Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The Wizard of Poz posted:

a million tiny apps that do one single tiny thing. Imagine NodeJS but on the scale of an OS

that's UNIX bitch and I should buy you a red title for describing it that way if I actually gave a gently caress about anything

edit: loving SNYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Windows 7 just works, I dont have to install it every year and swear at my monitor for 2 days getting it to work again.

Windows 7 is cool and good, but updating it from a fresh install takes so long.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

am i the only one who types ls instead of dir in the windows command prompt like every single time

I always type ls and dir in R. Neither work. ls() and dir() both work though, and both do different things.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 1, 2016

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

MiracleWhale posted:

that's UNIX bitch and I should buy you a red title for describing it that way if I actually gave a gently caress about anything

edit: loving SNYPE

woah gently caress not a red title

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
admittedly Ubuntu has improved usability a lot but the steadfast refusal of app devs to provide uis for configuring their products is a loving nightmare

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

CentOS more like PenisBitchFailFuckOS

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
when i was in middle school i asked my parents buy me a copy of red hat linux from best buy because our internet was too slow to download the disk images. i installed it on our computer and then the computer didn't work anymore and i couldn't get windows reinstalled and everyone was mad at me. that was when i first knew i was retarded and gay forever.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

when i was in middle school i asked my parents buy me a copy of red hat linux from best buy because our internet was too slow to download the disk images. i installed it on our computer and then the computer didn't work anymore and i couldn't get windows reinstalled and everyone was mad at me. that was when i first knew i was retarded and gay forever.

U R A 90s Kid

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

The Wizard of Poz posted:

woah gently caress not a red title

don't think you'll ever live it down

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

osx: linux

it's over for windows

osx is not linux afaik

And windows is getting bash or something like that by teaming up with Ubuntu.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

lol if you didn't install slack wear from floopies

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I had to do some voodoo magic config file poo poo on my laptop to disable power management on my network card just to get linux to connect to the internet. Now my battery lasts about 30 minutes before dying. Such a sleek and modern OS.They can't just release a patch for that poo poo, you have to search the bowels of the internet for some uber nerd to tell you that you need to disable reg35 in your xrg.conf file. Then you have to figure out where xrg.conf is. Then you find it and you have to do some sudo chmod +x poo poo in order to even be able to edit the file. Then once you finally figure all of that out, your screen goes black because xrg.conf is only available for Ubuntu 15.10 and then you have to upgrade and then Ubuntu corrupts your flash drive so you have to get on a computer that's running Windows in order to format your flash drive and then install linux and then you kill yourself.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 1, 2016

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

"i will install and run openbsd as my primary operating system. this is a good idea." -- a thing i thought and did for, like, a month

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

"i will install and run openbsd as my primary operating system. this is a good idea." -- a thing i thought and did for, like, a month

netbsd idiot!!!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
sudo rm -rf /

:evilbuddy:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
$ sudo mkdir poo poo
$ cd poo poo
$ sudo cp linux .
$ ./endmylife
$ endmylife
$ endmylife: command not found

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
$ sudo apt-get install chmod +x mkdir alpha omega ../amicoolforusing grep -a | terminal.txt to install thing$?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SweetKarma posted:

$ sudo apt-get install chmod +x mkdir alpha omega ../amicoolforusing grep -a | terminal.txt to install thing$?

no

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Linux is the Dark Souls of operating systems.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can someone explain linux to me, a person who does not understand computers

Linux is an operating system for people who don't need sound and also people who get really really angry at you when you point out that sound literally doesn't work on any Linux distribution.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Imagine showing your grandma how to use linux.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
Linux is ideal for sysadmins who want to babysit servers all day long, and literally tweak every single config file they can find to the exact specifications dictated by their autistic minds. And god forbid anything using the precious CPU cycles or memory, a good Linux server is an idle Linux server. Also, any security in place that prevents them from being SYSTEM LORD is dumb and should be turned off. Other users should be massively restricted to whatever the Linux sysadmin thinks is appropriate.

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Did you know Apple produces very good UNIX laptops.

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't think of any reason to use Linux on desktop, now that we have Ubuntu/Windows 10 and the FreeBSD powered OS X El Capitan.

The OP is probably an anime watching kiddie jerker.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

ars posted:

Yes, but Apple avoids the Linux problems by controlling the hardware that their os runs on. Windows runs on literally everything. Linux TRIES to run on everything, but fails miserably.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ars posted:

the ps4 is a BSD game console

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SweetKarma posted:

Yes, but Apple avoids the Linux problems by controlling the hardware that their os runs on. Windows runs on literally everything. Linux TRIES to run on everything, but fails miserably.

I have a laptop that came with Windows 98 that I can run a modern Linux OS on with proper security and such.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have a laptop that came with Windows 98 that I can run a modern Linux OS on with proper security and such.

Stick with Windows 98.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Jerry Cotton posted:

Linux is an operating system for people who don't need sound and also people who get really really angry at you when you point out that sound literally doesn't work on any Linux distribution.

I write music and since my DAW of choice, Renoise, has a linux version and I understand that audio latency is much lower using linux, I installed not one, but two different distros of linux on a laptop to try it out and I literally could not get that Jack poo poo to work on either distro no matter how much I dicked around with it. In the end I opened my seven mouths in unison and sang the song that ends the World and then I installed XP instead (the laptop was a bit old) and gently caress me if I'm going to try linux for audio work again...gently caress me hard with a sharp stick. And I don't consider myself too computer illiterate either. I thought I could figure that poo poo out, but unnnfffff.....

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

autoaim.cfg posted:

I write music and since my DAW of choice, Renoise, has a linux version and I understand that audio latency is much lower using linux, I installed not one, but two different distros of linux on a laptop to try it out and I literally could not get that Jack poo poo to work on either distro no matter how much I dicked around with it. In the end I opened my seven mouths in unison and sang the song that ends the World and then I installed XP instead (the laptop was a bit old) and gently caress me if I'm going to try linux for audio work again...gently caress me hard with a sharp stick. And I don't consider myself too computer illiterate either. I thought I could figure that poo poo out, but unnnfffff.....

Laptops are the worst (for installing Linux distros) anyway. It's not even Linux's fault per se, there just aren't any goodworking distributions because no-one of healthy mind works on them.

You should try LFS :newfap:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Here's how installing linux goes for me:

I boot from the usb drive and install ubuntu and everything is done in about 15 minutes and then i do all the updates and downoad a few programs and it all works from the start. P cool imho..

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I found a cool bug with YouTube on Linux. When you click on your Google notifications, if one of those notifications has a YouTube video, and you play it, then you can't get the audio to stop unless you completely close Firefox.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

SweetKarma posted:

I found a cool bug with YouTube on Linux. When you click on your Google notifications, if one of those notifications has a YouTube video, and you play it, then you can't get the audio to stop unless you completely close Firefox.

Thats a firefox bug you goof.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Firefox ends in X, Linux ends in X.

Coincidence?!?!??

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

8 track betamax posted:

Thats a firefox bug you goof.

Don't worry, I sent the bug report to Mozilla. 12 months from now some guy is going to post a fix on IRC.

I'm sure it involves editing some sort of config file.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i used to use gentoo because im a gay idiot

I used to when i was a teen and it was like week long process to get everything right and eventually you are just like "i wanna play games" then install windows again

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
One of my drunken hobbies now is to find open port 5900s and run a bash script that downloads goatse infinitely

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My friend has a similar hobby he wants to put in a gallery "pictures from old peoples webcams"

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
I hate you OP.

This thread spurred me to try and install mint on my old Imac.
I abandoned this after 8 hours of failed boots.

So I tried to put it on my newer Imac.
After another 5 hours I got the oval office working.

gently caress you

and vi(m)

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

you ever heard of a thing called a script dawg feel free to rewrite every one you encounter in powershell

I would for every bash script i want to run on windows. 0 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

8 track betamax posted:

Here's how installing linux goes for me:

I boot from the usb drive and install ubuntu and everything is done in about 15 minutes and then i do all the updates and downoad a few programs and it all works from the start. P cool imho..

I have a similar experience, but I think the OP might be "pulling our legs"

• Locked thread