Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ninth slowly awakened, rubbing the grit from his eyes and cursing the hard wagon floor that had done no favors for his bad back. Rising, he saw that most of his fellow travelers were already up and about, cooking salted beef over a campfire and arguing. Same as it ever was, he thought to himself. He had never traveled with such a combative group before.

As he hopped off the wagon, having finally dressed himself, he could at last make out the argument. It seemed that the homosexual gentleman and the Japanese immigrant were back at it again as they exchanged barbed and heated insults with each other. The pointless back-and-forth was giving Ninth a headache. Wish I had some coffee, he thought to himself, but such a luxury was scarce on the trail.

Ninth wiped at his forehead, already feeling the heat from the morning sun. It would be a hot day, so he decided to head to the nearby stream and freshen up before he got too sweaty and grimy. On the way to the stream, he saw someone by the shore that he recognized and knew well: Wins Threetwosevensixseven. Ninth had always wondered at the origins of the Threetwosevensixseven family; some said they were deposed German nobles fleeing the Kaiser's wrath, while others speculated they came from further east. None of that mattered to Ninth, though; he was just happy to see one of his old neighbors along for a trip. He waved to Wins and said "hey what's up?"

##vote wins32767

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After eating, Ninth considered the fellow travelers arrayed around him in the campsite with a measure of unease. He remembered a conversation he overheard among two of the settlers, who had been speculating over whether famous businessman Ecco Theraven had planted his own agents among the caravan for some nefarious plot or whatever. Ninth hadn't thought much of the conversation at the time, but now, having listened to some of the more pointless arguing among his fellows, he began to see the truth in such a rumor.

Most obnoxious of the yammerers was Kashuno, who appeared dead-set on pressing people to act seriously about the journey, even though the trip had only just started and people were still getting to know each other. Seems a bit too early to be bossing people around and sowing suspicion, even if there are really unscrupulous businessmen among us, Ninth thought. It was not uncommon for settlers to be worried about an arduous journey like the one this group was about to take, but Ninth felt Kashuno was trying to cut past the getting-to-know-each-ther phase of the trip a little too quickly.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ninth spoke up. "Voting out a fellow traveler simply because of his darker skin is not very becoming of us settlers. I thought we were striving to create a new society out in the unspoiled wilderness, not merely perpetuating the barbarism of the South."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Flying Leatherman posted:

TNL your posting style has been a lot of fun to read. Where did you get the unscrupulous businessmen thing for scum flavor? I didn't get any explicit flavor stuff about it and on reread of the OP it seemed like a little bit of a jump from the given flavor to your post.

Ninth shrugged. "Who else would profit from ruining this daring expedition? No one besides profiteers, I would think."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At last, the brave settlers' crew began moving. Ninth walked alongside the lumbering wagons, easing himself into the steady marching pattern that would be his way of living for the next couple of weeks. He looked ahead to the horses, who tugged their burdens forward with grim determination, and knew he would find similar resolve in himself, along with a new home to settle down in.

He would have liked to enjoy the walk with nothing but the clip-clopping of horse hooves and the trundling of wagon wheels, but endless arguments spread among his companions and echoed among the forest trees, filling the trail with disruptive noise. Ninth could no longer ignore the truth of the rumors of a secret businessman takeover plot — if so many travelers were still bandying it about, it must have some legs. A mob was forming, and votes were being cast. He knew there would be no escaping the slaughter to come.

Ninth's own initial survey of his fellows was worrying. He was forced to admit that he was unfamiliar with several of the caravan, including Infinitum and Flying Leatherman, two players that had accrued early suspicion. Ninth was loath to judge these two settlers, as he had no personal insight into their past experience as pioneers, and did not see himself voting for either of them any time soon.

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Leatherman

Things that I'm usually suspicious of in the early game:

(a) town reads
(b) politeness
(c) taking jokeposts or insignificant details too seriously

And I feel like Leatherman is doing all three here.

"This feels like an easy suspicion for you to pursue," Ninth said. "A lot of these traits could be ascribed to a newer traveler who just wants to fit in. For example, I've seen a lot of fresh faces confuse friendly banter for more serious discussion. I also think they tend to be more polite than your normal abrasive adventurer. Not all of us are as used to the harsh realities of the open road. Couldn't all your points here be explained by Leatherman's inexperience?"

Birdstrike posted:

You don't believe the Miller claim?

When Flying Leatherman had claimed that his being black meant he had no ties to businessmen, Ninth was skeptical. After all, he had met plenty of successful free black businessmen back in New York. There weren't tons of them, but it wasn't inconceivable that one of them had infiltrated their party for some nefarious reason or another. Upon thinking about it, Ninth thought it was suspicious that Birdstrike would bring up a Miller claim as a counter to Murmur Twin's case.

"Do you think a Miller claim invalidates all suspicion on Leatherman? All that claim means is that Leatherman would seem suspicious to a trained sleuth. It seems to me we should not automatically take that to mean he's a legitimate settler. I'm from New York, and believe me, I've seen plenty of black businessmen over there. Heck, I've seen plenty of businessmen pretend to be black.."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ninth raised his eyebrows. "I'm adding my voice to the conversation. It's not my fault if you don't want to listen to it."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Had a very busy work week, just going to drop the PR so I can get straight into posting in the game. I'm having real difficulty getting into this one possibly because of my unfamiliarity with the majority of posters here.

I really don't know what to make of Infiinitum getting a million votes yet not getting voted out yesterday. I probably wouldn't have voted for him if I had been around, but I'm surprised that a player who so many people wanted voted out still escaped the lynch pretty easily. Jailer is a very common scum role and I think jailing a claimed vigilante is a scummy use of it. Consider me on board with this lynch today, I just don't want to vote without knowing the exact vote count.

I wish votefinder had been working for that day yesterday. I'm unclear about the hammer rules too, it seemed like 14 out of 15 people were needed to preemptively end the day which is something I haven't seen from other games before.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At this point I'm sorta expecting the modkill.

Flying Leatherman posted:

I like TNL's posting much less today than I did yesterday, looking back. It's content-light (although it is entertainment-heavy!), the businessmen thing is still weird (hey non-flavor TNL, was that a serious thing?), and his post today was...bizarre. Unfamiliarity with the posters is all well and good, but that shouldn't prevent you from saying "this guy looks scummy from an objective perspective". I don't think it's necessary to have a meta read on everyone that you case. His words on Infinitum are also weird to me because I can't see a reason for the ambiguity. What changed between the end of overtime and today that would sway your opinion from "I wouldn't vote him" to "I'm on board with his lynch today"? TNL, were you just talking about D1 or would you not have voted him in overtime (after his claim) either?

The businessman thing was made up, I needed a flavor reason for everyone to be suspicious and came up with something that sounded reasonable. Natives infiltrating the group may have been a more obvious angle but it would be tough to justify in the flavor and would have forced me to speculate whether that dude with a sunburn was really an Indian or actual settler, etc.

I don't like voting out players I'm unfamiliar with here, in part because I think people play differently all over the place so someone coming in fresh or from other sites will make mistakes inadvertently and not because of alignment, and in part because most day 1 cases tend to gravitate toward newer, less experienced players that tend to flip town. I wouldn't have voted Infinitum yesterday mostly because I didn't know anything about him. I think the way the day ended yesterday with a huge swing to another player due to a not very convincing claim makes him look a lot scummier. I also think his jailing choice was scummy.

To answer your last question I don't think I would have voted Infinitum in overtime either but it's tough to say who I would have voted for since I wasn't around. Nobody jumped out as particularly scummy to me yesterday.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Scummiest thing I think I have seen today is Murmur Twin flipping from Infinitum is scum to Infinitum is town today as the votes solidified. Strikes me as a scummy move regardless of Infinitum's alignment since Murmur Twin can spin it whichever way she wants tomorrow. MT also tried to role fish Kash which I think is straight up scummy, if Kash felt like claiming an investigation he would have already done so.

Gonna be looking at Kash a lot harder if Infinitum flips town, gonna be looking at Venom Soag if he flips scum.

This is -1 so ##vote Infinitum

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At least you acknowledged it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll vote imgay if a town roleblocker admits to roleblocking him, otherwise don't think he is scummy.

I'm not voting Kash either just for being right about Infinitum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I like the Birdstrike case, don't like him trying to call the scum team based on tenuous connections so early in the game. Probably going to sit on my vote for most of today though.

If you're going to vote me, do it because of my apathetic spectator play and not because I made up some flavor.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You've never seen a town rolebocker before? They are very common.

But in any case, if there's a town roleblocker who stopped imgay from killing they should have already claimed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I agree. Think it's scummy Murmur Twin would suggest that if she got shot it would help the town catch scum too. Wouldn't a townie rather see scum get shot?

##vote Murmur Twin

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't think any townie should want to see themselves shot over any other player.

BK just said imgay isn't scum, in what way is he trying to case imgay?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I did not realize that yesterday's deadline was so soon.

I'm going to say the same thing I said yesterday: if imgay is scum who got roleblocked then where is the town roleblocker to claim that? If imgay is scum it would have to mean he is not a vigilante, didn't get roleblocked, and the scum have simply hit the person the doctor was protecting twice in a row. That may be the case but I'm not betting on it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

imgay posted:

2nd gun is a hunting rifle from infinitum that was in his wagon.

What kind of failure message did you get?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

I'm going to show my ignorance again, but if you're protected by a doctor and someone tries to NK you, are you informed?

Extremely rare due to balance concerns.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Why do you think he is scum?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also haven't voted for anyone today.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Scum could be roleblocking imgay to keep kashuno alive but that still doesn't explain where their kill is going. I dunno I think they're both town.

I like BottleKnight more than Birdstrike and think it's scummy the two people he cased are the ones voting him.

I still think Murmur Twin is scummy on a gut level, think it's not really that townie to have gone down defending scum on day 2. Her posts read as very formulated, a b c d e case presentations that come off as unnatural.

Nobody else I am really suspicious of. Maybe a little suspicious of Leatherman for hounding me on a flavor case and for his millet claim (which could always just be scum admitting they investigate as scum).

##vote Murmur Twin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MG3 posted:

Can you expand on this I'm having a hard time parsing this.

Sorry I'm on a train phone posting. I like BottleKnight's play this game a lot more than Birdstrike's, agree with most of what BK has said this game, and find it suspicious that the people voting him now are the people he cased.

• Locked thread