Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Thanks for making a new Townhouse thread :).

I'd like to make a motion to give Professor Shark back his moderation powers for a few hours so that he could use his new probation gif that Saint Isaiahs Boner made for him. It's really drat great.

I was also wondering why this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769945 was gassed. I thought that it had potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Drunk & Ugly posted:

So anyway what's this thread about

It's supposed to be a place for the common forum citizens to discuss forums stuff with the GBS moderation team and with each other. Yes, there's QCS, but this is in my opinion a better way to do it.

Here's the last thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762325

Does anyone have the link to the first thread? I think that it would be good if they were added to the op.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 27, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gatekeeper posted:

there are like a million.different hindu deities. I think a thread where everyone gets to pick their own personal/family deity and teach everyone else about the deity and we can all eat veggies and talk about how cool it is to have a bunch of arms or a big elephant head, man, that would just be so cool

we can learn meditating and how mantras make you peaceful and mellow and very chill, and say namaste unironically

we can learn yoga moves together

otherwise I want to make a magic thread where we all open up.our spellbound and share our favorite spells/potions/psych hospitals

Well, why don't you make those threads?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gatekeeper posted:

i thought it was polite to ask the community first :( a lil feedback from my buds would help make a good thread, sometimes my thought processes are disorganized and erratic and helpful suggestions from you and other good posters would be appreciated

upon further reflection hinduchat might be better in byob because of its intrinsic chillness (oppressive caste system aside :smith:) but magicktalk is good for gbs since the ptb (powers that be) won't reopen the paranatural subforum where magick could be discussed alongside ghost orbs and skellies.

do enough people have spellbooks/magick tools/brain potions/professional alchemical pharmacists/etc to be down for such a thread, you think? I meAn there are so many spells and magickal creatures and good books/movies* that we could discuss them forever but I know these days a lot of people like channeling their chi into video games instead of the occult. and there aren't a lot of obese lesbians here either and the internet tells us that they often are blessed with wiccan powers. suggestions from the town???

*NOT harry potter )^=<

I think that you're overthinking about making GBS threads. All my gold rated threads have been done without planning. I follow a slightly modified advise that a crusader once said "Post them all, and let the Mods sort them out". It's the Zen way of posting. Don't plan your threads, but when you do post, post completely.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I won the Iditarod thread and received nothing

post your dogs

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shaquin posted:

you seem to be operating under the illusion that the disdain for these threads is in the content and not instead the almost universally mediocre looking goons about to open an irony portal to hell by posting inside it

that poster loves to gently caress ponies and I wish that he would also get permabanned like his friend did

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Digital Fingers posted:

jesus you've been posting real good today

agreed

I wasn't aware of him until like a few days ago, but I'm really starting to like him

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i move that shaquin is loving crushing it today, can i get a second

Seconded

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Isaac posted:

Can someone ban jastiger from the lady thread i find it very interesting to read and dont want iowa posting

I make a motion that he's banned from the forums altogether.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

gbs could probably use a thread where we post gimmick ideas for new posters who want to stand out from the crowd

You are allowed to make that thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
LadyAmbien, what are the restrictions for the mod/admin symbols? We could have a thread for making those.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PBS Newshour posted:

is this where i make my complaints about my toothbrush erotica being gas chambered?

Yes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

the goldmined thread one looks wrong to me(really?? that few people have more than one goldmined thread???) but i think this one works, or at least the rankings make a lot of sense prima facie

Nope, those numbers have stayed the same for at least a few months. Iirc Zen Death Robot knows about it, but it's very far from the top of the to-do list.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Zombie Boat posted:

We need more Satan

I was thinking about making a Satan thread on 2016.6.6.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kumo posted:

Back when I signed up SA was unique, and even a haven of sorts from the terrible websites that abounded because you had to pay to join the forums (uncommon at the time), grammar, spelling and punctuation were required and the rules were strictly enforced. It was also very, very funny and borderline illegal in some ways. You could get reprimanded for not being funny, interesting or being a dipshit.

Years later, I hated GBS 2.0, and the low content, low effort posting it brought and how readily anyone who tried to make a decent post or thread was shat upon until they were run out of the site. And god help you if you disclosed you were a woman. SA is a funny place, but drat there are some creepy people here and I know a lot of people, old friends and acquaintances mostly, who won't post here because of how harassing and threatening it has become.

In short, SA devolved into the type of terrible website that people like myself came here to avoid.

The changing times, and technologies also create financial problems for SA. In order to keep the site running, you need income, and you get income directly or indirectly from users who come here for content. Content is generated often for free by the user base. To protect that income stream, you have to protect your user base and encourage and develop interesting, funny and worthwhile content that will make people come back, be involved and spend money.

Another wrinkle is that at least some of the income streams on SA are predicated on user interactions (avatars, Plat, etc.) at a time when people don't interact with each other. You have to create a sense of community and foster interactions, and I think that requires creative and novel thinking.

You are full of poo poo.

No good threads were shat upon, but now people were able to tell when someone's threads were bad. I read 2013 archives a while back and the people who make D&D a shithole today were the same people who made GBS poo poo back then. Yes, I would love to read this week's 500+ page thread about gun cuntrol on this comedy site. And the moderation team of this site had some real characters in 2013. Also, I've also never seen you make a funny thread, or even a good post, so how can you tell other people how they should post? And people are buying avs for themselves and other people all the time, how about you take a look at Baron's Av thread where he makes free avs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770140 you dipshit. The best thing you could do to this community would be to log out and never come back.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

make a funny post or thread

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Of all of the people who complain about GBS being unfunny only Gom has ever made any funny posts himself. All of the rest have been unfunny people who can only complain about grammar and punctuation.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

do you follow this rule?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dad gay. so what posted:

peace out, fuckface!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LadyAmbien posted:

He literally came into the bedroom and said, "you're a mod of GBS now." And I said, "Bb..but, I didn't ask for this." and he laughed and said, "good luck." and left.

This is also how he made Applewhite a mod.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Putty posted:

ty for making gnarlyhotep go away btw he was a really hot nice man

He still is.

zen death robot posted:

That wasn't because of rules

That was because LF broke a lot of peoples brains on this site

Booblord Zagats posted:

And a lot of them still haven't been fixed

This is my take on it too. The rules have been the same for ages, the difference is how they are enforced. The more-politically-correct-than-thou people ruined this site for a few years.

LadyAmbien posted:

Okay - so what I've just witnessed here is a bunch of GBS regulars chasing someone out of a GBS thread in which constructive criticism is supposed to be encouraged. Not only that, but you all did so in an aggressive way simply because you did not agree with his/her opinion. This poo poo has to stop.

You are going to kill the community if you keep being complete dickheads to anyone who shows up and has a different opinion than yours. It's fine to disagree, it's fine to not like this persons post - but you don't need to make it personal. I honestly don't even know what to do at this point other than start handing out probations. I want this to be a place where people can express their opinions without it being too hugboxxy, but also without fear of being poo poo on by the loudest posters, and it is a theme that I'm seeing time and time again from people who used to post but stopped because of this behaviour, or who are now starting to post and being chased off by it.

LadyAmbien posted:

I also enjoy the irreverent humour, and ribbing, especially when it's between posters who know each other. I just don't know how to find the balance between having some valid conversation and being able to gently caress around and be silly.

I don't really care about the popular opinion of what GBS is or isn't, I'm moreso coming from a place where I've been receiving some really positive feedback from members who are just now returning to GBS or starting to contribute saying that they are glad that there's a bit more variety in what is being posted now. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask regular posters to cool it on the "gently caress you op" stuff, just as I don't think it's unreasonable that people also be allowed some space in GBS to shitpost.

Yes, he made me the ceo. :smugjones:

LadyAmbien posted:

I have no interest in trying to go back to GBS 1.0. None. I don't know why people are getting this idea - I think it's been pretty tame around here compared to the first set of rules and bans that result from them. As far as talking to Lowtax about it, I have and he says I'm being too lenient, so I don't know. I don't give a poo poo if you tease someone in a regular thread, but coming into one that is made for suggestions and launching a personal attack on them because you don't agree is non-productive and derails the thread.

I'm never going to please everyone being a mod, but I'm pretty stoked on how the 1st page has looked during the last week as far as a balance between shitposts and legit ones, and would like to see it continue that way.

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm not opposed to less shitposting but the thing kumo posted is really alarming. you've been around forever and you remember how bad the sjw/hellbastard/advent calendar version of gbs was.

Nation posted:

The thing is Lady A all those points everyone rallied against is like a tabloid opinion piece that barely has an ounce of fact to it but gets repeated and somehow the claim we must make SA a republic again, gbs delenda est etc etc - especially the claim that good threads get poo poo all over, it's really the opposite where good threads have always somehow managed to bust through the bullshit and the big rule has always been don't poo poo up potentially good threads.

It was a very aggressive attack though, i don't think i can be mean like that i dunno maybe if they hurt a small animal or something i would lash out with tears in my eyes.

The reason I called Kumo names was because he was making stuff up, and trying to make GBS what it was in the bad days. Nothing he said has happened, but he, Franco and many other people keep on repeating those things. But from now on I won't call those peoples names in this thread.

And for what it's worth, I think that you LadyAmbien have done a good work with GBS. This forum is really great right now.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tendai posted:

I, personally, would like to see more of the toothbrush saga.

Same.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

the supernatural/paranormal thread is not going well.

i think that its a cool thread

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

pics

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
draw a self portrait applewhite

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

if a man says he's a hunk, then he's a hunk, HW

I don't doubt it at all, I just want to see the evidence.

edit:

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

here's a self portrait of me for you jackanapes to go gaga over

:swoon:

• Locked thread