Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

It's not in Let's Play sadly, so I don't think the LP mods can change the icon :(

It is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jedit posted:

Zinio is your friend. Annual digital sub is £30 for 13 issues.
I tried to get a copy from a WHSmith's at a service station today (because service station WHSmith's seem to be where I always get Retro Gamer from), but they didn't have it :(. I do have a Retro Gamer from a few months back (No. 140) that had a big feature on Lemmings, though.

I like how there's a little gauntlet based on remixes of the tutorial levels - never really noticed that they were all in a row when I played the game before, probably because I had Lemmings for Windows '95's "Cheat" button that straight up let you skip as many levels as you want, so I just unlocked all the Lemmings and ONML levels and played them piecemeal. Wonder if they were all designed at the same time?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 17, 2016

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
And here we are, with the proper thread tag!

Big hugs to you Geop. :glomp:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sign me up as someone who got stuck in Lemmingland. I knew you could use the builder to turn around, but using that technique to turn around at the end never occurred to me.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am full of nostalgic memories. I was about 6 when I played this game so I didn't make it past the fun levels from what I recall. It's great to see this LP and evokes all kinds of fuzzy feels.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Pretty sure that last one there is to reinforce that builder-turnaround trick from Lemmingland. You have all the tools to solve it normally, but players can use that new trick they were forced to learn last level to squeeze out an extra save and feel clever about it without being forced to do so to succeed. Come at this from the perspective of a new player going through for the first time without a FAQ and the reasoning makes sense. It's a great way to reinforce the usage of a new skill the player recently learned.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

NEW UPDATE

The Tricky difficulty is over! Celebrate good times!

...uh oh. This means that Taxing is next, isn't it?

Tricky - Levels 21-30

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tightrope level looks insanely unfair if you don't have a way of guaranteeing your third builder is going the right direction.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
couldn't you put the right blocker far to the right, and maybe increase the release rate, so that there's a sizable gap in the lemming loop? Then wait for the gap to hit the right blocker and turn left, so the only lemmings in the gap would be headed right.

Also, in a previous episode, I noticed: when a builder runs out of bricks and shrugs, its job is listed as "Shrugger".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NullBlack posted:

couldn't you put the right blocker far to the right, and maybe increase the release rate, so that there's a sizable gap in the lemming loop? Then wait for the gap to hit the right blocker and turn left, so the only lemmings in the gap would be headed right.
It's got a really tight time limit; if you put the blockers too far apart, the lemmings won't make it there in time.

Anyhow, it turns out I didn't get to Taxing at all - the level that stopped me as a kid was I Have A Cunning Plan.
By the way, could that be a Blackadder reference? The fourth series was broadcasted in 1989 so it was probably better known back then.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

anilEhilated posted:

It's got a really tight time limit; if you put the blockers too far apart, the lemmings won't make it there in time.

Anyhow, it turns out I didn't get to Taxing at all - the level that stopped me as a kid was I Have A Cunning Plan.
By the way, could that be a Blackadder reference? The fourth series was broadcasted in 1989 so it was probably better known back then.
Yeah, it's almost certainly a Blackadder reference.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I really appreciate the soundtrack upgrade. The original just sounds so terrible, especially the how much is that doggie in the window song.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

If you need to build a bridge over a blocker in a certain direction you just have to set a builder a few lemmings back in the line and then let the front lemmings that will be your blocker walk further forward so the bridge doesn't hang over him. That way all lemmings on the bridge are walking in the right direction and you can build a second bridge from there to get them out. Doesn't really work on levels where you need to go left though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Quirkk posted:

If you need to build a bridge over a blocker in a certain direction you just have to set a builder a few lemmings back in the line and then let the front lemmings that will be your blocker walk further forward so the bridge doesn't hang over him. That way all lemmings on the bridge are walking in the right direction and you can build a second bridge from there to get them out. Doesn't really work on levels where you need to go left though.
You might also have problems in a situation like this where you have the minimum number of builders.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Even Cascade has 100% solutions on at least some versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9ubP4jUqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NouFPY0yb5o
I haven't managed to pull it off in SuperLemmini, as its particular stair physics make putting a wall in them very difficult, if not impossible.
E: I can wall off the big staircase, but my best is 99% since I haven't been able to stop just one lemming from getting through before the left side is sealed off.

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 21, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

holy poo poo

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Really liked the look of the Rainbow Island level. So many arches, so many deathtraps, yet going through it seemed nice and peaceful. The Tricky levels more or less lived up to their difficulties name. Game still looks fun up to this point.

Alpha3KV posted:

I haven't managed to pull it off in SuperLemmini, as its particular stair physics make putting a wall in them very difficult, if not impossible.
E: I can wall off the big staircase, but my best is 99% since I haven't been able to stop just one lemming from getting through before the left side is sealed off.
Watching those Lemmings climb the stairs in Cascade is mesmerizing. Even better in SNES slow-motion. :stare:

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Alpha3KV posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't think that would be possible. That's pretty impressive.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

NEW UPDATE

Taxing is here! Brace yourselves for imminent impact! This is where Lemmings no longer plays nice and where you'll have to devise more twisted solutions to win.

Levels will be involving enough so that I can only cover 5 of them per video. Enjoy!

Taxing - Levels 1-5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Tightrope level looks insanely unfair if you don't have a way of guaranteeing your third builder is going the right direction.

This but prison. I assume this is an issue many levels have, or else it wouldn't have gotten built in to various versions of the game?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I think I beat the first level of Taxing, then that was it for me.

I'm not even sure if I managed to complete all of the Tricky levels. I think I made it though a decent number of them though.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Cinnamenders.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

This but prison. I assume this is an issue many levels have, or else it wouldn't have gotten built in to various versions of the game?

A couple of them suffer from it but there also seem to be some which deliberately use it as a mechanic, so it's difficult to tell. I think it might just be that DMA were still figuring out what did and didn't make a level fun as they were building this game, and a couple of weird design decisions ended up getting made.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The lower route for that Prison level didn't look like it was remotely fun. Having to quickly alternate between dropping a single tile and bashing through the bars... so many points of failure for just that one section.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
On Taxing 4, the default release rate is slow enough that you can have the first lemming out of the right hatch dig, and none of them will climb out of the pit. On the Win95 version without water, I once did that and managed to get the second lemming out of that hatch to bash left while the first one was still digging, at just the height that he would go under the steel and clear the floor of the left side. This created a very convenient funnel to a holding pit while I made a complicated zigzag on the left half of the map to reach the exit without worrying about the spike traps. Speaking of which, their trigger points are roughly aligned with the second tubes from the bottom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

The lower route for that Prison level didn't look like it was remotely fun. Having to quickly alternate between dropping a single tile and bashing through the bars... so many points of failure for just that one section.
It really isn't. If you can somehow pull off this method on console versions, you deserve a medal. Even with keyboard shortcuts, this is so painful and annoying to do.

Alpha3KV posted:

On Taxing 4, the default release rate is slow enough that you can have the first lemming out of the right hatch dig, and none of them will climb out of the pit. On the Win95 version without water, I once did that and managed to get the second lemming out of that hatch to bash left while the first one was still digging, at just the height that he would go under the steel and clear the floor of the left side. This created a very convenient funnel to a holding pit while I made a complicated zigzag on the left half of the map to reach the exit without worrying about the spike traps. Speaking of which, their trigger points are roughly aligned with the second tubes from the bottom.

Huh, never would have thought that the hit detection on these was that low.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I think I had a demo or something that just came with the first level of each difficulty when I was a kid. I distinctly remember using two blockers right at the start of taxing 1, and nuking then all, so they were all in one place.

For that same level, I would use a miner before the first pillar, then bash under all of them, and blow up the blocker when the first bridge was almost done. I remember messing up the timing and having them fall shorten to the rope trap, but I don't remember running out of time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unpronounceable posted:

I think I had a demo or something that just came with the first level of each difficulty when I was a kid. I distinctly remember using two blockers right at the start of taxing 1, and nuking then all, so they were all in one place.

For that same level, I would use a miner before the first pillar, then bash under all of them, and blow up the blocker when the first bridge was almost done. I remember messing up the timing and having them fall shorten to the rope trap, but I don't remember running out of time.

You could start at level 1 of any difficulty

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Why is the music wrong now?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

You could start at level 1 of any difficulty

Yeah, but I couldn't play any level 2.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thedaian posted:

I think I beat the first level of Taxing, then that was it for me.

I'm not even sure if I managed to complete all of the Tricky levels. I think I made it though a decent number of them though.

Those first two Taxing levels actually looked easier than some of the Tricky ones. The difficulty certainly doesn't seem to be a clear progression.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Alpha3KV posted:

Could you send a basher all the way to the right just under the metal, then blow him up before he got as far as the water so that you could build your way upward, and then create a spiral stair all the way to the top?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ilustforponydeath posted:

By 'wrong' do you mean 'not original PC speaker quality'? Because if so you should probably take those rose colored glasses off.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'm using the DOS CD-ROM music now instead of the Amiga soundtrack. Seems nicer in overall.

Whybird posted:

Could you send a basher all the way to the right just under the metal, then blow him up before he got as far as the water so that you could build your way upward, and then create a spiral stair all the way to the top?
You'd have to build up before exiting the pillar, otherwise you'd instantly drown upon bashing through it. After that, you can simply build up and use a miner to dig through the pillar blocking the exit.

On the PC version, all of this is negated because there was no water in this level for some reason. You can bash straight out of the level and build upwards without any worries in the world.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

By 'wrong' do you mean 'not original PC speaker quality'? Because if so you should probably take those rose colored glasses off.

Not original amiga quality, more like. This sounds like it's made in mario paint.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

NEW UPDATE

Taxing is showing off its true colors. As in... the levels are a big mixed bag. Some levels involve really gimmicky solutions, others barely require you to change your strategies, others are difficult and a few levels are just overly mean!

Taxing - Levels 6-12

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I laughed way too much at all the lemmings going the wrong direction and drowning. twice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

best video yet.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah I also burst out laughing at what happened at the 13 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hapa
Feb 18, 2013
Oh man, level 11 was fantastic. Thanks for being a good sport and keeping that in the recording.

• Locked thread