Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Last time I went to Chase Field it was Bank One Ballpark like 10+ years ago and I still loving remember Lemonade Guy. He's the best. YUMMY GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The 2016 Texas Rangers:

A good writeup that gets bonus points for including Anime Colby Lewis, but I am also going to have to dock a few points for not including a Keone Kela strut gif in the bullpen section

:swoon:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RE: Diamondbacks

The funny thing about the Bronson Arroyo trade, which everybody panned as the DBacks being pennywise about contracts, was that Touki absolutely floundered once he got into the Braves' org. He always had some control issues but it exploded in Rome. If he never turns into anything and the DBacks get anything out of Gosselin, then they dumped something like 5+ million dollars on the Braves (and eventually Dodgers where he was sent as part of the Olivera deal) and they got a utility player. There were enough things that broke right for the DBacks last year that it makes me wonder if Cardinals devil magic traveled to Arizona with LaRussa. I guess we'll see if David Peralta magically starts hitting LHP and Tomas suddenly can hit.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

I'd put them in the dumb luck section if that holds true.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

I'd put them in the dumb luck section if that holds true.

It's also the fallacy of the pre-ordained outcome. It's become very, very clear that certain orgs are way better at building skills than the others.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The Giants writeups were fantastic. My only suggestion is that we use one of the greatest baseball GIFs whenever Hunter Pence is mentioned:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Can someone do the Pirates so I know if I can either have hope or be crushed by the despair that we are going to lose another bullshit wildcard game?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

It's also the fallacy of the pre-ordained outcome. It's become very, very clear that certain orgs are way better at building skills than the others.

To be fair, a lot of what Arizona has done well recently has more to do withhiring Josh Byrnes and Jerry DiPoto years ago than it does with anything else. In one draft, they scooped two of the best players in baseball.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

To be fair, a lot of what Arizona has done well recently has more to do withhiring Josh Byrnes and Jerry DiPoto years ago than it does with anything else. In one draft, they scooped two of the best players in baseball.

Yeah, I don't mean to say that Arizona are known for being able to turn guys around/really get them up to their ceilings, but a minor leaguer getting traded and floundering doesn't mean the guy was a bust to begin with.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

The Giants writeups were fantastic. My only suggestion is that we use one of the greatest baseball GIFs whenever Hunter Pence is mentioned:

The problem (not problem) with Hunter Pence is that there's like a million amazing pictures and gifs you can use.

Same with Cueto, actually. If we held on to Aoki we'd have the most giffable lineup in baseball.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Capt. Sticl posted:

he Arizona Diamondbacks, founded in 1998, play in the National League West.

Historically, they have 2 moments of glory:

(1)

Randy Johnson demolished a bird in a spring training game in 2001.

(2)
Later in 2001, I guess this also happened:

That's Luis Gonzalez hitting a bloop single off Mariano Rivera to win game 7 of the 2001 World Series!

To be honest, if my team's Spring Training had that first moment, you drat right I expect them to win the World Series that year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

I miss him so much :(

On the other hand, his trade tree leads to Colin Moran and Francis Martes

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The problem (not problem) with Hunter Pence is that there's like a million amazing pictures and gifs you can use.

<---
Also

I love my awkward RF

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hCMKA9GBU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

i read the title as Hunter's Hitler Youth

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

The (not your, not anybody's) 2016 Atlanta Braves

With a late push last year, the Braves managed to get comfortably over the .400 W/L% hump, and become only the worst Braves team since 1990, rather than the worst Braves team since 1988. Of course, in 1990, Atlanta was on the verge of an improbable World Series run and near-dynasty. The 2016 Braves are not.

The 2016 team is the last in Atlanta before the team moves a few miles north to whiter pastures in Cobb County, up to a new field with some lovely corporate tie-ins, far from the antiquated '90s-era shambles of Turner Field. As a final gently caress-you to the city (and, also, legitimately good franchise decision-making), the Braves have made sure their last season in town will be one of their worst, 162 games of mostly poo poo players keeping lineup and rotation spots warm for the immense wealth of talent to come. Let's meet some of them!

Manager Fredi Gonzales

The #Frediot hashtag is all too useful. Famous for going to SABR conventions, and then completely disregarding any possible thing he could learn there. Recent representative quote: "I know in the stat-geek world RBI is not a big number, but it sure is. Because you can have all the on-base percentage you want, if you don’t have somebody driving anybody in, you’re not going to score runs." Mediocre with the Marlins, unworthy beneficiary of the last flailing gasps of decent play from generations gone by, Fredi drat well better be gone by 2017 or the whole rebuild could go for naught. Thankfully it doesn't matter at all who manages the team this year.

Key Gains (major league only)
Ender Inciarte (CF)
Erick Aybar (SS)
Bud Norris (SP, oh god)
Jhoulys Chacin (SP, oh god)
Jim Johnson (RP)

Key Losses
Shelby Miller (SP)
Alex Wood (SP)
Mike Minor (SP)
Andrelton Simmons (SS)
Cameron Maybin (CF)

Catcher: A.J. Pierzynski

Had an unexpected resurgence last year, even being the most reliable run producer in a terrible lineup after Freeman's injury. Surely that is sustainable for a catcher in his age 39 season.

First Base: Freddie Freeman

One of two players the Braves didn't trade away, though not for lack of trying. If his wrist is healed, one of the better 1Bs in baseball. If not, then merely the best hugger in the sport.

Second Base: Jace Peterson / Gordon Beckham platoon

Shortstop: Erick Aybar

Not Andrelton Simmons. First suggestions Google Images made were "wife" and "teeth". If not traded by deadline day, something has gone horribly wrong.

Third Base: Adonis Garcia

Pros: named "Adonis." Very, very occasionally launches a ball into flight-path range.
Cons: everything else.

Left Field: Hector Olivera

Nobody knows much about him, least of all what the gently caress the Braves office was thinking when they traded for him, or what on earth they're doing converting him to the outfield. If he sucks this year they'll just have to cut their losses, he's 31 and won't get a single bit better from here. Fredi's idiot quote above was about Olivera, so that bodes well.

Center Field: Ender Inciarte

Hey, an actual major league-quality player! And will possibly get traded as a result. Till then, will hit leadoff and try to get to the many, many balls that Olivera won't.

Right Field: Nick Markakis

Odd acquisition last year, never got any power back after offseason neck surgery. Will be traded if and when he shows any power this year.

SP1: Julio Teheran

The other piece the Braves haven't traded yet; much more likely to go than Freeman. Brilliant when on but maddeningly inconsistent. Still only 25.

SP2: Bud Norris

gently caress, really? Reallly? Ugh. Maybe will bounce back to mediocrity. One of the least photogenic players in MLB, which is saying something; in a cursory search, this was the least stupid picture I could find. If he's at all decent, will be traded to some desperate team by midseason.

SP3: Matt Wisler

Might be better this year. Has this year and next to figure it out before one or another of the prospects pushes him out. Looks like the sort of guy more often seen going door to door and explaining how far away he has to stay from schools and playgrounds.

SP4: Jhoulys Chacin

Probably. Who really cares by this point. Also will be traded if at all serviceable.

SP5: Mike Foltynewicz

Potential to be decent and move up as those in front of him get traded/injured/shelled. Potential also to suck. If so, then he'll be replaced by someone else who might be decent, like Manny Banuelos, or someone who won't, like Williams Perez.

Closer: Jason Grilli

Pretty good till his Achilles injury. Already on the trading block; once he's gone, it'll be Jim Johnson here, after that Arodys Vizcaino or the resigned Eric O'Flaherty. Not that there will be many saves to get...

Bullpen:
Jim Johnson
Arodys Vizcaino
Eric O'Flaherty
Jose Ramirez
Daniel Winkler?
John Gant??

O'Flaherty begged to come back after sucking elsewhere. He and Vizcaino are the only ones likely to be around next year (barring another PED bust for the latter).

Bench:
Jace Peterson / Gordon Beckham platoon
Kelly Johnson
Tyler Flowers
Jeff Francoeur
One of Drew Stubbs / Michael Bourn / Emilio Bonifacio

The Braves have a good thing going in trading Kelly Johnson and then resigning him every year. Beyond that, it's badness of this team is encapsulated in Francoeur actually being one of the better options on the bench. Nick Swisher and his anchor contract got jettisoned thanks to a serious case of old. Bourn may follow but I'd rather keep him snce he can actually take a walk and steal a base if the other team forgets he's there. Stubbs was a desperation signing who may actually make the team; Bonifacio is loving dreadful and I don't know why they resigned him, much less for $1.25 million.

Prediction: 59-103 and just beating the Phillies into 5th place and draft slot #1.

Weirdly enough, I'm looking forward to it, it's nice to have no expectations whatsoever. Still, the two biggest days of the year will be international signing day (with Atlanta expected to blow $15-20 million or more) and day 1 of the draft.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wisler looks as if he's about to take out Queen Elizabeth

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wisler looks as if he's about to take out Queen Elizabeth

Every time I look at his picture up there, his eyes get wider.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I like Wisler and his potential, especially after being tutored by Glavine on a changeup, but he talks to himself when he's on the mound, and deep in my heart I know he's actively trying to talk himself out of murdering people. Boy got the crazy eyes.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

That catte picture gets me every time. :3:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Should the Indians be better this year? I feel like they acquired some power, and a full season of Lindor should help, but they didn't really address their mediocre bullpen.

I also love that cat picture. Freeman to CLE, plz.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

what team is going to be worse, Phillies or Barves?

divx
Aug 21, 2005

DOOP posted:

what team is going to be worse, Phillies or Barves?

Phillies have more talent close to the majors so they'll probably pull ahead of the Barves in the second half.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

That catte picture gets me every time. :3:

I want to cheer for every team that has a player that poses with their kitties.

Also the Jays because dingers will never stop being good fun baseball.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

divx posted:

Phillies have more talent close to the majors so they'll probably pull ahead of the Barves in the second half.

Yep. The Phillies' rebuild is coming to an end and if their high-upside guys (Franco, Nola, Crawford) develop they might well have a shot at a wild card next season, whereas the Braves are still in full-on rebuild mode and will most likely trade anyone and everyone who's had a good first half at the deadline.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No one did the Reds so here is a post about them before tomorrow! I am too lazy for pictures so I just listed players, slash lines, and their likelihood of being traded mid-season out of 10 using my proprietary TRADE FACTOR method. One of these players might be on your good team in July!

C: Devin Mesoraco - Supposedly healed from his hip injury last year so he will be starting as catcher. Although they were still reluctant to give him much workload this spring! Great! If he is healthy maybe he can OPS .900 again. TRADE FACTOR: 3 (still cheap and young but only has a couple more years of team control so who knows)
1B: Joey Votto (.314/.459/.541)- Joey Votto rules and had an OPS of exactly 1.000 last year because he has Social Anxiety. TRADE FACTOR: 0
2B: Brandon Phillips (.294/.328/.395) - Actually had a good year offensively last year and doesn't seem to be doing the MIF fall off a cliff thing in your mid-30s thing. Maybe this year! TRADE FACTOR: 4 (Has already been traded twice but really wants a contract extension to waive his rights)
SS: Zach Cozart (2014 .221/.268/.300) - Plus glove SS actually showed signs of being able to hit last year before blowing out his knee. TRADE FACTOR: 7 (Reds suddenly have a glut of MIF prospects and is a FA in 2018)
3B: Eugenio Suarez (.280/.315/.446 ) - Part of the Alfredo Simon trade with Detroit last year. Played surprisingly well replacing Cozart last year. No one seems to actually know if he can play 3B or not! TRADE FACTOR: 0 (FA 2021)
LF: Adam Duvall (.219/.306/.484)+ whatever - The Reds really don't have a left fielder so they are going to probably platoon a bunch of weirdos until Jesse Winkler is ready. TRADE FACTOR: 0
CF: Billy Hamilton (.226/.274/.289) - Billy is fast! Billy can't get on base ;_;. There was actually talk that he might not make the team which is always a great vote of confidence TRADE FACTOR: 1
RF: JAY BRUCE (.226/.294/.434) - I bet he hits better than this in 2016 because he really isn't a lovely hitter or anything. TRADE FACTOR: 8 (He was a prospect medical report from being traded during ST)

Bench:
C Tucker Barnhart
OF Scott Schebler
OF Tyler Holt
OF/IF/C Jordan Pacheco
IF Ivan De Jesus Jr.

I don't know who most of these guys are. Barnhart is a decent backup catcher and the Reds seem to like Schebler a lot (part of the Frazier trade from LA)

'Pitching' (IP/ERA/WHIP)
SP1: Raisel Iglesias (95.1/4.15/1.143) - Cuban IFA last year who actually turned out to be pretty loving decent TRADE FACTOR 0
SP2: Brandon Finnegan (23.2/4.18/1.225) - Oldest guy from the Cueto trade finally isn't stuck behind a million super arms.TRADE FACTOR 0
SP3: MYSTERY PITCHER (?/?/?) - The original SP1 Anthony DeSclafani is on the 15 day DL so some random guy from AAA who isn't important enough to worry about arb clock is going to pitch a game or two to start the year. No one actually knows who it will be. TRADE FACTOR ????
SP4: Alfredo 'Big Pasta' Simon (187.0/5.05/1.439) - Hey buddy, heard that you were cut for being loving awful in the middle of ST. You were inexplicably good for us once, so do you want to be plopped into our rotation? Great, sign here please. TRADE FACTOR 10 (He was literally signed in hopes of being respectable and flippable again)
SP5: DeSclafani (184.2/4.05/1.348) whenever he is off the DL - He sure has signs of being a pretty decent mid-rotation pitcher someday.

Bullpen
Cl: JJ Hoover (64.1/2.94/1.166) - He is pretty good and will make a lovely addition to your bullpen in July TRADE FACTOR 9 (Traded unless he sucks like he did in 2014)
P: Tony Cingrani (33.1/5.67/1.680) - He tends to throw only fastballs and they aren't really very fast usually TRADE FACTOR 2 (Team controlled arm, only moved if he is really good)
P: Ross Ohlendorf (19.1/4.94/1.448) - We signed Ross Ohlendorf? TRADE FACTOR 7 (See Simon, Alfredo)
P: Jumbo Diaz (60.1/4.18/1.260) - Fat guy throws baseball somewhat hard TRADE FACTOR 6 (Traded if he is decent, he is 31)
P: Blake Wood - I have no idea who these guys are
P: Caleb Cotham - I have no idea who these guys are
P: Dan Straily - I have no idea who these guys are
P: Keyvius Sampson - I have no idea who these guys are plus his name is hard to spell gently caress you

DL:
Homer Bailey: Should be back midseason from TJ
Michael Lorenzen: Fringe SP prospect that will probably get a rotation spot in a few weeks
Jon Moscot: Bullpen guy
John Lamb: Prospect SP from KC who will probably be in the rotation at some point. Might be pretty good!

HOT rear end PROSPECTS
IF: Jose Peraza - 2B prospect from the Dodgers that the Reds love to death but baseball writers seem lukewarm on. Starting in AAA to get ABs because Brandon Phillips won't waive his NTC.
SP: Robert Stephenson - He will probably be really good. September call up unless the Reds run out of lovely starters before then
SP: Cody Reed - Prospect from KC as part of the Cueto trade. Will probably be pretty good and in the rotation by the end of the year?
OF: Jesse Winkler - Top hitting prospect in the organization, might come up in September.

Expectations: The Reds will suck. Their pitching is super young and will certainly continue growing pains in a really good division. But with some luck (Bruce and Mesoraco play a lot and hit) they will maybe be pretty decent on offense. Lets say their record will be around 67-95.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goetta posted:

1B: Joey Votto (.314/.459/.541)- Joey Votto rules and had an OPS of exactly 1.000 last year because he has Social Anxiety. TRADE FACTOR: 0

You forgot

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Votto has been a giant goober all spring it is funny and weird

https://vine.co/v/iDH3VYZq7VB
https://vine.co/v/iDzOqw2tXL9

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Votto also has the best/weirdest BSOHL conversation:

Sarris: So this part is a little silly. Your speed score is up, you’re stealing some bases… you look… are your pants tighter?

Votto: Much tighter. I’ve lost like seven pounds.

Sarris: You looooook… different. You almost look like a soccer player or something?

Votto: That’s a compliment.

Sarris: It’s fit, but in a way that’s not necessarily what you think of when you think of baseball.

Votto: I was tired of wearing pajamas. I would look at guys and they’re wearing sweatpants and hoodies.

Sarris: Are we athletes or what?

Votto: I get it. People can wear what they want. But I prefer wearing it this way now. I just feel like I’m good. I’ve lost weight.

Sarris: Is that natural in-season weight loss?

Votto: No, offseason work and some changes to diet and lifestyle. I feel great. I feel really good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love Votto, he is my favourite non-Cub in baseball. I totally agree on the tight baseball pants too. I also wear slim fit pants when I play.

Votto rules.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What's the record for fewest wins in a 162 game season? Still the 62 Mets? because the Braves are gonna be gunning for it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What's the record for fewest wins in a 162 game season? Still the 62 Mets? because the Braves are gonna be gunning for it.

I'd agree with you if the Braves didn't have to play the rest of the NL East.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What is Kyle Seager saying in that gif?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Grem posted:

What is Kyle Seager saying in that gif?

"I'm fuckin' ready."

Google "Kyle Seager Jared Weaver" for some first class goading.

Edit : http://deadspin.com/kyle-seager-trolled-jered-weaver-into-getting-ejected-1731318062

Pretty sure some Seager broke 8-9 unwritten rules somehow, but drat it if it didn't work.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'm going to guess Weaver uncorked a fastball and that gif is Seager waiting for it to get to the plate.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

The (not your, not anybody's) 2016 Atlanta Braves

The brightest spot I'm counting on for the Braves is that Shae Simmons should be back this year and he is going to be death to batters. I don't really believe in Dansby Swanson but he has Brian Dozier level great hair.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If somebody else wants to write up a detailed explanation of the Brewers' transactions this off-season, feel free, but allow me to summarize the spirit of who the Brewers are this year:

The Brewers, once owned by illustrious MLB commissioner and used car salesman Bud Selig, are one of the few teams never to win a World Series title. Throughout history they've been known as a team that favored the power bat, but Selig always ran them like you'd expect a used car salesman to and while they showed flashes of brilliance through the years they were mostly structured to be profitable first, competitive by coincidence.

When Selig answered the call of the comish's office, Mark Attanasio, bought the team. Mark is probably most notable for for being related to a bunch of hollywood producer type people and genuinely really loving loving baseball. Mark Attanasio Actually Wants To Win. He hired Doug Melvin to be GM, and together they ran the team with a philosophy of Win Now Forever. While Attanasio's pockets are (supposedly) not as deep as other owners, year after year they ran the team in a way where they were always trying to fill the holes and make a run at it. His ownership saw the rises of players like Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy, but their approach to building a competitive roster around players like that has meant that you've had a lot of busts like Matt Garza, and they've traded away depth for rentals like CC Sabbathia who have carried the team into the playoffs better never quite gotten them to the big show.

Then 2014 happened. With a roster of mostly newbies and career AAAA guys putting up the performances of their lives, the Brewers had one of the most dominating first halfs in their club's history. I personally watched them sweet the Red Sox in their home opener. They went on to sweep the Phillies in their home opener too. They were the first team to 50 wins, and going into the all star break we foolishly forgot what our club was and had hope. We were rewarded by the biggest collapse imaginable. The Crew finished the season in 4th place in the NL Central.

The 2015 season opened with hope that the collapse was a fluke, or inexperience on the part of the younger players. Instead most of the core was plagued by injury and part way through the season manager Ron Roenicke was fired and replaced with Craig Counsell, a former Brewer on-field legend who had been working in the Milwaukee front office. While Craig proved to be way less stupid as a manager than Runnin' Ron, the team was still Really Bad and Doug Melvin was eventually shown the door. Mark Attanasio, a man who attends home games by sitting in the crowd amongst fans instead of in a private box, was forced to (possibly holding back tears) admit that the Brewers might not be able to compete in 2016 and welcome Actual 12-Year-Old Boy Genius David Stearns as the team's new GM.

Stearns' previous job was assisting the GM in Houston, a team that went from very bad to very good last year. The Brewers are hoping that his experience in a rebuilding organization can help the Crew do the same. He spent most of the off season trading away major league talent to build depth at all levels of the organization, and also took a few lottery tickets on major league players like Chris Carter, who could hit a million bombs or be very bad.

Lucroy and Braun have so far not been moved, but a lot of folks suspect that's coming if they can perform well in the beginning of the season to rebuild their value from a lackluster 2015 campaign where both struggled with injury.

So, why the gently caress should you root for the Brewers this year? If life shits on you all the time, or you're just a compulsive drinker, or if you pathologically like to do the opposite of what people want from you, WE ARE YOUR TEAM. In Milwaukee, you come to the game 4 hours early in a pickup truck full of beer, and then you keep drinking the beer inside the park. It costs like half what it does at most other parks. In Milwaukee, the seats behind home plate are the same size and made out of the same hard rear end plastic as the seats on the furthest back row. In Milwaukee, you're united by never expecting success but loving your god damned team anyway.

And now, for the first time in a while, our ragtag team of alcoholism-enablers seems to have an actual long-term plan. You'll get to watch a lot of young players who might not have had a chance at the majors in other markets attempt to break through in Milwaukee. It can be exciting to watch a guy like Scooter Gennett (who the gently caress is that?) show up and turn out to be OK at baseball. Get in now and you get to watch a team in the very beginning stages of starting all over. If players pan out, you may get to watch them play through a significant portion of their careers in Milwaukee, and they'll feel special to you because you saw them when they were just coming up from the Biloxi Shuckers.

Now, you're thinking, is this lady drunk right now? That post sure is rambly! NO! I just post like I'm drunk because I'm from Milwaukee and I am BRIMMING WITH EXCITEMENT because I love baseball and I love my god damned Milwaukee Brewers. Be like me and love every minute of baseball even when your team is the worst one in the whole world. The best expectations to have are NONE AT ALL!

With day 1 behind us, I can now give you a perfect example of why to watch a team like this. The Brewers were awful yesterday. Peralta showed a flash of brilliance in the first, but then fell apart, but there were bright spots.

Scooter Gennett, a left-handed 2B who has historically had a terrible platoon split hit a definitive homer of one of the league's premiere left handed starters, demonstrating a continuing trend of burgeoning power for the relatively small player and perhaps a growing ability to pick up on pitches from lhp.

We got to see some dazzling defense from veteran Aaron Hill, who we basically picked up to let AZ dump salary and enable us to get some prospects from them too. Braun, making his first start in LF since 2013, made a pretty good throw to cut down a runner trying to stretch a single into a double.

Overall, the game was miserable, but we did get to see some flashes of players who might be able to take a place on a better roster in the future. And true to form, Mark Attanasio was sitting in the middle of a general admission section, and kept cutting off his interview with the announcers to jump to his feet for exciting plays. He also committed straight up to this season being the lowest point for their payroll. He made it pretty clear he wants to spend more money once they know who to build around.

Also, my friends who went pregramed at 8am for their tailgate that started at 10am, drank all the way through the game, then had their DD bring the truck to the bar where they rented the kegs from where they continued to drink until about 11pm. Approximately 3 lovely bar pizzas were consumed.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Anyone else got a writeup to give before we get too deep into the season? Both my hometown teams have been covered, but I'd love to hear more about the others--in particular we're lacking a Pirates writeup!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Followup to my post: Eovaldi's first start was today and he was at 50+ pitches in the 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Followup to my post: Eovaldi's first start was today and he was at 50+ pitches in the 3rd.

Despite getting through the first in six pitches

• Locked thread