Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I've never been able to beat Lemmings 2 so I'm not too sure about this. I was able to fully assemble the medallion, but it was mostly made of bronze and silver, though. It's definitely an interesting game though.

I'd be happy to watch you LP Lemmings 2 even if it wasn't a 100% perfect gold-all-the-way LP, assuming you'd have fun with an LP of Lemmings 2. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
The opening of the video really drove home just how many ports this game had, many of which were in just a couple short years after the original version. Was this game "big" back then? I have some memories of playing it on the Genesis and finding it fun enough, but kid me when couldn't stick with it and went back to playing games where you have direct control over your character. Looking forward to both the chill and bullshit levels to come!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
It really was ported to everything (The SAM Coupé! I'd forgotten about that), no matter how suitable. The C64 one took 3 years do because it was so technically difficult.

I had the original Gameboy version. It was a bit crap, not least because if you were holding down a direction when the level ended the game locked up.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If you don't know what they're talking about, watch these two videos.

Specifically starting at 1:30 in the second video

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
This was the lemmings I mostly played.

... I think I still liked it? I did also manage to play the Atari ST version so I wasn't completely deprived.

Awesome that you're LPing this, this'll be a welcome bit of nostalgia.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I still have the Amstrad CPC version on disk. I'm tempted to whip it out, if I can find somewhere to set up the system.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

geri_khan posted:

This was the lemmings I mostly played.

... I think I still liked it? I did also manage to play the Atari ST version so I wasn't completely deprived.

Awesome that you're LPing this, this'll be a welcome bit of nostalgia.

I had the Spectrum version as well! It just shows how drat good the animations were that they could still be so characterful even without any colour. Plus, the ability to lock-on to a lemming was an inspired bit of conversion.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Anyone remember Lemmings Paintball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHIiCnVvcPA

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I remember that. I got it from a Scholastic order thing in grade school based on the name. I don't remember it being that good, though, being bad at it didn't help.

The other lemmings game I remember is 3D Lemmings. I never actually played the full game, just the demo, which had practice stages introducing the jobs and obstacles, then 8 or so stages of various difficulties. One of the demo levels needed you to take lemmings up a giant lemming statue, which was kinda cool.

The thing that really changed how the game felt was the first person view. There were a lot of levels where you had lemmings go through tunnels, and that was the only reasonable way to see what was going on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's funny how the music in the Amiga version (or the Java-based Amiga version???) bothers me so much. I was so used to lovely Windows MIDI as a kid.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

3D Lemmings was of the first two Playstation games we owned. I remember it being an absolute nightmare to control.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, got that at the same time as Lemmings for Windows 95. I was never any good at it, but it had some fun music (especially the very chill main theme that you only hear tiny bits of in that video)

quote:

Was this game "big" back then?
It's hard to remember these days, but Lemmings was huge. Before GTA, it was the game that put DMA Design (or Rockstar North as they're now known) on the map.

A fun history of Lemmings

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 27, 2016

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

pick-e posted:

The opening of the video really drove home just how many ports this game had, many of which were in just a couple short years after the original version. Was this game "big" back then? I have some memories of playing it on the Genesis and finding it fun enough, but kid me when couldn't stick with it and went back to playing games where you have direct control over your character. Looking forward to both the chill and bullshit levels to come!
Lemmings literally came out of nowhere. DMA Design was one of those experimental companies who took risks and tried to innovate. The inspiration for Lemmings came from working on smoother animation for sprites. There wasn't much, if any pre-release hype, but it ended up being wildly successful.

e: f;b -- i'm also wrong! after reading the article posted before me, they were actually working on another game! i'm just going to leave that in though so you can laugh at me being dumb

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Lemmings was A Big Deal for quite a while, especially on the Amiga. Just punching "lemmings" into Aminet gets you

- A bunch of animations, including the one mentioned in that article, and this:

- some level sets and fangames, like Lemmingoids:

- Lemmings for your Workbench:

- And most, importantly, "Lemmings v S*nic the Hedgehog"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
there is a fantastic history of DMA Design here: http://www.dmadesign.org

The lemming stuff starts here: http://www.javalemmings.com/DMA/DMA2_4.htm

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Excited to see how this plays out, thanks for doing this PE!

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
NEW UPDATE

The rodents continue their perilous journey through the Fun difficulty. They now know what they are able to do to get to the end. Let's see if they have what it takes to get to safety!

Things are still smooth and easy, so take the opportunity to brush on your Lemmings skills and try out new things!

Fun - Levels 11-20

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Fun trivia: "Origins and Lemmings" is a pun on the British childrens' song "Oranges and Lemons", which starts off being about church bells and ends up being about getting beheaded by an executioner for not being able to pay your debts.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Since you've now encountered the first hidden traps of the game, I'll note that Superlemmini has an easy way of exposing them. All of the level elements are stored in the "Styles" folder as PNG images, so any image editing software can be used to change their appearance (though MSPaint will probably screw up the transparency). If you're playing on the very latest version released earlier today, this folder is in a file called "root.lzp" which is simply a zip archive with the extension changed. The style of Fun 17 is "Marble" and the crushers are in that folder as marbleo_8.png. Animated elements have their frames stacked vertically, and traps like this stay on their first frame until activated. Adding a yellow box to the top frame results in the level looking like this:

The Styles subfolders also have magenta shapes in them that mark the actual collision of the level elements. You can tell what they correspond to because they have the same filenames but with an m before the underscore. So for the crushers, their activation box is marbleom_8.png. If you open up a trap image in paint.net and import its magenta file as a layer, it will automatically align to the top, showing you the exact trigger for that one. That's a good way of showing most hidden traps, but in this particular case the magenta will still be hidden under the floor.

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 30, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The builders have sound cues for their last three tiles. Nifty.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Whybird posted:

Fun trivia: "Origins and Lemmings" is a pun on the British childrens' song "Oranges and Lemons", which starts off being about church bells and ends up being about getting beheaded by an executioner for not being able to pay your debts.

I've wondered about that for years!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I've wondered about that for years!

I don't know if it relates, but it was referenced extensively in 1984 of all things.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FractalSandwich posted:

The builders have sound cues for their last three tiles. Nifty.

Yup. Doesn't mean you won't mess it up through failyures to micromanage etc

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I really love that you've left in the bit where you screw up. It makes for a far more authentic Lemmings experience!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm, some of those levels have water on only a part of the bottom. What happens if you mine/bash into the side of the water? Are there any kind of water physics?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hm, some of those levels have water on only a part of the bottom. What happens if you mine/bash into the side of the water? Are there any kind of water physics?

Nope, water is just a solid block that's animated. If you walk into it, you drown.

In general the level designers are pretty good about making sure that most water is bordered by metal so you can't dig your way into it, but there are a few that they missed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wouldn't it be possible to do that trap level with zero casualties easily? Go down to the left, build a bridge up into the giant block in the middle and punch through it.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

SirSamVimes posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to do that trap level with zero casualties easily? Go down to the left, build a bridge up into the giant block in the middle and punch through it.

It's not quite that simple because of all the metal, but it is definitely possible to save 100% on this and the vast majority of levels. I'm not sure how much I want to go into techniques for that before we reach some of the later levels that require them, and I also don't want to look like I'm trying to show Psych up. I do really like coming up with ways to save all lemmings in a level, as I've mentioned earlier.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

It's been quite a while since I played this but I'm pretty sure you can save 100% on that level by using a builder just in front of each of the traps. They should only trigger when a lemming walks over the floor. You may have to use two builders a time to stop them walking over when the bridge is too short.

It's going to be fun to watch an LP of the first videogame I ever played.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Quirkk posted:

It's been quite a while since I played this but I'm pretty sure you can save 100% on that level by using a builder just in front of each of the traps. They should only trigger when a lemming walks over the floor. You may have to use two builders a time to stop them walking over when the bridge is too short.

It's going to be fun to watch an LP of the first videogame I ever played.

You can also beat it by getting all the lemmings really close together using a blocker and having them walk down the death hallway in a really small clump. The squishers can only kill one lemming at a time so by the time it resets the rest are already past it. The rope snare works the same way.

Some traps don't operate like this tho, like those spinning fire things, they just churn whatever touches it immediately.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Alpha3KV posted:

It's not quite that simple because of all the metal, but it is definitely possible to save 100% on this and the vast majority of levels. I'm not sure how much I want to go into techniques for that before we reach some of the later levels that require them, and I also don't want to look like I'm trying to show Psych up. I do really like coming up with ways to save all lemmings in a level, as I've mentioned earlier.

Yeah, one of the nice things about the Fun levels is that you have enough spare skills that there are so many different ways you can solve them. Many of the more difficult levels are just the same level again, except this time you only have just enough skills to solve it in one specific way.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

inflatablefish posted:

Yeah, one of the nice things about the Fun levels is that you have enough spare skills that there are so many different ways you can solve them. Many of the more difficult levels are just the same level again, except this time you only have just enough skills to solve it in one specific way.
Even then, there's room for multiple solutions on a handful of the really tough levels, but many of them indeed suffer from the "one true way" syndrome where if you don't perform exactly as desired by the level designer, you fail; sometimes by a literal fraction of a second...

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Seiren posted:

Even then, there's room for multiple solutions on a handful of the really tough levels, but many of them indeed suffer from the "one true way" syndrome where if you don't perform exactly as desired by the level designer, you fail; sometimes by a literal fraction of a second...

I'm sure I remember one level where I had to have two miners precisely timed to dig towards each other so they'd meet in the middle and cancel each other out.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

inflatablefish posted:

To be fair, as noted from the History of Lemmings thing, the hard levels were often designed first and the easier levels are the copies with more skills and more room to experiment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and figuring out how to handle a level with limited resources is where the fun apparently is. For the, uh, less explosive-happy players.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, and figuring out how to handle a level with limited resources is where the fun apparently is. For the, uh, less explosive-happy players.

For me, the fun thing is how to use the extra resources to come up with an unconventional solution. :)

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Lemmings has some of the best game design I've ever seen in video games. I particularly like how they set up the difficulties. Whenever we got stuck on a level, we'd leave it and try another from a different set.

The Mac port was really good. It was just like the Amiga version but with enhanced graphics, fast-forward, almost no loading, but without the two-player mode. I have a Basilisk emulator all set up for it if anyone's interested. Apple released Macintosh System 7 for free, so it's fine, but I'm not sure whether you can distribute the full game as abandonware, so I'll include the demo instead.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I've never been able to beat Lemmings 2 so I'm not too sure about this. I was able to fully assemble the medallion, but it was mostly made of bronze and silver, though. It's definitely an interesting game though.

Are you planning on LP'ing that too? Saving all the lemmings for gold is a pain in the arse, but I've done it before on SNES so I could help you out there if you need.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Mush Man posted:

Are you planning on LP'ing that too? Saving all the lemmings for gold is a pain in the arse, but I've done it before on SNES so I could help you out there if you need.
I'm working on this! I'm replaying through the game and I have 6 gold medallion pieces! This is way better than anything I've ever done with this game ever.

With that said, I still haven't touched most of the tribes that I remember being brutal as hell (Polar, Highland, Space, Sports were tribes I remembered being really hard)

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Annnnnnd...

NEW UPDATE

Fun comes to a close! The warm up ends and the game is slowly creeping up to where it starts being difficult. Some of these levels might be difficult to newcomers so don't let your guard down!

Fun - Levels 21-30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
One thing demonstrated by the first level in that video is that the bear trap's trigger is off-center and actually pretty tall

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread