Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My wife wants a covered porch on the front of our house so she can presumably sit under it and bang the UPS guy while I'm golfing. Below you will find an image of my hillbilly cabin. Please design a porch for it, minding that from the front door, the left extends just over 6 feet, while the right extends only 1.5 feet. The garage extends like, 80 feet, I don't know just figure it out.

I realize covering the windows will likely make my living room dark as hell, and the front of the house being what it is further suggests this might be a terrible idea... but there are no rules, gently caress humanity. Make the best porch ever designed or come out here and fight me.

Dave_Indeed fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I actually just finished doing a much larger version of this this summer. Except the door opens to the kitchen, no living room. I built a wooden porch with a three " tall deck and metal roof on wooden columns, while also expanding the kitchen, so I had to cut/smash the entire wall and door out. It is time consuming but fairly straightforward. If you aren't expanding the living room, it should be even easier. The trickiest part will be pouring the foundation and doing the part where the roof joins the exterior wall.

Pour the foundation, build a deck that is level with your front step, throw the columns and rafters up, put up the roofing, then add a rail and steps. Simple.

edit: What direction does the front of your house face?

South.

I'm thinking a wrap around front porch into a sun room on the west side of the house. I have a pool in the back with a big deck, and a pond on the other side of the house so the meshed out sun room might be nice for smoking weed in at night without getting owned by bugs.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

shovel your loving drive way

No.

Don't come to my house, I'll shoot at you. This isn't for other people to drive into, this is for me to not use ever and shoot at strangers that try to use it.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks.

I can only get satellite internet all the way out here though so it's not that awesome.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

how many bathrooms

3 full bathrooms, 1 half bath. I just finished the full bathroom in my basement so I can drink and game down there and not have to climb stairs to go pee in the shower.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

shovel your loving drive way

I'm going to lock you in the school bus I buried in my back yard.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You live in the country but you don't have a front porch.

I literally have nothing without a front porch says my wife.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Why not a deck on the back? Isn't that more practical both for relaxing and US guy fuckin?

There's already a deck back there for the pool. This is a covered porch for the front with maybe a sunroom addition.

Also, the UPS guy would never walk around to the back of the house.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

He would if he knew there was some fuckin'. You know UPS guys anyways, they literally shot put your package to your door because they have a 29,348 different stops in the next 3 hours and are on a tight schedule. So you'd really want to build some kind of road side stop anyways.

I think a porch could work but it WOULD block out the windows and I think that could possibly reduce the resale value or at least appeal of the home to newer buyers if you ever sold. It would look nice I'm sure, but would also look kind of awkward matched with your brick facing and full windows that would then become "inside" windows to the porch. Thats a tough situation, but could definitely work out if you did it right.

How about on the west side of the house opposite the garage? Is that a possibility?

Yeah, that side of the house is just the chimney and it's covered in blue siding so I think it could look better. I can build on that side and attach it to the back deck and around the pool. Upside to that is an outside fireplace.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Ugh have fun not playing xbox although that's probably a blessing

It's not that bad, I prefer single player RPG's anyhow. I can go outside with my guns and chase cyclists down the street if I want to FPS.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

blue siding? do you mean to tell me this a wood framed mcmansion and it's just brick veneer up front?

gently caress this, you can't use my nazi design anymore

The stone is pretty thick and are actual stones. I know because some groundhog jerk knocked a bunch off of the front stoop so he could burrow under it and live there rent free.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

regardless, I thought I was looking at some nice old world craftsmanship not some faggy pine frame with stone for decoration

for shame

Oh, no this was built in 2001 by the redneck first owner and his jabroni brother.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

It may not be stone clad at all. Sometimes those panels are faux stone made from polyurethane. Light weight, looks just as good from a distance, and maintenance free!

Wooden hut, plastic clad.

It's not plastic, it's this thing.

It definitely feels like a stone. I could probably kill someone with it. This one fell off of the front step but it's okay, this Spring I have to rehang the gutters so water stops falling on the crack where they are adhered to the concrete slab and also I'm tearing out the landscaping, regrading and killing that god drat ground hog that lives under it. Probably with the decorative stone he helped break off.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Farmland Park posted:

Dude, get some better loving cars, what is that in the garage? A 2006 Toyota Rav-4 and a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer? Shameful.

It's a 2011 Rav 4 and a 2008 Ford Focus you jerk. I also have a bitchin' 97 Dodge Ram out front with my redman tobacco hat sitting on the dash. All of the farmers want to buy it. Extended bed, with edelbrock breather, intake, keg mod.

I had a 2013 camry but a rock fell off some dicks truck and ended up totalling it so I downgraded while paying off the rest of the first loan. "full" coverage is more like, "lol gently caress u." coverage with Travelers.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Utz posted:

Yeah, why does it confuse you? Don't you know anything about Americans? It's all crap, all made for show. Garbage houses for garbage people. Just listen to how the OP expresses himself.

No, you are.

#owned

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Utz posted:

Go gently caress yourself, OP. Stick that joke cheap piece of poo poo house up your rear end.

Stop cyber bullying me.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

spud posted:

Can I live with you yet daddy.

I can convert the basement into an apartment if you're fine with satellite internet.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

Here you go man. With help from the Ostragram thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770267

Sweet, it's like a crazy dream world made out of porches.

Snowglobe does need more love, that was cool.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RaceBannon posted:

thousands of jews didn't show up to OP's house that morning... really maeks you think

You can't prove there weren't thousands of Jews at my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

I keep expecting to see something in the darkness of the garage. I think slenderman broke my brain.

• Locked thread