Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone seen the speedrun of tw1? It's incredibly stupid and goes for about a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I didn't expect them to release another game after Raven's Cry

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

chaos rhames posted:

Has anyone seen the speedrun of tw1? It's incredibly stupid and goes for about a minute.

This one?

So he somehow got the final boss to this dump with a dozen armed dudes and they just ganged up on him, huh?

Okay this one is 13 seconds slower but has (amazing) commentary. That is indeed what happens.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This one?

So he somehow got the final boss to this dump with a dozen armed dudes and they just ganged up on him, huh?

Okay this one is 13 seconds slower but has (amazing) commentary. That is indeed what happens.

Well that guy's channel is beautiful. Guess I have something to peruse for the next day or so.

Also the 45 villager beat down of the final boss of a RPG will never not be funny. Turns out teamwork beats tracking down a generic team of heroes to do the job for you!

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 29, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

I thought people hated Two Worlds and II, this all sounds awesome :allears:

I can't speak for #2 but while the original game is poorly designed and put together, this lack of quality makes it a really great game for goofing around in an open world. There's also next to no consequence for dying or loving up a quest, as there are numerous respawn shrines peppered around the world that will full-heal you when you get close to them (these are also great ways to deal with tough enemies). In a weird way it's one of the most sandbox-y open world RPGs I've played, because despite being broken the game doesn't really "break" if you try to do something you're not supposed to do. And if it breaks zthe game just kind of keeps going.

Also the PC says hilariously inappropriate things at times, especially during combat. Though this misses the classic "Ah, bandits!" you get when rolling up on a pack of wolves.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 29, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like that they put out a GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION for Two Worlds 2 because they realized nobody could actually stop them

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I like that they put out a GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION for Two Worlds 2 because they realized nobody could actually stop them

Funny story, it's now just the Velvet Edition because someone pointed out they didn't actually win any GOTY awards.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

"Fight so dirty not even Mike Rowe would wipe his rear end with it."

I hope he made all these one liners up himself. Subscribed to his channel.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
2 worlds 2 had mp? :psyduck:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

C-Euro posted:

Also the PC says hilariously inappropriate things at times, especially during combat. Though this misses the classic "Ah, bandits!" you get when rolling up on a pack of wolves.

Twoworldsman not having the evilest voice in the world (and instead going for a lame Solid Snake impression) was like the biggest reason 2 was not that enjoyable.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
The thing that really sold me on the first Two Worlds was relatively early on; in the same vein as "AH, BANDITS" while getting eaten by wolves, I hit a rabbit to see if the critters could be targeted. Turns out they could, and then dude just gleefully intones "Say hello...TO DEATH"

It's the little things in life, really

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Action Tortoise posted:

It was pretty awesome from what I barely remember of it, actually. Like, a MMO in an open world basically. Except it was just as broken and sandbox as Two Worlds so you could summon up armies of minions as a mage and all sorts of other crazy stuff.

Also it totally didn't have leveled zones. So you could walk outside, find some bandits camping a road, veer off it to avoid them, see a cave, and get smashed by a level 50 troll or something.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Two Worlds II - I wanted to be a racehorse

Archonex posted:

It was pretty awesome from what I barely remember of it, actually. Like, a MMO in an open world basically. Except it was just as broken and sandbox as Two Worlds so you could summon up armies of minions as a mage and all sorts of other crazy stuff.

Also it totally didn't have leveled zones. So you could walk outside, find some bandits camping a road, veer off it to avoid them, see a cave, and get smashed by a level 50 troll or something.

From what I remember, you had your own town thing you could build up and there were 'missions' you could run with other players, not any sort of open world multiplayer.

Danith fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 29, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
How is this whole thing not a joke?

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Two Worlds 2 was a better game and because of that was actually a worse game because the fun of Two Worlds was how completely hosed it was.
This is true, Two Worlds 2 was a massive disappointment. But Raven's Cry marked a return to form, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Wizard Styles posted:

How is this whole thing not a joke?

Because it turns out that there actually is a just and loving god, it's just that the thing he loves are bad video games, and hell, me too.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I never played 1, but Two Worlds 2 was legitimately one of the best RPGs I've played. Not story-wise, but gameplay-wise, yeah, great game.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Wizard Styles posted:

This is true, Two Worlds 2 was a massive disappointment. But Raven's Cry marked a return to form, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I skipped TW2 because everyone said it was disappointingly and blandly competent but reading this thread now brings back joyous memories of the original and now I kinda want to pick up the sequel in a future sale. I'm sure it's not that competent... I'd get Raven's Cry but it's somehow $50; I guess they relaunched it with a new name and some bug fixes? Oh well.

I'll definitely play TW3 if it can match the original in carefree idiocy, though I feel a little bad for hoping Reality Pump make an unintentionally dumb game.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

grate deceiver posted:

I just bought both Two Worlds for like 3$ on Steam, wow that's like, less than a dollar per world. Is it any good, what should I do?

refund it and grab this for cheaper
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/rpg-champions-bundle

e: looks like thats what you did lol

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Oh hey, Gorky 17's a part of that bundle; that was like, an okay game at the time.

Shima Honnou posted:

Because it turns out that there actually is a just and loving god, it's just that the thing he loves are bad video games, and hell, me too.
Two Worlds just had everything that makes a bad game great. Voice acting, story, some bizarre quests, THE TAINT.
And about a million ways to break it.

I hope they pull that off again. :allears:

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 29, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

C-Euro posted:

I can't speak for #2 but while the original game is poorly designed and put together, this lack of quality makes it a really great game for goofing around in an open world. There's also next to no consequence for dying or loving up a quest, as there are numerous respawn shrines peppered around the world that will full-heal you when you get close to them (these are also great ways to deal with tough enemies). In a weird way it's one of the most sandbox-y open world RPGs I've played, because despite being broken the game doesn't really "break" if you try to do something you're not supposed to do. And if it breaks zthe game just kind of keeps going.

I found that TW2 was just competent enough to be boring and thus bad, instead of just funny-bad like TW1. I managed to make the protagonist look like the Point Man from FEAR 3 though, so that's pretty funny.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Archonex posted:

Danith posted:

From what I remember, you had your own town thing you could build up and there were 'missions' you could run with other players, not any sort of open world multiplayer.

these both sound extremely epic. is it still going or is it a ghost town nowadays?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Every time i hear this game's name i'm reminded of that insane goon two worlds and originally thought he had taken his name and entire worldview from this. It doesn't sound like i was too far off.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Reality Pump studios

Orv
May 4, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Dog Fat Man Chaser and I realized we had characters from it for some reason, so we checked out the PvP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVirXEhF6JU

Quality video gaming.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh my god that second mode

Somewhere, there is a human being that has played that over 2,300 times.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You only get glimpses of it while we're actively "in town" but there were in excess of ten people in town at all times at 2-3AM EST and at least twenty games running as well. Most people only spoke in a language that had a mark above every single letter and there were several 100+ characters around, including a shirtless wizard of 300 levels.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Orv posted:

You only get glimpses of it while we're actively "in town" but there were in excess of ten people in town at all times at 2-3AM EST and at least twenty games running as well. Most people only spoke in a language that had a mark above every single letter and there were several 100+ characters around, including a shirtless wizard of 300 levels.

It's basically the trailer park version of a MMO and it's hilarious. It comes across as a sort of half remembered fever dream to me since FORSOOTH THE TAINT CLAIMED ME the idea of it having MP was so bizarre and I was barely paying attention to it at the time.

I have no clue if they patched it to be more balanced and sane from how it was at release but it was amazingly broken at times. Running around as a shirtless muscle wizard that summons up and acts as an overlord of armies of demons or what the gently caress ever and exploding poo poo with your fists/sword/hammer was great fun. And i'm almost sure not one bit of the insanity was intended.

I think it had a level sort of design where you choose an area to go too, but it's been so long that I barely remember. If it was I think the size of them made it seem like it was more like a MMO zone in size.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 30, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Orv posted:

Dog Fat Man Chaser and I realized we had characters from it for some reason, so we checked out the PvP.

Quality video gaming.

i want a superhero game with those running and cape animations so bad right now.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I think we both reflexively :stare:'d when we opened the ladder menu and saw those numbers.

the mp co-op is unfortunately just chunks of the world. It's not open-world really; you log into a small town, the town served as a lobby to launch games. PvE games launch just like PvP in that video, a room is made, people join, you launch. In 1, you're dropped into a small part of the larger game world and do quests in that area. Do enough, get the next region. In 2, it's just linear missions, one directed quest that you finish and quit back to town from a menu from. It's slightly less open than 1, but really both are linear little co-op things, not actual multiplayer worlds.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 30, 2016

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
*kills badger*

heh... tha'z rich.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We determined that he was trying to do Elias Toufexis before anyone knew who that was.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Two Worlds Two was a miles better game than Gothic 3, a game where you'd be stunlocked to death by a boar within 5 minutes of playing.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I am going to install Two Worlds 1 now, all I know is the beginning is hard and that you can take every katana and turn them into a weapon that oneshots the final boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spergminer posted:

I am going to install Two Worlds 1 now, all I know is the beginning is hard and that you can take every katana and turn them into a weapon that oneshots the final boss.

This is true, except you use a lovely club instead.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

This is true, except you use a lovely club instead.

I found a club with 33-42 base damage on the first grome I killed and a 20% spirit gem. Magic also seems like it could become overpowered really fast.
It's like a worse, but much more interesting Skyrim so far.

I don't know what all the pentagram altars and malign shrines do, but I guess they're used in a quest later on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Action Tortoise posted:

Two Worlds 1 did as well, didn't it?

In TW1 there was a skill you could use that would dismount cavalry and do damage to them. Except there was not a single mounted NPC in the entire game. I think it was a skill meant only for multiplayer.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

theultimo posted:

refund it and grab this for cheaper
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/rpg-champions-bundle

e: looks like thats what you did lol

It was a Steam bundle with only the four worlds, but if I can get another dollar off and a Gorky 17, sure, why not.

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015

Orv posted:

Quality video gaming.

That didn't look half bad. Maybe it was the cape that hypnotized me.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Two Worlds 3: Too Many Worlds.

Two Worlds 3: Do You Believe In Miracles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spergminer posted:

I found a club with 33-42 base damage on the first grome I killed and a 20% spirit gem. Magic also seems like it could become overpowered really fast.
It's like a worse, but much more interesting Skyrim so far.

I don't know what all the pentagram altars and malign shrines do, but I guess they're used in a quest later on.

Don't remember much about the pentagrams, but the Maliel(?) shrines are those ankh-looking ones and they are respawn points and will auto-heal you when you get close.

As far as the start of the game, talk to the dude outside the village who gives you the teleport stone. Also you might want to look up where the skill trainers are, as some skills are locked until you talk to certain NPCs to unlock them.

• Locked thread