Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If Trump defeats Hillary Motherfucking Clinton the GOP would pretty much have fall in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Thank you knight for defeating the dragon that was killing and burning us, now kindly gently caress off.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

quoting DNC chair debbie wasserman-schultz: “[superdelegates] exist... to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don’t have to be in a position where they are running against grassroots activists."

debbie wasserman-schultz is a bought-and-sold idiot who doesn't understand the fundamentals of democratic process or how her party's bylaws reflect that process.

EDIT: to elaborate, her admitting how she and other cronies subvert their party's electoral rules for their own benefit should not be mistaken as the actual purpose of those rules.

Tricky D fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 23, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Current chair of the DNC is the former campaign co-chair of one of the candidates

SEEMS LEGIT

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Dude he is not going to tell anyone in the establishment to gently caress themselves. He is not going to make himself vulnerable to be a lame duck, he might go against the GOP on some issues like free trade but he isn't going to start nominating Supreme Court justices his party won't approve because it will make him look bad. Trump is going to do what the GOP wants so he can do what he wants because otherwise it is a bad deal for both of them. He is going to compromise like crazy so he doesn't become a lame duck and that means being another cog in the GOP machine.

Trump is not going to do anything that he doesn't want to do just because the GOP says he has to. He's already taken positions that go against 50+ years of conservative orthodoxy like opposition to "free" trade deals and huge permanent overseas military bases

I'm not saying that he's going to disagree with the GOP a lot, but he will on some of their worst policies. I think the chances of him even seeking a second term are 50/50 because this is as much a vanity project for him as anything else. and he doesn't care at all about making GOPers mad at him or harming the party

he's way outside the mainstream GOP on the national level and that is a very positive thing for America and the GOP. At the very same moment the Democrats finish their conversion into the Wall Street Party, the GOP is going to go populist with somebody that rejects a large portion of traditional conservatism as we know it. That makes sense and is something we should embrace even if we could never see ourselves voting for Trump

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Let's also not forget that some of his foreign policy advisers have ties to Russian oligarchs and Putin. Considering that Putin had been bankrolling the rebirth of European far right nationalists, Trump might even be some sort of Manchurian Candidate that will end up selling out Europe to Putin's Russia.

:pwn:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

AugmentedVision posted:

How can you not see that your conjecture is just as baseless and arbitrary as the people saying that he's a secret liberal? Who's to say the GOP doesn't wake up and realize that Trump is the way forward? (That's not my actual position, it's just another random possibility that has as much basis as everything else people are bringing up)

The establishment already accepts Trump, they are already writing policy for him for the general. Trumps staff is all establishment from the tea party and the Bush years too. Even if he leads to a wave of Trumplites he has to make it through 2 years of the establishment in the house who will not work with him unless he does what they want, just like Obama did. Trump will get no support from the Dem party so his only path to doing anything as president is to work with the GOP because otherwise every EO he passes will get voted down by both the republicans and the democrats working together to burn the guy who won't work with either of them.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
ok

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

City of Tampa posted:

Trump is not going to do anything that he doesn't want to do just because the GOP says he has to. He's already taken positions that go against 50+ years of conservative orthodoxy like opposition to "free" trade deals and huge permanent overseas military bases

I'm not saying that he's going to disagree with the GOP a lot, but he will on some of their worst policies. I think the chances of him even seeking a second term are 50/50 because this is as much a vanity project for him as anything else. and he doesn't care at all about making GOPers mad at him or harming the party

he's way outside the mainstream GOP on the national level and that is a very positive thing for America and the GOP. At the very same moment the Democrats finish their conversion into the Wall Street Party, the GOP is going to go populist with somebody that rejects a large portion of traditional conservatism as we know it. That makes sense and is something we should embrace even if we could never see ourselves voting for Trump

Trump only disagrees with the establishment on planned parenthood, the war in Iraq, NATO and trade deals. He is not some liberal savior hoodwinking the party. The GOP is as much in the pocket of Wall Street as the dems and Trump will help those people with giant tax cuts designed by the GOP, look at the policies on his website he is as right as Cruz and Kasich on 90% of the issues and he will not snub the party because it is literally the only means he has to get stuff done in office

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I have a hard time believing that Trump, if elected, intends to do anything beyond "be the president."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tricky D posted:

I have a hard time believing that Trump, if elected, intends to do anything beyond "be the president."

Be the president and steal money from the US treasury to get himself out of debt, leave after one term. Or be killed or impeached before his first term is up.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The best part of this election is the establishment republicans underestimating trump as a candidate because they were glued to their TV sets for Jon Stewart's farewell tour.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

exethan posted:

The best part of this election is the establishment republicans underestimating trump as a candidate because they were glued to their TV sets for Jon Stewart's farewell tour.

Establishment republicans don't seem like the type to watch Jon Stewart

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

he has to make it through 2 years of the establishment in the house who will not work with him unless he does what they want, just like Obama did. Trump will get no support from the Dem party so his only path to doing anything as president is to work with the GOP because otherwise every EO he passes will get voted down by both the republicans and the democrats working together to burn the guy who won't work with either of them.

this scenario is infinitely preferable to Hillary Clinton finding what common ground that she can with the Republicans and loving us twice as hard as Trump would be able to

Trump only disagrees with the establishment on planned parenthood, the war in Iraq, NATO and trade deals. He is not some liberal savior hoodwinking the party. The GOP is as much in the pocket of Wall Street as the dems and Trump will help those people with giant tax cuts designed by the GOP, look at the policies on his website he is as right as Cruz and Kasich on 90% of the issues and he will not snub the party because it is literally the only means he has to get stuff done in office

no he's definitely not liberal, but he's not a fascist either. However, disagreeing with the mainstream Dem/Repub consensus on foreverwar in the middle east, plus opposing destructive trade deals does put him to the left of Hilary on those issues and they are pretty huge and important ones

so I'm supposed to hate him because he's going to give rich people a tax break? Hell, Obama made the Bush tax cuts permanent after explicitly running against them in 2008. yeah it sucks but I'll get over it if it means that we aren't going to invade any more countries in the middle east and we will have legislative gridlock instead of Hillary making 'grand bargain"-style deals with the Repubs

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Trumps proposed tax cuts are pretty huge, but he's also running on a platform of paying for the tax cuts by closing the tax loopholes that allow really rich people to basically not pay taxes. Everyone knows about tax loopholes but strangely you never hear politicians talk about them.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

City of Tampa posted:

Trump is not going to do anything that he doesn't want to do just because the GOP says he has to. He's already taken positions that go against 50+ years of conservative orthodoxy like opposition to "free" trade deals
He has always said he supports free trade. "I'm a free trader." "I am all for free trade." "I'm for free and fair trade. After all, I do business all over the world." When pressed for detail on his "opposition", he says certain terms of specific agreements benefit foreign sovereign nations at the expense of the US and they should be renegotiated. Ignoring that it would take longer than a whole term to even lay the groundwork for a new agreement and that the historically exceptional strength of the US's negotiating position naturally decreases every year with the global proliferation of information and technology, there is no evidence to support the belief that more favorable terms for the "US" means increased jobs/wealth for regular people over multinationals/small number of consulting firms designing better robots. Many of his supporters seem to think that because he attacks others on NAFTA and TPP that he opposes globalism or wants more unskilled labor or something.

quote:

and huge permanent overseas military bases

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Goons will do anything to avoid talking about Sanders winning some states.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

emoji posted:

He has always said he supports free trade. "I'm a free trader." "I am all for free trade." "I'm for free and fair trade. After all, I do business all over the world." When pressed for detail on his "opposition", he says certain terms of specific agreements benefit foreign sovereign nations at the expense of the US and they should be renegotiated. Ignoring that it would take longer than a whole term to even lay the groundwork for a new agreement and that the historically exceptional strength of the US's negotiating position naturally decreases every year with the global proliferation of information and technology, there is no evidence to support the belief that more favorable terms for the "US" means increased jobs/wealth for regular people over multinationals/small number of consulting firms designing better robots. Many of his supporters seem to think that because he attacks others on NAFTA and TPP that he opposes globalism or wants more unskilled labor or something.

he opposes the TPP and that alone makes him much better than Hillary on trade, not to mention that he is on record being in favor of protectionist trade policy in the form of tariffs on imported goods which is something Democrats abandoned at least a generation ago.

He doesn't have to find a way to undo the existing trade deals (although that would be nice) he just has to prevent the one huge nuclear bomb of a trade deal from happening, and I trust that he would do that. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

also, he says that he would close overseas military bases and/or charge the countries that host them for the protection they provide. just saying that in 2016 American politics is almost revolutionary in itself.

Yeah, I know that he also said that he would have the hugest, classiest military the world has ever seen. He's a bit of a wildcard on this issue.

But you know who isn't? Hillary Clinton. We know that she will not cut a dollar or a single troop from the military, will escalate our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and will advocate for military intervention as the first solution to almost any situation in the middle east. So I don't how she is supposed to be preferable.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

City of Tampa posted:

he opposes the TPP and that alone makes him much better than Hillary on trade, not to mention that he is on record being in favor of protectionist trade policy in the form of tariffs on imported goods which is something Democrats abandoned at least a generation ago.

He doesn't have to find a way to undo the existing trade deals (although that would be nice) he just has to prevent the one huge nuclear bomb of a trade deal from happening, and I trust that he would do that. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

also, he says that he would close overseas military bases and/or charge the countries that host them for the protection they provide. just saying that in 2016 American politics is almost revolutionary in itself.

Yeah, I know that he also said that he would have the hugest, classiest military the world has ever seen. He's a bit of a wildcard on this issue.

But you know who isn't? Hillary Clinton. We know that she will not cut a dollar or a single troop from the military, will escalate our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and will advocate for military intervention as the first solution to almost any situation in the middle east. So I don't how she is supposed to be preferable.

There are several people in GBS who unironically believe Trump will start WW3

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

Trump is the most moderate Republican candidate since Dole, and is to the left of Hillary on several important issues like "free trade" and military adventurism.

don't buy the "Trump is Hitler" shtick because it's ridiculous, he terrifies the establishment because his candidacy represents a transformation of the Republican Party into a stable, populist party that is much more representative of it's voters and is a rejection of traditional conservative orthodoxy

meanwhile Hillary is 100% pure unadulterated 1980's Republican

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Germstore posted:

Trumps proposed tax cuts are pretty huge, but he's also running on a platform of paying for the tax cuts by closing the tax loopholes that allow really rich people to basically not pay taxes. Everyone knows about tax loopholes but strangely you never hear politicians talk about them.

Maybe you're on 4th level irony but 'closing tax loopholes" is like boring campaign promises 101. Close tax loopholes, make the tax code simpler, really stick it to those IRS guys that nobody likes.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ThaGrandCow posted:

EDIT: just going to say, if Bernie isn't getting the nomination, I'm going Trump.

If America won't vote for the leader it needs, I'm going to vote for the leader it deserves. We apparently can't vote for progressive politics so I'll vote for regressive politics that are so bad that the entire world rejects it.

Just write in Sanders

If Trump wins and there's millions of sanders write ins, it'll be funny as heck

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

Trump is the most moderate Republican candidate since Dole, and is to the left of Hillary on several important issues like "free trade" and military adventurism.

don't buy the "Trump is Hitler" shtick because it's ridiculous, he terrifies the establishment because his candidacy represents a transformation of the Republican Party into a stable, populist party that is much more representative of it's voters and is a rejection of traditional conservative orthodoxy

meanwhile Hillary is 100% pure unadulterated 1980's Republican

On the one hand, Reaganomics and neoliberalism have decimated the working class and shifted power into the hands of the wealthy elite like never before

On the other hand, abuela yaaaaaas am I rite chillary memes

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

Cuntspiracy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

establishment from the tea party

lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

notable Republican establishment figure Karl Hungus, of the powerful and well-defined seven-year-old tea party machine

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Just write in Sanders

If Trump wins and there's millions of sanders write ins, it'll be funny as heck

given how salty the Democrats still are about Nader "stealing their votes" I'm already jazzed for Sanders to become the Satan figure in a whole new religion for racist soccer moms

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Don't be worried about Sanders supporters voting for Trump out of spite. I'm looking forward to voting for Trump but if Cruz makes it, I'm voting for Clinton. Either of them would be fine but Cruz inspires no positive feelings in me at all. Of course I wasn't enthralled with Romney either.

Why doesn't Clinton just suck it up and in a few months get Sanders to be her VP so she doesn't lose all those millennials? Then again if Cruz does that for Trump after stealing the nomination to prevent a third party run this race will get even more interesting.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Crazy Mike posted:

Don't be worried about Sanders supporters voting for Trump out of spite. I'm looking forward to voting for Trump but if Cruz makes it, I'm voting for Clinton. Either of them would be fine but Cruz inspires no positive feelings in me at all. Of course I wasn't enthralled with Romney either.

Why doesn't Clinton just suck it up and in a few months get Sanders to be her VP so she doesn't lose all those millennials? Then again if Cruz does that for Trump after stealing the nomination to prevent a third party run this race will get even more interesting.

the only way Cruz is picking anyone for VP at this point is if he kills Trump in single combat

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i'm just gonna write in "osiris" and then move to the secret passage in king tut's tomb

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the only way Cruz is picking anyone for VP at this point is if he kills Trump in single combat
Maybe he'll call in Jeb! to do it. Just impossible to know at this point.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that said i too hope that bernie sanders will throw in his lot with the warmongering welfare-looting imprison-more-people-than-Stalin walking humanitarian crisis so we can introduce all the millennials to soul-deadening cynicism and get them to stop banging on about social justice and changing the world

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I think a lot of jail sentences in the 1930s USSR were commuted to death by firing squad or deliberate starvation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't think it's fair to pin her mediocre performance in the recent years on her, as SecState she really couldn't mass execute citizens the way an executive headman can but she really tried her best in Libya and Honduras and all

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Sans superdelegates (and perhaps even with them), it is also mathematically unlikely Hillary hits 2,383. Bernie can then use the convention platform to make demands like free nugz and full communism.

There is a plan and I am down with it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i've decided i'm going to smoke weed whether the establishment says i can or not :flip:

we didn't have to do this the hard way, but here we are

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

I look forward to trump bulldozing the White House and building his pyramid tomb in its place

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I find it amusing that some people think they know what trump will or wont do based on things he's said. He's made it very clear that he says literally whatever the particular group he's talking to wants to hear (including you, you moron)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
^^ He's the "Hope and Change" candidate for the GOP. ^^

Yudo posted:

Sans superdelegates (and perhaps even with them), it is also mathematically unlikely Hillary hits 2,383. Bernie can then use the convention platform to make demands like free nugz and full communism.

There is a plan and I am down with it.

She only needs 33% of the remaining delegates to hit 2,383.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Tricky D posted:

^^ He's the "Hope and Change" candidate for the GOP. ^^

She only needs 33% of the remaining delegates to hit 2,383.

Without superdelegates she needs about 50% which is not impossible but doesn't seem likely. Getting over the threshold with superdelegates is fine, but generally there is a quid pro quo when that happens (see 2008). Hence the platform fight over nugz and communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I guess when u think about it, it's like.. who gives a gently caress cuz the dems are gonna lose, you know? Who cares if they're picking candidates with coin flips or dice rolls or whatever

• Locked thread