Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I got the remaster from GOG and was playing it the other day. None of the puzzles are in the least bit logical. I basically have to have one window open with all the hints and the game open in a separate one. It's not fun. I have never played this game before but people raved about how good it was and how awesome the remaster was going to be. The only point and click adventure game I've completed by myself was Fate of Atlantis. That was an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

put the animal in the microwarve, lol

edit: first you have to pick up the puimpkin and it has the key to the front door in it. later on in the game you get asked some questrions before you can get off the boat. i remember one answer is the lord of the ring. oh and get the raw meat from the fridge or you cant get past the dog. the sequal in the jungle is reall. bad dont bother with that one

lonesomedwarf fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I think it was more the charm of the game than the gameplay. Point and click games with bizarro logic are really annoying.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Schafer applied a global hq4x filter and called it a remaster

Risky
May 18, 2003

Hoagie hanging out fuckin poo poo up in colonial times is the best part of the game.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It's not too hard, you can't die, so when stuck just try everything. This is tedious but not difficult.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Getting absolutely dumpstered in an easy video game is a proud goon tradition, but you should still consider dying in a tragic fire asap.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

hmm you're right, looks exactly like a hq filter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Play Balloon Challenge by Soleau Software instead. Hope this helps!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

At least its more than what they did with Grim Fandango (which was basically nothing)

I still have to play the remaster because DotT is one of my favorite games ever

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Wizgot posted:

I got the remaster from GOG and was playing it the other day. None of the puzzles are in the least bit logical. I basically have to have one window open with all the hints and the game open in a separate one. It's not fun. I have never played this game before but people raved about how good it was and how awesome the remaster was going to be. The only point and click adventure game I've completed by myself was Fate of Atlantis. That was an amazing game.

let me tell you bout a little game called The Dig :shepface:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

let me tell you bout a little game called The Dig :shepface:

assemble a one hundred piece abstract alien skeleton puzzle

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

edit: first you have to pick up the puimpkin and it has the key to the front door in it.

my nigga hugo luv u dog

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

tim schafer beating his tiny greasedick to some a punz4kids website

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Metanaut posted:

At least its more than what they did with Grim Fandango (which was basically nothing)

I still have to play the remaster because DotT is one of my favorite games ever

They got Grim working on a modern PC without jumping through hoops, that's good enough. And they actually did repaint all the textures and added some modern 3D tech to the game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dallas Quest is the best "adventure game" by the way. I bet I could still play through it from memory.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Metanaut posted:

The GF remaster was 90% them just using existing mods like grim_mouse and tweaking them by bringing the creators into the picture

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
tim schafer is a big con man and he ruined brutal legends

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lol if u ain't fav'ing leisure suit larry here are the reasons u should:

1)love
2)to
3)gently caress
4)makes u good at getting sex w real human
5)teaches u the ins and out to courting a fine dame

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
That journeyman project remaster or reboot thing is great and all, but I really wanted the original. I loved the time travel music in that one :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never finished King's Quest III because it's hell of hard :( Welp that's my I'm a dumb-rear end video game confession for today but at least I beat Day of the Tentacle without much trouble I mean I'm not a loving imbecile :lol:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Sam & Max hit the road, best Sam & Max game by like a stupid amount.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
despite intense pressure to pursue the logical course and make brutal legend a full on hack and slash he was insistent on bastardized sacrificeesque gameplay and furthermore squandered a ton of time envisioning it as some sort of multiplayer hit

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
What do you call that puzzle game where you have to guess what the order and type of symbols through pure trial and error, and have limited tries?

gently caress that game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wicker Man posted:

What do you call that puzzle game where you have to guess what the order and type of symbols through pure trial and error, and have limited tries?

gently caress that game.

Life.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Shaquin posted:

despite intense pressure to pursue the logical course and make brutal legend a full on hack and slash he was insistent on bastardized sacrificeesque gameplay and furthermore squandered a ton of time envisioning it as some sort of multiplayer hit

quote:

"I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it."

When someone like kotick is the good guy in a situation you've really hosed up

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I feel bad for the guy who had to go through all the original DAT cassettes to replace the original compressed audio files, everything was out of order and some lines were spliced together from several takes so it supposedly took forever

The DOTT remaster is brilliant though, game of the century every century.

Peace be with you

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

:vince:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How do i get the safe combination, dr fred slams the door closed too fast

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wicker Man posted:

gently caress that game.

Mastermind? That one is just colored pegs though.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

katlington posted:

How do i get the safe combination, dr fred slams the door closed too fast

-Gamefaqs, 1993

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wizgot posted:

I got the remaster from GOG and was playing it the other day. None of the puzzles are in the least bit logical. I basically have to have one window open with all the hints and the game open in a separate one. It's not fun.

It builds character.

Back in the day you might be lucky to get a new videogame a few times a year. There was no such thing as a steam backlog. So you'd get your new game and soon you'd be stuck. But there was nothing else to play, so you'd keep hammering away at it. Hours, weeks, months go by, and you're still hammering away at nonsensical adventure game puzzles. There was no easy wiki to look up either. You could look for hints in game magazines, try to talk it through with your friends, or give up and drop :10bux: on the official strategy guide.

And we liked it that way. :arghfist::corsair:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

When someone like kotick is the good guy in a situation you've really hosed up

bobby kotick has never been a man who's done anything more than give people exactly what they are willing to spend their money on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I actually sent a letter to a magazine in the nineties because someone was asking for help in Dragon Wars and I'm pro in Dragon Wars and my answer was published. :kiddo:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

I actually sent a letter to a magazine in the nineties because someone was asking for help in Dragon Wars and I'm pro in Dragon Wars and my answer was published. :kiddo:

and look how far u came obama

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Angela Christine posted:

It builds character.

Back in the day you might be lucky to get a new videogame a few times a year. There was no such thing as a steam backlog. So you'd get your new game and soon you'd be stuck. But there was nothing else to play, so you'd keep hammering away at it. Hours, weeks, months go by, and you're still hammering away at nonsensical adventure game puzzles. There was no easy wiki to look up either. You could look for hints in game magazines, try to talk it through with your friends, or give up and drop :10bux: on the official strategy guide.

And we liked it that way. :arghfist::corsair:

does anyone remember the bookcase puzzle in toonstruck, because gently caress that thing

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i didn't know they had nintendo power in kenya

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

social vegan posted:

and look how far u came obama

Thanks I'll nominate you for the supremo court.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Why do people keep giving him money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Microwaves Mom posted:

Why do people keep giving him money?

if you charge 5-20 bucks people will compulsively buy almost anything have you never seen some of these goons steam lists they have amassed literally hundreds of games

• Locked thread