Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
speaking as a person who has used unisex bathrooms, also is friends with a bunch of women who have used the same unisex bathrooms, they're alright, and not a problem. namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I am asking how this is to be enforced. If that's not what you meant, please retract it instead of acting incredulous when I respond to the words that you say.

How do we currently enforce that men don't go into woman bathroom? Whatever it is, it works fantastic. Can you figure out what it is?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

waitwhatno posted:

How do we currently enforce that men don't go into woman bathroom? Whatever it is, it works fantastic. Can you figure out what it is?

You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding the question.

1. You are proposing that the difference exists because it is a "huge effort to legally change your sex".

2. Therefore, it must be extremely difficult for someone who has not had their birth certificate updated but can still pass successfully to use their proper restroom.

3. Therefore, you should outline this mechanism.

Alternatively, you are saying that it is the fact of changing what's on the birth certificate which determines gender.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Octatonic posted:

what is it with men and being so into this whole peeing standing up thing. why is it such a big deal to you all? you should just sit and relax like normal people.
Why should I need to explain myself to you? Why should anyone?

quote:

theres also the whole "can't pee next to the other man thing" like basically y'all are neurotic messes about bathrooms as far as i can tell
I don't care about this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kilroy posted:

Why should I need to explain myself to you? Why should anyone?

I don't care about this.

Why are you defensive about this?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You seem to be deliberately misunderstanding the question.

1. You are proposing that the difference exists because it is a "huge effort to legally change your sex".

2. Therefore, it must be extremely difficult for someone who has not had their birth certificate updated but can still pass successfully to use their proper restroom.

3. Therefore, you should outline this mechanism.

Alternatively, you are saying that it is the fact of changing what's on the birth certificate which determines gender.

OK, I can already see that you are not going to come up with the solution. Here is the answer:

For the most part, people follow social norms and rules willingly, without the need to enforce them through violence or intimidation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

waitwhatno posted:

OK, I can already see that you are not going to come up with the solution. Here is the answer:

For the most part, people follow social norms and rules willingly, without the need to enforce them through violence or intimidation.

Is there some sort of dread curse on you, preventing you from following the social norm of clarifying what you meant?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

One is a person being able to define themselves. The other is a person being able to define others.

The first one is freedom, the second one is not freedom.

Isn't civil society fundamentally based on limiting the absolute freedom of the individual?

I don't understand the ethical justification for maximizing individual freedom, thst seems like a fundamentally anti-social attitude.

The only people who can freely define themselves are total psychotics living outside of the social realm, they are free to believe they are whatever they please, up to and including Napoleon or Jesus.

Our identities are not, and have never been, our own. They are forged in the fires of society, cut by the limitations imposed by an Other, and only seen by us through the reflections in the eyes of our neighbors.

From the moment the toddler achieves the Mirror Stage and begins forming their own ego, their own sense of self as a complete and autonomous being, they begin relying on external cues to limit and determine the contours of their identity.

Children who fall down often look at the reaction of their parents before they begin (or don't) crying, as if they need e outside world, society as they know it, to inform them of their own subjective experience of pain. Children learn from others what to desire.

Our identity is formed by the millions of little interactions that someone has with the world, and as such, our identities are Social Constructs.

This doesn't mean, like some people think, thst we should be free to monopolize them if we please. My identity exists only in relation to other people in society, and is shaped by the symbolic boundaries and expectations that come from from others.

So if our social identities are communally formed, and negotiated between the subject and other people on society and the shape of the symbolic space that mediates these social relations.....where do these gender activists get the idea that their own private conception of themselves should trump everyone else's, amd why do they expect an ethical injunction to dictate that everyone else, the world, conform to their own imagination?

TLDR: I get the idea of just being nice and polite and humoring people, but >99.9% of people have no choice I'm their gender. I didn't choose my gender, and my gender hasn't always been peachy perfect for me, I haven't always felt like an ideal Platonic from of my gender, but I never got to choose it. Individuals are determined by society, they don't get to determine society, and trying to force society to conform to your own inner narrative seems authoritarian in nature

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

There isn't really a social norm for trans people and bathrooms.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Isn't civil society fundamentally based on limiting the absolute freedom of the individual?

I don't understand the ethical justification for maximizing individual freedom, thst seems like a fundamentally anti-social attitude.

The only people who can freely define themselves are total psychotics living outside of the social realm, they are free to believe they are whatever they please, up to and including Napoleon or Jesus.

Our identities are not, and have never been, our own. They are forged in the fires of society, cut by the limitations imposed by an Other, and only seen by us through the reflections in the eyes of our neighbors.

From the moment the toddler achieves the Mirror Stage and begins forming their own ego, their own sense of self as a complete and autonomous being, they begin relying on external cues to limit and determine the contours of their identity.

Children who fall down often look at the reaction of their parents before they begin (or don't) crying, as if they need e outside world, society as they know it, to inform them of their own subjective experience of pain. Children learn from others what to desire.

Our identity is formed by the millions of little interactions that someone has with the world, and as such, our identities are Social Constructs.

This doesn't mean, like some people think, thst we should be free to monopolize them if we please. My identity exists only in relation to other people in society, and is shaped by the symbolic boundaries and expectations that come from from others.

So if our social identities are communally formed, and negotiated between the subject and other people on society and the shape of the symbolic space that mediates these social relations.....where do these gender activists get the idea that their own private conception of themselves should trump everyone else's, amd why do they expect an ethical injunction to dictate that everyone else, the world, conform to their own imagination?

TLDR: I get the idea of just being nice and polite and humoring people, but >99.9% of people have no choice I'm their gender. I didn't choose my gender, and my gender hasn't always been peachy perfect for me, I haven't always felt like an ideal Platonic from of my gender, but I never got to choose it. Individuals are determined by society, they don't get to determine society, and trying to force society to conform to your own inner narrative seems authoritarian in nature

TLDR because it doesn't really matter what you've got between your legs and people who think it does are dumb.

There's no actual need for you to define what is and isn't acceptable in the junk-having department so don't. This is not an issue where individual freedom needs to be curtailed for the good of society.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

JerryLee posted:

I mean, if you want to directly compare the gender thing to the religious thing, I would argue that religious people should have exactly the same rights as transgender people, and vice versa. I fully oppose transgender people making laws that marginalize non-transgender people. I'm not aware of any cases where that's happened, but if it were to, I'd be opposed :shrug: Likewise, I support the right of anyone to identify with and move through society as a member of the religion of their choice, as long as they don't invalidate or marginalize others.

(nb-- things that do not marginalize or invalidate cisgendered people: Making an effort to use someone's preferred pronoun. Letting someone use the restroom that most closely matches their preferred gender, as long as they've demonstrated the usual bona fides. Letting someone have equal access to medical care and protections of the law. Etc. etc.)

The "but which identity is the most rightest kind of identity?" stuff is sort of a red herring IMO, at least when we're talking about practical social policy rather than, say, scientific inquiry. Both categories of identity should, all else being equal, be more than tall enough to ride the rollercoaster of respect and human dignity.

How would you respond to a woman who argues that having to call a transwoman a "woman", diminishes her own feminine identity which was formed through a lifetime of experiences as a girl, being treated by others as a girl, and learning first hand what it means to be a girl in a world dominated by men. If someone who grew up being treated as a male, who never had those formative experiences as a young girl, demands to be considered equivalent to a woman, would she be wrong to consider it another case of authentic feminine subjectivity being reduced to the male fantasy of femininity?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How would you respond to a woman who argues that having to call a transwoman a "woman", diminishes her own feminine identity which was formed through a lifetime of experiences as a girl, being treated by others as a girl, and learning first hand what it means to be a girl in a world dominated by men. If someone who grew up being treated as a male, who never had those formative experiences as a young girl, demands to be considered equivalent to a woman, would she be wrong to consider it another case of authentic feminine subjectivity being reduced to the male fantasy of femininity?

That if her concept of her self worth is so damaged by other people having different conceptions of self worth then she needs to re-examine her concept of self worth.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yes, she would be wrong. First of all, because she is an imperialist, viewing her perception of femininity as the only true one, and determining all women outside of her culture, class, and circumstances to be fake plastic women. Second of all, because she's ignorant of the fact that feminine norms must necessarily be known by men so that they can know how to avoid acting like a woman, and so that they can properly police gender boundaries.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't really a social norm for trans people and bathrooms.

TLDR because it doesn't really matter what you've got between your legs and people who think it does are dumb.

There's no actual need for you to define what is and isn't acceptable in the junk-having department so don't. This is not an issue where individual freedom needs to be curtailed for the good of society.

I didn't say anything at all about genitals or chromosomes or whatever, I'm speaking strictly in socio-symbolic terms.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Effectronica posted:

Why are you defensive about this?
"you should just sit and relax like normal people"

It's awfully presumptuous to tell me how I should urinate and downright stupid to call it abnormal when half the population does it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't say anything at all about genitals or chromosomes or whatever, I'm speaking strictly in socio-symbolic terms.

Same is true for gender roles. They're dumb, and not required.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kilroy posted:

"you should just sit and relax like normal people"

It's awfully presumptuous to tell me how I should urinate and downright stupid to call it abnormal when half the population does it.

Why are you so defensive about this? I read it too, and I didn't give a gently caress, so why do you give a gently caress? Are you feeling the ol' castration anxiety?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Effectronica posted:

Is there some sort of dread curse on you, preventing you from following the social norm of clarifying what you meant?

Maybe he does. Who are you to judge?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Effectronica posted:

Why are you so defensive about this? I read it too, and I didn't give a gently caress, so why do you give a gently caress? Are you feeling the ol' castration anxiety?
Just replying to a post? You seem to infer something that isn't there, like I'm getting the vapors or something. In fact I just read something dumb and thought to respond.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

In the sense I can't kill you and/or steal your possessions without some kind of negative repercussions happening to me.

If I want to go by Bill instead of my current name that's entirely different. How I define myself has extremely little bearing on you and thus does not need to be limited, unless asking you to use a different name when referring to me is somehow that much of a burden.

quote:

You're Jim and you're a fireman. Go put out fires.

By your logic, if enough people agree with me, you are now Jim the fireman and are obligated to put out fires.

That is, of course, ridiculous. You've gone too far in the other direction and give people no freedom to define themselves. While people are influenced by their environment, that influence is not as absolute as you make it sound. You treat people like empty shells rather than intelligent minds, like robots responding to programming and inputs instead of emotional and thinking creatures.

quote:

Sex is the biological trait. Gender is also a social construct. A female gets pregnant. A woman is expected to find a man who financially supports her and have children. The two have historically had a relationship, but it's not necessary that they do, once you get past the idea of limited gender roles determined by sex.

What is society besides a collection of individuals? Is society some sort of outside force, a wizard in a castle that says on the megaphone that disco is no longer popular? The individuals within society act, and those actions are what determines society. Without the individuals and their choices of action, there wouldn't be society.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

That if her concept of her self worth is so damaged by other people having different conceptions of self worth then she needs to re-examine her concept of self worth.

I don't think you are in a position to tell someone how to value their self worth, but that's not even what I'm talking about.

It's not about self worth, it's about the qualitatively different subjective experience of growing up as a female in the eyes of society than growing up as a male and transitioning

Consider the phenomenon of "mansplaining". Why do women find it offensive ? Is it not because of the dominating privileged presumption that a man can speak for both genders? Can someone who grew up as a male really, truly understand how the Male Gaze affects women in the same way as a woman who has been subjected to it since puberty (and before)?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

In the sense I can't kill you and/or steal your possessions without some kind of negative repercussions happening to me.

If I want to go by Bill instead of my current name that's entirely different. How I define myself has extremely little bearing on you and thus does not need to be limited, unless asking you to use a different name when referring to me is somehow that much of a burden.

If I get a restraining order on you, should you be allowed to bypass it by changing your name?

Our identities carry crucial social functions outside of our own minds

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kilroy posted:

Just replying to a post? You seem to infer something that isn't there, like I'm getting the vapors or something. In fact I just read something dumb and thought to respond.

Funny, I also read something dumb and thought to respond. I genuinely want to know why you're taking that post seriously, instead of being a joke.

I don't think you are in a position to tell someone how to value their self worth, but that's not even what I'm talking about.

It's not about self worth, it's about the qualitatively different subjective experience of growing up as a female in the eyes of society than growing up as a male and transitioning

Consider the phenomenon of "mansplaining". Why do women find it offensive ? Is it not because of the dominating privileged presumption that a man can speak for both genders? Can someone who grew up as a male really, truly understand how the Male Gaze affects women in the same way as a woman who has been subjected to it since puberty (and before)?

Can a woman growing up in the Mayan culture of Chiapas really understand what it's like to be an American woman? Do the two have much in common at all which isn't shared by a trans woman? Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Deconstructing the symbolic relations that keep the social space consistent for your own satisfaction is selfish and anti-social

Our identities are not just for our own solipsistic naval gazing, they function as anchor points for other people to form their own identities.

This is the reason certain social identities are protected. You cannot put on a police uniform and walk around pretending to be a police officer, even if it's just for your own amusement. A teacher at a school cannot have a side job as a porn star. There are reasons for this, and the reasons extend beyond the mind of that individual.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She is welcome to not re-examine it but she will probably continue to feel very uncomfortable if she does not. Her discomfort does not afford her the right to tell other people how they can live, either, thus self-reflection would appear to be the most elegant solution.

I don't know why people find men being mouthy annoying, I imagine it could be for a variety of reasons, there are plenty of them. However I would suggest that there is a difference between men being mouthy at women because they're idiots and a person expressing their identity. As long as the trans person is not requiring all women in the world to share their sense of identity I fail to see why theirs should not be as legitimate as any other?

There is a difference between "I require my identity as a cis woman to be enforced on everyone else to feel validated" and "I require my identity as a trans woman to not be shat on by everyone else in the world to feel validated"

One is a desire for the individual liberty to be at least tolerated by your peers, the other is the desire for dissenting opinions to be exterminated so you can feel better about yourself.

Deconstructing the symbolic relations that keep the social space consistent for your own satisfaction is selfish and anti-social

Our identities are not just for our own solipsistic naval gazing, they function as anchor points for other people to form their own identities.

This is the reason certain social identities are protected. You cannot put on a police uniform and walk around pretending to be a police officer, even if it's just for your own amusement. A teacher at a school cannot have a side job as a porn star. There are reasons for this, and the reasons extend beyond the mind of that individual.

Demolishing everyone else's preferences to enforce your chosen identity on the world in order to validate it is selfish and antisocial. Having a dissenting opinion is absolutely not.

Your identity is entirely for your own solipsistic navel gazing, and the sooner you realize that the happier you will be.

The reason you cannot pretend to be a police officer is a very practical one. The reason a teacher cannot also be a porn star is entirely a construct of lovely attitudes about women and sex, and is a very good example of something which should be destroyed because it is indefensible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 23, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If I get a restraining order on you, should you be allowed to bypass it by changing your name?

Our identities carry crucial social functions outside of our own minds

Who said that I was transforming my identity into another person? I am merely defining me. I am the same physical, mental, and legal entity. Saying I'm Bill now doesn't change that I'm me, it merely refines that concept.

A transperson isn't a new creature, they're the same person as before, just with a new understanding of themselves.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Funny, I also read something dumb and thought to respond. I genuinely want to know why you're taking that post seriously, instead of being a joke.

Can a woman growing up in the Mayan culture of Chiapas really understand what it's like to be an American woman? Do the two have much in common at all which isn't shared by a trans woman? Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

it would be inappropriate for an Americam woman to put on some Mayan clothing and walk around demanding thst they treat her just like one of their own.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Effectronica posted:

The post itself wasn't actually humorous and I've seen that sentiment expressed in earnest before, so it didn't occur to me that it was meant as a joke. If so then Poe's Law strikes again I guess.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Words to Victor Frankenstein Above the Village of Chamounix posted:

The attribution of monstrosity remains a palpable characteristic of most lesbian and gay representations
of transsexuality, displaying in unnerving detail the anxious, fearful underside of the current cultural
fascination with transgenderism. (2) Because transsexuality more than any other transgender practice or
identity represents the prospect of destabilizing the foundational presupposition of fixed genders upon
which a politics of personal identity depends, people who have invested their aspirations for social
justice in identitarian movements say things about us out of sheer panic that, if said of other minorities,
would see print only in the most hate-riddled, white supremacist, Christian fascist rags. To quote
extensively from one letter to the editor of a popular San Francisco gay/lesbian periodical:

I consider transsexualism to be a fraud, and the participants in it . . . perverted. The
transsexual [claims] he/she needs to change his/her body in order to be his/her "true self."

Because this "true self" requires another physical form in which to manifest itself, it must
therefore war with nature. One cannot change one's gender. What occurs is a cleverly
manipulated exterior: what has been done is mutation. What exists beneath the deformed
surface is the same person who was there prior to the deformity. People who break or
deform their bodies [act] out the sick farce of a deluded, patriarchal approach to nature,
alienated from true being.

Referring by name to one particular person, self-identified as a transsexual lesbian, whom she had
heard speak in a public forum at the San Francisco Women's Building, the letter-writer went on to say:

When an estrogenated man with breasts loves a woman, that is not lesbianism, that is
mutilated perversion. [This individual] is not a threat to the lesbian community, he is an
outrage to us. He is not a lesbian, he is a mutant man, a self-made freak, a deformity, an
insult. He deserves a slap in the face. After that, he deserves to have his body and mind
made well again. (3)

When such beings as these tell me I war with nature, I find no more reason to mourn my opposition to
them -- or to the order they claim to represent -- than Frankenstein's monster felt in its enmity to the
human race. I do not fall from the grace of their company -- I roar gleefully away from it like a Harleystraddling,
dildo-packing leatherdyke from hell.

it would be inappropriate for an Americam woman to put on some Mayan clothing and walk around demanding thst they treat her just like one of their own.

Ah, dodging the question, I see.

My Words to Victor Frankenstein Above the Village of Chamounix posted:

The stigmatization fostered by this sort of pejorative labelling is not without consequence. Such words
have the power to destroy transsexual lives. On January 5, 1993, a 22-year-old pre-operative
transsexual woman from Seattle, Filisa Vistima, wrote in her journal, "I wish I was anatomically
'normal' so I could go swimming. . . . But no, I'm a mutant, Frankenstein's monster." Two months later
Filisa Vistima committed suicide. What drove her to such despair was the exclusion she experienced in
Seattle's queer community, some members of which opposed Filisa's participation because of her
transsexuality -- even though she identified as and lived as a bisexual woman. The Lesbian Resource
Center where she served as a volunteer conducted a survey of its constituency to determine whether it
should stop offering services to male-to-female transsexuals. Filisa did the data entry for tabulating the
survey results; she didn't have to imagine how people felt about her kind. The Seattle Bisexual
Women's Network announced that if it admitted transsexuals the SBWN would no longer be a
women's organization. "I'm sure," one member said in reference to the inclusion of bisexual transsexual
women, 4 6 the boys can take care of themselves." Filisa Vistima was not a boy, and she found it
impossible to take care of herself. Even in death she found no support from the community in which
she claimed membership. "Why didn't Filisa commit herself for psychiatric care?" asked a columnist in
the Seattle Gay News. "Why didn't Filisa demand her civil rights?" In this case, not only did the angry
villagers hound their monster to the edge of town, they reproached her for being vulnerable to the
torches. Did Filisa Vistima commit suicide, or did the queer community of Seattle kill her? (4)

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Who said that I was transforming my identity into another person? I am merely defining me. I am the same physical, mental, and legal entity. Saying I'm Bill now doesn't change that I'm me, it merely refines that concept.

A transperson isn't a new creature, they're the same person as before, just with a new understanding of themselves.

So you are still the same legal entity? The law treats men and women differently in certain cases, like with public bathrooms. How does changing one's understanding of themselves supersede that?

You say you are changing "me", but maintaining that they are the same person as they were before.

If the transition is purely in their own understanding of themselves, why should there be any expectation of others to go along with that?

The issue I disagree with is, is this idea that your identity is something private and that exists only in your own mind. It's just not, it's a social formation that exists only insofar as it is mediated by society.

There is no "you" outside of the symbolic supports of society, you need other people to validate and confirm your social identity and because of that, your identity is not entirely your own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So you are still the same legal entity? The law treats men and women differently in certain cases, like with public bathrooms. How does changing one's understanding of themselves supersede that?

You say you are changing "me", but maintaining that they are the same person as they were before.

If the transition is purely in their own understanding of themselves, why should there be any expectation of others to go along with that?

The issue I disagree with is, is this idea that your identity is something private and that exists only in your own mind. It's just not, it's a social formation that exists only insofar as it is mediated by society.

There is no "you" outside of the symbolic supports of society, you need other people to validate and confirm your social identity and because of that, your identity is not entirely your own.

Society should afford you as much leeway as it can to make decisions about who you want to be, because there is no justification for doing otherwise. Sex, sexuality, and gender are issues where there is 0 justification for not affording people more or less complete freedom to self determine.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Ah, dodging the question, I see.

Again, I have not once mentioned genitals, I have not once argued that ones body they are born with should be the absolute determinate factor I'm not trying to make that argument, it seems irrelevant

What I'm saying is that your identity is not your own. It's a socially formed construct that is determined by, and which also determines, external social relations with other people.

I'm saying your identity is produced by society and is therefore at least partially owned by society. Other people depend on your identity too, it's not all about you and your own satisfaction.

I'm arguing in favor of other people in society, and suggesting that this effort to monopolize one's social presence is selfish and authoritarian. You are demanding that everyone else adjust to the identity you came up with in your head.

it seems obvious that "cultural appropriation" is bad, like a suburban white kid dressing up and acting the way he imagines black people act. We can all see how thst might offend some people if he walked into black neighborhood and started talking to everyone about his thoughts on race relations, as a black man. Race is a social construct just as much as gender, why is this considered inappropriate though? So why is "gender appropriation" considered okay?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is the reason certain social identities are protected. You cannot put on a police uniform and walk around pretending to be a police officer, even if it's just for your own amusement.

That's because being a police officer involves legally-granted authority beyond the average person, such as arresting and transport to prison etc. Mimicking a police officer is a threat to the social order because misrepresenting that authority threatens the stability in a variety of ways. Even if I personally do it for fun and don't abuse the authority, there are enough advantages for a person to exploit for nefarious purposes that it isn't allowed.

Saying I'm Bill now or a man saying she's a woman does not threaten stability unless we really are on the world's slipperiest slope. There is no legally-granted authority to Bills or to women that I could abuse. I cannot say my profession is whatever and expect the privileges that come with it, like police and the power of arrest. But what privileges are their to my name, or gender identity?

We disagree on a rather fundamental level, then, but I understand where you're coming from a bit better.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Again, I have not once mentioned genitals, I have not once argued that ones body they are born with should be the absolute determinate factor I'm not trying to make that argument, it seems irrelevant

What I'm saying is that your identity is not your own. It's a socially formed construct that is determined by, and which also determines, external social relations with other people.

I'm saying your identity is produced by society and is therefore at least partially owned by society. Other people depend on your identity too, it's not all about you and your own satisfaction.

I'm arguing in favor of other people in society, and suggesting that this effort to monopolize one's social presence is selfish and authoritarian. You are demanding that everyone else adjust to the identity you came up with in your head.

it seems obvious that "cultural appropriation" is bad, like a suburban white kid dressing up and acting the way he imagines black people act. We can all see how thst might offend some people if he walked into black neighborhood and started talking to everyone about his thoughts on race relations, as a black man. Race is a social construct just as much as gender, why is this considered inappropriate though? So why is "gender appropriation" considered okay?

No you see because you don't think everyone is a special little unique snowflake you are a fascist.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Society should afford you as much leeway as it can to make decisions about who you want to be, because there is no justification for doing otherwise. Sex, sexuality, and gender are issues where there is 0 justification for not affording people more or less complete freedom to self determine.

You don't see the irony of arguing thst people should have more liberty in perceiving things the way they want, while in the very next sentence brutally asserting that There. Is. Zero. Justification. for X?

But okay, if we accept your line of thinking here, why is cultural appropriation considered a bad thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are arguing merely for the status quo, by your logic society should not change because doing so would require people to dissent from it, because from dissent comes change and from change comes a new society.

The fundamental basis of the argument for the acceptance of nonbinary sex, gender, and sexuality is that society can be remade to function better than it currently does.

Conservatism for its own sake on the basis that dissent is "authoritarian and selfish" is absurd.

You don't see the irony of arguing thst people should have more liberty in perceiving things the way they want, while in the very next sentence brutally asserting that There. Is. Zero. Justification. for X?

But okay, if we accept your line of thinking here, why is cultural appropriation considered a bad thing?

Cultural appropriation is considered a bad thing because of the power imbalance involved. It is almost universally one way and done without the consent of the individuals concerned. It serves as a tool of oppression. There is nothing inherently wrong with dressing in clothes you don't understand, merely that doing so contributes to the wider cultural conquest and erasure of the culture with less money behind it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pictured: a person who is legally a woman using the womens' restroom. As this person is legally a woman, surely no one would object.

For a fun game read this as referring to gay marriage. It's very easy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

"Society", if it is sophontic, minded, hnau, whatever you wanna call it, does not interact on a personal level with us. So if your identity is owned by society, the owner is an absentee landlord. Since identity is owned by society and you, other people have no claim on it and your argument falls apart.

But if we mean by society that we are to conform to whatever the majority wants, I declare that this means that you would have cheerfully sent people to Auschwitz and I will not associate myself with such a craven person.

Crowsbeak posted:

No you see because you don't think everyone is a special little unique snowflake you are a fascist.

You cowardly crustacean of a man, crawl out from your shell and make a drat argument. This is the internet, and all that will happen is the mild sting of the possibility someone who you view with utter contempt anyways might laugh, or, worse, post earnestly at you. Say what you want to say, instead of merely hinting at it, you hermit crab in human guise.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 23, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

That's because being a police officer involves legally-granted authority beyond the average person, such as arresting and transport to prison etc. Mimicking a police officer is a threat to the social order because misrepresenting that authority threatens the stability in a variety of ways. Even if I personally do it for fun and don't abuse the authority, there are enough advantages for a person to exploit for nefarious purposes that it isn't allowed.

That's fair, it was a bad example.

quote:

Saying I'm Bill now or a man saying she's a woman does not threaten stability unless we really are on the world's slipperiest slope. There is no legally-granted authority to Bills or to women that I could abuse. I cannot say my profession is whatever and expect the privileges that come with it, like police and the power of arrest. But what privileges are their to my name, or gender identity?

The privilege is just the experience of seeing the world from a certain perspective which is generally not accessible from the other perspective. I just don't think someone who grew up as a male can ever really understand the experience of growing up as a female and I think that experience (as varied as it may be) is part of what constitutes real femininity.

It's like, I trust my Swedish friend when she gives her opinions as a Swede in America, but if someone born in Mexico decided they wanted to identify with Swedish identity, would it be wrong of me or my Swedish friend to reject their thoughts of America from a Swedish perspective?

quote:

We disagree on a rather fundamental level, then, but I understand where you're coming from a bit better.

Well cheers on a productive discussion, helping each other see each others point of view

Civility reigns!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Are you suggesting that cultural appropriation should be illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's like, I trust my Swedish friend when she gives her opinions as a Swede in America, but if someone born in Mexico decided they wanted to identify with Swedish identity, would it be wrong of me or my Swedish friend to reject their thoughts of America from a Swedish perspective?

And yet when trans people speak about their experiences, better look out cause CommieNedFlanders has a theory and knows better than you!

• Locked thread