only because our system is so set up around the dichotomy that changing it anytime in the near future seems nightmarishly complicated. It should be possible to change one's legal status, multiple times in one's life if need be, but it shouldn't be a "what day of the week is it?" situation (not that anybody other than strawpersons was calling for it to be).

I've managed to make this statement without, I hope, snarkily invalidating anybody without a binary gender

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People die, have died, and will continue to die over religious entitlement, it is very much here to stay. The pronoun thing, let's be nice about it, I think.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

"Religious personal identity" is actually not a thing. You can't identify as a religion in the same way you identify as a certain gender. You are a member of Club Christianity, you are not Christianity itself.

Why is it valid to personally identify as a member of one social construct and not the other? There is no difference between gender and religious identity.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Crowsbeak posted:

Crowsbeak posted:

Well you can try. But then starving children not proper pronouns is my priority.

Might makes right, philosophy 101 yeah yeah we get it and knew it already. Thanks for your incredibly obvious, incredibly valuable contribution to a thread discussing what we should be doing with that might.

waitwhatno posted:

If people ask nicely about using a specific pronoun, I will use it. Cause, why not? But i'm not going out of my way to learn new random pronouns of the day and try to "apply" them by myself. gently caress that, I'm way too old for that poo poo.

Yeah I agree 100%. I'm not going to call you "xir" but if you want to be gender-neutral the singular "them" is a lovely word that already exists and is severely underused in English IMHO.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bathrooms should all be unisex, gently caress it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Why is it valid to personally identify as a member of one social construct and not the other? There is no difference between gender and religious identity.

It's actually OK to make fun of gender. lovely comedians and TV show producers have turned bad woman/men jokes into a multi billion $ industry.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean, if you want to directly compare the gender thing to the religious thing, I would argue that religious people should have exactly the same rights as transgender people, and vice versa. I fully oppose transgender people making laws that marginalize non-transgender people. I'm not aware of any cases where that's happened, but if it were to, I'd be opposed :shrug: Likewise, I support the right of anyone to identify with and move through society as a member of the religion of their choice, as long as they don't invalidate or marginalize others.

(nb-- things that do not marginalize or invalidate cisgendered people: Making an effort to use someone's preferred pronoun. Letting someone use the restroom that most closely matches their preferred gender, as long as they've demonstrated the usual bona fides. Letting someone have equal access to medical care and protections of the law. Etc. etc.)

The "but which identity is the most rightest kind of identity?" stuff is sort of a red herring IMO, at least when we're talking about practical social policy rather than, say, scientific inquiry. Both categories of identity should, all else being equal, be more than tall enough to ride the rollercoaster of respect and human dignity.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Wheeee posted:

im fine with this as long as all of them have urinals

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Everyone should agree this is a good thing. Genitals are a thing people usually have and people shouldn't get too worked up over things everyone has.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

XMNN posted:

Male privilege on display right here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Urinals own, 10x better than a couch or whatever bs they put in ladies room these days.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

waitwhatno posted:

Why are you anti gender equality!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Wheeee posted:

Yeah, really the problem is that trans people are direct attacks on our existing world of gender segregation, where men and women were different species, who had to be protected and infantalized in different ways. Basically, we're still working on actually integrating women as accepted parts of society as equals and not just property to be protected (and doing this in a way without discounting the value of femininity!).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

waitwhatno posted:

Trans people should only be allowed to use the type of bathroom that corresponds to their legal sex.

good thing that is super easy to do in every state and not something that takes a long time during which period you sitll have to use the wrong bathroom

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

XMNN posted:

what is it with men and being so into this whole peeing standing up thing. why is it such a big deal to you all? you should just sit and relax like normal people.

theres also the whole "can't pee next to the other man thing" like basically y'all are neurotic messes about bathrooms as far as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i sit down to pee and, hell, i like it

• Locked thread