Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Imo the nx might be good but it also might be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Imo the nx might be good but it also might be bad.

ur worng. the nx has no hope of being good. its only option is to be bad . it is *put son agent smith shades* going to happpen for sure.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Stux posted:

ur worng. the nx has no hope of being good. its only option is to be bad . it is *put son agent smith shades* going to happpen for sure.

Counterpoint: good is subjective.

Also you listed why each Nintendo console was bad and you forgot the virtual boy? What's wrong with you?

DumbInACan
Jun 14, 2015
Wait Nintendo won last gen console war? They are definitely going out of business! Also if you hate Nintendo so much why even come to this thread?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I wish Stux would stop posting

Just add him/her/it/whatever to you ignore list and go on with your day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSupernova posted:

Lol if you ignore people

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

Chie is poo poo

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can see this thread is well on its way to getting shut down like the WiiU thread. I guess I'll see you all in the 3DS thread or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSupernova posted:

I can see this thread is well on its way to getting shut down like the WiiU thread. I guess I'll see you all in the 3DS thread or something.

Why would it be poo poo down

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
i think the nx will probably be a fun console to own with good first party games and it may or may not be the last ever nintendo console but life is a highway i wanna ride it all night long

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If it's as powerful as 50 Wii Us, Imma weep tears of joy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bass Bottles posted:

i think the nx will probably be a fun console to own with good first party games and it may or may not be the last ever nintendo console but life is a highway i wanna ride it all night long

I want to ride it my way

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

SilverSupernova posted:

I did but no one knows how to not respond to idiots

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Meaning with a new Nintendo console

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I did but no one knows how to not respond to idiots

Don't brag about ignoring people

If you don't want to talk about them then dont

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't believe in ignore functions.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't believe in ignore functions.

who could ignore you anyway :3:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Stux, I'm going to find a wizard and have him magically tie your fate to Nintendo's.

So you want him to live forever? :confused:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So you want him to live forever? :confused:

Games just wouldn't be the same without him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The shark tank thread is leaking again.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Counterpoint: good is subjective.

Also you listed why each Nintendo console was bad and you forgot the virtual boy? What's wrong with you?

that's a handheld i wasjust talking home consolel

DumbInACan posted:

Wait Nintendo won last gen console war? They are definitely going out of business! Also if you hate Nintendo so much why even come to this thread?

they won by tapping an untapped markett they the first aileld to hold onto, making them the biggest loser of all

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The shark tank thread is leaking again.

bad consoles get ownebd, if u don't like it petition nintnedo to make a good console for a change

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

that's a handheld i wasjust talking home consolel

they won by tapping an untapped markett they the first aileld to hold onto, making them the biggest loser of all

bad consoles get ownebd, if u don't like it petition nintnedo to make a good console for a change

u got taint reaped really hard by a photoshop and a 3d printer

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

u got taint reaped really hard by a photoshop and a 3d printer

Stux posted:

just because the mock ups were fake doesnt mean it isnt the design. in fact if it turns out they're going with something elsl e i will now say it was because ofthe backlash to the mock ups of their original design

also i never said it was the controller. i said it was the actual console.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

instead of soothing ur taint u choose to instead jump up and down on ur racecar bed insisting u were right all along despite any evidence to the contrary

not the choice i would make but we are the masters of our own destiny, stux

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stux posted:

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

SNES was good, a good system!

DumbInACan
Jun 14, 2015
I can see how people look at Nintendo as being gimmicky, but I prefer to think of them as innovative and experimental. The Wii is a good example of trying something different and succeeding while the Wii U kind of shows how trying new things doesn't always work out. At least Nintendo doesn't just recycle what is basically the same console with better graphics for each new generation. If it ends up ultimately being the reason they go out of business, which I doubt, I'll be glad they at least tried to do something new each time they decided to bring there consoles to the next generation. I hope NX is an other console to bring something new and good to the table, but if it isn't, I'll respect them for at least trying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a huge jump between ps2-ps3-ps4 in how the system works. There's alot more that better graphics.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

instead of soothing ur taint u choose to instead jump up and down on ur racecar bed insisting u were right all along despite any evidence to the contrary

not the choice i would make but we are the masters of our own destiny, stux

lol *rolls up sleeves, revealing epic bis and tris* u want to say that again nerd?

DumbInACan posted:

I can see how people look at Nintendo as being gimmicky, but I prefer to think of them as innovative and experimental. The Wii is a good example of trying something different and succeeding while the Wii U kind of shows how trying new things doesn't always work out. At least Nintendo doesn't just recycle what is basically the same console with better graphics for each new generation. If it ends up ultimately being the reason they go out of business, which I doubt, I'll be glad they at least tried to do something new each time they decided to bring there consoles to the next generation. I hope NX is an other console to bring something new and good to the table, but if it isn't, I'll respect them for at least trying.

agreed, much more important tho keep shoehorning in dumb poo poo isntead of focusing on making asystem that plays games well as well as securing as many developers as possible to provide content 4 ur platform.. good point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

incredibly brave of nintendo to forego the usual route of getting good games in favour of making up as many dumb gimmicks as possible using bad hardware and a terrible dev environment in order to alienate botht consumers and developers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

lol *rolls up sleeves, revealing epic bis and tris* u want to say that again nerd?

i imagine ur anime avatar doing this

its not very intimidating

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Man stux is really really obsessed. I wonder what it's like for your entire identity to be based in video games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whaley posted:

Man stux is really really obsessed. I wonder what it's like for your entire identity to be based in video games

your monitor is turned off

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Posting with the monitor off smh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Stux posted:

your monitor is turned off

oh, is that why i didn't realize you got out of your crib and was posting in games again

STUX IS A BABY AND I AM THEIR PARENT, I WAS REFERRING TO A BABY MONITOR

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats a bazinga

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

oh, is that why i didn't realize you got out of your crib and was posting in games again

STUX IS A BABY AND I AM THEIR PARENT, I WAS REFERRING TO A BABY MONITOR

what r you doing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Stux posted:

what r you doing

Praying for SIDS

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wow epic burn from the gbs poster who somehow wnadered in here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I didn't wander in, I came here to discuss my hopes and dreams for the future of Nintendo like all the other fine posters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I didn't wander in, I came here to discuss my hopes and dreams for the future of Nintendo like all the other fine posters here.

What is stopping you, friend? What are your dreams? What are your hopes?

• Locked thread