Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mine has one that's just a thermostat and re-balancer so my kid doesn't get scalded when the dishwasher is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peanut posted:

reheats bathwater

Want.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want to use the space behind the alcove there, you could get a shelving unit on casters. It wouldn't be super convenient to get to the stuff in the little nook, but if you want to squeeze out every last bit of storage...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Naively, I am imagining the mower firing the plugs out at speed, forcing pets and family to dive behind cover.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's also the home security thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're good. Beds are the most important furniture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

This makes me wonder how having storage drawers on the same side of the bed as the nightstand is supposed to work. gently caress it, I'll figure it out somehow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

w00tmonger posted:

That's clever but still looks like a pain in the dick

Works great. I never have to move the nightstand, drawers come out smoothly and easily, no trouble getting stuff in and out. Highly recommended.

What looks like a pain in the dick about it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Getting to the part of the drawer directly under the nightstand

Oh, I haven't had a problem, but I keep linens there mostly. With other stuff, yeah, it could be a bit annoying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could you use a latch closure affixed vertically somehow? With a block to hold the latch part above, maybe
It'd stick out a bit, but I'm not sure that's avoidable without remounting the gate so it can be flush against the wall.

E: actually yeah, can you move that fence post back a bit? Then you can just use a normal latch anchored to the house, I think.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 5, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's vinyl siding and it seems to have about 1/4" of air gap between it and the actual wood of the house. Which means if I did attach anything to it, it would either distort the siding or possibly break it.

Is that the case? If you mount well into the wood I wouldn't expect it to move much. Maybe cut slightly larger holes in the siding and use small pieces of wood (slices of wide dowel?) as offsets if you don't want it the latch directly resting on the siding itself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magnus Praeda posted:

I actually did think about cutting an oversize hole and using a backer block of some kind but I'm worried about water ingress behind the siding if I do. I'd have to treat it like a very tiny window or door and figure out a way to add flashing, etc.

Could you just hit it with spray foam on the inside so that the water couldn't get anywhere?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like I should go install those all over my ex-wife's house, now that our separation has left the top third of her kitchen inaccessible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wouldn't you just aim the detector so that it only covered the zone you want?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good luck with whatever's behind the soy sauce or Tabasco, IMO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you required to give a key to your landlord? I don't think that's the case here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ElCondemn posted:

As far as I know there is no law requiring landlords have access to property that's been rented out. You can change the locks all you want as long as you didn't sign a lease with that stipulation in there

That's actually not the case in most states, from my searching. You either need written prior approval or you have to provide a key on demand, depending on the state.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ElCondemn posted:

Please link the laws you're referencing, I've been a landlord in a few states and I'm not aware of any laws that require your landlord have a spare key. I also did a cursory google search just in case my experience was unique, but I didn't find any laws that stated anything like this.

"New York tenant change lock" got me this, which cites Alaska and NY law: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/05/is-it-legal-to-change-the-locks-on-a-rental-house.html

In California and NJ, the lease has to state that the landlord gets a key.

In Colorado the tenant can't install locks without permission (can't find a link to statute, but same claim unrebutted in many places). In Florida they can, it seems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Which self?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, I'm guessing you won't wait another year to get real curtains.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

[quote="“tetrapyloctomy”" post="“477142362”"]

[/quote]

Just wanted to spend a moment on the fact that I still love that painting of your dog.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why do people have cold cellars? I have one, but I don’t really understand why I would want a place that isn’t humidity- or temperature- controlled, but is attached to my basement. It’s too narrow to insulate effectively, I think, but I also feel like I’m missing something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Samsung is I believe the only game in town that is even at all close to not a hilarious security problem.

The Kevo ones are bad? I was looking at one of those.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

These products all suffer from the same hot garbage problems as your other IoT consumer junk.

The Kevo doesn’t need to connect to the internet at all, AFAIK. Without additional hardware it can’t even talk to a Z-wave hub.

My actual IoT stuff is working great though!

I am utterly unconcerned with someone picking my lock, given that the entire back wall of my main floor is glass.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really wanted the touch one, but maybe keypad works.

The trick is finding one that can handle a 2 3/8” door, so far.

H110Hawk posted:

I hold it all in equal disdain. :v: You built some fancy pants IoT irrigation system right?

No, but I plan to build a system this summer that also doesn’t connect to the internet, just local soil humidity sensors and rain detectors. Probably not even Z-wave.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ups_rail posted:

hey guys i went looking for a "smart house" thread couldnt find one.

FWIW: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cacti?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a dandelion problem. There is not a square foot of my 25’x25’ back yard without multiple, perhaps five, dandelions. There is no way I’m digging them out by hand. What are my options?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They’re so ugly and I don’t even like the taste of the greens. I’ll see if I can get someone in, I guess. Will overseeding (which I’ve been considering on its own merits) help keep them from returning?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

By "hire someone," do you have kids in your neighborhood? Kids who'd like to make 50¢ per taproot?

I think my daughter is the oldest on the street at 10, and I have tried all manner of bribery and cajoling. There are likely 100 dandelions in my yard, it’s grim.

I’ll just eat the cost of a gardening service, if I can figure out how to keep them from coming back.

Related: does a clover lawn spread beyond where it’s seeded?

E: to keep the dandelions from coming back. The gardening service can return if needed.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 29, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

I didn't seed the clover all around my house, but it's certainly spreading naturally at a high rate. This was from new construction with no sod and no topsoil put back on after the lot was scraped clean, the clover came out of nowhere to make a pretty thick ground cover and now as long as I mow it every week it looks OK.

Hmm. My back yard adjoins the neighbours’ without an intervening fence, so I’m worried about it spreading out of my space. Maybe this isn’t for me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh look who’s all fancy with an organizer bin. La-di-da.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whalesteak posted:

I've found that storing containers with their lids on makes the tupperware cabinet infinitely more organized, easier to use and less likely to accumulate orphan tops/bottoms. I've organized a lot of my friends' kitchens and they've all sworn there's not enough space to do that, but once ive got everything sorted and stacked by size it's always a wash.

Yeah, that’s what I do now. I also want some organizer boxes in there, because things don’t all stack well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I have a variable-speed HVAC setup, how invasive is it to get multi-zone set up? There's a pretty big difference between basement and top floor, and I'm thinking about dealing with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

He was great with my kid too who wanted to watch. Took a trimming and cut+polished the edges into 6 little tiles my kid could play with while he watched.

:3:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like some high quality mycostructure there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Disagree. Get them if you want them (and like how the ones on that specific model work), but know that you might need to service them at some point. A service call isn’t the end of the world.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

It's such a perfect circle (obv) that I love the idea of making it a deliberate feature. If it were on the railing you could do a sundial, but if it's on the floor, I think a compass would be cute. Add little bonus direction headings for your parents' house or where you always go on vacation or something.

I love that compass idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure in what circumstance you would need to individually change the color temperature of your soffit lights on the fly from your smartphone.

Ever heard of Christmas?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a thread for smart home type stuff? I picked up a Philips Hue kit yesterday to tie in to my Alexa and Harmony system. So far so good, but as I expand this Hue system I'm going to want to replace the old wall switches. I've heard smart switches and smart bulbs can cause conflicts, so what are my options if I want to be able to control say my old ceiling fan fixture with hue bulbs from a dual gang box?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963 is the thread.

You can get standalone switches that control Hue bulbs wirelessly(*). Generally people (myself included) do smart switches so that the usual control affordances are present, and so that they don’t have to buy 16 smart bulbs for their basement ceiling lights.

Fans are a complicated case, depending a lot of how specifically the house and fan are wired. I’d guess you’re best hard-wiring the light portion of the switch on and then using the Hue-specific switch.

(*) Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167Z0P3I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_azzwCb2X6W8AD