Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yeah, removing Saddam Hussien caused a power vacuum that lead to the rise of ISIS. Saddam was pretty bad, but not as bad as Assad.

Are you saying that Assad is in the right...because he's really not. Just because the West screwed up badly in the Middle East doesn't excuse every Middle Eastern crackpot who likes to commit genocide in thier spare time. And I'm pretty sure that if you use the term 'zionism' outside of the Israel/Palestine land dispute, that's a massive dogwhistle right there. So the CIA and possibly the Jews are behind it all! :tinfoil:

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sorcery posted:

It's funny how you people feign concern for the 10s of millions of people that Stalin supposedly killed - according to CIA "historians" like Conquest, Kotkin, Snyder, et al - and yet you don't give a poo poo at all for the millions of people dying - right now - as a result of western imperialism. Who gives a poo poo that a quarter of a million Syrians have been killed by US-backed death squads. After all, Assad is goofy looking. Same goes for Gaddafi. Who cares about the literally millions of Iraqis that have been murdered since Operation Desert Storm. Sadam was a "bad guy" and the price was worth it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8. Milosevic was a bad guy too so let's drop the depleted uranium. NATO blew up a hospital in Afghanistan? Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons.

It's confusing that you think Stalin is good but also seem to care about killing innocents.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The soviets were correct to support the afghan government and America's fanning of jihadist flames to spite them has hosed the middle east for over three decades now lol

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, removing Saddam Hussien caused a power vacuum that lead to the rise of ISIS. Saddam was pretty bad, but not as bad as Assad.

Are you saying that Assad is in the right...because he's really not. Just because the West screwed up badly in the Middle East doesn't excuse every Middle Eastern crackpot who likes to commit genocide in thier spare time.

"sure we destroyed most of the arab world, and are working on destroying the rest, but at least the locals don't have to suffer that totalitarian drinking water anymore"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HorseLord posted:

"sure we destroyed most of the arab world, and are working on destroying the rest, but at least the locals don't have to suffer that totalitarian drinking water anymore"

Yes, America screwed up, and that justifies people like Assad making things worse because...? He's not white? He's not American? What?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
have you noticed whenever america wants to overthrow a government, they present them as being even worse than the last government they overthrew

like, "no, really you guys! i know the last time we destroyed a state it turned out to be a bad idea, but actually this time it's a good idea! for realzies!"

if Syria is successfully destroyed we'll get chumps like oldmeme going "yeah, removing Assad caused the islamic state to literally become the defacto government of Syria. Assad was pretty bad, but not as bad as [Whoever will be running Iran in 5 years]"

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Yes, America screwed up, and that justifies people like Assad making things worse because...? He's not white? He's not American? What?

Assad is not making things worse, he is trying not to have the country he's president of be destroyed by people who claim to be "moderate rebels" right up until America's cheques clear and then admit they're actually ISIS.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
it's weird how the same people who'll do poo poo like deny America is a colonial power also have no problem whatsoever with the idea America gets to pick and choose if a foreign government is legitimate or not

az
Dec 2, 2005

I told you guys, I told you we would hit peak horselord sooner or later.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

az posted:

I told you guys, I told you we would hit peak horselord sooner or later.

beats being a dronie

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

HorseLord posted:

like, "no, really you guys! i know the last time we destroyed a state it turned out to be a bad idea, but actually this time it's a good idea! for realzies!"
Hey loser,

no one is defending Amerikkka in this thread.

Stalin murdered a lot of innocent people through policy and the OP disputed that, now people are pointing out how wrong that is. Doesn't make them McCarthy acolytes.

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Are you saying that Assad is in the right...because he's really not. Just because the West screwed up badly in the Middle East doesn't excuse every Middle Eastern crackpot who likes to commit genocide in thier spare time. And I'm pretty sure that if you use the term 'zionism' outside of the Israel/Palestine land dispute, that's a massive dogwhistle right there. So the CIA and possibly the Jews are behind it all! :tinfoil:

Your question is incoherent. What you and I think about Assad is of no relevance, since neither of us are Syrian citizens. If Syrians are dissatisfied with their government that is a matter for them to sort out. But you seem to want to have it both ways. On the one hand you feign concerns for Syrians while nurturing some racist fantasy of the president of Syria as being some kind of bug-eyed savage who needs to be put down by the noble white-supremacist empire. On the other hand, you are happy to see hundreds of thousands of Syrians butchered, and millions displaced, by US-backed mercenaries (the overwhelming majority of whom are foreign to Syria) because in your mind there is no distinction to be made between the population of a country and it's head of state. You've already decided that Assad is a "bad guy" (what a childish view of the world you have, and so arrogant too) and needs to be deposed (perhaps by a noose, like Saddam, or by being publicly sodomized with a knife, like Gaddafi) despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of Syrians support Assad http://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2016/03/13/syria-dispatch-most-syrians-support-assad-reject-phony-foreign-revolution.html. Assad IS Syria, in your mind, ergo Syria must be destroyed, and the Syrian people exterminated simply to satisfy your philistine sensibilities.

Perhaps in ten years, after the consequences are readily apparent, you'll claim that American involvement is Syria was "a terrible idea" while continuing to insist that Assad was "pretty bad" - Worse, even, than Saddam! But yeh, keep telling yourself that Stalin was a bad guy.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HorseLord posted:

Assad is not making things worse, he is trying not to have the country he's president of be destroyed by people who claim to be "moderate rebels" right up until America's cheques clear and then admit they're actually ISIS.

Here's a shocker...maybe both Assad AND ISIS are both evil war criminals, and neither of them should run the country? The choice between murderous fanatics and a murderous dictator isn't exactly the best choice. You can't blame everything on America - suprisingly, Arabs do have the abilty to think and act for themselves! They don't sit around waiting for what the CIA and the west tell them to do, like some kind of terrorist white man's burden thing.

Assad has torture dungeons or political opponents, uses barrel bombs to inflict additional damage on civil targets such as schools and hospitals, rigged the elections, worked with ISIS to get cheap oil. Because the guy who thinks its ok to fill oil barrels with shards of metal and explosives and drop them on playgrounds is such a great misunderstood guy, and needs defending by armchair warriors in the west. But you know, Amerikkka always bad, not the guy who has killed 20,000 of his own people with barrel bombs, he's just a plucky little guy standing up to the big bad West.

Useful idiots 2.0, for the online age.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Budzilla posted:

Hey loser,

no one is defending Amerikkka in this thread.
read oldmeme's bad posts on how he thinks america doing "oopsies" is better than, say, not doing that

Budzilla posted:

Stalin murdered a lot of innocent people through policy and the OP disputed that, now people are pointing out how wrong that is. Doesn't make them McCarthy acolytes.

no he didn't unless you redefine "innocent" to mean "guilty of counterrevolutionary activity" in which case killing "innocent" people owns

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Assad has torture dungeons or political opponents, uses barrel bombs to inflict additional damage on civil targets such as schools and hospitals, rigged the elections, worked with ISIS to get cheap oil. Because the guy who thinks its ok to fill oil barrels with shards of metal and explosives and drop them on playgrounds is such a great misunderstood guy, and needs defending by armchair warriors in the west.

Torture dungeons! GASP - good lord!! And BARREL bombs too! Why doesnt Assad use SMART bombs, I wonder, like the ones NATO uses to destroy hospitals and weddings in Afghanistan??

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Yo check it *pukes a wall of text no one cares about and a hilarious link*

And that's why I'm naming my son Stalin Assad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sorcery posted:

Torture dungeons! GASP - good lord!! And BARREL bombs too! Why doesnt Assad use SMART bombs, I wonder, like the ones NATO uses to destroy hospitals and weddings in Afghanistan??

Neither of those are good things you idiot why is this so hard to grasp.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sorcery posted:

Your question is incoherent. What you and I think about Assad is of no relevance, since neither of us are Syrian citizens. If Syrians are dissatisfied with their government that is a matter for them to sort out. But you seem to want to have it both ways. On the one hand you feign concerns for Syrians while nurturing some racist fantasy of the president of Syria as being some kind of bug-eyed savage who needs to be put down by the noble white-supremacist empire. On the other hand, you are happy to see hundreds of thousands of Syrians butchered, and millions displaced, by US-backed mercenaries (the overwhelming majority of whom are foreign to Syria) because in your mind there is no distinction to be made between the population of a country and it's head of state. You've already decided that Assad is a "bad guy" (what a childish view of the world you have, and so arrogant too) and needs to be deposed (perhaps by a noose, like Saddam, or by being publicly sodomized with a knife, like Gaddafi) despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of Syrians support Assad http://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2016/03/13/syria-dispatch-most-syrians-support-assad-reject-phony-foreign-revolution.html. Assad IS Syria, in your mind, ergo Syria must be destroyed, and the Syrian people exterminated simply to satisfy your philistine sensibilities.

Perhaps in ten years, after the consequences are readily apparent, you'll claim that American involvement is Syria was "a terrible idea" while continuing to insist that Assad was "pretty bad" - Worse, even, than Saddam! But yeh, keep telling yourself that Stalin was a bad guy.

They DID try and sort it out - remember the Arab Spring. Assad's response was to murder them all. People backed Assad because they thought a strong government could protect them from terrorist groups, but Assad has failed to do that, and has killed more people than ISIS have!

Thinking that the Syrian people have the right to a free democracy like they wanted, and to live in thier own land free from jihadis and government oppression = thinking they should all be killed? What kind of nonsensical strawman is that? I went to a conference on the Syrian crisis, and heard first hand accounts of what things are like in there. Syria deserves peace. Same with Russia, they deserved a proper leader, not a homicidal nutter like Stalin.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sorcery posted:

No lie this post owns hard.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Here's a shocker...maybe both Assad AND ISIS are both evil war criminals, and neither of them should run the country? The choice between murderous fanatics and a murderous dictator isn't exactly the best choice. You can't blame everything on America - suprisingly, Arabs do have the abilty to think and act for themselves! They don't sit around waiting for what the CIA and the west tell them to do, like some kind of terrorist white man's burden thing.

Hillary Clinton, my old friend...

you say "The choice between murderous fanatics and a murderous dictator isn't exactly the best choice.", yet america chooses. They fund the murderous fanatics. They have done, on and off, since the Afghans asked the USSR for help in 1979.

America does this because these fanatics will do the dirty work for them. the work of overthrowing a government which does not play ball with america's interests.

This I absolutely can, should, will, and do blame America for. Because America has chosen to do this of their own violation.

OldMemes posted:

Assad has torture dungeons or political opponents, uses barrel bombs to inflict additional damage on civil targets such as schools and hospitals, rigged the elections, worked with ISIS to get cheap oil. Because the guy who thinks its ok to fill oil barrels with shards of metal and explosives and drop them on playgrounds is such a great misunderstood guy, and needs defending by armchair warriors in the west. But you know, Amerikkka always bad.

Let's break this down bit by bit. Very little of what you have said is true, but I will gloss over that to draw some comparisons!

OldMemes posted:

Assad has torture dungeons or political opponents,
Gitmo and hundreds of CIA black sites.

OldMemes posted:

uses barrel bombs to inflict additional damage on civil targets such as schools and hospitals
Using drones (present day) and smart bombs (1990s, yugoslavia) to inflict additional damage on civil targets such as schools, hospitals, weddings, water purification plants...

OldMemes posted:

rigged the elections
America also has a long tradition of rigging elections

OldMemes posted:

Because the guy who thinks its ok to fill oil barrels with shards of metal and explosives and drop them on playgrounds is such a great misunderstood guy
America drones playgrounds.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Barrel bombs = bad way to die
Drones = happy nice way to die

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Neither of those are good things you idiot why is this so hard to grasp.

The Syrian people have a right to defend their country from foreign US-backed mercenaries. No amount of hand-wringing about "barrel" bombs and torture dungeons (as if the US does not have the worlds largest prison population per capita in the world, and the most inhuman "criminal" "justice" system to boot) can change that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not even a American. I do however know that two wrongs don't make a right!

In America, you get a fair trial, and have certain rights in jail, even if they're not enfroced well. Not so much in Syrian torture bunkers.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 4, 2016

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

They DID try and sort it out - remember the Arab Spring. Assad's response was to murder them all. People backed Assad because they thought a strong government could protect them from terrorist groups, but Assad has failed to do that, and has killed more people than ISIS have!

Thinking that the Syrian people have the right to a free democracy like they wanted, and to live in thier own land free from jihadis and government oppression = thinking they should all be killed? What kind of nonsensical strawman is that? I went to a conference on the Syrian crisis, and heard first hand accounts of what things are like in there. Syria deserves peace. Same with Russia, they deserved a proper leader, not a homicidal nutter like Stalin.

so you went to a conference where the CIA told you that the Syrian government (who are in the way of american interests) are worse than ISIS (who aren't in the way of american interests) and so funding "Moderate rebels" (ISIS) is okay.

I've got a right corker of a bridge going cheap if you need one mate

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

I'm not even a American. I do however know that two wrongs don't make a right!

which is why you support the wrongs america does?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HorseLord posted:

so you went to a conference where the CIA told you that the Syrian government (who are in the way of american interests) are worse than ISIS (who aren't in the way of american interests) and so funding "Moderate rebels" (ISIS) is okay.

I've got a right corker of a bridge going cheap if you need one mate

It was an NGO conference on human rights, no government involved, unless the CIA spends time also somehow controls every single NGO around the world.

And America/the west does bad things yes. But that makes it ok for Assad to do worse things somehow? Like, the Vietnam war was terrible, but that didn't give the Khmer Rogue the ok to carry out their own genocide, unless you're going to deny that one too?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 4, 2016

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I was watching The Simpsons the other day and suddenly the CIA brainwashed me now I think Stalin was a bad guy help me please

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I'm not even a American.

Yeh, sure.

Tell me more about those "fair" trials that America's overwhelmingly black and brown prisoners enjoy.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

It was an NGO conference on human rights, no government involved.

lol

OldMemes posted:

And America/the west does bad things yes. But that makes it ok for Assad to do worse things somehow? Like, the Vietnam war was terrible, but that didn't give the Khmer Rogue the ok to carry out their own genocide, unless you're going to deny that one too?

okay here's the setup

America wants a government it can't control destroyed, so it paints them the darkest way possible, with no regards to if anything they say is true or not because the intended audience (pig poo poo ignorant people who get told what to think by tabloids) can't go over there themselves and check.

you believe them, and based on this information, venture forth with your shiny new opinion: "okay, so, america does bad stuff, but they told me this other guy is bad, so i guess it wouldn't be awful if they kinda maybe destroyed his country a bit?"

if you were not a dipshit you'd consider that, perhaps, one of the bad things america does is to lie about its enemies?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HorseLord posted:

if you were not a dipshit you'd consider that, perhaps, one of the bad things america does is to lie about its enemies?

:ssh: We can accept that a lot of the Red Scare stuff was pure propoganda, that doesn't make Stalin a good guy or a great leader :ssh:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sorcery posted:

Yeh, sure.

Tell me more about those "fair" trials that America's overwhelmingly black and brown prisoners enjoy.

Really, I've never been to America. I know that the US jail system is unfair to people of colour, but at least rights are codified in law, and the government can't just dissapear you to a torture bunker on American soil like Assad can on Syrian soil.

I think you wildly over estimate how powerful the CIA is. It's not some kind of New World Order thing where they literally control everything.

You do realise there are first hand testimonies by Syrians about what's happening in there, since a lot of Syrians are well educated and tech savvy? OIr are they all CIA agents as well?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Bonus: the khmer rouge was literally propped up by the USA, specifically to attack vietnam with

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012
capitalism is superior to socialism. In socialism "innocent" people recieve "show trials" before being sent to "gulags". In the land of the free, people - mainly black and brown, to be sure - recieve "fair" trials before going to "correctional facilities" where they are "fairly" raped and "treated" - like chocolate treats! - to sensory deprivation and other forms of "enhanced interrogation".

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Really, I've never been to America. I know that the US jail system is unfair to people of colour, but at least rights are codified in law, and the government can't just dissapear you to a torture bunker on American soil like Assad can on Syrian soil.

I think you wildly over estimate how powerful the CIA is. It's not some kind of New World Order thing where they literally control everything.

Actually they do. Even Chicago police have been exposed doing this. The CIA themselves are world famous for kidnapping and dissapearing innocent people from all over the world, even from europe. If they want you gone you are loving gone.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently the CIA even controls Christian charities in the UK! Is there no end to thier power!

Even if the CIA helped the Khmer Rogue, the Cambodians still chose to kill all those people, reagrdless of where the funding came from.

HorseLord posted:

Actually they do. Even Chicago police have been exposed doing this. The CIA themselves are world famous for kidnapping and dissapearing innocent people from all over the world, even from europe.

Which makes Assad and Stalin's torture bunkers ok?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HorseLord posted:

Bonus: the khmer rouge was literally propped up by the USA, specifically to attack vietnam with

Bonus: The US making lovely choices in its fight against Communism still doesn't make Stalin a great guy.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Which makes Assad and Stalin's torture bunkers ok?

Firstly you would have to prove Assad's "torture bunkers" actually exist in any way that actually fits the phrase. And I mean real proof, not "America said so".

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Bonus: The US making lovely choices in its fight against Communism still doesn't make Stalin a great guy.

From the american perspective it wasn't a lovely choice, it was very effective in that they left Vietnam with the burden of yet another war.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HorseLord posted:

Firstly you would have to prove Assad's "torture bunkers" actually exist in any way that actually fits the phrase. And I mean real proof, not "America said so".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/01/they-were-torturing-to-kill-inside-syrias-death-machine-caesar

Interview with a first hand source who provided photograhic evidence from a British newspaper, with a personal flimsy denial by Assad himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35005825

First hand account of a torture survivor as reported by the BBC.

Or maybe they're all CIA agents too.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

OldMemes posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/01/they-were-torturing-to-kill-inside-syrias-death-machine-caesar

Interview with a first hand source who provided photograhic evidence from a British newspaper, with a personal flimsy denial by Assad himself.

Or maybe they're all CIA agents too.

OF COURSE they are, HorseLord said he wanted "real proof", but he knows they are CIA agents, ergo it's not real proof

Q.E.D.

It's like you don't know how this works!

• Locked thread