Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

Rando posted:

A lot of people here are ignorant of the mechanics of basic human butt function. I just wanted to let people know that.

You could make a poll thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just want to say i really like how gbs is right now, it reminds me of the very beginning of gbs 2.1 where people were doing all sorts of threads and didn't fell into the same type of posting, but even better

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

PBS Newshour posted:

i just want to say i really like how gbs is right now, it reminds me of the very beginning of gbs 2.1 where people were doing all sorts of threads and didn't fell into the same type of posting, but even better

GBS has been good lately. I see a lot of new posters popping up which is good.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

BirryJoru posted:

I'm back, baby!

There's no place like home.

Welcommen

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

SilkyP posted:

Stirring words of wisdom.

Back when I signed up SA was unique, and even a haven of sorts from the terrible websites that abounded because you had to pay to join the forums (uncommon at the time), grammar, spelling and punctuation were required and the rules were strictly enforced. It was also very, very funny and borderline illegal in some ways. You could get reprimanded for not being funny, interesting or being a dipshit.

Years later, I hated GBS 2.0, and the low content, low effort posting it brought and how readily anyone who tried to make a decent post or thread was shat upon until they were run out of the site. And god help you if you disclosed you were a woman. SA is a funny place, but drat there are some creepy people here and I know a lot of people, old friends and acquaintances mostly, who won't post here because of how harassing and threatening it has become.

In short, SA devolved into the type of terrible website that people like myself came here to avoid.

The changing times, and technologies also create financial problems for SA. In order to keep the site running, you need income, and you get income directly or indirectly from users who come here for content. Content is generated often for free by the user base. To protect that income stream, you have to protect your user base and encourage and develop interesting, funny and worthwhile content that will make people come back, be involved and spend money.

Another wrinkle is that at least some of the income streams on SA are predicated on user interactions (avatars, Plat, etc.) at a time when people don't interact with each other. You have to create a sense of community and foster interactions, and I think that requires creative and novel thinking.

Aug 4, 2010

Kumo posted:

I know a lot of people, old friends and acquaintances mostly, who won't post here because of how harassing and threatening it has become.

man up

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bubblebee posted:

You could make a poll thread.

Think I should?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Grammar, spelling, and punctuation are what separate my favorite websites from those other kinds of websites...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

www posted:

man up

Also this

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Kumo posted:

Back when I signed up SA was unique, and even a haven of sorts from the terrible websites that abounded because you had to pay to join the forums (uncommon at the time), grammar, spelling and punctuation were required and the rules were strictly enforced. It was also very, very funny and borderline illegal in some ways. You could get reprimanded for not being funny, interesting or being a dipshit.

Years later, I hated GBS 2.0, and the low content, low effort posting it brought and how readily anyone who tried to make a decent post or thread was shat upon until they were run out of the site. And god help you if you disclosed you were a woman. SA is a funny place, but drat there are some creepy people here and I know a lot of people, old friends and acquaintances mostly, who won't post here because of how harassing and threatening it has become.

In short, SA devolved into the type of terrible website that people like myself came here to avoid.

The changing times, and technologies also create financial problems for SA. In order to keep the site running, you need income, and you get income directly or indirectly from users who come here for content. Content is generated often for free by the user base. To protect that income stream, you have to protect your user base and encourage and develop interesting, funny and worthwhile content that will make people come back, be involved and spend money.

Another wrinkle is that at least some of the income streams on SA are predicated on user interactions (avatars, Plat, etc.) at a time when people don't interact with each other. You have to create a sense of community and foster interactions, and I think that requires creative and novel thinking.

:regd04:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ATTN: the ignorant, the unwise and the discouraged

I know exactly how you "save the site" or "make it worth a return visit" or "make it relevant on today's internet" or whatever. It's remedial school, special ed class, retard simple.

There is exactly one thing an old fashioned bulletin board style web site like the SA forums does better than poo poo like face book or twitter or whatever else, and that is carrying on a long conversation. Long as in length and long as in duration.

People try to have in depth discussions on face book but it is frustrating and always futile because the site is designed to keep new posts coming in a fast and endless ticker tape style.and sweep old stuff quickly away.

And you can't carry a conversation on Twitter at all.

So, yeah, suck a cock to all the lazy posters around here that think an op larger than one short paragraph's worth of words is too much to read while also giving a big fat gently caress-that-noise to the thought of ever posting that many words themselves.

Encourage one of these styles of communication. Drive the other into exile.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kumo posted:

You are full of poo poo.

No good threads were shat upon, but now people were able to tell when someone's threads were bad. I read 2013 archives a while back and the people who make D&D a shithole today were the same people who made GBS poo poo back then. Yes, I would love to read this week's 500+ page thread about gun cuntrol on this comedy site. And the moderation team of this site had some real characters in 2013. Also, I've also never seen you make a funny thread, or even a good post, so how can you tell other people how they should post? And people are buying avs for themselves and other people all the time, how about you take a look at Baron's Av thread where he makes free avs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770140 you dipshit. The best thing you could do to this community would be to log out and never come back.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

Another wrinkle is that at least some of the income streams on SA are predicated on user interactions (avatars, Plat, etc.) at a time when people don't interact with each other. You have to create a sense of community and foster interactions, and I think that requires creative and novel think
If you make a good seriouspost/megathread people will participate with/in it. It's not some conspiracy where elves are letting pigs into your garden every night to ruin your gladiolas. I've got a big dumb sardine thread that people post in a lot, we've got a China thread that forecasts how the internet will talk about China months before it does, etc. Post better and consider looking at your idea of what constitutes creativity because it's really limited right now -- following the instructions that come with your Lego set to make the thing pictured on the box isn't creative.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

You are full of poo poo.

No good threads were shat upon, but now people were able to tell when someone's threads were bad. I read 2013 archives a while back and the people who make D&D a shithole today were the same people who made GBS poo poo back then. Yes, I would love to read this week's 500+ page thread about gun cuntrol on this comedy site. And the moderation team of this site had some real characters in 2013. Also, I've also never seen you make a funny thread, or even a good post, so how can you tell other people how they should post? And people are buying avs for themselves and other people all the time, how about you take a look at Baron's Av thread where he makes free avs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770140 you dipshit. The best thing you could do to this community would be to log out and never come back.

There's no need for this. Okay?

I'm expressing an opinion, and you're being insulting. If you disagree, hey that's fair but calling me a dipshit, saying I'm full of poo poo, log out and never come back, I've never made a good thread or post etc., (I think I got them all right?) that just really serves to prove my point.

You're not offering much in the way of a dissenting opinion, you're just being rude.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You are very sensitive about what you consider to be the "ideal" type of posting but that's just like, your opinion man

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

I'm expressing an opinion, and you're being insulting. If you disagree, hey that's fair but calling me a dipshit, saying I'm full of poo poo, log out and never come back, I've never made a good thread or post etc., (I think I got them all right?) that just really serves to prove my point.

You're not offering much in the way of a dissenting opinion, you're just being rude.

make a funny post or thread

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

make a funny post or thread

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kumo posted:

you're wrong. last year in the height of threadshittery I ran two obscenely high-effort threads that attracted one or two mild shitposts per thread. One of them started on one side of the Rowdy Trout and ended on the other.

E: i mentioned the Rowdy Trout because things got pretty rowdy in the old Geeb

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i liked GBS more when I wasn't so terrified id be banned :ohdear:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Of all of the people who complain about GBS being unfunny only Gom has ever made any funny posts himself. All of the rest have been unfunny people who can only complain about grammar and punctuation.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rando posted:

I know exactly how you "save the site" or "make it worth a return visit" or "make it relevant on today's internet" or whatever. It's remedial school, special ed class, retard simple.

There is exactly one thing an old fashioned bulletin board style web site like the SA forums does better than poo poo like face book or twitter or whatever else, and that is carrying on a long conversation. Long as in length and long as in duration.

People try to have in depth discussions on face book but it is frustrating and always futile because the site is designed to keep new posts coming in a fast and endless ticker tape style.and sweep old stuff quickly away.

And you can't carry a conversation on Twitter at all.

So, yeah, suck a cock to all the lazy posters around here that think an op larger than one short paragraph's worth of words is too much to read while also giving a big fat gently caress-that-noise to the thought of ever posting that many words themselves.

Encourage one of these styles of communication. Drive the other into exile.

If you post several paragraphs of text and people make fun of you and tell you your post is bad that doesn't mean that those people are wrong. It's hard to make longer content worth reading but that doesn't mean we should safespace content that isn't worth reading. We're all Internet veterans on here -- predictable Photoshops or some news article that rankles the obvious pet concerns of 30 year old computer janitors isn't content any more.

For years GBS was the equivalent of being seated at a family dinner with Uncle Dave, where Uncle Dave was retreading the same bullshit yet again in his usual bland on the rails way, shooting angry glares at anyone who interrupted him with a joke. If you're Uncle Dave you're not going to like it when you're not allowed to monopolize or dictate the conversation any more. You're not going to like actually having to be interesting to get people to express interest.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

JakeP posted:

i liked GBS more when I wasn't so terrified id be banned :ohdear:

That's a good point, but I think there was an element of self-policing and restraint that went in to posts and threads when people were worried about bans. I guess it can be a fine line to walk.

Like the rules say:

quote:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

Like the rules say:
Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

do you follow this rule?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

If you haven't found this out in your life yet let me suggest that when you're among peers telling people how they're to talk to you often doesn't work out real well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

do you follow this rule?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

do you follow this rule?

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

dad gay. so what posted:

do you follow this rule?

Yeah I try to. Do you?

You certainly post a lot, you fyad-lite GBS forum superstar, and the quantity doesn't capture a lot of quality in my thinking. But I guess you need this as an outlet in your life.

I mean what else you got going on?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

Yeah I try to. Do you?

You certainly post a lot, you fyad-lite GBS forum superstar, and the quantity doesn't capture a lot of quality in my thinking. But I guess you need this as an outlet in your life.

I mean what else you got going on?

gbs is my video game

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
meee YOWZA

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
or my vending machine, if you will

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

do you follow this rule?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
we all have our private demons, but yours appear to be very boring and lame

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you post several paragraphs of text and people make fun of you and tell you your post is bad that doesn't mean that those people are wrong. It's hard to make longer content worth reading but that doesn't mean we should safespace content that isn't worth reading.

I absolutely agree. Don't get me wrong. I do not advocate anything like an A for Effort mentality.

Straining on the bowel for half an hour before the turd drops still only produces a turd.

Back Up Non-Poop Related Metaphor:

Just because you planted a flower bed only meant for one type of flower doesn't mean every sickly sprout gets to live.

Aug 4, 2010

Rando posted:

u got my attention

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

www posted:

u got my attention

How's it going?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Hogge Wild posted:

You are full of poo poo.

I don't know, I'm not convinced someone has to be a great/funny/genius poster to be able to critique and weigh on if the quality of the threads has gotten worse or not. I go to stand up comedy shows even though I couldn't be a comedian and I'm pretty sure I can still comment on the quality.
I myself am not a creative or funny poster and in fact have lately been a pretty lovely poster but that's because I am weak and stupid but that doesn't mean I can't encourage the smart funny people out there to let their creative juices flow. I'm not demanding it, and I certainly don't deserve it, it would just be awesome imho.

Also when people refer back to great ages in GBS/SA history they are usually going back further than 2013.

I do feel like political poo poo or poo poo that is obviously going to turn political isn't entertaining and isn't the kind of poo poo that draws or has ever drawn anyone to the forums so I'm glad there is at least a stated place for those kinds of topics even if it is a toxic dump.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

dad gay. so what posted:

we all have our private demons, but yours appear to be very boring and lame

Well thank god I have your censure. I would have to seriously re-examine every facet of my life otherwise.

Off to make a thread about pooping, ta ya'll.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kumo posted:

Well thank god I have your censure. I would have to seriously re-examine every facet of my life otherwise.

Off to make a thread about pooping, ta ya'll.

peace out, fuckface!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

peace out, fuckface!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

peace out, fuckface!

• Locked thread