Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I'm pretty sure the damage output for Darkside's special depends on how you hit your opponent. You'd think ramming them head on would be the most powerful way but it's actually at it's most powerful if you slide into your opponent and hit them with the side of the vehicle. Of course, you can also up the damage by smashing them into a wall as well.

I think this is a constant through the series. I remember reading FAQs about it that said to power slide into your opponent for max damage and not just in this game, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Vicissitude posted:

I think this is a constant through the series. I remember reading FAQs about it that said to power slide into your opponent for max damage and not just in this game, either.

From back when I played this I thought the max damage came from hitting the side of the opponent's car, like T-boning them.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

PSWII60 posted:

From back when I played this I thought the max damage came from hitting the side of the opponent's car, like T-boning them.

That's what I always think when I'm playing as Darkside because it makes the most sense, but Vic's right, you get a damage boost for hitting enemies with the broad side of the truck with the special, which the game confusingly calls "T-sliding." I honestly don't even know how to do this on command, much less how to aim the attack in this manner, but you can also get a damage boost by pinning an enemy to a wall with the special, and it can hit multiple times if they bounce off your bumper and stay in front of you, so it's still plenty useful even without T-sliding.

Sel Nar posted:

And that's why Darkside is arguably the sneakiest sonofabitch when you're first playing the game, because you never expect something that big to go that fast.

Not only is the attack surprisingly fast, often too fast to do anything about it once you're in her sights, but it can even be rear-fired, which the AI uses to great effect when you've got Darkside on the run and you're moving in to make the killing blow. Definitely an unexpected way for the hunted to become the hunter until you learn to never stand directly in front of or behind Darkside.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Oh, right! I remember seeing that once in a blue moon and being confused as hell about it. I figured my game broke or something.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This was a few videos ago but Preacher being hit with laser eyes from a flying baby will never not be loving hilarious.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
I remember years ago after TM:B came out, a friend rented it and showed me a bunch. We had played TM3 to death and 4 wasn't really my cup of tea, so seeing how dark this new one was kinda blew my mind. Of all the characters though, Dollface stuck out the most to me. Her story was super interesting, particularly her choice at the end. Plus, Darkside was a beast. The only thing that struck me odd was that it seemed as though 2 characters were swapped around into the wrong vehicles, they haven't been shown yet, so i'm not going to name them or spoil it just to be on the safe side.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Am I the only one who finds it weird seeing the vehicles that get arbitrarily dramatically different drivers like Darkside?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Am I the only one who finds it weird seeing the vehicles that get arbitrarily dramatically different drivers like Darkside?

The only car I can think of that hasn't switched drivers are the ones where you can see the driver very visibly, like Mr. Grimm or Axel.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grapplejack posted:

The only car I can think of that hasn't switched drivers are the ones where you can see the driver very visibly, like Mr. Grimm or Axel.

Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck has never had another driver has it? Even if the Clown with the same name has switched vehicles or been out of the competition in a few of the main stories.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck has never had another driver has it? Even if the Clown with the same name has switched vehicles or been out of the competition in a few of the main stories.

I can't believe I forgot the most famous character in the series

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The best character, and david jaffe's tulpa, Sweet Tooth

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Grapplejack posted:

The Mr. Grimm of this game is definitely different from previous, but we haven't gotten to him yet so I'll leave off why.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Spectre at The Drive-In Movie

Bloody Mary loading screens:
  1. Finally! A man who loves me? And all I have to do is win this contest? For true love, I can do anything!
  2. My daddy used to say I was the prettiest girl in the world. Even after he killed my mom, he still said I was beautiful.
  3. Daddy said ugly girls are tramps and losers. I promised my dad I would stay pretty forever.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. Kristen's parents are sad she's dead. But I know when I find my true love, they'll be so happy for me.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I have to keep moving if I want to survive this.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the bloodstain on the wedding dress she took from Kristen is indicative of a disembowelment.

And she used a cake knife. Christ.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Great work, as usual Fiendly! Black and Twisted Metal 2 are some of my favorite vehicle combat games. drat shame the reboot kinda fizzled.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Mr. Grimm at The Skyscrapers

Mr. Grimm loading screens:
  1. When I win this contest, I'll have my revenge. What he did to me, to my friend... It ripped my mind apart...
  2. My killing instinct; it's coming back to me now... just like in the war. I'd forgotten how good I am at this...
  3. I have to stay focused on the fight. But every dead body I see brings back the cravings... have I gone insane?
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.
  5. God, Benny... I'm so sorry. I shoulda never done what I did. I wish I had died too..
  6. This arena is like the jungle, close quarters. You move in and out quick before the enemy knows what hit 'em.
  7. Will the man who destroyed my mind even recognize me after all this time? I hope he does. I hope he's terrified.

Skyscrapers loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: Up here I can look down on the city that fears me. I can smell their fear, and to be quite honest... I love it.
  2. Billy Ray: Jeezus! So many rooftops to fall off! With my truck, I can probably push half these cars to their deaths.
  3. Raven: 100 stories up. I should just drive my car off the edge. Then I'd never have to worry about anything anymore...
  4. John Doe: This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win, I'll get the whole story. I'll find out who I really am.
  5. Preacher: 100 stories up. Maybe I should just jump and end it all. No! That is the demon talking. Dear God, make it go away!
  6. No-Face: Face is starting to hurt. No medication. Since I left the asylum, I can't give into the pain; can't fall off the edge...
  7. Agent Stone: The last fight in the contest. If I win, I'll get my second chance. I just hope it's enough to save that family.
  8. Dollface: It's so pretty up here. It's been so long since I've seen anything pretty. I wish I didn't have to keep fighting...
  9. Bloody Mary: From here, I can hear the sound of wedding bells. They're a lot like police sirens...I never noticed that before.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Good old Grimm. Hell of a way to take a character from a literal reaper of souls and turn him into someone who devours people in a different way. I would say this one qualifies as the darkest story in the game. By the way, the sound that plays when Grimm puts on the skull helmet is the same sound that would play when he fires his special in TM2. Neat little touch there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Grimm was my favorite character. Once you got good at aiming that special it was just devastating.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Token glass cannon but drat what a rush to be able to beat the game with Grimm. My favorite of the reimaginings. I just wish in the ending that it had dropped his final line and the shot of the advisor. Just have it heavily implied what his special craving was. Good stuff either way.

Also I remember earlier when you mentioned how alot of the characters were holding guns in the selection screen. In the reboot, some of the weapon selects were gang members hanging out of the car windows firing. The sniper rifle being one of them. I wonder if that mechanic had been thought up as early as TM: Black but dropped for whatever reason?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Nothing more brutal than a Fiendly gleefully in his element

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Wamdoodle posted:

Also I remember earlier when you mentioned how alot of the characters were holding guns in the selection screen. In the reboot, some of the weapon selects were gang members hanging out of the car windows firing. The sniper rifle being one of them. I wonder if that mechanic had been thought up as early as TM: Black but dropped for whatever reason?

That's really interesting, since I know a big part of the reboot's design came from an idea they tried to implement in a sequel to Black but it proved to be too much for the hardware of the day. It's starting to seem like TM 2012 might just be a patchwork of scraps from the Black cutting room floor.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Fiendly posted:

That's really interesting, since I know a big part of the reboot's design came from an idea they tried to implement in a sequel to Black but it proved to be too much for the hardware of the day. It's starting to seem like TM 2012 might just be a patchwork of scraps from the Black cutting room floor.

To be fair to TM 2012, there's worse things to pick up scraps from than TM: B. I'm not saying they did a good job, but at the very least they had some decent pieces to try and put together.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really liked this game when it came out as a multiplayer game for my brother and some friends, but I gotta say, all of the character stories are just edgy nu-metal as gently caress. They're not terrible for the time, but they're all really cringe-worthy attempts. I think if anything should have been given less focus, it's the seriousness of the storylines in favor of fleshing out the combat more. I'd love a Burnout-esque mode with actual highways to race around instead of just the arenas we've been given so far, but the last thing I want out of Twisted Metal is more exposition on the storylines that doesn't ramp them so far into the "so bad it's good" territory

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

I really liked this game when it came out as a multiplayer game for my brother and some friends, but I gotta say, all of the character stories are just edgy nu-metal as gently caress. They're not terrible for the time, but they're all really cringe-worthy attempts. I think if anything should have been given less focus, it's the seriousness of the storylines in favor of fleshing out the combat more. I'd love a Burnout-esque mode with actual highways to race around instead of just the arenas we've been given so far, but the last thing I want out of Twisted Metal is more exposition on the storylines that doesn't ramp them so far into the "so bad it's good" territory

To try and keep it vague, there's a reason why the stories are this extreme. I think there's just the right amount of story.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Honestly, I'm just wondering why most of these people are in an asylum instead of prison. I mean, I know the answer, but Junkyard Dog and Roadkill should be locked up for life.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

To try and keep it vague, there's a reason why the stories are this extreme. I think there's just the right amount of story.

The best I can think of is blah blah blah Calypso is a guard of hell or purgatory, blah blah blah, they're atoning sins.

Still boring and awful, and I'd rather have them be bland Bios for the characters.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really can't stand this uber-gritty-real take. Edgy doesn't necessarily mean good. The gameplay in Black is fantastic at least, but I always hated the cut scenes.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This is a game of it's era for better or worse.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I enjoyed this game simply for being hilariously over the top edgy. It doesn't feel like it takes itself too, too seriously to me.

I didn't play many console games during that time though, and the over the top edge lord thing does seem like the sort of idea that would get old if I saw it more than once.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The story in the games has always been way over the top. Look up the deleted ending scenes for Twisted Metal 1995. They've run the gamut of silly and "serious."

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Welp, there's probably not gonna be any better time to post this video: Twisted Metal honest game trailer

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Fiendly posted:

Welp, there's probably not gonna be any better time to post this video: Twisted Metal honest game trailer

This is great.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really can't stand this uber-gritty-real take. Edgy doesn't necessarily mean good. The gameplay in Black is fantastic at least, but I always hated the cut scenes.

You should get the Euro version of it then, all that junk was cut out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fiendly posted:

This is perfect.

I guess the storylines could be considered farcical at the time, but I really don't think Jaffe was going for a punchline with any of these backstories. If he did, he fell short and made it too sincere anyway. It needs a lot more over-the-top to match even the B-est B-Movie

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You should get the Euro version of it then, all that junk was cut out.

I did. I traded my copy to some dude in France that my sister in law knew.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
This lp still going?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, next video is mostly recorded and should be posted relatively soon compared to how long it's been since the last one.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

Axel at Warhawk's Rooftop

Axel loading screens:
  1. Someone killed my wife. She was my life. Calypso says if I win, he'll reveal the killer to me. What husband would refuse?
  2. We were at the park. I looked down at my paper...when I looked back up, she was gone. My wife...gone.
  3. 3 months later, her body was shipped to us...in pieces. It took 8 months to get it all back...my dear wife...
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can find a way past his force field, I know I can beat him.
  5. I made this vehicle with my own hands. It's my penance, my punishment for letting my wife die. I will not fail her.
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I must keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. This is the last battleground in the contest. If I win I'll discover the truth. I'll face my wife's killer...
  8. The law won't stand in my way. Where was the law when my wife went missing? To me, they're as guilty as the killer.

Warhawk loading screens:
  1. Needles Kane: I recognize this freak. Used his little helicopter to capture me 3 months ago. Well boys 'n girls, it's payback time.
  2. Billy Ray: I respect the law. But I can't let the cops get in the way of me gettin' my revenge!
  3. Raven: I'm so close! I can't let this pig stand in my way! This is the last battle. If I win, Kelly will be avenged...
  4. John Doe: I don't know why... I feel like I shouldn't fight this guy. But I want my life back.
  5. Preacher: So this is to be my Armageddon? The law demands that I surrender... but I only answer to a higher power.
  6. No-Face: Never cared for the fuzz. Always givin' me a hard time, just 'cause I wuz a bum. Man, I'm gonna enjoy gutting this pig...
  7. Agent Stone: I know this man. He's a fellow officer; a good cop. But I may have to kill him if I want to change my past...
  8. Dollface: I'm sorry officer, I don't want to kill you. I like the police. But I'm so tired of being locked up...
  9. Bloody Mary: One more opponent and I'll be in the arms of my soul mate. This pig can't stand in the way of true love.
  10. Mr. Grimm: I'm too close. I won't give up. Once I kill this bastard, nothing will stand in my way...

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ that twist. Fiendly, you beautiful bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Gee, I don't think I'm ready for Twisted Metal to have an interesting and interconnected story.

• Locked thread