Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi

Ultimate Tenkaichi was supposed to be the best Dragon Ball Z game. You could make your own saiyan, it was super pretty... and you could make your own saiyan. Plus, it would carry that tested and true Tenkaichi gameplay that fans were so fond of, with some refinements! At least, that's how it was imagined by consumers, I think. In reality, Ultimate Tenkaichi suffered most in one key area: it wasn't a very good fighting game. Most battles against other players were either pre-determined by your loadout, or if you were equally matched, random chance. On top of that, all the playable characters are almost entirely interchangeable. The nuances of the original Tenkaichi combat system are gone, and for what I feel is the first time: every fighter does feel copy-pasted. An immense effort was put into trying to make the game more cinematic, at the cost of anything resembling fair or interesting game mechanics.

And then Dragonball Xenoverse came out and made everything better.

About this Let's Play in particular:

I'm going to be playing through the game's much-discussed Hero Mode, with a balanced fighter. This way you'll get to see the most moves and most, uh, variety in strategy, theoretically. The only problem being that this game is woefully, painfully uninteresting on anything but a visual level. So, I'm just, going to cram the videos full of random jabbering about the characters we'll be facing and their place in the DBZ universe. I don't normally go this route, but what the hell, it'll be a fun time.

What about the Story Mode?

I genuinely like the story of Dragon Ball Z, but it's been told better elsewhere, in many other games! It would do a massive disservice to both you and the license to drag you through the game's slogging Story Mode, when the much more hilarious and interesting Hero Mode is sitting right next to it.

Videos:

Thank you for watching!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember Goku using Kaioken for the actual Ginyu fight. Goku is naturally stronger than everyone else, because he is Goku.
Watching some LPs of some other games on Youtube, everyone brought up how bad this game is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't remember Goku using Kaioken for the actual Ginyu fight. Goku is naturally stronger than everyone else, because he is Goku.
Watching some LPs of some other games on Youtube, everyone brought up how bad this game is.

He does. Goku's base power level is lower than Ginyu's (in fact, Ginyu manages to perfectly estimate how powerful Goku is while Goku's trying to hide that), he needed to power up with the Kaio-ken to surpass Ginyu (increasing to around 180000).

Ginyu thinking he gets that alongside Goku's body is why he actually gets a severe power-down after taking it, since he can't use Goku's Ki moves. Contrast that to Tagoma, where Ginyu in Tagoma's body is far more powerful than Tagoma himself since Tagoma's power came entirely from his body, with Ginyu having much greater skill.

Anyways, this game! I've always been interested in it because it sounded awful and man, it does not disappoint. I have to seriously wonder how anyone thought that removing gameplay was a way to improve a game. Plus, uhh, shouldn't the Earth be in serious danger now? Rather than chaos or whatever, it should either explode or be very close to it depending on when the wish was made, since the Black Star Dragon Balls destroy the planet a wish was made on after a year. I doubt this game remembers that though.

All of that said I like how the first thing you do in story is befriending Ginyu. It's cute. He even gives you a BS Dragon Ball, even if the hero is a dick and doesn't join the Ginyu Force as he should. Good thing Xenoverse rectifies that too, letting you join Ginyu and be pals.

Oh, and the heroes shown in the opening, if anyone didn't know, were not made for this game: they're adult versions of Beat and Basaku from Heroes. The last male Saiyan, Erito, was used for Xenoverse instead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Dragonball wikia didn't mention it and their level of autism in the franchise far exceeds mine. I missed Ginyu giving the Black Star. Guess you will be going to brand new planets we never saw before.

I hate the EU. They changed things around from the series just to make money off a new generation. You get SS3 Goku losing the electricity arcs, Goku not having brain damage, and Bulma now having a sister.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe right now you're enacting the exposition preamble, and Hero is the one that's going to wish the world into despair. I mean he seems to be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

e: by the way, kind of sad we can't vote for hero customization. Also the intro video with Goku had him sound a lot like Sonic to me... Which makes sense as Sonic is just Goku the (Blue) Hedgehog.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 30, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe right now you're enacting the exposition preamble, and Hero is the one that's going to wish the world into despair. I mean he seems to be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

e: by the way, kind of sad we can't vote for hero customization. Also the intro video with Goku had him sound a lot like Sonic to me... Which makes sense as Sonic is just Goku the (Blue) Hedgehog.

I chose the "Crazy" personality, so Hero isn't much of a hero, but the game still tries to drag him through the story mode in a hilarious fashion.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It isn't very good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Revolutionary boss battle technology.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Dragonball wikia didn't mention it and their level of autism in the franchise far exceeds mine. I missed Ginyu giving the Black Star. Guess you will be going to brand new planets we never saw before.

I hate the EU. They changed things around from the series just to make money off a new generation. You get SS3 Goku losing the electricity arcs, Goku not having brain damage, and Bulma now having a sister.

No, Goku still has brain damage- being a good person and being a retard isn't really related, and regardless of the fact that his mom was a nice person, that doesn't actually change anything. He had zero upbringing before he got sent to Earth so it makes sense for him to still be a violent little poo poo due to his race being that way. Honestly that whole poo poo with his mom seems less like "an excuse to explain why Goku be a good person" and more like Toriyama just wanting to fill in that mystery of who his mom is, but unfortunately still applies his lovely writing of making every woman who's given birth and not named Bulma/18 into a do nothing housewife.
Of course I would prefer the solution to the mystery of "what the hell is Freiza's race called since they're becoming so mainstream as playable characters in games" but god forbid he answer that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

TCat posted:

Of course I would prefer the solution to the mystery of "what the hell is Freiza's race called since they're becoming so mainstream as playable characters in games" but god forbid he answer that.

Nah, he already answered that in Xenoverse! They're called the "Freeza race". The more you know :cheeky:.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Arcosians.

Now that you are causing thousands of damage with your attacks on that great ape (who don't have tails), the normal encounters should be over very quickly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tenshinhan is actually indeed a human, he's merely descended from the Three-Eyed clan. It's never stated how many generations apart he is from them, but he's likely more human than Triclops.

Then again, this is a series where Pan still counts more as a Saiyan than human despite being mostly human, and that's not even going into non-canon stuff like Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr., or the humans in Online who have really slight Saiyan blood yet can still become Super Saiyans.

Also it's good to know that the game will not give any sort of explanation as to why there's at least two Saiyans running around apart from the main cast despite the fact that all Saiyans except Goku, Vegeta and Tarble should be dead for a long time. And we'll never get to know about the other Saiyan who the sociopath "Hero" just murdered.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The story is set in yet another alternate universe.

Toriyama thought Tao Pai Pai was inconsequential unless he was reminded otherwise. The decision on what is canon should have ended when the manga did.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Fionordequester posted:

Nah, he already answered that in Xenoverse! They're called the "Freeza race". The more you know :cheeky:.

Cell calls them Frost Demons (Frost Akuma in Japanese). Seeing as how Cell is Perfect and the best Mentor in the game, clearly he's correct.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
drat. Can't argue with Perfection.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I sorta stopped paying attention to DBZ games after Budokai 3 and holy poo poo, this looks like the most boring and unsatisfying thing to play. Even the transitions into gameplay look really awkward, is the whole game like this?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Momomo posted:

I sorta stopped paying attention to DBZ games after Budokai 3 and holy poo poo, this looks like the most boring and unsatisfying thing to play. Even the transitions into gameplay look really awkward, is the whole game like this?

Yeah, this is the game. It's honestly the worst DBZ game.

I liked the Raging Blast series, Battle of Z, and Xenoverse. I even have a soft spot for less than stellar titles like DBZ Sagas. But the gameplay in Ultimate Tenkaichi is just horrendous.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
First time I heard a compliment for Z.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

First time I heard a compliment for Z.

Battle of Z wasn't well liked? I guess it was very different from the gameplay the series usually had. It was definitely enjoyable though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We are a bully

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't wait to see when the game turns to crap after showing what a battlefield should look like after a battle. Is the damage persistent during battle or is it a destroyed background alternate version of the city?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Gero calls himself Android 20 because he is, his entire body is robotic, the only thing left of Dr. Gero is his brain, controlling his new robotic body. And he absolutely appeared in the anime, I'm not sure how you'd think otherwise.

And, while this is absolutely nitpicking, Android 8 also appears in DBZ, during the Super Spirit Bomb part.

About the game proper, it sure feels weird to get the redemption moment for 17 and 18 coming from a psycho like the "hero".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I can't wait to see when the game turns to crap after showing what a battlefield should look like after a battle. Is the damage persistent during battle or is it a destroyed background alternate version of the city?

None of the damage is persistent, it vanishes immediately after it occurs.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Dr. Gero calls himself Android 20 because he is, his entire body is robotic, the only thing left of Dr. Gero is his brain, controlling his new robotic body. And he absolutely appeared in the anime, I'm not sure how you'd think otherwise.

And, while this is absolutely nitpicking, Android 8 also appears in DBZ, during the Super Spirit Bomb part.

About the game proper, it sure feels weird to get the redemption moment for 17 and 18 coming from a psycho like the "hero".

I was accidentally musing out loud about the original Dragon Ball anime in the middle of talking about Z.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I was accidentally musing out loud about the original Dragon Ball anime in the middle of talking about Z.

Oh! In that case, Gero did not appear in either the manga or anime. He only really started existing in the Androids Arc, to the point that the DB anime created another character in the place he'd eventually take, Dr. Flappe. Gero's existence as part of the Red Ribbon army is a retcon because Toriyama does not plan ahead, ever.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh! In that case, Gero did not appear in either the manga or anime. He only really started existing in the Androids Arc, to the point that the DB anime created another character in the place he'd eventually take, Dr. Flappe. Gero's existence as part of the Red Ribbon army is a retcon because Toriyama does not plan ahead, ever.

He does seem to have memory problems, too, so that can't help any.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Actually, the term "Android" is itself a misnomer as in the Japanese version they are called Jinzōningen which translates literally as "Artificial Humans". This is because at least four of them were cyborgs: the aforementioned Dr. Gero/#20, #17, #18, and finally #8 who is the only Artificial Human that Dr. Flappe had any involvement in the creation of.

It's also worth noting that in Dragon Ball Online, Commander Red was revived as a Cyborg and uses the moniker of #9.

The retcon regarding Dr. Flappe and Dr. Gero's role in was addressed in Daizenshuu 7 which states that the two were likely colleagues in charge of the Red Ribbon Army's Android Development Program.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 8, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they ever say who rebuilt Tao Pai Pai?

Capsule Corp should have spent time making robots.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It feels like they were trying to make this game look a lot more cinematic than an actual game. It does looks good, and can actually look like it comes straight from the anime, but it's amazing at how bad it is to even watch still. This is the literal result of expanding all possible new gameplay. Any dragonball z game now encompasses the entire story since the story, other than Super, is finished. And when you break it down into individual fights from the story, it's more than easy enough to put that all in a game. They're still making new ones, but I have no idea how something like this made it all the way through to release without one person bringing up how bad it is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder how they are still not at the point where you can have persistent environmental damage. The current gen consoles are not that far behind.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Some games had persistent damage I believe. I remember being able to permanently destroy buildings and stuff, at least for that battle.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I thought Tenkaichi 3 had persistent damage?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So uh, my game capture is busted, but I should still be able to upload a few more episodes that'll hopefully last until I get the replacement.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

So uh, my game capture is busted, but I should still be able to upload a few more episodes that'll hopefully last until I get the replacement.

It is trying to stop you from playing this terrible game, even by death. Your game capture pulled a Piccolo.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

It is trying to stop you from playing this terrible game, even by death. Your game capture pulled a Piccolo.

The next one is gonna really hate it when I Let's Play Iron Man then.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It wasn't a problem with dodging. I would call it a Yamcha.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

It wasn't a problem with dodging. I would call it a Yamcha.

The Saibaman that is DBZ: Ultimate Tenkaichi latched onto my Elgato and exploded.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow that moral at the end was forced as gently caress.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Wow that moral at the end was forced as gently caress.

I loved it. He just beats the poo poo out of them and generally acts like a psycho, and somehow we end up at a moral.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

sooper sayen

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It sure would be nice to know something more about the world. At best, we know that certain events happened as in the manga: Piccolo Sr. was killed (by Goku?), then he revived himself as his son, who went on to become a good guy thanks to Goku and Gohan (as he mentions both - though if I'm understanding you correctly we'll never see them). Apart from that it's just a gigantic blur though. We know that Goku and Gohan must've become Super Saiyans by Piccolo's words, and something big has to have happened for Piccolo to fuse with Kami (as the Ultimate Shenlong is alive, which can only exist if the Nameless Namekian does, plus PIccolo is clearly stronger than 17).

However, the Cell Saga could not have happened, as 17 and 18 are not only alive, but closer to their future versions in personality. Even moreso, the Freeza Saga must've happened in a different way as Ginyu (and presumably his Force) is alive.

There's just no making sense out of this and the game hardly tries to either. And showing Great Apes as a threat to Kamiccolo is just ridiculous but power levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

It sure would be nice to know something more about the world. At best, we know that certain events happened as in the manga: Piccolo Sr. was killed (by Goku?), then he revived himself as his son, who went on to become a good guy thanks to Goku and Gohan (as he mentions both - though if I'm understanding you correctly we'll never see them). Apart from that it's just a gigantic blur though. We know that Goku and Gohan must've become Super Saiyans by Piccolo's words, and something big has to have happened for Piccolo to fuse with Kami (as the Ultimate Shenlong is alive, which can only exist if the Nameless Namekian does, plus PIccolo is clearly stronger than 17).

However, the Cell Saga could not have happened, as 17 and 18 are not only alive, but closer to their future versions in personality. Even moreso, the Freeza Saga must've happened in a different way as Ginyu (and presumably his Force) is alive.

There's just no making sense out of this and the game hardly tries to either. And showing Great Apes as a threat to Kamiccolo is just ridiculous but power levels.

The game makes no effort to explain itself, so you shouldn't worry. The next battle will make it even worse.

• Locked thread