Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Anchors posted:

dad dead. so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
the joke angle on this thread is sublime by the way and if you don't get it you are on probably on the butt end of the joke

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Shaquin posted:

the joke angle on this thread is sublime by the way and if you don't get it you are on probably on the butt end of the joke

you are taking this poo poo way too serious

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
*14 page treatise on the posting dynamics of GBS*

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

you are taking this poo poo way too serious

haha im not discoursing on the goon codex and fyad joke lore here i just think you can have a thread that is sincere and also funny

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Shaquin posted:

haha im not discoursing on the goon codex and fyad joke lore here i just think you can have a thread that is sincere and also funny

just support are troops and keep positng comrade

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i wish I had a posting dad who could have taught me how to post properly so I wouldn't be on the butt end of threadjokes )^'=

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Gatekeeper posted:

i wish I had a posting dad who could have taught me how to post properly so I wouldn't be on the butt end of threadjokes )^'=

Don't worry, it's not a particularly good joke.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The father of GBS.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i dont have a dad

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Shaquin posted:

Shaquin posted:

Shaquin posted:

I can not express to you how much I miss that man. He was second generation Polish catholic and had a hell of a youth himself but he was the most down to earth, honest, hard working sort of man. And he was just about the funniest person I've ever known. My whole family is loving hilarious honestly.

Shaquin posted:

Heres my dad round about the time I was living in texas for a spell a couple years back. There's a buncha framed ones of him trussed up for bull riding when he was younger which he did from about the age of 16 to when I was one or so and my moms made him quit lol so just about 11 years of it

A real rear end cowboy through and through and I certainly wish I'd found a similar bravado without wasting many years of my youth as an idiot pot head before taking a more serious turn but thats what youth is for in this soft rear end day and age I guess. He's intensely smart, both of my parents are, and despite his rough exterior he is incredibly knowledgeable about the wildest obscure poo poo. A master welder by trade he's worked his whole life as a roughneck, and he gets most of his pleasure out of being an outdoorman polymath, a lot of which he passed on to me, though its taken a long time for me to come back to it on account of the hippy phase.

He was a good dad and when my folks split I was old enough to understand it was best for the both of em. He's always done his best and just fine by me.

Raising a Coors to the redneck bastard right now. Love you pops.

Shaquin posted:

I gotta dig. My father's a literal cowboy who eschews technology in it's entirety so I've not much in the way of digital stuff. I'll have to get the albums out or find my old phone. Edit-

Heres my grandfather in the interim and I hope that's not too far off topic cause I sure did love the hell out of the man. He drove semis most of his life after the Navy, survived a brain tumor in his youth, raised three great kids, and was a Hostess driver for the nineteen years I knew him and I'll be damned if that wasn't just one of the coolest jobs for a grandfather to have. There was just an actual snack cake armory at my grandparents house.

Shaquin posted:

synthy I know thats your real dad because of some remembrance of something where you were posting that and its true and i dont know how a yad vet like yourself would take this but thanks for the thread man, I got kind of a nice heartfelt lift after typing some of that stuff out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The father of GBS.

no, that's the son of gbs.

gbs gay. so what

e: I've always felt this was the case, dg.sw is the product of gbs ergo gbs is the gay dad. but so what? v. profound stuff imo

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

get fucin banned

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gatekeeper posted:

no, that's the son of gbs.

gbs gay. so what

e: I've always felt this was the case, dg.sw is the product of gbs ergo gbs is the gay dad. but so what? v. profound stuff imo

Good point. Just as the GOP created Trump.... GBS created dad gay. so what

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

lot of really cool dad pics ITT

i don't think i have any pics of my dad or if i would be comfortable posting them but i look a lot like him so i could just draw a self portrait of myself todaynwith some long late 70's hair and it would be fairly close

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Shaquin posted:

I gotta dig. My father's a literal cowboy who eschews technology in it's entirety so I've not much in the way of digital stuff. I'll have to get the albums out or find my old phone. Edit-

Heres my grandfather in the interim and I hope that's not too far off topic cause I sure did love the hell out of the man. He drove semis most of his life after the Navy, survived a brain tumor in his youth, raised three great kids, and was a Hostess driver for the nineteen years I knew him and I'll be damned if that wasn't just one of the coolest jobs for a grandfather to have. There was just an actual snack cake armory at my grandparents house.

That is some amazing hair.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
This is my Dad, and I miss him a lot. There are a lot of cool Dads in this thread and it gave me feelings so now I'm going to go cry for a bit.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
on the real tip though, I have this challenge coin from my fathers' time spent in the army. i carry it everywhere i go, it's a nice token to have, just the right size and weight to serve as a memento. if time permits later i'll dig out some of his old photos from that time.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LadyAmbien posted:

This is my Dad, and I miss him a lot. There are a lot of cool Dads in this thread and it gave me feelings so now I'm going to go cry for a bit.

That's a good moustache dad. I don't have any pictures of my dad on my phone but just picture a 70s giant hair, grizzly Adams beard sitting on a Moto guzzi at sturgis 76

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

real dad no fake

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Where his feets?!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

scott zoloft posted:

real dad no fake

Your dad has got that wise guy 1920s mafia vibe going on and that's tight as hell. Are you Italian?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

scott zoloft posted:

real dad no fake

Your dad has most definitely killed a guy with piano wire at some point in his life.

Rad

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
nah. you can't see it well, but he's also rocking a wicked long ponytail. he still does but with much less hair in the front.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

scott zoloft posted:

real dad no fake

gotta see more of this dad

edit: would like to see less of that kid hes begrudgingly holding

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Well here goes. My Dad was the best person I've ever known. He was born old and I was born stupid so we never got along. However, it did not escape my notice that he was a super supportive, hyper-responsible father that would do anything for me (except put up with my smart-rear end mouth). He died in 2008. I had been thinking about telling him about how proud I was of him and thanking him for all of the things he taught me. It was just too awkward for me to get up the guts to tell him what should have been said. I never got around to it and then he kicked off.

Lesson: I really hosed this up. It is, BY FAR, my biggest regret in life. Nothing else even remotely comes close. If there are any goons out there who have an awkward relationship with a loved one but still really admire and love them, you best get to steppin. Don't be a completely worthless, stupid dick like me.

I'll try to find some pictures of him to post tomorrow.

Humor part: He died on the shitter.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

gotta see more of this dad

edit: would like to see less of that kid hes begrudgingly holding

baby scotty's here to stay. ;)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

your dad is dee eight?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My dad loves drinking sherry. Anyone else's dad do that?

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
my dad is a dead gay dad. so no. dead dad crew: what was it like when ur dad went from alive to dead? mine was 48 and i think i'll always feel like i didn't take the opportunity to learn more from him and spend time together. at the end i was his other caretaker (the first being my mother) but by then he couldn't even speak or move so yeah

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I'll beee there untillll the last teardrop faaaallls

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The '60s-est dad:

Adbot