Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Are there any other 'skill combo' names you get like the Athlete? Also quite a few of these levels seemed Basher/Builder-heavy. Hopefully we'll start seeing some other skills get their time to shine. That SNES difficulty end animation was really cute, thanks for throwing it into the video!

JFairfax posted:

there is a fantastic history of DMA Design here: http://www.dmadesign.org

The lemming stuff starts here: http://www.javalemmings.com/DMA/DMA2_4.htm
Thanks for these. I was gaming in that era but there were many sides to it I missed along the way. Had no idea those companies were around way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's no other skills you can have simultaneously. Climber and Floater are both passives, all the others are actively doing something.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Anyone played Lemmings Revolution? It has a whole heap of new tricks that mix up the puzzles. The installer no longer works on Windows 10 and I had to do a registry hack to get it running, but it still plays fine.

Mush Man fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 6, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or was there a Lemmings platformer too?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Am I crazy or was there a Lemmings platformer too?

There totally was!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mush Man posted:

Anyone played Lemmings Revolution? It has a whole heap of new tricks that mix up the puzzles. The installer no longer works on Windows 10 and I had to do a registry hack to get it running, but it still plays fine.

Lemmings Revolution was a nice return to form after Lemmings 3, but it had a lot of wasted potential. For example most levels had a big indestructible border across the cylinder, making it pointless.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Mush Man posted:

I heard a bunch about it but I never could find it in stores anywhere. So it's a 3D Lemmings game that plays like 2D Lemmings?

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I heard a bunch about it but I never could find it in stores anywhere. So it's a 3D Lemmings game that plays like 2D Lemmings?

The 3D is purely presentational except that levels loop around. Rotating the cylinder is effectively scrolling and lemmings walking in each direction stay on their own side of the path. In fact, most things are actually prerendered 3D sprites. So yeah, it's very 2D.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
When in comes to the level art, in particular the rocky levels, did they draw some kind of outline of a level and when they were happy with how it played the artists had to "draw within the lines"?

Great work on the LP, you are closing in on the stressful levels and I feel rather scared.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

NEW UPDATE

Time for the fear to slowly creep in, it's time to take on the Tricky levels!

With that said, the Tricky difficulty starts off gently, giving you a few levels to further ease you in the game with those patented "choose your adventure" levels that give you every skill in the book to prevail. However, we're getting some stages that require more finesse to win. You better get ready!

Tricky - Levels 1-10

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are you deliberately handicapping yourself by avoiding using the paws button?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
'A doddle' is a british term for something very easy. It may have derived from 'toddle', something so easy a toddler could do it, in effect.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hey Eye you said you were using a remake version? Where'd you get that?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

AJ_Impy posted:

'A doddle' is a british term for something very easy. It may have derived from 'toddle', something so easy a toddler could do it, in effect.
A few other British Translation Notes:

"Here's one I prepared earlier" is a catchphrase from the long-running children's show Blue Peter (they do a lot of projects you can make at home). Good catch on the potential reference to reused level design. "Been there, seen it, done it" may well be another such reference, although it's also a saying people come up with when they're feeling particularly jaded about some supposedly exciting experience (all it's missing is "bought the T-Shirt").

"There's a lot of it about" is usually used in reference to illnesses that are going around at a given moment, like a stomach bug or a common cold variant.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I thought the "metal" stuff was always indestructible? I noticed on level 9, when you ordered all the lemmings to self-destruct, they actually blew a few holes in the blocks. Are some of them secretly destructible? Or is it a bug related to the mass self-destruct option?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I thought the "metal" stuff was always indestructible? I noticed on level 9, when you ordered all the lemmings to self-destruct, they actually blew a few holes in the blocks. Are some of them secretly destructible? Or is it a bug related to the mass self-destruct option?

I never figured out the precise rule, but there is some bug/unintended feature in how metal is indestructible, that lets you destroy it in some circumstances. It has something to do with the game thinking the digging/bombing is actually only affecting normal walls. I think it's hard to do intentionally.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it happens when you bomb while standing on a staircase. Since the staircase is bombable, and also seems to intersect the terrain a little bit, the explosion continues.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it might have been because the metal had algae on that bit? None of the rest was affected.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I've usually only noticed it when I've been nuking all my lemmings, so I assume it's a bug/to do with when all the lemmings are exploding.

The clear the map button is great. For extra fun, hit it when your lemmings are still on their way to the portal and see if they make it in time!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BUCKET, DEAR LIZA :byodood:

So will we get to see a dickery filled two player video?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Are you deliberately handicapping yourself by avoiding using the paws button?
I can't use the paws button that early in the game! It's a sign of weakness!

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Sorry for the double post, I just remembered about the following, which would be nice to address.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey Eye you said you were using a remake version? Where'd you get that?
I'm playing the game using SuperLemmini, a Java-based fan-made engine. It uses the files and assets of the Windows 95 port of the game (so you do need to legally own the game to play it since you must supply the game files yourself). However, it redesigns the game in order to make it play and feel like the original Amiga version, while also keeping well-received features of the Windows 95 version, like Action Replay, Fast Forward and the ability to assign skills to Lemmings walking in a certain direction. It runs way cleaner than the Windows 95 version nowadays (the original's fast-forward is directly tied to your processor's speed, so hitting this button will speed up time by several thousands of times and will immediately reduce your time to 0), it also replaces Windows 95's awful MIDI music by the Amiga music and the latest version gives an option to use the music from the CD-ROM DOS version if you want. It's really cool!

You can also stretch the window to the size you want so I'm using this opportunity to play in sweet HD and have it look great to boot! It's probably the best way to play Lemmings right now. It gives you all of the convenience and bells and whistles while staying true to the game's original mechanics.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So will we get to see a dickery filled two player video?
Gonna have to see if you can have multiplayer Amiga that involves the usage of two separate mice. Otherwise, the SNES version will be used to achieve that. Gonna have to work out something involving this.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
If you want to know where to get SuperLemmini, it's here:
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=5a456a461869620f5a9b77f99368d103&topic=1793.0;all
Note that the latest version requires Java 8.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The current issue of Retro Gamer magazine has an interview with one of the guys who worked on Lemmings, if anyone's interested.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

For those wondering about how the solid steel broke, here's some information from Tasvideos that describes how to do this (breaking through steel can help save a lot of time in the tool assisted speedrun) I'll spoiler tag the methods that weren't shown in the video

What we saw was Psych using the self-destruct button while lemmings were walking up and down a staircase that was built above the steel, if they blew up right on the part of the staircase that was a specific distance from the steel, the steel gets damaged, another thing that happens is one lemming blew up causing another to fall as the staircase he was standing on was blown up, then that lemming would blow up while falling at a distance high enough from the steel to blow some of it away.

Here's the comment by LordTom who made the TAS for lemmings

LordTom posted:

Going through steel/wrong way arrows: * Bomb: Bomber lemmings can damage steel if the detonation occurs a sufficient distance away. * Bash: Bashing just as a lemming turns around will usually take a small chunk out. When there's only a few pixels of steel remaining, you can just bash through forwards. * Dig: By first building a bridge and digging down from it, it is possible to dig various distances into steel.

Using these unintended methods of breaking steel can actually allow you to make alternative solutions to save time, but in many cases are too precise to do without savestates or frame-by-frame playing.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 13, 2016

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

Do you think you'll do demo videos of the games from the cross-promotional levels at any point, like Menacing?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Whilst farting I posted:

Do you think you'll do demo videos of the games from the cross-promotional levels at any point, like Menacing?
Not too sure about it. Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about these games and I've never played them. Before I started the LP, I didn't even knew these levels were supposed to promote other Psygnosis games.

Funny thing you're talking about Menacing though, because it's time for a NEW UPDATE

The second portion of Tricky is upon us. This is where the game starts to transition from being a chill, happy-go-lucky adventure game to being a puzzle game where you have to use your skills in a creative manner to win.

Nothing too difficult yet, with one exception. We'll run into the one level of the game where a lot of casual Lemmings players stop playing the game altogether! Let's see what this is about!

Tricky - Levels 11-20

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Not too sure about it. Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about these games and I've never played them. Before I started the LP, I didn't even knew these levels were supposed to promote other Psygnosis games.

Funny thing you're talking about Menacing though, because it's time for a NEW UPDATE

The second portion of Tricky is upon us. This is where the game starts to transition from being a chill, happy-go-lucky adventure game to being a puzzle game where you have to use your skills in a creative manner to win.

Nothing too difficult yet, with one exception. We'll run into the one level of the game where a lot of casual Lemmings players stop playing the game altogether! Let's see what this is about!

Tricky - Levels 11-20

god drat did you make postcard from lemmingland look easy

Captain Foo posted:

I played Lemmings as a kid! quite a bit! Fun is fun and quite easy, but the game ramps up FAST after that. The legendary stopping wall in my house was only ever Tricky 19.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
loving hell I remember watching my dad play this on our family computer when I was really little. Even when I was older I was never that good at micromanaging the little bastards to do well at it. I will really enjoy this LP though. :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the :ducksiren:ACID level, you had to build over the entry hatch. That made me wonder, if a lemming falls on top of the entry hatch, is it solid? Can the lemming walk on it or will it fall straight through?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the :ducksiren:ACID level, you had to build over the entry hatch. That made me wonder, if a lemming falls on top of the entry hatch, is it solid? Can the lemming walk on it or will it fall straight through?

I believe the hatch has no collision.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey Psych, there's a new tag in Games:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

We need a mod to fix this pronto.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Also Imp Zone and its previous incarnation as Your Console Sucks had this one for a close to a decade now:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Alpha3KV posted:

Also Imp Zone and its previous incarnation as Your Console Sucks had this one for a close to a decade now:

If we can vote on tags then I'd vote for this one cause I like it a little more.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Jedit posted:

The current issue of Retro Gamer magazine has an interview with one of the guys who worked on Lemmings, if anyone's interested.
Holy poo poo what up fellow Retro reader! :hfive: now I'm gonna have to see if I can order myself a copy.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey Psych, there's a new tag in Games:
It's not in Let's Play sadly, so I don't think the LP mods can change the icon :(

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think the way they get exotic tags on threads is by moving the thread to the subforum with the tag, modifying the tag and then moving it back. I'm not sure if it requires the help of an accomplice moderator from the other subforum, though.
You could always ask.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FinalGamer posted:

Holy poo poo what up fellow Retro reader! :hfive: now I'm gonna have to see if I can order myself a copy.

Zinio is your friend. Annual digital sub is £30 for 13 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good to see you back again after the aborted Binding of Isaac LP. I watched all of those videos in a row and I was wondering when you were gonna get to use Bombers in ways other than getting rid of Blockers, but the last one answered my question.

I remember having the Nintendo Power that had a mini-strategy guide for the Game Boy version of Lemmings. That must have been quite a weird port.

• Locked thread