Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

That's a quote from another Orwell essay.

Orwell did have dumb opinions sometimes. He could be pretty sexist, for example.

quote:

One of the surest signs of his [Joseph Conrad's] genius is that women dislike his books.

That said, his columns hold up better than those of most op-ed writers today.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Technology is for nerds imo

R. Mute posted:

I should probably clarify that nerds are bad

Not sure what the intended level of irony is when you post this on the Internet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Orwell was the Christopher Hitchens of his time, a right winger claiming to be a Trotskyist while trying to undermine the left movement in England and supporting imperialism but he if he made the point that the technology of the last century brought more grief than alleviated it he would be right.

I don't think Orwell claimed to be a Trot.

Notes on Nationalism posted:

The fact that Trotskyists are everywhere a persecuted minority, and that the accusation usually made against them, i. e. of collaborating with the Fascists, is obviously false, creates an impression that Trotskyism is intellectually and morally superior to Communism; but it is doubtful whether there is much difference.

Having said that, his views did change over time, generally in a rightward direction. Prior to the Spanish Civil War, he sometimes expressed anti-anti-communist sentiments he would later have ridiculed. Immediately after the Spanish Civil War, he was essentially a Trot (though he didn't call himself that). By the end of his life, he seems like a moderate social democrat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've never been clear if by "fruit juice drinkers" Orwell meant teetotalers, people who overzealously proselytize about the health benefits of fruit juice, or people on fad diets where you eat and drink nothing but fruit juice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

orwell hated ghandi which makes him ok in my book.

To say he hated him would be overstating it considerably. Orwell's evaluation of Gandhi was pretty nuanced.

• Locked thread