Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

O’er rotted Soil, under blighted Sky, A dread Plague the Wicked has wrought.
In the Light of the Gods, Sword-Sworn at his Side, 'Gainst the Dark the King's Battle is fought.
From the Heavens high, to the Blessed below, Shines the Beam of a Peace long besought.
"Long live thy Line and these Stones divine,
For the Night When All comes to Naught."

-Cosmogony 15:2, "Nadir"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C05PC_dGjsw

Oh poo poo, it's Final Fantasy the Fifteenth, and it's releasing November 29th 2016, worldwide. Join up with our friends Noct, Iggy, Gladio and Prompto as they fight back against the oppressive Niflheim Empire and attempt to reclaim the throne of Lucis, and have a gay old time doing it. Described as a "fantasy based on reality", the world of FFXV is very similar to our own - but cooler, because it has magic and monsters.

STORY

Final Fantasy XV posted:

After a years-long war between Lucis and Niflheim, a peace treaty is agreed upon to end the conflict. As part of the treaty, Lucis' crown prince Noctis Lucis Caelum is to marry Lady Lunafreya Nox Fleuret, an oracle from the imperial province of Tenebrae. After Noctis sets out on a journey to meet with Lunafreya in Altissia, the truth is revealed: the treaty is a ruse engineered by Niflheim's ruler, Iedolas Aldercapt, to bring down the magic barrier protecting Insomnia, the capital of Lucis, so his army can seize control of the city's crystal. Niflheim's forces lay waste to the crown city, and King Regis, his son Noctis and Lunafreya are all reported to have perished.

The report that Noctis has been killed is false. When the prince realizes that Iedolas Aldercapt and the rest of Niflheim want him dead, Noctis and his vassals—his royal advisor, Ignis; his bodyguard, Gladiolus; and his best friend, Prompto—flee across the country. Noctis and his friends begin a road trip towards Altissia to rendezvous with Lunafreya.

If you want to have a better idea of the world of Eos and its inhabitants and the politics at play before the start of the game, you have a few options available to you. While not required viewing before playing Final Fantasy XV, the information gained from these might make you see some characters in a new light and add further context to their actions.

Brotherhood is an animated video series that details the lives of your party members several years before the events of FFXV.

Kingsglaive shows you the events that take place within the capital city of Lucis as Niflheim invades, and takes place around the same time as the beginning of FFXV the game. The titular Kingsglaive is the kingdom's elite guard, granted magical strength by King Regis. Uncover the mysteries surrounding the imperial invasion and discover the true power passed down the royal Lucian family.

Justice Monsters Five is a mobile game that doesn't really have anything to do with the story at all. But hey it might be neat?

For those who don't wanna watch Kingsglaive (understandable) or Brotherhood (come on, it's free and on youtube and not half-bad, you totally should), I summed up the biggest plot beats in this post.

COMBAT

A Beginner's guide to FFXV combat.

Final Fantasy XV combat might seem simple at a glance, but there is a lot under the hood that adds complexity and skill to the encounters.

Normal attacks, as simple as either pressing or holding down the attack button. Depending on how you move the left stick while attacking and how you pace your attacks, you may perform different types of attacks, depending on which weapon type you use. There are 7 different types of weapons/equipment: Swords, Greatswords, Polearms, Daggers, Firearms, Machines, and Royal Arms. In addition to that are Shields you can equip when wielding certain types of weapons (such as a sword). If you Guard at the correct time when using a shield, you can stagger the enemy, leaving them open to attacks.

During combat, you have access to four of these types and can switch between them on the fly using the D-pad, though you can change your setup during combat if you pause.

Another facet of these attacks is Noctis's ability to warp. By utilizing this, your capabilities for air combat and evading enemies are greatly increased. Note that using this ability will drain your MP, and if you use it too much and run out of MP, you'll enter a state called Stasis, which drastically weakens Noctis for a short period of time.

Oh, and MP is only consumed by using Warp, dodging attacks with the Guard button and the Royal Arms weapon-type. Magic does not consume MP. Speaking of which...

Magic. As you explore the world, you come across Draw Points, similar to Final Fantasy 8. By approaching these and draining the elemental magic that resides within the planet, you gain elemental energy, which you can later use and combine with other items to create spells. Use enough Fire Energy and combine it with a Potion, and you get a Heal Fira, which damages enemies while healing your party. Use a Phoenix Down instead of a Potion and you get a Dualcast: Fira instead.

Just like weapons, you equip magic to your D-pad selection and can then choose the proper timing for when to unleash them. As this is a fantasy based on reality, however, magic is a bit more dangerous than in usual Final Fantasy games: if you use Fire on a puddle of oil, then a massive explosion will be set off, but beware that you and your allies don't get caught in it. If you use Fire while it's raining, then the effects will be weaker and the fire will quickly disappear.

Another type of magic, different from the elemental one, resides in the Ring of the Lucii, an artifact handed down the Lucian Royal Family.

Link-strikes are combination attacks you perform together with one of your party members. By attacking an enemy from behind, you not only deal increased damage than if you just attacked head-on, but you have a chance to perform a link-strike together with a bro which deals a lot of damage. Make sure to equip your bros with different types of weapons (they can hold two at a time) for more link-strike opportunitues.

Counters are simple. Defend against an enemy's attack with proper timing and you can unleash a counter attack. Link-strikes can also happen when you counter.

Commands function similarly to the gameplay in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, where you can easily unleash special attacks with the press of a button. FFXV worked similarly early in development, but these types of attacks were switched to your comrades instead. In combat, a meter builds up as time passes, and as it fills, you can instruct your party members to perform special attacks. Gladiolus's Tempest does a huge swing that first draws enemies in and then another one that does huge damage. Ignis's Mark ability places markers on enemies near you, and you can then quickly warp to each one in succession and deal great damage to them. Prompto has a piercing bullet, and Gladio does a huge sweep.

You may unlock new commands for your allies as you progress through the story and Ascension grid.

Summons are a staple of the Final Fantasy series, and are more impressive then ever in FFXV. As you progress through the story, you unlock different types of Summons such as Ramuh and Titan, and their effects on the battlefield are nothing less than devastating. As they are physical beings once summoned, however, the Summons may help you in different ways depending on where and when you summon them. Sometimes they might even give up and go home.

If you find yourself running low on HP and MP in combat, don't panic. You can pop a quick Potion to get you back up to snuff, or you can warp away to a higher place or take cover near a box or a wall. You'll quickly regenerate HP and MP once you do this. In prolonged fights, you'll probably want to weave in and out of battle to recuperate.

Note that just because your HP is reduced to 0, it doesn't mean you've lost! A character with 0 HP can still stagger around, though they cannot perform other actions. Using a Phoenix Down, or running up to a character and giving them a pat on the back, will get you back in the fight. Any damage taken while in this state will reduce your maximum HP until you either restore it with an item or go to sleep. If your maximum HP is reduced to 0, however, it is Game Over.

GAMEPLAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2DSmy3Tro

Final Fantasy XV has a seamless world, though it is not necessarily open-world as we have come to know it from games like Grand Theft Auto or the like. Much like previous games in the series, progression through the world is gated by the plot, but there is more freedom than ever before as you go about your business. Think of it like an old world map - large stretches of areas that are there to set the mood and convey a sense of distance and may have some secret hidden away in a nook somewhere, with the majority of the content being found in outposts and towns.

Since the world is so huge, crossing it on foot would be a fool's errand (you can, but that involves a lot of walking). Instead, daddy-o Regis lends you his car. You can drive it yourself or leave it to Ignis and just relax in the back seat while listening to the Final Fantasy Radio Channel. The car can crash and take damage or run out of fuel, but thankfully there are mechanics and gas stations dotted around. You cannot go off-road with the car, however, so if you want to take a break while riding to explore the wilderness, you either need to leg it or call for a chocobo to ride on. The chocobos can drift, so you should do this all the time once you've unlocked them a few chapters into the game.

FFXV has a day and night cycle. As you go through the day and fight battles and complete quests, you will accumulate experience points - however, you will not level up. As day turns to night and good princes should be asleep, you can set up camp. In camp, the experience you've earned through the day is distributed amongst the party members. As you kill enemies, you gain ingredients that Ignis can use to prepare dinner, that provide buffs that last throughout the next day. You can also look through the photos that Prompto takes during the day. Of course, you don't need to go to bed. During the night, dangerous enemies carrying rare materials crawl out of their caves to challenge you.

Character progression comes in the form of buying and finding new equipment, as well as the Ascension grid. You gain AP as you progress through the game, which you can spend to gain new combat options and other miscellaneous stuff.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

$270 for the collector's edition. That's all you need to know.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Here's the official FF15 youtube channel with all the poo poo we saw tonight in HD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQSuIHSbDFH6Enz3AXeUHaA

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thread title should be Stand By Me IMO.

E: VVV Fair enough.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 31, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Thread title should be Stand By Me IMO.

I considered it, but I think we need that boyband appeal

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It could have been the salvation of the other thread, but now people will come here instead. Well, I'm glad of it. The game looks awesome, and even though I'm not going to be buying the collector's editions, it will still be a day one buy. Thoughts on the dlc, once people have downloaded it?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Having watched the first episode of the anime, I gotta say I loving loved Noct moving the lettuce and tomato off of his burger and onto Ignis's tray.

And holy poo poo every time they release more trailers I get more excited than I think I should. This game is gonna be :krad:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It feels like the lifestream just healed the planet from meteor.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A year ago I laughed at the idea of wanting to play this game, really wanted nothing to do with it. Now that it is almost finally out after being in development for a decade, I really can't wait to play it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The anime episode is 50 percent food and people preparing, ordering, discussing and eating food.

This game is for foodies.

This game is for me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Dark Id posted:

Man I cannot believe they're already circulating spoiler images from Final Fantasy XV.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I've barely been following the game but isn't food a pretty big mechanic in the game? Like you have to eat for various buffs?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so i think i preordered the ultimate edition twice :( also my order sheet is coming up blank on squar enix store. so maybe i didnt order anything. what do i do?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Roflan posted:

I've barely been following the game but isn't food a pretty big mechanic in the game? Like you have to eat for various buffs?

I certainly got that impression from how much they talk it up; there's certainly different types of meals of differing complexities, so it appears to be a somewhat fleshed out mechanic overall. Presumably you collect monster parts to use as ingredients.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i think i preordered the ultimate edition twice :( also my order sheet is coming up blank on squar enix store. so maybe i didnt order anything. what do i do?

It took about 15 min to receive the confirmation email after ordering. I'm sure you'll be able to cancel one of the orders if you did accidentally order two.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No don't cancel keep the second to strike a deal with goons that miss out.

E: I'm half joking, but two, maybe only one, online stores with shipping restrictions is not "worldwide".

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/4ylM4nj.gifv

Aww yeah

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Final Fantasy is loving good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bloodplay it again posted:

It took about 15 min to receive the confirmation email after ordering. I'm sure you'll be able to cancel one of the orders if you did accidentally order two.

I hope so. I am used to gamestop and amazon lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

jabro posted:

$270 for the collector's edition. That's all you need to know.

PS4 version sold out.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

If you go to Gamestop's website without adblocker you see a big ad for FFXV and it says it's for PC. Hope they actually announce that soon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

univbee posted:

PS4 version sold out.

gently caress i didnt get my confirmation

edit: gently caress !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 31, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The scale on Titan is pretty drat impressive, video games aren't always the best at making giant dudes actually look giant.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 31, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I was pretty meh on this game before but holy poo poo

STAND BY ME

I'm preordering this stupid idiot game for stupid idiots. I don't even own a PS4 yet. Eh, whatever, I need to get one for P5 anyway.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i really like florence welch's voice and also the stand by me song so good choice imo squeenix :)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just got through the Platinum Demo. Having not played the previous demo, most of it was neat but it was obvious it was more a tech demo and I was ready for it to be over when I got near the last part. Could have done without the vendor trash enemies, too. The Titan battle, though, sold me on the game.

It is also nice to see the "Modern world that used to be a fantasy world" style in play again that hasn't really been used since 7 and 8.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, I was under the impression the Platinum demo was a bit longer. How long is it exactly?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Oh, I was under the impression the Platinum demo was a bit longer. How long is it exactly?

For me, it was about a half hour, give or take. Maybe longer if you want to collect all the shards and see what the different plates do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just don't see how this game can live up to a decade of hype.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Probably like 45 minutes? You can probably spend longer walking around collecting crystals and marveling at a game with dynamic lighting and weather in 2016 but I was ready for it to be over without doing much of that

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This is going to be the greatest final fantasy since 12. So, pretty much just ignoring 13. I'm excited.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Shinjobi posted:

10 years of hype? It was more like 1 year of hype, 8 years of "meh, it's probably vaporware by now and who wants another game in the FF13 subseries anyway?" followed by a current 1 year of hype again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably like 45 minutes? You can probably spend longer walking around collecting crystals and marveling at a game with dynamic lighting and weather in 2016 but I was ready for it to be over without doing much of that

Yeah, it was mostly "Yo, look at what we can do!". That said, one of the spell items you can get (Star shower, was it?) was really impressive.

Shinjobi posted:

What hype? In fact, I don't think the Final Fantasy name has ever been weaker.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

^^^
Yeah, it was mostly "Yo, look at what we can do!". That said, one of the spell items you can get (Star shower, was it?) was really impressive.

What hype? In fact, I don't think the Final Fantasy name has ever been weaker.

It was Meteorain, one of Cloud's limit breaks :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Should I play the other demo first to get the hang of the combat or does the platinum demo explain it pretty well?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Should I play the other demo first to get the hang of the combat or does the platinum demo explain it pretty well?

It does a decent job, but really, the only real fight is at the end with Titan. Otherwise, it is just holding down the attack button to beat down the Kingdom Hearts enemies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe you should make a GBS thread about it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe I will.

But I won't, actually.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I can't put my finger on it, but I really don't like the combat in this game. Hold O and fall asleep. And I'm that guy who liked 11 and 13's combat systems :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

I can't put my finger on it, but I really don't like the combat in this game. Hold O and fall asleep. And I'm that guy who liked 11 and 13's combat systems :smith:

It felt really jank to me but I didn't play the first demo and felt like maybe I was doing it wrong. The game running pretty horribly didn't do the feeling any favors either

• Locked thread