Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
yes, but make them plant and care for trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I'm for it. I feel it would eliminate the current hero worship of the military, and maybe some officers get fragged on the process.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

well then you might as well throw in everybody getting a pony and your daddy coming home.

what's the difference in what you call the scholarship?
if the money existed for the gi bill it would exist for the service bill

* I do not want ponies or zombies

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Why not give people the choice between military service or some other public service? That way you can have people learning different skills, serving the community, and maybe helping them understand other people around them. Doesn't even have to be at the expense of certain industries. Really couldn't hurt.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what would really tackle the obesity epidemic beyond strict regulation of what can be put into food and marketed to kids, as well as public fitness and wellness programs. Although, it's a major health crisis and something should be done about it.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
maybe not have a culture and country so depressing poor people would rather eat themselves to death than want to be healthy

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
we will never have compulsory service or a reinstatement of the draft because it would create a real anti-war movement. Our all-volunteer military is one of the main reasons that we can have perpetual pointless war

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

I'm for it. I feel it would eliminate the current hero worship of the military, and maybe some officers get fragged on the process.

It would not eliminate that, I think that it would make USA even more militaristic.

City of Tampa posted:

we will never have compulsory service or a reinstatement of the draft because it would create a real anti-war movement. Our all-volunteer military is one of the main reasons that we can have perpetual pointless war

Exactly. Conscripted armies aren't well suited for colonial wars. Israel can use its Army for colonial stuff, but only because they are oppressing their close neighbours, and because every Israeli knows that their Lebensraum would be more limited if they started to treat Palestinians as human beings.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I should not have access to firearms.

So tell me my man, are you nervous in the service??

Edgar posted:

I'm for a civilian worker Corp compulsory service. To fix the infrastructure and work on improvements both economical and environmental.

ya totally...:obama: dropped the ball on that on during his first 1-2yrs in office. of course it would have been opposed by conservatives like everything else but he never even tried. now our infrastructure has close to an additional +10yrs of rot and even rich white people gonna start getting killed esp in the northeast and rust belt where things are v. bad so maybe it will become a conservativ cause celebre like 9/11 was :911:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 27, 2016

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
The more Americans in the line of fire, the better. :smuggo:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Kasumeat posted:

The more Americans in the line of fire, the better. :smuggo:

i'm sorry americans made fun of you for getting mad in the hearthstone thread

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The military is already hamhanded, short-sighted, retarded and downright -bad- at being a military enough that if we did that I'm pretty sure it would literally be a zoo.

bong
Jan 30, 2015

by Shine
You guys are all borderline Nazis and it's appalling to me that you would think forcing people into any sort of military or state-oriented ""humanitarian"" work would be a good idea

bong
Jan 30, 2015

by Shine
What's next, a state-supported exercise and diet regimen?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Department of Swole

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe of a certain region.

bong
Jan 30, 2015

by Shine
I have an idea: a state-sponsored lottery where half the country's citizens get picked to be cops and the other half get picked to be robbers. The cops get police health insurance so that's basically socialized medicine, And well the robbers are all pathetic criminals and will die off eventually so it's not like they'll be a problem anymore? Anyone with me on this?

bong
Jan 30, 2015

by Shine
Actually I have an addition: the robbers also happen to be minorities

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
every man should be able to have a trade if they so desire and society benefits when we make that avenue as painless as possible to go down

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Hogge Wild posted:

It would not eliminate that, I think that it would make USA even more militaristic.

Just like how militaristic we became last time we had forced conscription

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i like when older people who never served decide that mandatory service will fix young peoples problems

personally i think every american should have to do a year in prison

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
everybody gets a ferrari

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
women get a lotus

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Laughing my rear end off thinking about a GBS Infantry Battalion.

Officer: "Now we are gonna rain hell on these insurgents and we're gonna do it to keep America safe!"

Pvt. Goon: :smuggo: "Keep America safe like why would I protect corporate imperialism and furthermore *is victim of friendly fire "accident"*"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Since America's black community is so underprivileged, perhaps we should make it so they get the benefits of compulsory service just to themselves. Maybe really do them a favor and make it permanent instead of just temporary.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

fires m16

*spins on hoverboard*

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

you shouldn't be allowed to graduate high school in america without shooting a brown person just to watch them die

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

Laughing my rear end off thinking about a GBS Infantry Battalion.

Officer: "Now we are gonna rain hell on these insurgents and we're gonna do it to keep America safe!"

Pvt. Goon: :smuggo: "Keep America safe like why would I protect corporate imperialism and furthermore *is victim of friendly fire "accident"*"

haha

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

Just like how militaristic we became last time we had forced conscription

Are you saying that the Americans in the 50s were less militaristic than today's people?

bong posted:

You guys are all borderline Nazis and it's appalling to me that you would think forcing people into any sort of military or state-oriented ""humanitarian"" work would be a good idea

The best part of conscription is that people like you get really butthurt because they have to get a haircut.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It's stupid if only for the reason that that is no way utilize an extra 6 million or so armed forces personnel or even afford to pay them if we did

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
What if there were a special hat that we could put on peoples head that would help sort them into different areas of service? Some sort of "sorting hat"? Just asking questions..

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tricky D posted:

It's stupid if only for the reason that that is no way utilize an extra 6 million or so armed forces personnel or even afford to pay them if we did

The trick is to not pay them. Conscripts aren't really treated as real human beings. Though you're right about America having no use for them.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Tricky D posted:

We could make them build a better internet so that I stop getting f**king lag killed!

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Hogge Wild posted:

The trick is to not pay them. Conscripts aren't really treated as real human beings. Though you're right about America having no use for them.

Not paying soldiers is a turbogood idea and historically has worked out very well for everyone who has done it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

bong posted:

What's next, a state-supported exercise and diet regimen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnxrCcQQv0
Why can't we do this anymore? If that makes me a Nazi, then Sieg Heil!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

Are you saying that the Americans in the 50s were less militaristic than today's people?

:ssh:
hes talking about vietnam

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
we should encourage the youth of america to wana be buff as hell no doubt tbh

bong
Jan 30, 2015

by Shine

Hogge Wild posted:

The best part of conscription is that people like you get really butthurt because they have to get a haircut.

Actually it's that they force eperoepl like you to do your laundry and wash your stinky rear end

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Ork of Fiction posted:

What if there were a special hat that we could put on peoples head that would help sort them into different areas of service? Some sort of "sorting hat"? Just asking questions..

All the worst people could be sorted into a group with a dumb name. Something like ah..."Hufflepuff."

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i support compulsory service at least insofar as i need a motherfuckin top off on this motherfuckin water over here god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

just bring me a compulsory carafe of the fuckin still poo poo son

• Locked thread