Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
compulsory service for what? to fly the drones? we don't need grunts anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

MiracleWhale posted:

i support compulsory service at least insofar as i need a motherfuckin top off on this motherfuckin water over here god drat it

agreed, compulsory service in an economic system that holds livelihood hostage in exchange for undervalued labor is the way to go.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MEIN FUHRER

I CAN WALK!

edit: https://youtu.be/KlIgcwG7pfE

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
everybody gets a 2 bedroom 2 bath 1 car garage home and a latin wife

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tricky D posted:

Not paying soldiers is a turbogood idea and historically has worked out very well for everyone who has done it.

Don't poo poo your pants, I was talking about the time that they are conscripted, and I've understood that most countries don't pay normal wages for their conscripts. I have absolutely no idea how much Israeli conscripts are paid, but Finnish conscripts get about enough to buy cigs (ie. much less than the minimum wage). Finnish reservists would get about 2000$ for a months service. I don't know if they'd get more during war.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

All the worst people could be sorted into a group with a dumb name. Something like ah..."Hufflepuff."

Simons! You're in first battalion!
Jones! Mechanized infantry!
Parker! Report to motor pool!
Franklin! You're Hufflepuff!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bong posted:

Actually it's that they force eperoepl like you to do your laundry and wash your stinky rear end

You got that backwards. You don't have to do your own laundry, and you aren't forced to wash your stinky rear end. Officially that is. One loving goony oval office that was serving at the same time didn't like showering and he smelt like there was an Indian burial ground in his rear end. We asked our one of our NCOs that can we force the stinker to shower and he said yes, and that this conversation didn't take place. We then made it clear to the fat poo poo that we're going to assault him if he doesn't shower and that did the trick.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

compulsory service for what? to fly the drones? we don't need grunts anymore

i dont think they would need to pay people for this. just make it a Xbone app, and give people gamer score for every confirmed kill. they will fly your drones for free

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Soylent Yellow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnxrCcQQv0
Why can't we do this anymore? If that makes me a Nazi, then Sieg Heil!

Stop oppressing my right to die at 30 from heart disease! :911:

ARE MY NUGGETS BEING DETAINED!?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Volcott posted:

An all-volunteer military is absurdly more effective than a bunch of conscripts.

No, it really isn't. Unless you're talking about literally 100% conscripts.

Conscription would be good for the military for discipline, because you could actually punish and get rid of people for more than just the worst things, which is hard to do when you don't have a steady stream of replacements; and for diluting the hard right wing attitude that pervades it; and for actually accomplishing poo poo because you'll have enough bodies instead of struggling to find creative new, and completely ineffective ways to do more with less.

It would not necessarily be better for the country though, or for the special snowflakes or people with no work ethic because the military doesn't instill those in people, it only distills that from people who already have it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I'm going to put OP into compulsory service if you know what I mean.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
everybody gets that button from the ashton kuchenr movie that gives you a million dollars but it instantly kills a french canadian

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The military is already hamhanded, short-sighted, retarded and downright -bad- at being a military enough that if we did that I'm pretty sure it would literally be a zoo.

"CONTACT! North one hundred... Oh wait that's a tree"
"Opening fire!"
"We need immediate air support at... This tree... How do I turn on the GPS?"
"Throwing frag!" (Drops grenade)
(Boom)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

when i think of the best and brightest our country has to offer, i think of our men and women in uniform

just to compare and contrast

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

My Q-Face posted:

Conscription would be good for the military for discipline, because you could actually punish and get rid of people for more than just the worst things, which is hard to do when you don't have a steady stream of replacements; and for diluting the hard right wing attitude that pervades it; and for actually accomplishing poo poo because you'll have enough bodies instead of struggling to find creative new, and completely ineffective ways to do more with less.

It would not necessarily be better for the country though, or for the special snowflakes or people with no work ethic because the military doesn't instill those in people, it only distills that from people who already have it.

The US, at least, already has a steady string of replacements and rejects roughly 80% of those who apply for service.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i agree that compulsory service would do a lot to provide americans with a healthy perspective on their country and what its service abroad means. however i doubt ISIL is prepared to handle 5 million recruits per year

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
im a compulsory masturbator

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

i agree that compulsory service would do a lot to provide americans with a healthy perspective on their country and what its service abroad means. however i doubt ISIL is prepared to handle 5 million recruits per year

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tricky D posted:

The US, at least, already has a steady string of replacements and rejects roughly 80% of those who apply for service.

Sure, now that the wars are over. Or did you miss where they were giving waivers to felons at the height of the mid-oughts and deploying units at <80% strength?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The military is already hamhanded, short-sighted, retarded and downright -bad- at being a military enough that if we did that I'm pretty sure it would literally be a zoo.

And our military is still better than the vast majority of militaries on the planet.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

Sure, now that the wars are over. Or did you miss where they were giving waivers to felons at the height of the mid-oughts and deploying units at <80% strength?

Also there's the issue of force reductions, fewer slots available and all of that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

My Q-Face posted:

Counterpoint: Vietnam.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Unironically pro compulsory service. In addition to the increased physical fitness and educational benefits you already mentioned, the common experience shared by all citizens would strengthen us as a community and also reduce the instance of "special snowflake syndrome" that is increasingly prevalent in our society.

lmao you loving oval office

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

My Q-Face posted:

Even still, I fail to see how morale and discipline would be improved by swelling the ranks of the military with people who are forced to be there against their will.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Volcott posted:

Counterpoint: Vietnam.

Counterpoint: WW2.

Other Counterpoint: Most draftees of the Vietnam era were sent to Europe and most of the people (2/3rds) sent to Vietnam were volunteers.

Other Counterpoint: only about 3 Million soldiers were ever sent to Vietnam, but about 9 Million people claim to be Vietnam Veterans who were in the poo poo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
It would actually degrade the quality of our military while costing much much more- see the stories of Russian motorized infantry brigades comprised of conscripts where one dude has to certify the whole battalion because he's the only one who knows how to drive the BTR-80s, and Chinese parade vehicles having broomsticks for guns because their ground forces are in shambles. Conscripted militaries are absolute loving shitshows and our military is dumb enough as it is.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

can someone remind me whether compulsory service was used in advance wars for the game boy virtual entertainment system advanced because i'm pretty sure what we witnessed on that compact disc was the future of war

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
There ain't no free loving Healthcare for vets wtf

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

boom boom boom posted:

Everybody would get access to the GI Bill. So everybody would have socialized medicine and free college.

lmao yeah im sure it would work this way

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tricky D posted:

Even still, I fail to see how morale and discipline would be improved by swelling the ranks of the military with people who are forced to be there against their will.

LOL, there are volunteers who act like they're forced to be there against their will, and there are volunteers who think that the act of volunteering was enough, they shouldn't actually have to do any actual work.

Discipline would be improved because punishments would be more swift and severe and leaders wouldn't have to waffle on what to do with the shitbags because they were more easily replaceable, especially in units that are only at 60-70% strength and can't afford to lose anybody.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

EX250 Type R posted:

There ain't no free loving Healthcare for vets wtf

the free healthcare is you die in the white man's wars and boom, your health problems disappear, just like that

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My Q-Face posted:

If we're talking about the US military, we have such a surplus of guys that we're firing them left and right and getting rid of them for reasons like "lol we sent this guy to Crippler for his knee surgery whoops they hosed him up for life Shocking".

The only thing the military distills is foxhole moonshine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MiracleWhale posted:

can someone remind me whether compulsory service was used in advance wars for the game boy virtual entertainment system advanced because i'm pretty sure what we witnessed on that compact disc was the future of war

the way cities are captured in advance wars implies that the armies are more of a press gang, like the mongol hords

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

My Q-Face posted:

sorry about your lots

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Rutibex posted:

the way cities are captured in advance wars implies that the armies are more of a press gang, like the mongol hords

is it too late to join the republican primary race because I think this is the platform that could stump the trump

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Dogthing posted:

how about this idea but instead of serving in the military you serve in a local or state public service corps where you build roads and schools and poo poo

compulsory military service is stupid, you abuse literally every new 18 year old for a couple months and then hand them a rifle and say wait for somebody to attack america for 2 years? what the gently caress does that accomplish other than wasting money and time and making us look like a bunch of idiots

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
where's the short-term profit in that plan?

war with Iran. now theres a lucrative venture

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

My Q-Face posted:

LOL, there are volunteers who act like they're forced to be there against their will, and there are volunteers who think that the act of volunteering was enough, they shouldn't actually have to do any actual work.

Discipline would be improved because punishments would be more swift and severe and leaders wouldn't have to waffle on what to do with the shitbags because they were more easily replaceable, especially in units that are only at 60-70% strength and can't afford to lose anybody.

So, if it were easy as hell to discharge all the shitbags, what motivation would there be to not be a shitbag if you were conscripted?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tricky D posted:

So, if it were easy as hell to discharge all the shitbags, what motivation would there be to not be a shitbag if you were conscripted?

For the non-shitbags, starting off in life with two years of work experience is a good thing.

Discharge isn't the only punishment.

Dishonorable discharges used to mean something besides just a loss of VA benefits.

It also means a lot more if more people on the outside are aware of it from having served or known someone who served personally.

And finally, if getting discharged for being a shitbag was an agreeable alternative, why didn't more people do it during WW2 when 2/3rds of the forces deployed to Europe and the Pacific were drafted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

For the non-shitbags, starting off in life with two years of work experience is a good thing.
I'm going to steal this for my child labor argument.

• Locked thread