Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh man you just finished A Horse and His Boy. It was a great story but the portrayal of the Calormen people was an unflattering caricature of Muslims. What should be done about this?

Should you warn other people not to read the book?
No because it's a great book and everyone should read it.

Should you recommend the book but warn the prospective reader that there are some racially insensitive elements?
Why would you do this? If you think the person might be turned off the book by your warning, why did you recommend it, and if you don't think they'll care, then why warn them?
Pretty much the only reason to even bring it up is in a pathetic attempt to distance yourself from the problematic aspects of the book. Congratulations you are a coward.

Should you write to the publisher and tell them to Bowdlerize the offending passages?
Sure and while you're at it why not just get all your like-minded friends together for a good old fashioned book burning?

Should you endeavor to recognize and confront prejudice in your own life so that you don't perpetuate it in your words and deeds?
You should already be doing this I don't see what it has to do with C.S. Lewis.

Like, I understand that it's important to recognize prejudice in fiction but, having recognized it, I don't really see any practical application of this knowledge. I get it that art is not immune from criticism but where do you go from there? Is it just criticism for the sake of criticism?

I dunno maybe some goons can enlighten me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
You left out two options.

Tell people to read it

Don't tell people to read it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

You left out two options.

Tell people to read it

Don't tell people to read it

Those are both covered by my first two options.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
a book cant be racist what the hell man ive seen the pagemaster dont gently caress with me on this

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shaquin posted:

a book cant be racist what the hell man ive seen the pagemaster dont gently caress with me on this

The Frankenstein book was ableist.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hp livecraft wrote racist books and he was a perfectly well adjusted gentleman what are you getting at op?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My point is lol if you reject a book for its racist content and if racism alone isn't sufficient grounds to reject a book then why bother bringing it up?

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
lewis carrol was such afuckin racist in his alice books, what kind of bullshit was that caterpillar hookah, right?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i need to read the shadow over innsmouth again, thanks op

edit: gently caress: beaten:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I grew up thinking swarthy meant something kinda grody or malformed maybe but nope just means dark, thanks j.r.r. (^=

that said LOTR is what inspired me to believe in fantasticies and retreat into a made up world of magick awesomeness whenever poo poo got too real so what's a lil casual racism if it means saving me from adulthood and letting me be a stunted used tissue of a person FOREVER

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

lonesomedwarf posted:

i need to read the shadow over innsmouth again, thanks op

get on the new weird via ligotti or laird or else hit chambers or blackwood or aikman if you insist on the classics

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
lovecraft was trash in his own time and its not his fault he had to write to eat so everything is written for pulp serials and garbage

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I'm too white to care.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Shaquin posted:

get on the new weird via ligotti or laird or else hit chambers or blackwood or aikman if you insist on the classics

ive read a little blackwood but didnt get into it. i havent heard of the others except maybe ligotti anyway ill put those names into a text file on the desktop and probably forget to look at it again so thanks

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
No, I simply jerk off to the racism.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

lonesomedwarf posted:

ive read a little blackwood but didnt get into it. i havent heard of the others except maybe ligotti anyway ill put those names into a text file on the desktop and probably forget to look at it again so thanks

http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot.com/ its a spread pattern but the man knows his poo poo

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Spell out 'Problematic' in a bowl of alphabet soup and stare at it until the situation resolves itself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

book racist, so what?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Joust posted:

Spell out 'Problematic' in a bowl of alphabet soup and stare at it until the situation resolves itself.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im calling for a day of protest and mayhem

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

dad gay. so what posted:

im calling for a day of protest and mayhem

I second this motion.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Yay for reanimator, for making a black guy sound like a wild ape. Oh and Lovecraft calling his cat Niggerman.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

why would anyone read a book :confused:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Oh and Lovecraft calling his cat Niggerman.

this was an incredibly common name for black cats at the time actually

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

He was an indescribable cyclopean eldritch noneuclidean cat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Gatekeeper posted:

I grew up thinking swarthy meant something kinda grody or malformed maybe but nope just means dark, thanks j.r.r. (^=

that said LOTR is what inspired me to believe in fantasticies and retreat into a made up world of magick awesomeness whenever poo poo got too real so what's a lil casual racism if it means saving me from adulthood and letting me be a stunted used tissue of a person FOREVER

I always thought swarthy meant a hairy pale skinned man, like an Italian or an Arab.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Should you recommend the book but warn the prospective reader that there are some racially insensitive elements?
Why would you do this? If you think the person might be turned off the book by your warning, why did you recommend it, and if you don't think they'll care, then why warn them?
Pretty much the only reason to even bring it up is in a pathetic attempt to distance yourself from the problematic aspects of the book. Congratulations you are a coward.

Guess I'm a coward then.

In my eyes, it's morso telling the person you're suggesting the book to that the book is good in spite of its problematic elements.

It's like when I recommend Dune and warn the person that it doesn't pick up till about 1/3 of the way in. I don't need to distance myself from Herbert's failure to get the ball rolling for so long; it's that I've had more than one slow reader ask me when the drat book I recommended starts getting to the interesting parts.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
burn all books

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Decon posted:

It's like when I recommend Dune and warn the person that it doesn't pick up till about 1/3 of the way in.

lmao

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
If you still read books written by men or white people you are part of the problem

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

go left

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
check rear end

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Nauta posted:

burn all books

i like your swerve, but this wont work.

i think through natural selection books have evolved to be burn resistant. theyre now electronic and in the cloud, which is non flammable iirc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried reading heart of darkness when i was in college. unfortunately i chose to read it in the cafeteria and even more unfortunately they were having a black history month event there that day. it isnt like anyone confronted me about it. it was just very uncomfortable to try to read such a racist book while a lady was talking on a microphone about how racism was bad.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

books are the original dank memes.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

Yay for reanimator, for making a black guy sound like a wild ape. Oh and Lovecraft calling his cat Niggerman.

Victor LaValle talks about being conflicted as a young fan of Lovecraft.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/29/468558238/the-ballad-of-black-tom-offers-a-tribute-and-critique-of-lovecraft

In "The Ballad of Black Tom," he revisits "The Horror of Red Hook," but tells the story from the perspective a young black con-artist from Harlem.

Racism and existential horror work really well together!

E: I guess what I'm saying OP is you should write another book that can stand on its own but also subverts the themes of the original.

Andenno fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 29, 2016

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
It's okay if your book is racist as long as the movie adaptation replaces a white character with a black one and sneaks in a scene where they talk about how great the Koran is.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Put it back on the shelf and pick up another great book, like a collection of Joel Chandler Harris stories.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I don't understand why people can't appreciate The Turner Diaries for it's exceptional world building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Sweet Meat
Apr 10, 2007
Should I just mark it as "Read" in goodreads and give it a 3?

• Locked thread