Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
You know what, I think I finally pinpointed what really makes the faces in LA Noire feel weird; it's the way teeth and lips interact. Looks like painted putty.

Much as I love The Maltese Falcon, yeah, it's convoluted and can be difficult to keep up with on your first viewing, especially if you're not used to the pace of dialogue older films had. Today's movies, people talk at a snail's pace in comparison. Casa Blanca feels like it had a much better presentation and execution, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Selecting "Lie", backing out, then selecting "Truth" makes Phelps seem a little insincere

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tlarn posted:

You know what, I think I finally pinpointed what really makes the faces in LA Noire feel weird; it's the way teeth and lips interact. Looks like painted putty.

I never saw a problem watching early LPs of the game, but it became apparent playing with lower settings on a 1920x1080 monitor. The faces are essentially "painted" on textures, yes, but the way the animation works is that it actually shifts between distinct frames rather than making smooth changes (I think the frame rate for the cameras that filmed the actors is lower than the frame rate of the game itself), causing the faces to "blur" between fragments of expressions instead of making human changes.

Jay Rust posted:

Selecting "Lie", backing out, then selecting "Truth" makes Phelps seem a little insincere

There's some loving great Lie options later in the game. One option (which I think is the correct one with evidence backing it up in a Homicide case) has Cole spend something like 30 seconds raving like a lunatic about his theory for why the suspect murdered someone. He goes into detail about how horrible the suspect must have been, practically leaping out of his chair to scream in his face. It's such an obvious attempt at coercing a confession that nobody could get away with it on camera today.

*realizes you don't have any evidence*

"....I appear to have been mistaken."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

chitoryu12 posted:

I never saw a problem watching early LPs of the game, but it became apparent playing with lower settings on a 1920x1080 monitor. The faces are essentially "painted" on textures, yes, but the way the animation works is that it actually shifts between distinct frames rather than making smooth changes (I think the frame rate for the cameras that filmed the actors is lower than the frame rate of the game itself), causing the faces to "blur" between fragments of expressions instead of making human changes.

I suppose it's worth noting, then, that the game also locks you into 30fps. But yeah, LA Noire's biggest problem is that it has far more detail than it has polygons. Just wait until we see our first overweight dude, because once you add a second chin you really step into Clayface territory.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sometimes just randomly accusing people of things can help narrow your options down, through it does make Cole look like a complete sociopath at times. As mentioned in the first video there are times where people are very obviously telegraphing whether they're lying or telling the truth but there are some very deceiving people later down the line that you really need to be paying attention to.

As for the names thing; I think that's just to hurry things along. Yeah it's kinda unrealistic but most people don't want to sit around for 20-30 minutes while people look things up and try to recall details. We've also yet to meet Wikipedia Dispatcher Woman; I'm pretty sure she's memorized every person and address in LA.

I do love the level of detail present in some of the areas you visit in this game, particularly some of the interiors. They put a lot of effort in to some parts of the game, just a shame that it's so horrifically un-optimized.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Sometimes just randomly accusing people of things can help narrow your options down, through it does make Cole look like a complete sociopath at times. As mentioned in the first video there are times where people are very obviously telegraphing whether they're lying or telling the truth but there are some very deceiving people later down the line that you really need to be paying attention to.

As for the names thing; I think that's just to hurry things along. Yeah it's kinda unrealistic but most people don't want to sit around for 20-30 minutes while people look things up and try to recall details. We've also yet to meet Wikipedia Dispatcher Woman; I'm pretty sure she's memorized every person and address in LA.

I do love the level of detail present in some of the areas you visit in this game, particularly some of the interiors. They put a lot of effort in to some parts of the game, just a shame that it's so horrifically un-optimized.

I was actually impressed by the optimization of the game. My rig struggles with things like Watch_Dogs, 60 Seconds, and badly optimized Steam Greenlight stuff, but LA Noire is almost constantly at 30 FPS.

Part of the difficulty is in parsing whether or not to choose Doubt or Lie, as you get a second chance to back out of accusing them of lying but Doubt and Truth move on immediately with no way to second guess yourself.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I think we can all agree Rusty is the best partner, right?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Jay Rust posted:

"You better start telling the truth or you're gonna fry, grandma!"
"How can you say that, young man? What makes you think I had anything to do with it?"
"*ahem* Just checking."

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I like how the chief is basically a 1:1 of the chief from L.A. Confindential

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Verbose posted:

I like how the chief is basically a 1:1 of the chief from L.A. Confindential

That was literally all I could think hearing him talk. He sounded ALMOST EXACTLY like James Cromwell in LA Confidential.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I kinda like the face technology in this game although I must say it seems to make all the female characters look horrifically old. Something about the make up and hair doesn't seem to gel too well with the technology.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Mm I could listen to Keith Szarabajka talk all day :allears:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was actually impressed by the optimization of the game. My rig struggles with things like Watch_Dogs, 60 Seconds, and badly optimized Steam Greenlight stuff, but LA Noire is almost constantly at 30 FPS.

Part of the difficulty is in parsing whether or not to choose Doubt or Lie, as you get a second chance to back out of accusing them of lying but Doubt and Truth move on immediately with no way to second guess yourself.

My experience was the exact opposite when I first got the game - bought it during Steam sale years ago but didn't get very far initially. Problems with the Social Club crap, constant stuttering, horrendous load times and the game generally looking like rear end (after turning every option down as low as it would go) eventually drove me away from the game after a few missions.

It wasn't until an LP here a couple of years ago that I saw what I was missing and looked for a way to fix it. I had to manually adjust the config files and use command lines to get the game to run properly ( with no shadows and windowed) but it did run much better and I was able to beat the game.

As for the Doubt/Lie thing, thats where the gameyness comes in and what makes Cole look like a psycho. Rumour has it that Doubt was at one point called Bluff or something, which would help explain Cole's constant mood swings, but it was changed before release and never adjusted properly. Now Cole just shouts at people to elicit a response.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 5, 2016

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Jay Rust posted:

It is a bit gamey. When I played through I didn't realize you could back out of lies so I always went with the first choice I made :v: It meant I didn't always get interrogations right, especially later on when subjects have better poker faces.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Europa Universalis 4 released a patch today, played a bit during lunch, started a new game as a minor nation in the revamped Irish region, formed the Kingdom of Ireland in the span of thirty years through sheer luck (of the Irish), feeling good, #EasterRising #Centenary #Ireland2016 #LovingLife :cool:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love Captain Donnelly's speeches. Always feel like I know the actor from somewhere, but nothing on his (Andrew Connolly's) imdb page rings a bell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Casualty posted:

It is a bit gamey. When I played through I didn't realize you could back out of lies so I always went with the first choice I made :v: It meant I didn't always get interrogations right, especially later on when subjects have better poker faces.

Leland Monroe really gets hard toward the end of the game. He's got the classic politician's poker face and confidence to lie without even losing his smile, so getting past his bullshit requires you to carefully review your evidence to see the discrepancies.

There's also some guys as early as Homicide who look like they're lying, but are actually telling the truth and just nervous. Watching their expressions and tics before making a choice can even throw you off further, as you'll notice a glance downward or slight shuffle and mistake it for a liar's tell.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Skippy Granola posted:

"You better start telling the truth or you're gonna fry, grandma!"
"How can you say that, young man? What makes you think I had anything to do with it?"
"*ahem* Just checking."

Actually, if the person you're accusing says something like that, that's a good indication that something you have does prove Cole's accusations. It might be a bit gamey (and make Phelps look unbalanced), but like Bobbin indicates, it is a popular rule of thumb in this game that if you just aren't sure if someone is actually lying or should be pressed, you accuse them of lying first. If Cole goes off on some ridiculous tangent like chitoryu describes that you know is completely untrue, and if the person just threatens or insults you generically, you know you have no proof; but if Cole still sounds plausible, and if the person outright says something like "I'll bet you haven't got one single shred of evidence that I shot that guy/slapped my wife/diddled that kid!", then that give you a clue of almost exactly what piece of evidence you need to answer correctly, and if you don't have that, then doubt them. It works most of the time, and was a great benefit to me, who generally has problems reading faces in the best of times- and it does lead to some golden dialogue down the road. Another good rule of thumb is to look at the interviewee before you've asked any questions, because chances are, that's their "Truth" face. Of course, like others have said, both of these kinda fall by the wayside as you continue the game and run into more accomplished liars, but they are pretty good rules.

But I do see what people mean, and also wonder why they just didn't go with Coax/bluff for the conversation options, because they fit a lot more with what actually happens in the game. And even when Cole gets everything right, he still doesn't come off as exactly... stable.* I still love him, though. That smirk after he gave Kelso his bad ratings in the flashback... Videogame characters are usually so larger than life they're obviously videogame characters, but I recognize Phelps. I've met people like him in real life. You know that guy at the office that gladhands and brownoses the boss like crazy to stay in a good position, and you can't really fault him for it because he's actually pretty good at what he does, but you don't want to associate or invite him out to things because Christ, what an rear end in a top hat? That's Cole.

*Even if you can see where he's coming from, as you kinda can with Miss Galletta. I mean, a man was killed right in front of you, and you're worried about your earrings? Geez.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

To be fair, Orson Welles directly ripped things like set ceilings from Stagecoach, which came out in 1939

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Edit: N/m it is addressed in the video.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A couple of oddities in this case:
- Clovis is a pretty strange name for a woman. Could it be a reference to something?
- Considering how dark his skin is and his family name, it seems likely that Kalou is intended to be Sephardic. Would such a person living in 1940s Los Angeles be likely to use so many Yiddish terms?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

- Clovis is a pretty strange name for a woman. Could it be a reference to something?
Only thing I cna think of is Saki. Not exactly noir.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

- Considering how dark his skin is and his family name, it seems likely that Kalou is intended to be Sephardic. Would such a person living in 1940s Los Angeles be likely to use so many Yiddish terms?

If he was seriously a Sephardic Jew, it seems doubtful that he'd be throwing Yiddish around like that as he'd be from a group that speaks Judeo-Spanish. That said, I'm willing to bet that he really was meant to just be Ashkenazi and his skin tone and last name weren't intentionally emphasizing anything Sephardic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm not sure anyone in the United States actually knows that Ashkenazi and Jewish are not entirely synonymous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure anyone in the United States actually knows that Ashkenazi and Jewish are not entirely synonymous.

LA Noire was made by an Australian studio, so I think any minor mix-ups in all the various flavors of Jewish are understandable since they only make up about 0.5% of the population there.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The game was developed in Australia, though.

Edit: beaten.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm reasonably certain the developers found a list of obscure American names, because they're only going to get more unusual from here.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I really wish they'd share that list.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm reasonably certain the developers found a list of obscure American names, because they're only going to get more unusual from here.

You know, I appreciate that, I think it gives the game a little verisimilitude to have people with unusual names. Watching the sleeping_dogs LP, most of the names of random passerby that came up were mash-ups of pretty common first and last surnames, giving a weird homogeneity to the bystanders.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

I've been wondering about some name choices, too.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Are you going to do the DLC's as they fall into the main story or wait to do them at the end? A lot of them are cut content from the main game due to LA Noire's troubled development.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Are you going to do the DLC's as they fall into the main story or wait to do them at the end? A lot of them are cut content from the main game due to LA Noire's troubled development.

They're slotted into the game naturally as part of the complete edition; you won't even be able to tell that they're DLC unless you look it up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's one or two that are fairly jarring in the plot progression. Nicholson Electroplating has an amazing introduction and set piece, but it should really be in a better place than where it is.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

They're slotted into the game naturally as part of the complete edition; you won't even be able to tell that they're DLC unless you look it up.

Or you bought used and had to get them manually.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
"Why isn't the ambulance here yet?" - Bobbin Threadbare, 20 seconds after gunshots were heard.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jade Star posted:

"Why isn't the ambulance here yet?" - Bobbin Threadbare, 20 seconds after gunshots were heard.
Hey, this is the game where a girl with a phone book finds specific people and businesses in under 10 seconds based on vague descriptions.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Jade Star posted:

The police were there, plus no matter how long you spend the ambulance NEVER ARRIVES. I can understand Bobbin pointing it out.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America didn't even really have an emergency medical system in place until the 1970s, all the ambulance would have done was take the bodies to the morgue. There wasn't any hurry for them to get there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

America didn't even really have an emergency medical system in place until the 1970s, all the ambulance would have done was take the bodies to the morgue. There wasn't any hurry for them to get there.

You have to admit that's still depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

You have to admit that's still depressing.

This reminds me, watching old movies I can't help but laugh at the bizarre phone codes they always tell the operator when they pick up the handset.

• Locked thread