Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Well, heck, let's celebrate May 4th by re-watching that one time crow and I played the Suprosa mission on X-Wing Alliance. XWA is like planes, right? Space planes? Space Ace Combat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCH-8nOWw8

I really should have baldurk update the XWA chapter of The SotE LP on the Archive because all that stuff I said about how the LucasArts Star Wars games would probably never see a digital release has been proven hilariously wrong in the last 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
leave it as a monument to all your gaming sins

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I still can't tell if you actually like Dash Rendar, or actively despise him; at this point, I'm not even sure if you know either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

I still can't tell if you actually like Dash Rendar, or actively despise him; at this point, I'm not even sure if you know either.

It's a love/hate relationship.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's complicated.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I sort of wondered why this thread wasn't moving as fast as the other one but didn't have time to look until recently. I'm glad you're on the mend. Take your time and don't rush this poo poo for our sake.

Out of curiousity, what was the breakthrough in 3ds emulation? I've not seen anything concrete in a little bit

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The Citra developers actually posted a tutorial for people who own a 3DS and a game to 'dump' the game to make it playable on their emulator because they are the kinds of nimrods who fear getting stepped on by The Man so they opted for this backwards fan-DRM method instead of simply allowing ISOs. I said to Crow if he dumped Assault Horizon Legacy at some point, and if the emulator even works decently, I'd play it for him to get supplemental footage.

I know that first part doesn't seem very concrete but I'd imagine with how much time they had to develop this it's gotten somewhere playable and also maybe works, but the only people who can even contribute or playtest are ones who follow their mandate, which I'm certain leads to a very small amount of people contributing at all.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Indeed. The only barrier to me doing AHL myself is that apparently ROM dumping a 3DS game only works with the New 3DS, and I only have the old one and I'm not in a hurry to run out and buy another one.

That said, I am in "negotiations" with Trizophenie to maybe have him take a crack at doing AHL+, as he's got it working on his end. I'm not promising anything, but a proper Legacy LP is looking more like "probably maybe" at the moment than "don't hold your breath" like it was a mere month and a half ago.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. The only barrier to me doing AHL myself is that apparently ROM dumping a 3DS game only works with the New 3DS, and I only have the old one and I'm not in a hurry to run out and buy another one.

Nintendon't

:tizzy:

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.
ROM dumping works with any homebrewed 3DS, old or new, but that's probably not for here.
Currently unlocking all the missions, and then I can get started on recording AHL+. Expect many Nintendo themed paintjobs.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lunethex posted:

The Citra developers actually posted a tutorial for people who own a 3DS and a game to 'dump' the game to make it playable on their emulator because they are the kinds of nimrods who fear getting stepped on by The Man so they opted for this backwards fan-DRM method instead of simply allowing ISOs. I said to Crow if he dumped Assault Horizon Legacy at some point, and if the emulator even works decently, I'd play it for him to get supplemental footage.

I know that first part doesn't seem very concrete but I'd imagine with how much time they had to develop this it's gotten somewhere playable and also maybe works, but the only people who can even contribute or playtest are ones who follow their mandate, which I'm certain leads to a very small amount of people contributing at all.

So Citra are going down the same route that the jcPSP devs went down.

Hopefully the people who made PPSSPP do to them, what they did to jcPSP :sigh:

I have a new3dsxl, but it's not homebrewed otherwise I'd look at dumping the rom for you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tithin posted:

So Citra are going down the same route that the jcPSP devs went down.

Hopefully the people who made PPSSPP do to them, what they did to jcPSP :sigh:

I have a new3dsxl, but it's not homebrewed otherwise I'd look at dumping the rom for you.

Well, for the record, I've done a trail run of Ace Combat X on PPSSPP and it works pretty much flawlessly, so that's what I'm going to be using once we get to Skies of Deception.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh hey, a good game.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
My involvement in this series is pretty limited, but I very much enjoyed the PS2 games. My teen years were kinda spent 'growing up' with 4, and I picked up 5 and 0 much later. They're pretty rad games. Never played 6, however, and Assault Horizon was frustrating and I never bothered to play that far into it.

So, I've never really seen much of anything earlier. I am noticing that it's a lot more campey than the slightly more serious take on the flying part of the later entries.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lunethex posted:

The Citra developers actually posted a tutorial for people who own a 3DS and a game to 'dump' the game to make it playable on their emulator because they are the kinds of nimrods who fear getting stepped on by The Man so they opted for this backwards fan-DRM method instead of simply allowing ISOs.
This may surprise you, but most people don't want their hobbies to become illegal. Also, you can't make disc images of flash cards. Because they aren't discs. You moron.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Great Joe posted:

This may surprise you, but most people don't want their hobbies to become illegal. Also, you can't make disc images of flash cards. Because they aren't discs. You moron.

While I appreciate the counter argument, I don't appreciate the needless, petty insults, especially toward a guy who went and LP'd and entire game for me of his own volition so I wouldn't have to. So just cool it on the moron bombs, k? Thanks.

Now, as for a content update: I'm hoping to have both Mission 2 and Mission 1 of Legacy ready by tomorrow/later today so we can all get back to doing what this thread was intended to do; making you all wish I'd just LP Shattered Skies already for god's sake.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah if this thread is gonna have any trolling, it's gonna be ace combat related, such as "Ace Combat 6 is basically 04 but done better" and "AH is better than 04"

oh wait that's telling the truth :getin:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:siren::siren:Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy - Attract Mode Trailer:siren::siren:
:siren::siren:Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy - Mission 1:siren::siren:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
So is it just me is is AC:AHL one of the loudest games on the 3DS? I've played a bit of it and the speakers really pumped out the missile launches and explosions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm really glad you've recovered and I'm glad we'll see planes get shot again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I'm really glad you've recovered and I'm glad we'll see planes get shot cured again.

:colbert:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Glad to see you're recovered. And nice to see AHL get the LP treatment as well, I've really wanted to know how that goes but I don't have the money for a 3DS and the most anyone else has recorded has been, at best, up to the second mission.

Now that the LP's back on track I can hardly wait to see mission 2 of the original, as well. I already mentioned this to Crow but I've got something else lined up to go along with my plane posts for AC2. Hopefully you'll all find it interesting.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i'm glad you didn't die crow

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
OH MY GOD RICHARD EPCAR VOICEOVER :neckbeard:

That is like chocolate ganache on the Welcome Back Crow Ice Cream Cake!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Glad you were able to Stay Fly instead of dancing with the angels.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

I can't believe how often you misspelt my name in the OP, crow :colbert:

Some notes about AC:AHL and what crow said in the video:
The rerelease, AC:AHL+ (which I play here) supports the circle-pad pro and the additional buttons on the New 3DS in minor, not really needed ways. But with the first mission, depending on your loadout, being possible to be won without touching any button but the acceleration, the weapon switch, and the missile fire button, that will have to wait.
The F6F-5 Hellcat part of the video was NOT in Ace difficulty, despite what crow says. Also that F6F-5 is flying with upgrades, or it wouldn't get up to a speed of 2000.

Named Aces don't show up in your first Story Mode playthrough of the game, they only show up after you finished it, but then they show up in every game mode, be it free missions or a second run through of the Story Mode.
It's a weird decision, but eh.

Now, the ranking. Mission ranks in this game are dependent on either time needed or points gained. Weirdly this means, combined with Named Aces not showing up during your first playthrough, that it's literally impossible to get several of the S ranks in your first playthrough because occasionally the points needed for an S rank require you to destroy everything INCLUDING the named ace of the mission.
For this first mission, the S rank requirement is beating the mission in 2 minutes or less, which I think is impossible in the stock F16-C you start with, because it's too slow.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
"Enemy attack! Is it the Allied For...wait, is that a prop plane? How the gently caress did a prop plane shoot down a-"
:kingsley:

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

"Enemy attack! Is it the Allied For...wait, is that a prop plane? How the gently caress did a prop plane shoot down a-"
:kingsley:

Just you wait another... 20ish missions. Prop planes will turn up again, I promise. In the best ways possible.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Trizophenie posted:

Just you wait another... 20ish missions. Prop planes will turn up again, I promise. In the best ways possible.

*nods approvingly at this and the bonus content*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trizophenie posted:

I can't believe how often you misspelt my name in the OP, crow :colbert:

Oops. I've been spelling it the way I pronounce it. :nyoron:

The Casualty posted:

dancing with the angels.

I swear to loving Christ when we get to Ace Combat 6, I'm gonna make that phrase a probatable offense.

Red Minjo posted:

So is it just me is is AC:AHL one of the loudest games on the 3DS? I've played a bit of it and the speakers really pumped out the missile launches and explosions.

You're not alone on that one. Legacy is one hella loud game. On the one hand, it feels incredibly satisfying when the 3DS practically vibrates out of your hands from the bass reverb, yet it's kinda sad that you have to play it either muted or with earbuds in public because you can hear it from half a block away.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

Glad you were able to Stay Fly instead of dancing with the angels.

I love everything about this post.

nine-gear crow posted:

I swear to loving Christ when we get to Ace Combat 6, I'm gonna make that phrase a probatable offense.

nine-gear-Shamrock

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gif doesn't say <<It's time>> rated 1.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

nine-gear crow posted:

:toxx:ing that poo poo. Make it happen yo!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

:toxx:ing that poo poo. Make it happen yo!

May the golden king smile upon nine-gear-crow in his quest.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I couldn't replay AC6 for a while because of that line. I beat it twice before that so I heard it a lot.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Dreamsicle posted:

I couldn't replay AC6 for a while because of that line. I beat it twice before that so I heard it a lot.

Honestly I beat that game so many times that the very concepts of dancing and angels harden my heart.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Casualty posted:

Honestly I beat that game so many times that the very concepts of dancing and angels harden my heart.

Same. I don't even know why I did half that poo poo like the multiple runs of the entire campaign in a single plane, etc etc, but there you go.

e: air to air missions in a Tornado with guns only was a real pain in the rear end, that I remember

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2016

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Psion posted:

Same. I don't even know why I did half that poo poo like the multiple runs of the entire campaign in a single plane, etc etc, but there you go.

e: air to air missions in a Tornado with guns only was a real pain in the rear end, that I remember

At least I know I'm not the only one with enough time on my hands to do a guns only Tornado run :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I can safely say at minimum I have watched the intro cutscene to mission 1 with every single plane and probably every plane's alt color schemes at this point, yeah. I played a lot of AC6.

I think the only achievements I don't have are competitive MP because ugh, the less said there the better

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2016

• Locked thread