Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's a post-credits scene where Superboy-Prime punches the walls of reality so hard that Ben Affleck's ancestors never owned any slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I still think the DC movies are at least trying to more with the source material than the marvel movies which are mediocre action movies with poo poo villains and no stakes. Maybe Zack Snyder is trying to do something beyond his level, but I still think he's more ambitious. I can sort of see the criticism that they may be "grim dark," but I didn't really see Man of Steel as that. Rather, I thought it was trying to show what happens when you drop a super powered fight/comic book fight into the real world. I thought it was heavy handed and too long for its own good, but I could see what it was trying to do. Then again, I also find most of the aspects of superhero comics, both Marvel and DC, do to be annoying.

Also, Dredd is still the best comic/"superhero" movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

.... what exactly are the powers of the bird the Robin that robin the man-boy embodies again?

Trapeze artist so flips and jumps and poo poo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

dog buttz posted:

Pull out PULL OUT CLARK

*jizz fires into and out of lois' body like a .50 cal round, severing her spine*

Larry Niven covered this material in 1969.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Shaquin posted:

provocatively retarded. really avante tard work.

other good comic book movies to come out after blade:
hellboy, hellboy 2

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I still think Batman vs Superman is only created so that Kevin Smith can do a scene in a film where Jay and Silent Bob just ream Ben Affleck to his face.
Just 20 minutes of Jay going over point over point why BvS sucked, worst choice actors, death of DC movie franchise, all straight inches from Affleck.

And Affleck just says: "gently caress it I got 20 mil from it"

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I like mystery men, that's a neat one. I really wish they make movies based off generic toys. I would love to see a megabloks or Corps! Movie.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar posted:

I like mystery men, that's a neat one. I really wish they make movies based off generic toys. I would love to see a megabloks or Corps! Movie.

Well there was Battleship.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
More like Hack Snyder

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
battleship movie was kind of badass

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Zach snyder is a joke

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fire Barrel posted:

I still think the DC movies are at least trying to more with the source material than the marvel movies which are mediocre action movies with poo poo villains and no stakes. Maybe Zack Snyder is trying to do something beyond his level, but I still think he's more ambitious. I can sort of see the criticism that they may be "grim dark," but I didn't really see Man of Steel as that. Rather, I thought it was trying to show what happens when you drop a super powered fight/comic book fight into the real world. I thought it was heavy handed and too long for its own good, but I could see what it was trying to do. Then again, I also find most of the aspects of superhero comics, both Marvel and DC, do to be annoying.

Also, Dredd is still the best comic/"superhero" movie.

Except "what if we considered the opposite reading!" is pretty well-tread ground across genres now. "What if Superman were kinda maybe the bad guy (but not really)" is just "what if the bad guy was really good??" but also lacking any commitment to the idea. In the end Superman is the good guy in these films, so instead of really saying something we get handed an unlikeable character and asked to follow them for 2 hours.

If Snyder or anyone wanted a challenge, try making me or anyone to actually really care about Superman. He's the most iconic superhero in the world, but virtually nobody cares what he does. Nobody gets his conflict or his world, and the Superman idealism is seen as a joke now. People only seem to get superheroes if they're burdened with ridiculous pathos and are basically broken but invincible people, which seems like a weird thing and maybe could be pushed against? Instead of further burying him with "haha actually yeah he is lame AND being an all-american good guy is LAME and LAME LAME LAME" maybe they could try and understand him?

Marvel took a guy in a dumb blue suit and a silly shield, and reinvigorated him to have some actual meaning in the context of our world. The American Idealist versus the American Neoliberal.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Anybody ever read that comic series "Irredeemable"? It's basically what happens if Superman went nuts and wiped out a bunch of cities.

Those are some real stakes right there.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
dawn of the dead remake was so dope i have no idea what happened

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here's an idea, woody allen directs the next superman movie. at least it would be interesting

e: he also stars of course

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Except "what if we considered the opposite reading!" is pretty well-tread ground across genres now. "What if Superman were kinda maybe the bad guy (but not really)" is just "what if the bad guy was really good??" but also lacking any commitment to the idea. In the end Superman is the good guy in these films, so instead of really saying something we get handed an unlikeable character and asked to follow them for 2 hours.

If Snyder or anyone wanted a challenge, try making me or anyone to actually really care about Superman. He's the most iconic superhero in the world, but virtually nobody cares what he does. Nobody gets his conflict or his world, and the Superman idealism is seen as a joke now. People only seem to get superheroes if they're burdened with ridiculous pathos and are basically broken but invincible people, which seems like a weird thing and maybe could be pushed against? Instead of further burying him with "haha actually yeah he is lame AND being an all-american good guy is LAME and LAME LAME LAME" maybe they could try and understand him?

Marvel took a guy in a dumb blue suit and a silly shield, and reinvigorated him to have some actual meaning in the context of our world. The American Idealist versus the American Neoliberal.

See, I didn't think Superman was that unlikable.He sort of had to grow into the character, albeit in a hamfisted way. I will agree that many things try to equate being grim and humorless with complexity, and I do think it's an issue. On the other hand, I don't think that's what was the intended goal of Man of Steel. That said, I think Zack Snyder really might have trouble executing ideas.

Also, I really didn't think Captain America worked all that well, although it was certainly better than Thor - which was just boring as poo poo. If I saw either in theaters I probably would've been a bit disappointed.

Maybe Deadpool's success will help change the mold for superhero stuff at the movies, but I doubt it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

colour scheme in your typical zack snyder movie:

1. black
2. dark grey
3. fire

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shaquin posted:

dawn of the dead remake was so dope i have no idea what happened

The opening scenes was good. But the rest was typical Romero idiot characters.

Correction, there is another good bit, in the credits where they come across a zombie head in a cooler on a boat floating at sea. No story behind it, its just there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mozi posted:

.... what exactly are the powers of the bird the Robin that robin the man-boy embodies again?

He is actually named after Robin Hood not the bird which is why he wore that gay outfit

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

happyhippy posted:

The opening scenes was good. But the rest was typical Romero idiot characters.

Correction, there is another good bit, in the credits where they come across a zombie head in a cooler on a boat floating at sea. No story behind it, its just there.

Plus if you watch an episode of Modern Family before Dawn of the Dead you see what kind of person Phil Dunphy is when the real estate market hits the skids - a stone-cold survivalist womanizing badass.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

yeah no poo poo cause its got superman in it and superman sucks

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Why don't they make a modern Justice League movie in the style of 60s batman? Just make it a campy comedy full of one liners, bright colors, and silly costumes. Hell, maybe even have song numbers and poo poo. Pretty sure a recent DC cartoon was all like that. It would be more interesting than the MCU approach, less divisive than Snyder, and to a lesser extent Nolan, and probably could tap into markets that normally don't give a poo poo about superheroes. I think some past movies maybe channeled some of those elements, but I think a more committed approach could turn out something visually interesting and pretty unique among super hero movies.

And from what I've heard of Irredeemable, that seems to pull a bit hard in the other direction.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Finally superhero movie that has the decency to be actually bad, rather than just being nothing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Bats and red breasted robins are natural symbiotes, I thought this was common knowledge. It's thematic.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
They should make a believable-hero movie of Moon Knight.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I wonder if Robin ever gets mad that Batman can get all the pussy he wants

whereas nobody wants robin

except maybe batman

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My wife won't see it. Anyone wanna join me? I'll bring the dr pepper 10 and chewy sprees

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He is actually named after Robin Hood not the bird which is why he wore that gay outfit

Seems like his secret power should be robbing Batman blind in that case.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Edgar posted:

My wife won't see it. Anyone wanna join me? I'll bring the dr pepper 10 and chewy sprees

I'll be in my Star Wars Jedi suit, and I'll help Batman beat up Superman by waving my lightsaber at the screen every action sequence.
My lightsaber has a green kypronite crystal in it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

OP are you really surprised that a movie whose premise is literally a middle school lunch table argument about 'nyah nyah my fantasy character could beat up your stupid fantasy character' is bad?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mozi posted:

Seems like his secret power should be robbing Batman blind in that case.

He takes rear end-poundings from Bruce Wayne and gives them to the poor

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ScrubLeague posted:

News flash Batman has always sucked and somehow Chris Nolan made 3 good movies about him and also Rises.

It was one decent movie, one great movie which was really a Joker movie, one crap. Nolan managed to make Marion Cotillard pull off the worse performance of her career. Nolan is an asexual nerd.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MrChupon posted:

OP are you really surprised that a movie whose premise is literally a middle school lunch table argument about 'nyah nyah my fantasy character could beat up your stupid fantasy character' is bad?

I've got low standards but I believe that anything that gets more than a million dollars spent on it should be at least a little bit redeemable.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

QuoProQuid posted:

do comic books constantly harp on how superheroes are effectively gods and need to use their powers for good

because if i have to endure another superhero movie where the heroes have a long, shallow discussion about "responsibility," i think i am going to scream.

DC has a series now where the Justice League are literally gods. Batman sits on a super encyclopedia chair and knows all crime before it happens. Though this has led to him flying around on said chair and punching people from the sitting position which is honestly kind of funny.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A One Percenter Neoliberasl with No Respedct for the Rule of Law VS A Maniac who Defies all Human Conventions and Acts like an Idiot to Blend in

Yeah I'm sick of this election cycle

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They should make a Batman Beyond movie where old man batman is not the grumpy gritty batman, but he should be Adam West's zany and campy batman.

The new batman should be the gritty and dark one who in the end finds out Adam West was only zany and campy because the Joker mentally broke him years ago.

The movie would have no fighting and would be a conversation about how we deal with elderly mental illness such as dementia, depression, and abandonment.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

superman: can punch through walls. fly.
batman: can buy several national media outlets and set the tone of american discourse for a generation. can force clark kent to write stories about the superman "menace" by threatening the daily planet's budget.

Trast posted:

DC has a series now where the Justice League are literally gods. Batman sits on a super encyclopedia chair and knows all crime before it happens. Though this has led to him flying around on said chair and punching people from the sitting position which is honestly kind of funny.

this sounds really dumb, but also really funny.

maybe comic books aren't always terrible.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Shaquin posted:

battleship movie was kind of badass

I too share this opimion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I hope whoever came up with the Alien missiles in Battleship being shaped like the little pegs got a million dollars and a hummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wow a comic book movie BAD?

HOLY poo poo

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Locked thread