Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
mods, please change OP's name to AppleWhite Supremacist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Four Score posted:

mods, please change OP's name to AppleWhite Supremacist

:iamafag:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Applewhite Power! Applewhite Power! Applewhite Power!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Some of my best friends are blacks and they say I'm not a racist so :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Interesting that his avatar is a heavily militarized German shepherd.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

Interesting that his avatar is a heavily militarized German shepherd.

Actually it's a Doberman.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Applewhite posted:

Even worse.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

reading's a scam, OP

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Its heresy. :commissar:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applewhite posted:

Some of my best friends are blacks and they say I'm not a racist so :colbert:

You have to talk to the black ambassador. He approves white people to talk and do things and be around black people. Once you have your black clearance all the black people know you are cool. Wanna wear a kangol? You can do that now. Wanna say "word up"? You can do that. Wanna drink artificially fruit flavored soda? You got a pass.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Applewhite posted:

Oh man you just finished A Horse and His Boy. It was a great story but the portrayal of the Calormen people was an unflattering caricature of Muslims. What should be done about this?

Should you warn other people not to read the book?
No because it's a great book and everyone should read it.

Should you recommend the book but warn the prospective reader that there are some racially insensitive elements?
Why would you do this? If you think the person might be turned off the book by your warning, why did you recommend it, and if you don't think they'll care, then why warn them?
Pretty much the only reason to even bring it up is in a pathetic attempt to distance yourself from the problematic aspects of the book. Congratulations you are a coward.

Should you write to the publisher and tell them to Bowdlerize the offending passages?
Sure and while you're at it why not just get all your like-minded friends together for a good old fashioned book burning?

Should you endeavor to recognize and confront prejudice in your own life so that you don't perpetuate it in your words and deeds?
You should already be doing this I don't see what it has to do with C.S. Lewis.

Like, I understand that it's important to recognize prejudice in fiction but, having recognized it, I don't really see any practical application of this knowledge. I get it that art is not immune from criticism but where do you go from there? Is it just criticism for the sake of criticism?

I dunno maybe some goons can enlighten me.

First: lol really hard. Second: Immolate book and throw it into a group of (insert group of people you hate here). It's just so simple.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Agag posted:

Its heresy. :commissar:

The Commisariat doesn't exercise direct authority over the Space Marine chapters and certainly cannot perform summary executions on their members :colbert:

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You have to talk to the black ambassador. He approves white people to talk and do things and be around black people. Once you have your black clearance all the black people know you are cool. Wanna wear a kangol? You can do that now. Wanna say "word up"? You can do that. Wanna drink artificially fruit flavored soda? You got a pass.

I attended an inner city high school and in my time there I achieved level four black friend status (I can repeat the n-word when quoting rap lyrics but can't use it in conversation.) To this day I still habitually do the thing where I greet black people I pass on the street with a single, knowing nod.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Applewhite posted:

The Commisariat doesn't exercise direct authority over the Space Marine chapters and certainly cannot perform summary executions on their members :colbert:

I demand a emoticon for situations in which the Ordo Hereticus of the Inquisition would request the aid of the Grey Knights to exterminate a entire Astartes chapter suspected of heresy.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applewhite posted:

I attended an inner city high school and in my time there I achieved level four black friend status (I can repeat the n-word when quoting rap lyrics but can't use it in conversation.) To this day I still habitually do the thing where I greet black people I pass on the street with a single, knowing nod.

Hahaha I was being serious though. :colbert:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Agag posted:

I demand a emoticon for situations in which the Ordo Hereticus of the Inquisition would request the aid of the Grey Knights to exterminate a entire Astartes chapter suspected of heresy.

maybe read less

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

maybe read less

The setting is definitely racist.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dolphins call each other by name

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
no ones racist in 40k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Shaquin posted:

no ones racist in 40k

Nurgle loves everyone, Khorne hates everyone. They don't see race.

• Locked thread