Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Mein kampf was pretty racist but it's still a good read and I recommend it to everyone:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
C.S. Lewis wrote a really good essay on the perils of moral relativism called the abolition of man. Actually the first part and the third part aren't good, but the second part is really solid and completely changed my mind on the topic. I have since changed my mind back and disagree with it again, but if you are a moral relativist like me, I highly recommend it. It probably has some racist parts too, I don't remember.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

bible was p racist

kinda makes you think

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
racism is real

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

how does informing someone that theres racist poo poo in a book but its a good book anyway make you a coward thats straight retarded

"eyah this thing isn't perfect but its pretty good"

"oh it's not perfect!?!?! u coward!"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the last blatantly racist book i read was The Good Soldier Svejk and i still tell people to read it because its still a good book. i mean its from the recently ex-austro-hungarian empire in the 20's so of course its going to be racist

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm too white to care.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i dont give a gently caress what anybody says i like hp lovecraft

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
The book you just finsihed was papist. Now what?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Lol if you read any books whatsoever.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

after finishing such a book i would probably immediately go out and commit a racism. i mean lets be real we all would, we know how influential these books are

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

lewis carrol was such afuckin racist in his alice books, what kind of bullshit was that caterpillar hookah, right?

this unfair stereotype of drug users is highly offensive to Chemotropic Americans

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i would tell my friend n***** jim, he is a good guy, but his name is racist as h*ck

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Applewhite posted:

My point is lol if you reject a book for its racist content and if racism alone isn't sufficient grounds to reject a book then why bother bringing it up?

Good question why did you bring it up? you usually post good, what happened

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I would recommend but tell them it's not as good as the Uncle Remus books.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Untill the 60s it was fashionable to be racist, the further back you go, the more blatant prejudice was accepted. Catholics and protestants hated each other, Irish, Italians and polish weren't considered white, so if a book from 100 years ago is racist, that's normal, and no one gives a poo poo.
Historical context stupid.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

after finishing such a book i would probably immediately go out and commit a racism. i mean lets be real we all would, we know how influential these books are

i could see how an inferior slovakian brain would lead you to think this.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
If you acknowledge the racism of things you consume, you're probably less likely to one day casually start talking about the swarthy mussulmen who work at that diner downtown

Or you'll just do it ironically, whatever, but you'll know

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

C.S. Lewis wrote a really good essay on the perils of moral relativism called the abolition of man. Actually the first part and the third part aren't good, but the second part is really solid and completely changed my mind on the topic. I have since changed my mind back and disagree with it again, but if you are a moral relativist like me, I highly recommend it. It probably has some racist parts too, I don't remember.

I love his essays they are great.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Profondo Rosso posted:

how does informing someone that theres racist poo poo in a book but its a good book anyway make you a coward thats straight retarded

"eyah this thing isn't perfect but its pretty good"

"oh it's not perfect!?!?! u coward!"

Yeah I was exaggerating for comedic effect because this is GBS. The truth is, as always, somewhere in the middle.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Mark Twain owns even though he used the parlance of his time, you triggered babies

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

Good question why did you bring it up? you usually post good, what happened

Can't win 'em all I guess.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The answer I think is quite simple: accept the author's racism as a facet of their antiquated worldview. If you like the book, recommend it to others.

E: have you considered that you may actually be more racist than you thought

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

The answer I think is quite simple: accept the author's racism as a facet of their antiquated worldview. If you like the book, recommend it to others.

E: have you considered that you may actually be more racist than you thought

By definition I wouldn't be able to tell, now would I?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
maybe a book is racist but can a Kindle be? checkmate, OP :smug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Earwicker posted:

the last blatantly racist book i read was The Good Soldier Svejk and i still tell people to read it because its still a good book. i mean its from the recently ex-austro-hungarian empire in the 20's so of course its going to be racist

Wait what was so racist about Svejk? Granted I've read a translation but all I remember are ironic European national stereotypes, nothing racist about calling kraut a kraut.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I want to recommend this book but it's not readily apparent to anyone who knows me that I am not racist. I'd better mention the racisms and make a big point of saying that I don't like them, just to be sure that everyone knows that I'm not racist. Because I'm genuinely worried people might think that about me. For some reason.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Skeleton Ape posted:

I want to recommend this book but it's not readily apparent to anyone who knows me that I am not racist. I'd better mention the racisms and make a big point of saying that I don't like them, just to be sure that everyone knows that I'm not racist. Because I'm genuinely worried people might think that about me. For some reason.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I was exaggerating for comedic effect

How daer yuo. I'll have you know that engaging on forums in extreme sincerity about inconsequential topics like book suggestions or butts in video games is the highest form of intellectual pursuits.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait what was so racist about Svejk? Granted I've read a translation but all I remember are ironic European national stereotypes, nothing racist about calling kraut a kraut.

the depiction of Jews in the book would be considered pretty racist by todays standards, both in the text and the original drawings that accompanied it

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I like to keep up on racist propaganda. Its good to know what the enemy is thinking, and plus you can see the origin of all the new racist memes.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Skeleton Ape posted:

you can replace "racism" with literally anything and this is a big dumb baby view point to hold. "yeah this book is good, but its a mystery novel" doesn't mean "dont read it because its a mystery omg dont judge me for liking books with mysteries in it!!/11" it's just mentioning a facet of the book and allowing the potential reader to judge for themselves whether they want to read it (because you are not the ultimate arbiter on what books other people want to read).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Profondo Rosso posted:

you can replace "racism" with literally anything and this is a big dumb baby view point to hold. "yeah this book is good, but its a mystery novel" doesn't mean "dont read it because its a mystery" it's just mentioning a facet of the book and allowing the potential reader to judge for themselves whether they want to read it (because you are not the ultimate arbiter on what books other people want to read).

If you replace the word "book" in your post with "helicopter" then your entire statement becomes incoherent.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Profondo Rosso posted:

you can replace "racism" with literally anything and this is a big dumb baby view point to hold. "yeah this book is good, but its a mystery novel" doesn't mean "dont read it because its a mystery omg dont judge me for liking books with mysteries in it!!/11" it's just mentioning a facet of the book and allowing the potential reader to judge for themselves whether they want to read it (because you are not the ultimate arbiter on what books other people want to read).

Racist.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

when i recommend a book to someone i mention nothing beyond the type face of the title, because anything else might unfairly bias there view towards the novel.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Profondo Rosso posted:

when i recommend a book to someone i mention nothing beyond the type face of the title, because anything else might unfairly bias there view towards the novel.

this is a good book really but, just so you know, the title is in comic sans

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I don't read anymore because I don't have a reading chart with smiley stickers on it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Profondo Rosso posted:

This but unironically and also not the typeface.
When pressed, I will give up the genre.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
I would say to them, to close my recommendation, "hey bud this book is a little racist but that's the least of your worries because they're putting chemicals in the water that's turning the fricken frogs gay. Infowars.com"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Profondo Rosso posted:

Psst, some people are so insecure that it colors their judgment on everything in weird ways like this and big surprise much of the time these people turn out to be pseudo intellectuals that need everyone to know how many books they read. But I'm sure trying to defend this will convince everyone and not just expose you as one of them.

Great, seriousposting in a GBS book thread welp :suicide:

• Locked thread