Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Good thing I have this crock pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

OH so you're just lazy and don't actually care about your reasons not to use your oven, ok.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Kumbamontu posted:

I make chili in my crock pot and it turns out awesome

Also i imagine using a dutch oven in an oven for hours heats up your house and uses much more power than a crock pot does. I do not want my oven on for several hours in the middle of the day in Florida because my AC is already working too hard

well you imagine wrong because you're not gonna blast that thing all day (just when you sear it on the stovetop), and then turn the oven on low because that's how braising works

I do this often enough and I live in Texas so what now :colbert:

also gently caress you for making chili in a crock pot

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a slow cooker (admittedly I only use it for stock) and my wife uses it a lot. Because she has to look after the kids during the day: you can quickly prepare an alright meal from fresh ingredients and leave things in it for a long period of time and go out to the park/museum/zoo, which you can't really do with the oven, and definitely can't do on the hob.

I understand that it's not haute cuisine, but being a dick to people who are trying to cook food instead of buying ready meals is loving idiotic snobbery. Yes, salsa chicken is poo poo, but I fully support people in their efforts to become less reliant on pre-prepared food, and if that means starting off with a slow cooker, then so be it.

If you don't have the time, inclination or skill to do everything from scratch, slow cookers can be a good way to make better meals. The slow cooker recipe book we have has some actually good foods in it, and to be a dick about it misses the point.

Don't like slow cookers, just gently caress off and ignore the thread. I don't like knife-wanker you, so I don't post in the knife-wanker you thread, I don't poo poo it up with ill-informed opinions that no-one cares about.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mindphlux posted:

A crock pot heats an enclosed ceramic bowl to a low temperature, for a prolonged period of time. Crock pots are great at that.

What I was attempting to get at is : there are not many parts of cooking for which 'a ceramic bowl at a low prolonged temperature' benefits any recipe or process.

braises are good examples of a process that might benefit re: ease of use, but for a good braise, you should be browning your meat before braising, so it makes much more sense to use a dutch oven or cast iron or something you can crank heat on for the browning process. otherwise you are dirtying a pan just to scrape it off and deglaze into a crock pot - which totally defeats the "ease of use" or whatever that a crockpot promises.

you can also just dump a bunch of raw ground beef and canned tomatoes into a crockpot, and end up with a grey bland mass of something on par with a processed can of soup, but why bother even cooking? canned stews taste great! and take 1/10th the effort!

not at all uppity, just don't want to see my fellow goons spending 45 minutes of their valuable time dumping poo poo in a crockpot, when they could just be opening a can and tucking right in to a delicious meal.

My slow cooker has a sear mode. :downs:

In addition, I hope you are aware that people can brown things AND THEN put them into slow cookers, right???

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OMG it's almost blueberry season!!! This is the best breakfast/all day thing:

Ingredients
3 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 Cup Oats
1 Cup Cream of Wheat (or malt-o-meal), uncooked
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg Slightly Beaten
1 Cup Milk
Ľ Cup Oil (I like melted coconut oil or sunflower oil)
1 t vanilla
1 T Baking Powder
˝ tsp Salt
2 Cups Blueberries
Ľ Cup Chopped Walnuts (or any nuts really), optional

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in the crockpot except blueberries and nuts.Fold in blueberries and nuts. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1˝ -2 hours or until the "casserole" sets. Serve warm.

Sometimes I sub almond flour for some of the flour (maybe 1/3 cup) and it becomes richer and a little denser. Also, using malt-o-meal instead of cream of wheat will give it a more complex flavor.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

psychokitty posted:

In addition, I hope you are aware that people can brown things AND THEN put them into slow cookers, right???

I hope you are aware that you didn't read his post, right???

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use my slow cooker for making sweet potato stew. It tastes great. No regrats. The only difference is it's in a ceramic bowl versus a metal pot over the stove cooking low and slow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All bullshit aside I have scotch broth going in my crockpot at home right now. It's going to be nice to come home to at 9 tonight. That's where a crockpot is useful.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I bought my friend a slowcooker for his birthday because he was really bad at making meals. Now he uses it all the time and his meals are slowly becoming more edible.

I use mine to make braises and stews with cheap and tough cuts of meat because often I don't have time when I finish work to prepare something from scratch. My slowcooker has a sear function which is handy for searing meat and reducing sauces. I don't think I would use it that much if it didn't have this function.

In conclusion, slowcookers are an effective tool for the time-poor and those who aren't super experienced in the kitchen. They are also an affront to those whose masturbatory excursions into the heart of cooking culture has rendered them unable to realise that other people have other priorities in the kitchen that differ from their own.

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 19, 2016

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Slow cookers are also pretty great for the physically disabled. Mine kept me from starving until I had saved enough money to have my kitchen redone and outfitted with countertops I could slide into with my wheelchair and a range that slides in and out. I still hire a personal assistant to help me lift stuff out of the oven though. For reference, the heaviest thing I can lift is my cast iron skillet. And it's not without some effort.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Ranter posted:

I hope you are aware that you didn't read his post, right???

The lack of capitalization makes it hard sometimes to read the entirety of his posts. :colbert: But yes, I see the "ease of use" BS argument now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

psychokitty posted:

The lack of capitalization makes it hard sometimes to read the entirety of his posts. :colbert: But yes, I see the "ease of use" BS argument now.

great, keep us updated about how hard it is for you to read and comprehend words.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mindphlux posted:

great, keep us updated about how hard it is for you to read and comprehend words.

This post sucked because you didn't complain more about how much slow cookers are ruining cooking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife made a beef stew in our slow cooker today, so that after she dropped my son at school, took my daughter to the park and took them both to football practice, we could return home to a hot meal that was ready to coincide with the children being hungry.

loving TERRIBLE lovely SLOW COOKERS ARE KITCHEN HITLER

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I have a chicken tortilla soup cooking in my slow cooker today while my husband and I are both at work. Now we can have delicious dinner and don't have to worry about the house having burned down and killed our cat while soup cooks all day on a weekday while we're not home.

Maybe I post recipe. It's super lazy.

1 lb frozen chicken parts
1 quart chicken stock
8 oz green enchilada sauce
diced tomatoes (however much you want, canned or not IDFC)
1 can black beans (optional, drained and rinsed)
frozen corn (optional)
frozen fire-roasted onions & peppers (optional)
corn tortillas or tortilla chip crumbs or masa harina

Put chicken, stock, and sauce in pot and cook on low all day while your house doesn't burn down and kill your cat. When you get home from a relatively stressful day of regulatory shenanigans and helping corporate assholes just barely slide under environmental thresholds as your soul slowly dies, remove the bones if your parts had them and then shred the chicken. Add the rest of the poo poo except the tortillas or masa. Let it cook for another 30-ish minutes. Right before serving, thicken the soup with cut up tortillas or chip crumbs or pull out some of the liquid and mix it with the masa and then add it back in to the soup. Top with cilantro and a lime wedge and maybe some queso fresco or something. Avocado slices would be good.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
lotta people in this thread being super snobby about slow cookers. Nobody's arguing that they're the best way to do things, but they're good for weeknight convenience meals (that are gonna be slightly better than microwaving a frozen dinner), and great for people who are just starting out getting into cooking. I don't use mine much anymore (other than making stock) but I used to use it all the time when I first started cooking in college.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
slow cookers are p great for midweek ribs when you don't have time to babysit a smoker for hours.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

adorai posted:

Whether using a slow cooker or in a stock pot, you can't go wrong substituting a light beer for water.

I'm making a beef stew. Are you saying I should replace all water with lime bud light? Seems legit.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 20, 2016

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Mr. Wookums posted:

it tastes good because of the half a kilo of sugar from the jelly, 120 grams from the chili sauce and 480% of your daily sodium.

2100 cals from the Jelly, 800 from he Chili sauce

Shitttttt

To be fair, that recipe makes 3-5 lbs of meatballs and you aren't drinking the sauce in a cup... nor is this recipe meant to be your weekly Thursday dinner.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Also, if you're looking to do advanced crockpot cooking...
Yes, I know it's not nearly as good as a real sous vide but some of us are poor.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I have a slow cooker (admittedly I only use it for stock) and my wife uses it a lot. Because she has to look after the kids during the day: you can quickly prepare an alright meal from fresh ingredients and leave things in it for a long period of time and go out to the park/museum/zoo, which you can't really do with the oven, and definitely can't do on the hob.

I understand that it's not haute cuisine, but being a dick to people who are trying to cook food instead of buying ready meals is loving idiotic snobbery. Yes, salsa chicken is poo poo, but I fully support people in their efforts to become less reliant on pre-prepared food, and if that means starting off with a slow cooker, then so be it.

If you don't have the time, inclination or skill to do everything from scratch, slow cookers can be a good way to make better meals. The slow cooker recipe book we have has some actually good foods in it, and to be a dick about it misses the point.

Don't like slow cookers, just gently caress off and ignore the thread. I don't like knife-wanker you, so I don't post in the knife-wanker you thread, I don't poo poo it up with ill-informed opinions that no-one cares about.

I agree with this post, and I also champion slow cookers as a gateway cooking utensil. I started learning to cook from Goons With Spoons from the chili thread five years back, because I knew it was something I liked that I couldn't gently caress up with a slow cooker. That led to me refining my chili recipe to include homemade chili powder. Then, once I figured out I could make my own chili powder, I figured out I could cook almost anything at home. We don't use the slow cooker a ton any more, but it got me cooking.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

(admittedly I only use it for stock)
The best stock I ever made I used a slow cooker stock recipe in a pressure cooker for 1 hour instead of overnight, and it was pretty great.

BedBuglet posted:

I'm making a beef stew. Are you saying I should replace all water with lime bud light? Seems legit.
I'm not sure about the lime, but if it was regular bud light, sure. It wouldn't hurt, and might help. Only downside is bud light is $0.50/can.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

adorai posted:

I'm not sure about the lime, but if it was regular bud light, sure. It wouldn't hurt, and might help. Only downside is bud light is $0.50/can.

gently caress all of that. Use a Guinness.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
MrSlam's Overnight Counterintuitive Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
2 cup water
1 cup half 'n half
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Honey

Mix in slow-cooker or a crockpot on the stove over a burner set to low. Cover. Wait 8 hours. You get to choose the brown sugar/cinnamon/honey amounts, but I'm a horrible person so I dump far too much in there. Sure you can flavor it after it's done cooking, or you can not be a pussy about it and just dump it in.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 21, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I've only really used my slow cooker for Pork Shoulder and it was very helpful for that, stewing away all day while I went to work. I should get around to trying it with brisket soon.

I also used to mess around with cream-soup-and-rice casserole type things but I never made one I liked and eventually gave up on the idea.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartlebee posted:

I agree with this post, and I also champion slow cookers as a gateway cooking utensil. I started learning to cook from Goons With Spoons from the chili thread five years back, because I knew it was something I liked that I couldn't gently caress up with a slow cooker. That led to me refining my chili recipe to include homemade chili powder. Then, once I figured out I could make my own chili powder, I figured out I could cook almost anything at home. We don't use the slow cooker a ton any more, but it got me cooking.

this is a good point, and one that I frequently forget. I learned to cook by taking on the most difficult thing I could possibly think of taking on at the time (lamb vindaloo, with almost no prior cooking experience when I was like 15 or 16), and then just beat myself up over my failures for the next 5 years until I could kinda make something that tasted ok. It took me another 5 years to nail it to my own standards. That's a lot of time and effort, and thinking about it, if you added up the time I've spent watching cooking videos, reading cook books, working in restaurants, doing research or whatever, I'm sure it'd total more than a year or two of 9-5 work days worth of time investment. Or 3-5, or more if you count time spent cooking meals on a weekly basis. poo poo, maybe you could chalk a solid 1/4th-1/6th of my entire life up to cooking some damned food.

a slow cooker is a perfectly acceptable gateway to cooking, and if it makes a fellow goon enthusiastic and/or optimistic about their ability to really succeed at cooking - without a huge time investment - I'm all for it. the more people who care about cooking in this world - and don't just eat poo poo processed food or mcdonalds or whatever, the better!

from a gws subform perspective though, I like to encourage people to aim high with their cooking! dream big, dear goons. you can totally make that pâté en croűte!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 22, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Encouraging people to aim high is great, but it's really different from making GBS threads on common tools that aren't up to the appropriate food snob level.

Even for people who can cook, most of the time you have other poo poo going on, like jobs that don't feed you, families, housework, and even other interests. Most of the time you're going to be cooking to eat rather than to pursue your craft. I like upping my game on the weekends, but I still have to eat the other five nights of the week. Sure, you can make fast meals, but you can only eat so many eggs, and when you come in late on a cold gross day it's really nice to have a hot, healthy, filling dinner ready to go.

Tl;dr the choice isn't usually between crock pot stew and pâté; the choice is usually between crock pot stew and Hungry Man or McDonalds. If you want people to choose the healthy home-cooked version, don't poo poo on it. There are a lot of bad crock pot recipes out there, but we should be trying to direct people to good recipes, not pointing and laughing at them for trying.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Anne Whateley posted:

Encouraging people to aim high is great, but it's really different from making GBS threads on common tools that aren't up to the appropriate food snob level.

Even for people who can cook, most of the time you have other poo poo going on, like jobs that don't feed you, families, housework, and even other interests. Most of the time you're going to be cooking to eat rather than to pursue your craft. I like upping my game on the weekends, but I still have to eat the other five nights of the week. Sure, you can make fast meals, but you can only eat so many eggs, and when you come in late on a cold gross day it's really nice to have a hot, healthy, filling dinner ready to go.

Tl;dr the choice isn't usually between crock pot stew and pâté; the choice is usually between crock pot stew and Hungry Man or McDonalds. If you want people to choose the healthy home-cooked version, don't poo poo on it. There are a lot of bad crock pot recipes out there, but we should be trying to direct people to good recipes, not pointing and laughing at them for trying.

I just disagree about the 'having other poo poo going on' being an excuse bit. you make time for what you think is worth spending time on.

I run two businesses, work 10 hour days on average, my wife does the same hour wise, and we still devote 2 hours to connect and cook dinner at least 3-4 nights a week.

we don't have kids, but if we did, I'm 78% confident what would give would be the work part - not the cooking part.

anyways, I'm not making GBS threads on it in terms of 'crock pot vs hungry man' - but just saying there are ways to make good non-crockpot food with very very little prep time. I just think using pots and pans as opposed to crock pots differs very little in terms of time spent cooking, and the former skews your chances of actually making something tasty in a very positive direction.

still, again, crock pots are fine. they make food. if that's what works for you, use a crock pot. no judgement. I should probably use one myself.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Anne Whateley posted:

Tl;dr the choice isn't usually between crock pot stew and pâté; the choice is usually between crock pot stew and Hungry Man or McDonalds.

I can vouch for this. I don't think I've ever cooked a meal everyday for a full week before because I'm not as cool and handsome and rich and successful as Mindphlux, but when I do find the time to cook it's nice to know I can toss a bunch of stuff in a heating implement and let it sit. Since the invention of the pot, that's been about half of what cooking is. If I can make toast with a hair dryer and it still tastes like toast I'm not gonna judge the toast for not being cooked in a toaster.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 22, 2016

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

mindphlux posted:

I just disagree about the 'having other poo poo going on' being an excuse bit. you make time for what you think is worth spending time on.

I run two businesses, work 10 hour days on average, my wife does the same hour wise, and we still devote 2 hours to connect and cook dinner at least 3-4 nights a week.

we don't have kids, but if we did, I'm 78% confident what would give would be the work part - not the cooking part.

anyways, I'm not making GBS threads on it in terms of 'crock pot vs hungry man' - but just saying there are ways to make good non-crockpot food with very very little prep time. I just think using pots and pans as opposed to crock pots differs very little in terms of time spent cooking, and the former skews your chances of actually making something tasty in a very positive direction.

still, again, crock pots are fine. they make food. if that's what works for you, use a crock pot. no judgement. I should probably use one myself.

'i, one half of a rich DINK couple, can't understand how you paupers would want an almost fool-proof way to cook dinner instead of running the risk of ruining at 28 dollar piece of meat.'
'we can each easily sacrifice two hours of work and maintain our standard of living, but we don't because work allows us to avoid both each other, and the risk of true introspection leisure time provides'
'i identify with the working poor.'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh gently caress.. *☆☆chomps an ivory spon of caviars☆☆*

*grindz down the entire side of the eiffel tower* ya kid keep the change lol

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

I can see you have life figured out. Good job sir, please continue to explain to others why they are dumb for not reducing the hours they work so they can spend more time with their kids!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
The whole argument is a bit silly because it's different strokes for different folks. I had car trouble a couple months ago and my girlfriend basically moved in to help me get to and from work while we sorted out the car situation. Then my grandfather died 1400 miles away and I had to fly back and deal with that. In the meantime, we haven't been able to replace my car because of scheduling issues and I quickly had to learn to cook for two on an intensely variable schedule. Hell, I just bought a pressure cooker to help speed up the process. I was straight up on mindphlux's side while I was just cooking for myself, but after several weeknights of just, "gently caress, make something edible," that slow cooker was looking good to me.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Time for Whirled Peas again?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

rndmnmbr posted:

Honestly, shouldn't it always be Whirled Peas in GWS since we can't seem to be maintain a semi-welcoming subforum without it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

rndmnmbr posted:

That was the worst thing and killed the forum hope this helps.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I wasn't even a contributor during Whirled Peas but please god don't ever bring that back.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BedBuglet posted:

Also, if you're looking to do advanced crockpot cooking...
Yes, I know it's not nearly as good as a real sous vide but some of us are poor.

You can get an Anova for like $130 when they're on sale, which is pretty regularly. The days of $500 immersion circulators being necessary are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartlebee posted:

The whole argument is a bit silly because it's different strokes for different folks.

this is pretty much how I feel. I don't care how you make your food per se. I just want to support good cooking. if you wanna call my fam a pretentious dink or discount my predilection or whatever, fair enough. just please fellow goons don't wantonly swallow the crockpot koolaid - I'd argue in many cases there are equally time effective methods to achieve tasty results in a short amount of time.

• Locked thread