Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well after a forum break from simulwatches we're back with a special double feature experimental simulwatch. The idea behind this is to get fans of one genre to try something highly regarded in a different genre and for us all to broaden our horizons and have fun watching two different shows.

To that end, in this simulwatch I will be showing off season 1 of the monogatari series: Bakemonogatari, while my friend Droyer will be showing off his all time favourite anime: Patlabor. I hope that you'll try both!

Droyer's gonna tell you all about patlabor in the next post, and then the rules/schedule will be in the third post. In the meantime let's talk about bakemonogatari.

Bakemonogatari

Bakemonogatari is based on the first two books of the monogatari series written by nisioisin (katanagatari, medaka's box) - a writer so prolific that he wrote a katanagatari book once a month every month for the entirety of 2007 just to prove that he could. There are currently 20 books in the monogatari series with a further two scheduled for release later this year. In terms of classification this series is tricky to classify in a particular genre as it mixes contemporary fantasy, comedy and drama to create something fairly unique.

The monogatari series as a whole focuses on koyomi araragi (not pictured), a third year high schooler who is slightly a vampire after an incident which occurred over spring break (this is detailed in the third book kizumonogatari which is currently being released as three films). Throughout the series araragi supports various girls who have encountered aberrations (oddities) - supernatural creatures which generally have some relation to a personal problem the girls are experiencing. Whilst the series does have action elements, due to the nature of the aberrations this is primarily a series about talking; Nisioisin's penchant for snappy dialogue and wordplay combined with animation by SHAFT studios and the director, Akiyuki Shinbo's usual quirks and trademarks produces an anime unlike any other.

The original TV release of Bakemonogatari was beset with unspecified difficulties (likely budgetary), as a result the original broadcast had numerous animation cuts, with the dialogue being read over placeholder frames. Additionally the final three episodes were unable to be broadcast over TV and were instead released as web broadcasts. SHAFT did its usual thing of improving things for the DVD/Blu-ray release, with the difference between the two so profound that it's definitely the recommended release for this simulwatch.

Availability

Bakemonogatari is available for streaming over crunchyroll in some regions (note that this is the TV release, with worse animation and no access to the final three episodes)

Bakemonogatari is also widely available on DVD/Blu-ray, with improved animation, the final three episodes, character commentary. This is definitely the recommended way to watch this portion of the simulwatch.

CLARIFICATION

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While my friend Namtab is responsible for the Bakemonogatari half of this simulwatch, I will be in charge of the Patlabor half. Patlabor is my favorite anime and very near and dear to my heart, and I hope everyone enjoys it! Of course, I also encourage you to join the Bakemonogatari side of the simulwatch as well.

Patlabor

Patlabor is a mecha anime directed by Mamoru Oshii of Ghost in the Shell fame. Contrary to Oshii’s reputation for slow, philosophical thrillers, Patlabor is a comedic and lighthearted show with a fun cast of characters and often silly tone, although the second and third movie are more similar to Oshii's other works.

Patlabor chronicles the (mis)adventures of the Tokyo Police Special Vehicles Unit 2 Section 2 and their attempts to stop giant robot crime, whether it be a drunken argument that got out of hand or an international terrorist plot. Much like Bakemonogatari, while there certainly is action what really makes Patlabor stand out is its characters and writing.

Patlabor is divided into two separate continuities, and for this simulwatch we are only concerned with the first one, which consists of the OVA that started the franchise (sometimes referred to as The Early Days) and the three feature-length movies: Patlabor The Movie, Patlabor 2: The Movie and WXIII: Patlabor The Movie 3.

Availability

If you’re in America Hulu has the OVA and the first movie, and Animecentral has all of it. If you (like me) are not American however you will have to track down DVDs/Blurays.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 28, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schedule

This simulwatch will last four weeks in this experimental stage. For the first three weeks we will be watching an arc of bakemonogatari on Mondays and Wednesdays, and patlabor OVAs on Fridays. For the final week we will be watching a Patlabor movie on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The schedule therefore is:

Week 1:

04/04: Bakemonogatari 1, 2 (Hitagi Crab arc)
06/04: Bakemonogatari 3, 4, 5 (Mayoi Snail arc)
08/04: Patlabor OVAs 1, 2

Week 2:

11/04: Bakemonogatari 6, 7, 8 (Suruga Monkey arc)
13/04: Bakemonogatari 9, 10 (Nadeko Snake arc)
15/04: Patlabor OVAs 3, 4

Week 3:

18/04: Bakemonogatari 11, 12 (Tsubasa Cat arc part 1)
20/04: Bakemonogatari 13, 14, 15 (Tsubasa Cat arc part 2 – THESE ARE THE WEB EPISODES AND NOT ON CRUNCHYROLL)
22/04: Patlabor OVAs 5, 6, 7

Week 4:

25/04: Patlabor Movie 1
27/04: Patlabor Movie 2
29/04: Patlabor Movie 3
30/04: Minipato - presumably the small pato?

Livewatching will take place at Midnight BST (7PM EST). This is the time you are allowed to begin posting without spoilers about the events of specific episodes. Can't make the livewatch time? Don't worry, watch before the livewatch and post your thoughts after the time, or watch after the livewatch and post your thoughts.

Thread Rules

Bakemonogatari spoilers: To make this thread accessible to people who have not seen monogatari before the policy is that anything we have not watched in this thread has not happened and should be spoiler tagged. This includes events of further arcs in this thread and events/new characters in future seasons of monogatari. This includes wink wink, nudge nudge posting of any kind.

Patlabor spoilers: Patlabor is mostly episodic so it’s a bit less of a deal than monogatari. That said, please spoiler tag specific events in any episodes we have not seen, including the TV continuity.

Creepy posting: The “don’t be a creep” rule applies in this thread slightly more than any other. Nobody is expecting old ADTRW levels of loud and vocal puritanism, however things that would normally be acceptable in the chat thread won’t fly here. I’m not going to specify what I mean by creepy to avoid rules lawyering, however as a rough guide a bit of friendly banter about the best girl is ok whereas a discussion about Hanekawa’s breasts is not. If you have to ask, it’s probably not OK. The mod has assured me that there will be consequences for being a creep.

Complaining about things being creepy: Bakemonogatari has some fanservicey parts and you are well within your rights to complain about them. However nothing brings down a thread more than that one guy who keeps on complaining about something, causing endless derails. If you find something creepy, you get to post about it once so make it a good post. If it turns into a discussion you can reply, but if the mod, Droyer or I say that the discussion is over then it should end straight away, without parting shots. Once the discussion has ended, don’t be the one to restart it. The mod has agreed to this rule – there will be punishments for breaking it.

Posting “I’m not interested in Patlabor/Bakemonogatari and won’t be participating in the thread because something I don’t like is here”: Don’t do it. Nobody cares, you look like a crybaby who can’t handle people liking things you don’t. Watch both things to broaden your horizons, watch just the thing you like, or don’t post.

Posting “There’s too many posts about the show I’m not interested in”: Be the change you want to see.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Reserved for thread content that I like

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm at the Bakemonogatari simul

I'm at the Patlabor simul

I'm at the combination Bakemonogatari and Patlabor simul

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This will be good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's me, I'm the first Patlabor vote.

I'll be watching Patlabor but probably not Bakemonogatari because of time constraints. I'm also not sure I can livewatch at all since 1am BST is very late.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's me, I'm the first Patlabor vote.

I'll be watching Patlabor but probably not Bakemonogatari because of time constraints. I'm also not sure I can livewatch at all since 1am BST is very late.

uh, it's midnight in the UK, that it airs

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

uh, it's midnight in the UK, that it airs

You forgot DST, Namtab! Midnight GMT is 1am BST.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as a good mech lover i shan't participate in the perversity

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope that I will not get called out to work too often while the simulwatch is happening

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Was there any kind of livestream thing figured out where everyone can watch/chat as it's going on?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

You forgot DST, Namtab! Midnight GMT is 1am BST.

Whatever, midnight in the UK, I changed the post

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
As I have not seen any of either I will refrain from voting until I know what I am voting for.

I tend to like jets and ships more than mechs though, but we'll see.

We shall see....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Was there any kind of livestream thing figured out where everyone can watch/chat as it's going on?

Rabb.it can apparently stream hulu/CR stuff, somebody just has to host. the CR version of gatari sucks though so it would be a better option for watching Pato. though synchtube has some way you can stream files on your pc that i haven't checked out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bakemonogatari is great as long as your pretend the season finale is just the end of the series. I'll watch Patlabor again though, great series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did not know there was a third Patlabor movie until today.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I didn't realize the Blu-ray release of bakemono was that different. I was only going to watch patlabor since I haven't seen it but now I think I'll watch both!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Bakemonogatari is great as long as your pretend the season finale is just the end of the series. I'll watch Patlabor again though, great series.

jesus christ just skip nise man

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I did not know there was a third Patlabor movie until today.
It's pretty bad and the Patlabor crew is in there for like 5 minutes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will not willingly turn a blind eye to nude underage children just because I like the editing.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm glad that you're talking about this, in the Patlabor/Bakemonogatari Simulwatch thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you, in training, for demonstrating why the fourth rule is a thing that should exist in this thread.

Let me reassure you that this thread will be focusing on Bakemonogatari and not Nisemonogatari. In the future simulwatch where nisemonogatari is viewed, I will be alerting people to the two bad episodes in advance, and providing a synopsis on the night for those who do not wish to actually watch them, but will be watching the rest of the arcs in which they occur.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

These posts about only watching one series go against the spirit of the double simulwatch.

I'm going to watch both, and hopefully actually keep up this time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
8 am EST.

Hmm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't need to livewatch to simulwatch, yeah?

Never done a simu before.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Actually been meaning to rewatch Bakemono at some point and the Patlabor OVA's have been on my list for a very long time so... Yeah ok.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not going to be able to live post because of work, but I plan on watching both, so hopefully I can contribute in some way.

First time watching Patlabor too. Might be fun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Of course not. But don't complain about being spoiled if you read the thread before you've watched the scheduled episode if you're watching it later, and wait to post until the livestream time if you're watching it earlier.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No, just watch the episodes sometime after the airing time, and post your reaction to them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nah. Just don't talk about what comes up ahead of the schedule. That's what I'm doing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Droyer posted:

Of course not. But don't complain about being spoiled if you read the thread before you've watched the scheduled episode if you're watching it later, and wait to post until the livestream time if you're watching it earlier.

Like I give a poo poo about being spoiled. I'll just watch the day before and then post after the livewatch!

This is called a lifehack Droyer.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:same: boat as leet cake of doom.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

Added to post 3

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

patogatari, or monolabor?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Thank you, in training, for demonstrating why the fourth rule is a thing that should exist in this thread.

Let me reassure you that this thread will be focusing on Bakemonogatari and not Nisemonogatari. In the future simulwatch where nisemonogatari is viewed, I will be alerting people to the two bad episodes in advance, and providing a synopsis on the night for those who do not wish to actually watch them, but will be watching the rest of the arcs in which they occur.

It's disingenuous to mislead people and creating a "rule" to shut down legitimate criticisms is weak. It's not like it's just Nise, Bake has multiple arcs and "gags" about a teenaged boy molesting middle schoolers.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Gonna watch patlabor cause I haven't seen it in a long time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Gonna watch patlabor cause I haven't seen it in a long time.

Same here, I've seen the movies recently but it's been a while since I've watched the OVAs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thank you so much for doing this. I hope this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've seen and enjoyed both of these, but it's been a while, especially for bake. I'll try to follow along, but if the new season is too powerful I make no promises.

• Locked thread