Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

KiteAuraan posted:

I like the stretch of the 40 from the AZ/NM border to Gallup. The rock formations there are pretty. The entire Leupp to that point stretch can eat poo poo.

True, and a lot of beautiful stuff is north or south of Gallup.

I'm a personal fan of Shiprock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

FartingBedpost posted:

True, and a lot of beautiful stuff is north or south of Gallup.

I'm a personal fan of Shiprock.

I drove past Shiprock at twilight once during a summer thunderstorm on the way up to Cortez. It was loving amazing.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Rockpiles.jpg

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've heard the American southwest is really a pile of hardened dinosaur turds

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Meteor crater is where your mom tripped on the way to California

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

KiteAuraan posted:

I drove past Shiprock at twilight once during a summer thunderstorm on the way up to Cortez. It was loving amazing.

gently caress I lived in Cortez and was a cowboy there!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've heard Flagstaff is pretty cool but like much of the southwest it's stricken by poverty and no employment opportunities and also it's in Arizona
still kinda wanna check it out though

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
The South Thread said Texas isn't part of the south and this thread says Texas isn't part of the Southwest

I guess Texas is just too much state to fit into any geographic cliqué

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hella sweet Bryce renders breh.

But yeah the landscapes in Arizona are rad as hell.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Keep Autism Wired posted:

The South Thread said Texas isn't part of the south and this thread says Texas isn't part of the Southwest

it's the majority shareholder in what's considered the south central united states
Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New Mexico is one of the most pathetic shitholes in the US and I have no idea why it even exists as its own sovereign entity.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to be in Sedona in two weeks, besides Montezumas Castle and the Grand Canyon, what else should I see during my week there?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Chinatown posted:

i read a book in college about that spanish(?) explorer who got lost in the southwest for like 20 years and it blew my mind
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81lvar_N%C3%BA%C3%B1ez_Cabeza_de_Vaca

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

New Mexico is one of the most pathetic shitholes in the US and I have no idea why it even exists as its own sovereign entity.

I wish more people felt this way, but motherfuckers keep moving here.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Everything west of the Pecos is part of the Southwest and should belong to New Mexico. That said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50gPRSi3Ic

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
The Zuni Mountains (NM):

The Southern edge of the Zuni's by El Morro:

(There's a deer in the middle of this one if you look closely)

Jemez Pueblo area:

Different parts of the Sandias, and Albuquerque:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

The Rage posted:

I'm going to be in Sedona in two weeks, besides Montezumas Castle and the Grand Canyon, what else should I see during my week there?

Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater National Monument near Flagstaff, the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff, Montezuma's Well, the Verde Valley Archaeology Center and Walnut Canyon National Monument. If you have time V-V Heritage site is also pretty cool and there is some great scenery on the Mogollon Rim out west on the I-40 by Williams. Tuzigoot National Monument in Clarkdale and Petrified Forest National Park out by Holbrook are also worth it. Holbrook itself is terrible though, so yeah.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater National Monument near Flagstaff, the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff, Montezuma's Well, the Verde Valley Archaeology Center and Walnut Canyon National Monument. If you have time V-V Heritage site is also pretty cool and there is some great scenery on the Mogollon Rim out west on the I-40 by Williams. Tuzigoot National Monument in Clarkdale and Petrified Forest National Park out by Holbrook are also worth it. Holbrook itself is terrible though, so yeah.

Thanks! I'll start building some day trips out of this list!

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

The Rage posted:

Thanks! I'll start building some day trips out of this list!

I also forgot the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon which is a nice little hiking trail that goes through the creek right outside Sedona. It can be pretty crowded but it's a nice area.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Texas is southwest, and I'm even embarassed by that because New Mexico and Arizona is embarrassing company.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

hemophilia posted:

Texas is southwest, and I'm even embarassed by that because New Mexico and Arizona is embarrassing company.

There is no way that the parts bordering Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma are Southwest, geographically or culturally. I'll cede maybe to Amarillo, but the rest of Texas is like, 3 other things. That stupid state has at least five distinct cultures.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

There is no way that the parts bordering Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma are Southwest, geographically or culturally. I'll cede maybe to Amarillo, but the rest of Texas is like, 3 other things. That stupid state has at least five distinct cultures.

Nah, there's just three regions. West, central, east. The central-south cooridor has most of the people. East texas is basically louisiana and I would be OK if the map were redrawn to remove that pit from the state, and the western portion, which is large and empty admit, is all southwest.

The panhandle doens't count. Who gives a poo poo. Give it to another state. gently caress the panhandle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Keep Autism Wired posted:

Texas belongs to the "Texas" part of the country.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Haha I suck rear end but at least I'm not Texas/New Mexico/Arizona, said Texas/New Mexico/Arizona

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Haha I suck rear end but at least I'm not Texas/New Mexico/Arizona, said Texas/New Mexico/Arizona

Smarmy coast idiot/uppity flyover state fuckboy says a predictible thing.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
As least I'm not Texas/New Mexico/Arizona :smug:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Arizona is pretty great assumin you live near the mountains

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Currently my part of the Southwest (NE New Mexico in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains) looks like this. Well, no, this is half an hour ago or so, so there's significantly more snow now:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 26, 2016

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ah yes, who could forget the University of El Paso's mascot, Miner Burt Reynolds.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Texans and Californians have a very similar type of brain damage that makes them think they have cuisine and that their respective pass times should be considered culture instead of just like what pigs do together when they're in a pen.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

salsa verde sucks

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

KiteAuraan posted:

Excellent, because I have this thing about Santa Elena Canyon, which I'm sure fits into the spirit of your SW definition. I really want to go there and would not mind hearing from anyone who has been.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Halah posted:

Excellent, because I have this thing about Santa Elena Canyon, which I'm sure fits into the spirit of your SW definition. I really want to go there and would not mind hearing from anyone who has been.

I went camping there a few years back. The coldest I've ever been on a summer night while that far south. Rained that whole week between 2pm-8pm and it was gorgeous

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

On the topic of Conquistadors...

Juan de Oñate's inscription at El Morro that he made as he traveled north to found Santa Fe, and thus New Mexico in 1605.

Don Diego de Vargas' inscription he made in 1692 while re-conquering the territory after the Pueblo Revolt.
There are also unconfirmed reports that Coronado left an inscription somewhere on El Morro, but the NPS has never been able to find it. The oldest known non-Pueblo inscription is Juan de Oñate's.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I have to drive from Tennessee to Phx, AZ once a week. That stretch of I-40 through oklahoma, amarillo tx, and northeast new mexico is fuckin murder

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EAB posted:

I have to drive from Tennessee to Phx, AZ once a week. That stretch of I-40 through oklahoma, amarillo tx, and northeast new mexico is fuckin murder

I-20 from El Paso to Dallas is really loving terrible too

edit: Not nearly as awful as I-10 between Tucson and San Antonio though

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Booblord Zagats posted:

I-20 from El Paso to Dallas is really loving terrible too

edit: Not nearly as awful as I-10 between Tucson and San Antonio though

Actually that is a great stretch of road and it will make you thankful for the llittle things in life. Like living through a near death experience.

• Locked thread