Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A new contender, has entered the simul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's been a small change to the schedule: On 30th of April we will be watching MiniPato as the last part of this simul. MiniPato is a series of 3 ten-minute comedy sketches about the Patlabor series. MiniPato has never been released outside of Japan so when the time comes I'll provide a download link for it.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 31, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Namtab posted:

A new contender, has entered the simul
Whoa we're going to watch Sailor Moon too?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Download my rear end

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Minipato - the mini patlabor, a tragic epic in 10 parts

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Download my rear end

No PC has that much storage

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Namtab posted:

No PC has that much storage

Mine does :greencube:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Well uh, enjoy then?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Droyer posted:

There's been a small change to the schedule: On 30th of April we will be watching MiniPato as the last part of this simul. MiniPato is a series of 3 ten-minute comedy sketches about the Patlabor series. MiniPato has never been released outside of Japan so when the time comes I'll provide a download link for it.

Cool

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Bakemonogatari seems like a show for people who think Tarantino movies are well regarded because of their depth. Also, you know

I was going to watch Patlabor 2 because I heard it was good. Is the rest comparable or just action comedy hijinks?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Mercrom posted:

Bakemonogatari seems like a show for people who think Tarantino movies are well regarded because of their depth. Also, you know

I was going to watch Patlabor 2 because I heard it was good. Is the rest comparable or just action comedy hijinks?

Actually Tarantino Movies and the -monogatari series are good for different reasons.

They both have really good dialogue though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Most of Patlabor isn't as serious as the second movie but it's still very well written.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

Actually Tarantino Movies and the -monogatari series are good for different reasons.

They both have really good dialogue though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mercrom posted:

there are a couple really goofy episodes in the ova, but for the most part the series isn't super heavy on comedy, most of the comedy that is present just comes from the character interactions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mercrom posted:

Maybe watch the show, rather than remaining uninformed

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

Actually it was included on a separate disc for the old special edition of WXIII, and the recent rerelease by Maiden Japan has it as an extra.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Protodude posted:

Actually it was included on a separate disc for the old special edition of WXIII, and the recent rerelease by Maiden Japan has it as an extra.

Ah, I didn't know that, will fix.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mercrom posted:

Patlabor & Bakemonogatari are spiritual siblings, in that both take an action-packed premise (robot police! monster fighting!) and spend most of their runtime on :words: and ensemble comedy instead. I do love them so.

Patlabor 2 is a couple hours of ugly men talking in cars, guest starring a robot named Alphonse. But in a good way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Patlabor 2 is a couple hours of ugly men talking in cars

You take that back, Matsui is beautiful on the inside.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well Gotoh definitely isn't ugly

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

End of Evangelion is the only movie I rate higher than Patlabor 2.

The lack of 'anime' in that sentence is intentional.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

End of Evangelion is the only movie I rate higher than Patlabor 2.

The lack of 'anime' in that sentence is intentional.

Hear hear

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

patlabor:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 1, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please keep the gifs in check until we actually reach the episode they're from

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT EXPECT THAT!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I can understand not wanting to watch Nise with others. Even ignoring the two episodes it's a lot of episodes dedicated to very few arcs. It does introduce some very important characters though so check it out on your own if you have time. You'll appreciate later stuff much more.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Droyer posted:

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, please keep the gifs in check until we actually reach the episode they're from

i don't think the simulwatch covers patlabor tv episodes

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm disgusted by the lack of gay Pato art it's a travesty!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Grab a paintbrush and be the change you want to see.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

:same: :sigh:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

be the change you want to see!!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Condiv posted:

i don't think the simulwatch covers patlabor tv episodes

Namtab posted:

Patlabor spoilers: Patlabor is mostly episodic so it’s a bit less of a deal than monogatari. That said, please spoiler tag specific events in any episodes we have not seen, including the TV continuity.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I have 3 backgrounds and 2 characters to do this weekend but maybe I'll cook up something up to celebrate the end of my week long probation

it won't be very good but it will exist, maybe

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 1, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I've been meaning to watch Bakemonogatari for a long time now, and this is as good an excuse as any. The way that some people* make it sound like a series we should be talking through our lawyers about is making me look forward to it.

I've already seen Patlabor, a long time ago, but sure I'll watch it again.

*: Not naming names

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Command Ant posted:

I've been meaning to watch Bakemonogatari for a long time now, and this is as good an excuse as any. The way that some people* make it sound like a series we should be talking through our lawyers about is making me look forward to it.

I've already seen Patlabor, a long time ago, but sure I'll watch it again.

*: Not naming names
If the purpose of those episodes was comedic gold through crossing the line twice, then they succeeded.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This thread is gonna be dead for the first week, which might curtail posting in later weeks. :rip: simulwatch.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Why would it be dead?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

Why would it be dead?

lots of people made long bets in the probation raffle thread. i dunno how much that will actually impact the activity in here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm going to watch the Patlabor episodes this week and maybe the Bakemono episodes if I have time

That is my simul story :)

• Locked thread