Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Glad to see Bobbin is making an LP of this - it should be excellent as usual. LA Noire is flawed but on the whole I enjoyed it and glad I bought it. I'm tempted to get the PC version just to play through the DLC since I heard it was pretty good. I've heard rumors as to all the cuts that were made, including the Bunco desk. It's one of those "what might have been" games.

Spatula City posted:

oh man I'm excited for perpetual Film Corner. I actually took a community college class on noir a long time ago, it was great.
I'm assuming the next one is The Maltese Falcon, but then there's a couple of others that are almost mandatory. Obviously LA Confidential (Bobbin you should also mention the book and Ellroy's work a little bit), but also Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Double Indemnity, and The Big Sleep.

Also Chinatown and Touch of Evil. Arguably The Big Lebowski which has a classic noir plot but characters who think they are in another type of movie. Maybe he'll also cover The Big Sleep and Bobbin can finally tell us who killed the chauffeur :argh:

(Speaking on Lebowski, the Coens have made a lot of neo-noir. Blood Simple, The Man Who Wasn't There, Miller's Crossing, all qualify in my book.)

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I think we can all agree Rusty is the best partner, right?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

I'm a bit confused by the exact sequence of events for the murder. How did he manage to get hit by the vehicle if he was already dead when it happened, and wouldn't the witness have seen the actual murder take place?

He gets stabbed in the alleyway where the knife is found, staggers (and probably was pushed) towards the street presumably looking for help. He may not have been literally dead yet when the car hit him, but he was already fatally wounded with the heart puncture wound. Witnesses wouldn't have seen anything since it happened in the alley.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

The best part of the $20 controversy is that not only did Jackson despise paper money and the idea of a national bank, he was a crazy violent racist who openly advocated genocide.

But the true travesty is replacing him with a national hero.

The best part is actually that they were going to get rid of Alexander Hamilton on the $10 but then a popular musical made that an unpopular choice. Nobody really cared about taking Mr. Trail of Tears off the currency until then.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Hamilton would have been a bad choice to remove anyway, since he's basically the father of our banking system. He may have been obscure before the musical, but he deserves to be on there as much as Washington.

Those are good reasons to keep him on the $10 but they had nothing to do with it. The only reason they replaced Jackson was because everyone else is either untouchable (Washington, Lincoln, even Jefferson) or not a common bill like the $50 (Grant I think, which may have caused a shitstorm.)

It would have been interesting to see them try to get people using the dollar coin again. Maybe make it the size of the half dollar which nobody uses anyway. I have a few of the Eisenhower dollar coins, they are beasts.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inferior posted:

I seem to remember that the Burglary desk was originally going to have its own cases, but they got dropped when Rockstar HQ started demanding the developers finish the drat game already. The time compression is pretty crazy though.

Not just that, Phelps' desk partner from burglary shows up a few times in the game.

http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/Harold_Caldwell

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

davidspackage posted:

The constant choosing of the Lie option and backing out is hilarious.

"I'm just doing my job. You understand that." sounds like he's trying to pull a Jedi mind trick ("these are not the droids you are looking for.")

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Once more, I am super glad at your taste in music because maaaan my face just lights up everytime I hear Shadow Hearts music in some way or other. :haw: D.O.A sounds a pretty bizarre movie, I never expected a movie with a plot like that in the days before Alfred Hitchcock at least. But drat it sounds interesting, I might wanna check that one out.

D.O.A. is great, but Hitchcock had already been directing some of his best work before 1950 - notably Notorious, but I'm a big fan of Rope (which was kind of the Birdman of its time - shot in several takes but spliced together to form one continuous shot.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why is there police corruption in my film noir video game?

Next thing you know, my fantasy game will have swords and dragons.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

I have zero idea what LA Confidential is, but Donnelly always struck me as nothing more than a massive cliche. He was my least favorite character when I played for that reason alone.

LA Confidential (the movie) is one of the best examples of neo-noir, and you should see it. LA Confidential (the novel) is by James Ellroy who is pretty much the best crime writer today, and a lot of his stuff is steeped in classic noir like this, including LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia. I have a soft spot for American Tabloid, which while not strictly noir is great if the secret history of US spooks and thugs from the late '50s until Kennedy gets shot appeals to you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LivesInGrey posted:

If I've said this before, forgive me.

I'm a bit confused by the desk order. Modern American police hierarchy appears to have Homicide at the top of the peak with Narcotics and Vice a little below and all other divisions way below. So why does Cole go immediately from traffic to homicide?

Phelps went to Burglary first, the game briefly mentions that. Coincidentally there is a Burglary detective that shows up a few times in the game, voiced by Brandon "Garrus" Keener, so there's some speculation that Burglary was a cut desk and Keener's character was supposed to be your partner.

Homicide may be more prolific, but Vice is up there and Phelps also moved to a much more high profile part of town.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Crossfire looks like a good movie; Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame from In A Lonely Place and directed by Edward Dmytryk of The Caine Mutiny fame (which also has one of Fred MacMurray's best performances.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

The reason dollar coins never take off is because people treat them like a collectors item or a novelty, and hang on to them. Then once the mint realizes that they aren't circulating like other coins do, they stop production until the next time they decide to try the idea. The solution is to just stick with it until people get used to using them, but, well :shrug:

The older dollar coins (Morgan, Peace, Eisenhower) are pretty big - 38mm or 1.5 inches. Not an issue in a purse, maybe, but they kill a wallet. The newer ones are almost the same size as a quarter and resulted in a lot of confusion - every once in a while I'll still get an Anthony instead of a quarter.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

I get it now.

Detective Roy, in Vice.

"Vice Roy".

Not quite Roy Earle-ty.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I have a feeling that the "Cole is having an affair with Elsa" storyline is something that was in the cut Burglary desk - we meet Elsa immediately after Cole's transfer out of Traffic. More of a longshot but I'd also speculate that we'd have been investigating the robbery of the Coleridge as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I tried a mosquito coil once while camping and it did poo poo. Bug zappers are more effective and also provide endless entertainment (especially when it gets a big one.)

Delacroix posted:

I know they wanted Biggs to be the old loner cop so he couldn't be a WWII soldier but Keith Szarabajka has a good set of lungs from all the yelling he did in Company of Heroes. Coincidentally another game with Brandon Keener in the cast (who most people recognise as Garrus in Mass Effect).

Szarabajka was also the voice of Harbinger. And apparently the Nug Wranger in DA:O as well, I hated that sidequest :argh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Biggs gets around. He was also a cop in the second Nolan Batman movie.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Except that they were supposedly ready to move into when the fire happened. If people had actually moved in, they would have quickly discovered how shoddy the construction is. Seems like this fire was meant to both prevent such a discovery and claim insurance payouts for the buildings.

The insurance company is supposed to be profiting from the scam as well, but if the land has been devalued because the shoddy house burned down, then wouldn't the scam almost not be financially worth it? Why bother building the houses in the first place? Eminent domain takings are usually not at the best rates or impacting parties who would rather not sell, at least from following the Kelo case that happened a while back.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

But when you have that many people in on it, it would be nigh-impossible to keep it secret. And, of course, there is the question of why anyone thought it would be a good idea to have a mentally ill war veteran commit arson on their behalf instead of hiring a more stable gangster to do the job.

Also a crazy firebug. And if you have that many people on the conspiracy that are already on the payroll, what's a few cops more? Phelps is a self-righteous rear end in a top hat but offering to sweep the whole adultery thing under the rug and let him catch killers would have been tempting even for him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Notes:

- The exploded factory is based around a real industrial accident that took place in February of 1947.

Was there some sort of link between the 1947project people and the LA Noire developers? Did they hire someone in LA to dig up real-life crimes that could serve as case inspiration? Or did the game writers troll the blog for fun?

Now that the DLC is finally over - I suppose the placement here was due in part to the desire of the publisher to rip off cases for DLC, and the inability to remove certain cases that were tied to a story arc (all of Homicide and most of Arson), but it really demonstrates how gutted Vice and even Traffic feel with two cases removed from each. I don't think there was ever a "good" place to put Nicholson Electroplating - originally it's late in the game and is really jarring as Bobbin points out, but I'm not sure if it would have been all that much better earlier in Arson. Phelps is supposed to keep his head down, and while a bunch of housefires will keep him moderately busy, a high-profile building explosion (complete with TV coverage!) isn't something I'd see the higher-ups be happy about even if they still consider him a good case man. Then the mission goes off the rails with Phelps shooting at Army troops because.

Last any bets on the three movies left in Bobbin's catalogue? Next time is definitely Chinatown; I believe he mentioned LA Confidential on the list. The Coens keep doing neo-noir so maybe one of their titles?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
This is the part of the game where you have to turn your brain off because it just stops making sense. The film may not even be the worst offender. Do they think none of the construction workers is going to get drunk and blab about the bad lumber being used to build GI homes?

edit: also who exactly was the film made for and why do they have a fancy projector with it in a dilapidated movie studio lot complete with couches that look like they were picked up from the streets of the local U on moving day?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 6, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Everything I know about DA Investigators comes from "Law and Order: Trial By Jury." RIP Jerry Orbach :smith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

It's kinda why the affair subplot falls so flat, because it doesn't really jibe with the rest of his character, unless you take it as a sign of self-sabotage. Cole doesn't think he's a hero, so he does something decidedly unheroic. Or it's just bad writing

Bad writing. We saw Cole's wife briefly in the opening credits but it's not like anyone remembered her since his family wasn't even mentioned for most of the game. I think the only scenes between Cole and Elsa before the reveal was Earle's introduction, and a brief shot of him at the club. So even when you find out he's been sleeping with Elsa, it's entirely possible that you've forgotten that he's even married. And then they have zero chemistry anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Great LP, Bobbin. It's really interesting watch a playthrough of a game like this, with so many weird flaws, and yet alive with ideas and possible innovations. It's a shame it's probably a dead end and nothing will take cues from it. I'd love to see a refinement of its ideas and gameplay.

Also, L.A. Confidential is dope, both the book and the movie, although the book has some very strange plotlines that the movie wisely excised. but Ellroy is a magnificent writer with a tremendous sense of place, and a remarkable ability to make even total shitheels compelling and sympathetic.

One thing worth mentioning is that L.A. Confidential is the third novel in James Ellroy's "L.A. Quartet". The first was The Black Dahlia, which we've talked about, to some extent. The second was The Big Nowhere, which introduced the character of Dudley Smith, and featured a character named "Buzz Meeks" as the protagonist. So the name was reused for the movie of LA Confidential in a somewhat different context. In the novel of L.A. Confidential, Dudley Smith avoids prosecution for his crimes, and he's brought down in the final book in the L.A. Quartet, White Jazz, by Exley, who became deputy chief of the LAPD as a result of the Nite Owl case's resolution.

Ellroy has just started a second L.A. Quartet, with Perfidia, which is set around when Pearl Harbor happened, and features a younger Dudley Smith as one of the characters.

One L.A. Confidential connection that really stuck out to me from this game is that in mannerisms, Cole's boss at the Homicide desk is really reminiscent of James Cromwell's portrayal of Dudley Smith in the film.

There's also the Underworld USA Trilogy, which takes place after the L.A. Quartet and features a few characters from that series, notably Pete Bondurant from White Jazz. In fact, the opening of the first book of that trilogy, American Tabloid, reminds me of Bobbin's discussion about the "celebration of the renegade":

quote:

America was never innocent. We popped our cherry on the boat over and looked back with no regrets. You can’t ascribe our fall from grace to any single event or set of circumstances. You can’t lose what you lacked at conception.

Mass-market nostalgia gets you hopped up for a past that never existed. Hagiography sanctifies shuck-and-jive politicians and reinvents their expedient gestures as moments of great moral weight. Our continuing narrative line is blurred past truth and hindsight. Only a reckless verisimilitude can set that line straight.

The real Trinity of Camelot was Look Good, Kick rear end, Get Laid. Jack Kennedy was the mythological front man for a particularly juicy slice of our history. He talked a slick line and wore a world-class haircut. He was Bill Clinton minus pervasive media scrutiny and a few rolls of flab.

Jack got whacked at the optimum moment to assure his sainthood. Lies continue to swirl around his eternal flame. It’s time to dislodge his urn and cast light on a few men who attended his ascent and facilitated his fall.

They were rogue cops and shakedown artists. They were wiretappers and soldiers of fortune and human being lounge entertainers. Had one second of their lives deviated off course, American History would not exist as we know it.

It’s time to demythologize an era and build a new myth from the gutter to the stars. It’s time to embrace bad men and the price they paid to secretly define their time.

Here’s to them.

Ellroy is a fantastic writer.

As an aside, I was reading an article about the real Ray Pinker, and it mentioned that in the late '40s there was a pretty famous Irishman, Jack Donahoe, who ran Robbery-Homicide for LAPD. I'm assuming both Dudley Smith and James Donnelly are based on him.

• Locked thread