Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i move that shaquin is loving crushing it today, can i get a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

flerp posted:

ambien that it is a good av

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sure thing, I'll just reach into my rear end and...

hey

there's $5 back here

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

lol i guess you got two tips

probably more, it's all loose change

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

8 track betamax posted:

Make it so everyday we vote on what the background color of GBS is.

puce

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i don't know about supernatural and paranormal but if a certain gay dad doesn't hurry up with a scroll thread i will bury him

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kumo posted:

Back when I signed up SA was unique, and even a haven of sorts from the terrible websites that abounded because you had to pay to join the forums (uncommon at the time), grammar, spelling and punctuation were required and the rules were strictly enforced. It was also very, very funny and borderline illegal in some ways. You could get reprimanded for not being funny, interesting or being a dipshit.

Years later, I hated GBS 2.0, and the low content, low effort posting it brought and how readily anyone who tried to make a decent post or thread was shat upon until they were run out of the site. And god help you if you disclosed you were a woman. SA is a funny place, but drat there are some creepy people here and I know a lot of people, old friends and acquaintances mostly, who won't post here because of how harassing and threatening it has become.

In short, SA devolved into the type of terrible website that people like myself came here to avoid.

The changing times, and technologies also create financial problems for SA. In order to keep the site running, you need income, and you get income directly or indirectly from users who come here for content. Content is generated often for free by the user base. To protect that income stream, you have to protect your user base and encourage and develop interesting, funny and worthwhile content that will make people come back, be involved and spend money.

Another wrinkle is that at least some of the income streams on SA are predicated on user interactions (avatars, Plat, etc.) at a time when people don't interact with each other. You have to create a sense of community and foster interactions, and I think that requires creative and novel thinking.

you're wrong. last year in the height of threadshittery I ran two obscenely high-effort threads that attracted one or two mild shitposts per thread. One of them started on one side of the Rowdy Trout and ended on the other.

E: i mentioned the Rowdy Trout because things got pretty rowdy in the old Geeb

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

peace out, fuckface!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lolie posted:

People forget that it's a business which exists to make a profit and want to turn it into their personal social club. They're too lazy to create their own forum where they can write the perfect set of rules because effort.

yes that's exactly why i don't agree with everything that happens here. i'm lazy. thank you for clearing that up for me, i'll go work on myself a bit and come back a better person.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I like to keep a ratio between good posts and horrible posts, what's going to happen to me? If every post is an effort post then things get pretty weird

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Isaac posted:

Calm down

no isaac i'm inconsolable

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

You calm down. Where's my $8000?

Unrelated, but how can we monetize the site so GBS Superstars get monetary compensation? Effort posts (and even millions of shitposts) take time.
I mean, Pie-in-the-Sky level thinking here, but automation's gonna be taking over every last job leaving comedy and art for last, so the sooner SomethingAwful can develop the world's first Arts-based currency, the sooner we can survive the complete and inevitable collapse of capitalist society. :usa: :911:

nah dino there's no point. my CYOAs (which might not be the best example of an actually good thread but definitely count as effort) would cost so much to produce if I wasn't doing them for fun that any monetary compensation would just cheapen the whole thing for me. sometimes i get sent something fun for making a Good Thread and that's enough for me

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Captain Yossarian posted:

Whoa rude. Apple white is a hunk

can confirm

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

draw a self portrait applewhite

if a man says he's a hunk, then he's a hunk, HW

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

to the death!

WHERE IS THE SCROLL THREAD YOU GOLDBRICK

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

she posted in LadyThread about taking a break from the forums expressly because of this thread and I'm still not sure what happened lol :shrug:

this thread wasn't that salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Putty posted:

i really just want a hamburger right now

same

• Locked thread