Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
We just need to sit down, as a society, and establish a firm cutoff distance for how close someone has to be before you're obligated by common courtesy to hold the door open for them.

Earlier this morning I was exiting the mini mart and spotted someone on an approach vector. They were about six paces (~18 ft) away.
Normally at that distance I would let the door close and continue on my way, but I made the mistake of making eye contact with the guy. So now I couldn't just let the door shut because it would seem like I was letting it close on purpose to spite him, but by holding it open, I forced him to jog up to the door and smile awkwardly, making the situation uncomfortable for all involved and actually more inconvenient than if he just had to open the door himself.

I don't consider myself a particularly neurotic person, but this is something I (and I think most people who go out in public regularly) struggle with on at least a weekly basis.

Goons, what do you do when someone is in that gray area where it's too far to hold the door open for them but too close to let it close?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always pull the door closed behind me and if im feeling saucy i might hold it closed for a few seconds while staring at the person trying to use it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i glide thru the door

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

paul_soccer10 posted:

I always pull the door closed behind me and if im feeling saucy i might hold it closed for a few seconds while staring at the person trying to use it

welcome to the forums!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Usually in that situation I do not hold the door, I go in and let it slowly close while keeping my hand on it, so the other person can see that I am trying here goddammit, but it's clearly just not going to work out.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
its like a power trip and they get mad at you if you dont stand there for 10 seconds holding their door open like some sort of cuck

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is a cut-off limit. you open the door and you hold it open you go through the doorway and continue to hold it open by the time you walk through and can't hold it anymore that's the cut-off limit

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5MJyEHKGo

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i think a 4ft radius unless a wheelchair or small child in which case its up to the door user.

also it should be limited to one group of 4 or less.

my go to comment when multiple scum bags try and take advantage of my benevolence is "im not gonna stand here all day, you loving scumbags, do you want me to show you how to use this thing you retarded pieces of poo poo?" its a good ice breaker

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Volume posted:

There is a cut-off limit. you open the door and you hold it open you go through the doorway and continue to hold it open by the time you walk through and can't hold it anymore that's the cut-off limit

See I'd say that's reasonable but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

i think a 4ft radius unless a wheelchair or small child in which case its up to the door user.

also it should be limited to one group of 4 or less.

my go to comment when multiple scum bags try and take advantage of my benevolence is "im not gonna stand here all day, you loving scumbags, do you want me to show you how to this thing you retarded pieces of poo poo?" its a good ice breaker

Yeah it's tougher when you're dealing with an invalid because if you don't hold it open you look like a monster, meanwhile it takes a full fifteen seconds for them to roll up to the door on their stupid rascal scooter.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ok no problem, lets just make it 2 meters.

there, done. that was fuckin easy.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the 4x4 rule

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

See I'd say that's reasonable but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

If they ain't double stepping then it's not a worry that they have to take an extra second

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
another good thing to say is "what am i? your loving butler? welcome, your highness" really sarcastically while bowing and curtsying

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sometimes I like to make eye contact with someone holding the door thirty or even forty feet away and then start jogging toward the door so they're stuck holding it for a really long time.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like to stop and tie my shoe or lay down near the entrance

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One time I got flustered and tried to hold open a revolving door by accident and everyone got really mad.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time I was holding the door for some old lady who was an awkward distance behind me and she tried to hurry up and loving tripped. So I had to go over and help her up and it turned into a whole thing. She was fine though.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

One time I got flustered and tried to hold open a revolving door by accident and everyone got really mad.

those are fun to sit down in and start jacking off

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

OctoberBlues posted:

One time I was holding the door for some old lady who was an awkward distance behind me and she tried to hurry up and loving tripped. So I had to go over and help her up and it turned into a whole thing. She was fine though.

It's easier when they're behind you because you can just pretend you didn't see them. I almost never hold the door open for someone behind me unless they're like literally right there.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
I propose a "Distance to Ugliness" factor being used here. Sex neutral ofcourse.

Distance divided by Ugly = Distance you should keep the door open.

So, asuming it's 10 feet we settle on, and the person is 0% ugly, meaning he/she is 100% hot = Hold the door open
On the other hand, if its 100% ugly - you let the door go slamming him/her in the face.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes its fun to act like you are going to hold the door for someone and then puch them in the dick or vagino when they get close

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

It's easier when they're behind you because you can just pretend you didn't see them. I almost never hold the door open for someone behind me unless they're like literally right there.

As I recall she was physically pretty close, but she was old and slow, so it complicated the math. Very unfortunate all the way around.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Because I'm white I extend the distance I'm willing to hold the door open for Black people because of White Guilt. I also call them "Sir" or "Ma'm" as they pass so they know I'm not racist.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what is the scenario called when you block the entrance and start jacking off? the heimlich manuver? i forget

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Uxzuigal posted:

I propose a "Distance to Ugliness" factor being used here. Sex neutral ofcourse.

Distance divided by Ugly = Distance you should keep the door open.

So, asuming it's 10 feet we settle on, and the person is 0% ugly, meaning he/she is 100% hot = Hold the door open
On the other hand, if its 100% ugly - you let the door go slamming him/her in the face.

Must be a tough life for you getting the door slammed in your face all the time

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Someday all doors will just be automatic sliding doors and having to hold them open for people will be a thing of the past. I dream of that day.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i like places that you have to enter through a maze and use your wits to survive

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
If it's a normal healthy looking person, 10 feet.

Old person/disabled/hugely pregnant/small child in tow, 30 feet.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
An old couple with walkers who are dressed identically: pick them up and carry them through the door.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

ugh

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I see someone behind me I actively speed up, then when I get beyond the door, i kneel down and actively hold it closed.

Unless it's someone I don't like the look of, then I do that but open the door really fast when they reach it. I think I managed to get a weird looking midget to go over 15 feet once. That has to be some sort of record.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've started just asking store proprietors "is there a back way out of this place?" so I can just sneak out and avoid the whole situation altogether.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
there should be more moats and drawbridges imo

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you handle it when there are two sets of doors? You hold the door open for the first set, then they stop/get a phone call/pause for whatever reason and now they are in between the outter door and inner door. If you hold it open you look like a tool as they obviously don't want to enter/exit, but if you don't, you're essentially slamming the door in their face since there is only like 5 feet of area between the doors.

This is a serious conundrum and I don't know how to approach it.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I like to hold the door open for people but block them from entering and then say "Only if you know the password!" And then we both generally have a polite chuckle and then I stand in the doorway smiling at them until they tell me the password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

this is far too long in both scenarios and a bad opinion

• Locked thread