Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
hahahahahahah what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, Sharks sharks sharksharkshark shaaaaaaaarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
adam clendening goal

lol

:krakken:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Oilers defensemen are lolbad but Talbot isn't very good either

That is my cutting edge analysis

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Was that 4 or 2

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol Kassian, gently caress that shithead

2 minutes + 10 min misconduct + game misconduct

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!
agreeing with the sentiment that Kassian is dumb as rocks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Free goal for Maroon brought to you by McJesus :siren:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
maroon owns

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This game is loving awful

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Veskit posted:

This game is loving awful

I assume you meant to type awesome and your phone autocorrected you because otherwise :what:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
How did Kassian manage to get a 2 + 10 + Game?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
being a dumb

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

grack posted:

How did Kassian manage to get a 2 + 10 + Game?

He went apeshit in the penalty box for no apparent reason

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:suicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamie Benn on the PP just attempted a Sidney Crosby Special, trying to pass from the low corner directly through 3 opponents to the opposite side of the ice, with predictable results leading to a shorthanded goal

Jamie, you're awesome but you are not Sidney Crosby and you have no prayer of completing that pass and what the hell were you thinking

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

He went apeshit in the penalty box for no apparent reason

That sounds about right for Kassian

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

grack posted:

That sounds about right for Kassian

cocaine is a hell of a drug

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
For the amount of poo poo talking the Coyotes broadcast team does about the Stars, you'd think Dallas was the team in the running for Austin Watson.

Basically the Stars will never be a good team until they play the game exactly like the Coyotes do. There is only one correct system to deploy and that is the one that the Coyotes use.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starsfan posted:

For the amount of poo poo talking the Coyotes broadcast team does about the Stars, you'd think Dallas was the team in the running for Austin Watson.

Basically the Stars will never be a good team until they play the game exactly like the Coyotes do. There is only one correct system to deploy and that is the one that the Coyotes use.

It is literally their job to talk up their employer's hockey team like it's the best thing ever.

It was amazing listening to the Penguins broadcasters sing Mike Johnston's praises right up until the day he was fired, and throughout the subsequent five game losing streak* they were explaining to us how Mike Sullivan was, at minimum, a cross between Scotty Bowman and Augustus Caesar

* It's amazing to remember but Johnston was actually fired after a win and then the Penguins started the Sullivan Era 0-5. They're 25-15 since.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 25, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Starsfan posted:

I think Nashville already won the Austin Watson sweepstakes.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is literally their job to talk up their employer's hockey team like it's the best thing ever.

It was amazing listening to the Penguins broadcasters sing Mike Johnston's praises right up until the day he was fired, and throughout the subsequent five game losing streak* they were explaining to us how Mike Sullivan was, at minimum, a cross between Scotty Bowman and Augustus Caesar

* It's amazing to remember but Johnston was actually fired after a win and then the Penguins started the Sullivan Era 0-5. They're 25-15 since.

I guess I should just expect that sort of bullshit from former players in the league. The same commentators who have white-washed 3 Stanley cups the Blackhawks have won by being the most skilled and entertaining team in the league, and drone on continuously about how the only way to win in the playoffs is by being bigger and tougher than the other club and playing 2-1 defense first hockey.

I really hope the Stars beat down some of these poo poo hockey teams and stuff it down the throats of these clowns. Then again, the narrative would just be that Lindy Ruff finally got the Stars to play the "right way" and all the success would be attributed to Kris Russell or some 4th line grinder dude who scored a goal in playoff OT.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I think Nashville already won the Austin Watson sweepstakes.

oh, whatever. It's not relevant what the dudes name is. He's Toronto Maple Leaf #010384 for all I care.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
holy poo poo Oilers! I went to play some Rocket league and you come back!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Starsfan posted:

maybe there is something to it, if you lose to the coyotes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

mindofme posted:

agreeing with the sentiment that Kassian is dumb as rocks.

super glad he is no longer on my team

not super glad we gave up a pick to the habs to get rid of him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The main thing that worries me about the Stars in the playoffs--and I like the way the Stars play and hope they win--is their lack of a stud defenseman. It seems really hard to win the Cup without that guy locking it down for 29 minutes every game. The '09 Penguins and the '06 Hurricanes managed it but that seems more exception than rule.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

good play Hallsy, take away the net and where else are they gonna score??

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i watched the stars stream and their color guy is way more of a dipshit than tyson nash

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

hifi posted:

maybe there is something to it, if you lose to the coyotes

yeah and the Stars have won something like 21 of the last 22 against the Washington Capitals. The old RNG shits out all sorts of weird trends, only fools read into that matchup poo poo.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 25, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McJesus is the fuckin' truth

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Sharks are zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sharks are rounding into playoff form

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The main thing that worries me about the Stars in the playoffs--and I like the way the Stars play and hope they win--is their lack of a stud defenseman. It seems really hard to win the Cup without that guy locking it down for 29 minutes every game. The '09 Penguins and the '06 Hurricanes managed it but that seems more exception than rule.

It may be true that the Stars do not have a traditional #1 defensemen, but what they do have is a top 3 team in many key performance metrics such as possession ratio and scoring chance ratio. You don't need to worry about whether every player on Dallas fits into a certain mold when the team metrics as they've played out fit the mold of a championship team.

What's really concerning is the Stars are getting burned on the percentages the last few months, because their goaltenders only saved 88% of the shots from January onwards. The same goaltenders (under the same players and defensive system) were league average the first half of the season, when the Stars were winning 4 out of every 5 games. That will probably doom them if playoff Lehtonen shows up, but the strength of their team has a chance of getting over that hurdle if it does show up.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

"play defense" isn't exactly a new concept in the nhl. basically any of the goals the coyotes score recently have been where hanzal or doan push their way to the net, mike stone or oel hits them in the balls with the puck, and then they bench press the defensemen out of the way and put the puck in the net. tonight nobody touched rieder on his goal, the second goal was kind of fluky but nobody pushed hanzal out of the crease so it went in, and the third goal was mostly bad positioning but again nobody touched hanzal.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

hifi posted:

"play defense" isn't exactly a new concept in the nhl. basically any of the goals the coyotes score recently have been where hanzal or doan push their way to the net, mike stone or oel hits them in the balls with the puck, and then they bench press the defensemen out of the way and put the puck in the net. tonight nobody touched rieder on his goal, the second goal was kind of fluky but nobody pushed hanzal out of the crease so it went in, and the third goal was mostly bad positioning but again nobody touched hanzal.

yeah, your goaltender saved 38 of 39 shots and one of the goals was kicked in by our own defensemen. Congrats on winning the PDO lottery for the night.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im glad talking about hockey is immediately shut down with "congrats on winning the pdo lottery"

the coyotes are playing 4d chess with shot suppression metrics and advanced defensemen pairings coupled with expert scout opinions and the stars are probably staring at an excel spreadsheet they paid some dingus blogger a million dollars to write

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

hifi posted:

im glad talking about hockey is immediately shut down with "congrats on winning the pdo lottery"

the coyotes are playing 4d chess with shot suppression metrics and advanced defensemen pairings coupled with expert scout opinions and the stars are probably staring at an excel spreadsheet they paid some dingus blogger a million dollars to write

what are advanced defensemen pairings?

The Coyotes are over performing their talent this year not because of their defensive zone play, but because they have one of the highest shooting percentages in the league - 6th at ES and 8th overall. I don't think the Coyotes are a particularly talented team, in fact the shot charts that we have show they are one of the worst at generating quality scoring chances. Give me a shout when your 4th dimensional chess gets you into the playoffs with the 3rd worst possession ratio in the league. Aim for 2014-15 Calgary levels of bullshit and it might be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That's a lot of words to dance around Dallas having a subpar defense.

• Locked thread