Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I worked transports I had a dude out of the head shed who had tried to blow his brains out.

Well, tried to isn't the right word, because he definitely did, he was just still alive with a crater for half his head.

And hair was growing in the crater. :barf:

This, but half his jaw.

Edit: Though yeah, I have seen someone with half a cranium more or less. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

When I worked transports I had a dude out of the head shed who had tried to blow his brains out.

Well, tried to isn't the right word, because he definitely did, he was just still alive with a crater for half his head.

And hair was growing in the crater. :barf:

so you recognize that you're doing a really, really bad thing by keeping these people alive, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cumslut1895 posted:

so you recognize that you're doing a really, really bad thing by keeping these people alive, right?

Yeah, I hated it, too, which is why I stopped doing transports and only do 911's now. Nursing homes (especially ones with vent units) are full of people who have zero quality of life but are kept alive because family members just can't let go.

Not like I could have done anything about it, anyway, since murdering people in your ambulance is frowned upon.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Not like I could have done anything about it, anyway, since murdering people in your ambulance is frowned upon.

the idea that murdering someone healthy is worse than keeping someone alive in that state is ridiculous. I'd rather be burnt alive

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Cumslut1895 posted:

You realise that paramedics can't use their personal opinions to over-ride their legal obligations, right? There'd be very few resuscitations started at all if they could.

Hell, even if head shed guy had a medical alert bracelet and an advance directive on his person, the fact that he was a psych patient would make honouring it a potential minefield.

Emergency/trauma workers have a lovely enough job as it is without trying to make them feel guilty about doing it. There's a good reason why many paramedics and ED staff have a blanket DNR under any circumstances directive for themselves. Unfortunately, in the field - and even in the ED - there isn't time for conversations about futile care and the cascade of interventions usually won't cease unless death intervenes before the patient makes it to the ICU (even then it may take a couple of days until families grasp the likely outcome).

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lolie posted:

You realise that paramedics can't use their personal opinions to over-ride their legal obligations, right? There'd be very few resuscitations started at all if they could.

yes, you can. there'll be consequences for you, but you can do it.

Lolie posted:

Emergency/trauma workers have a lovely enough job as it is without trying to make them feel guilty about doing it. There's a good reason why many paramedics and ED staff have a blanket DNR under any circumstances directive for themselves. Unfortunately, in the field - and even in the ED - there isn't time for conversations about futile care and the cascade of interventions usually won't cease unless death intervenes before the patient makes it to the ICU (even then it may take a couple of days until families grasp the likely outcome).

well I wouldn't want the person torturing me to feel guilty

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lolie posted:

there isn't time for conversations about futile care and the cascade of interventions usually won't cease unless death intervenes before the patient makes it to the ICU (even then it may take a couple of days until families grasp the likely outcome).

Seriously, have a DNR. If you go into cardiac arrest outside of the hospital, you have a 95 percent chance of either:

1)Staying dead right then and there. This is the best outcome.

2)Circling the drain in the ICU for 3-4 days, THEN dying.

3) 2, but instead of dying all the way, your vegetative semi-corpse gets to be neglected by indifferent nursing staff and shuttled around for a while.

The rate of people signing DNR's goes up dramatically when they're properly informed of what CPR actually involves, and the likely outcomes.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Oh, gently caress off.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, gently caress off.

If I get johnny-got-his-gunned you going to prison for killing me would be worth it.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Cumslut1895 posted:

Bad news. Welcome to healthcare. Feel free to swing by the healthcare story thread if you wish to delve the depths of borderline necromancy.

For EMS it is a liability and they have to transport these patients. To be fair I have seen some trauma surgeons work miracles. However, have also frequently been visited by my buddy "Frank".

He put a .45 under his chin. It obliterated his jaw, maxilla, nose and optic nerves. Shuffles around like a Dementor. Blind, with a gaping, drooling hole where his jaws and nose once were. Frequently comes into the ER when his trach gets clogged because his lovely nursing home doesn't ever out loving humidified air on his trach.

He's the nicest guy in the world, and a god drat tragedy.

Healthcare is full of guys like that. It is also full of wraith like grandmas that family loves just a little too much to let go. You end up with this shriveled up corpse of a person with feeding tubes and a trach and dialysis catheters sticking out of all sorts of places. Breathing off of one machine, eating from another, and getting the piss scrubbed out of your blood by third. He'll and if your heart fails now, we can drop a device in to make that pump for you too! You know to buy you just a little more quantity of life.

However, back to your initial point, fortunately traumatic arrests are considered incompatible with life, and obvious signs of incompatibility with life are a solid reason to just call the ME.

Also you're an rear end in a top hat.

trauma llama fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 15, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

trauma llama posted:

Bad news. Welcome to healthcare. Feel free to swing by the healthcare story thread if you wish to delve the depths of borderline necromancy.

For EMS it is a liability and they have to transport these patients. To be fair I have seen some trauma surgeons work miracles. However, have also frequently been visited by my buddy "Frank".

He put a .45 under his chin. It obliterated his jaw, maxilla, nose and optic nerves. Shuffles around like a Dementor. Blind, with a gaping, drooling hole where his jaws and nose once were. Frequently comes into the ER when his trach gets clogged because his lovely nursing home doesn't ever out loving humidified air on his trach.

He's the nicest guy in the world, and a god drat tragedy.

Healthcare is full of guys like that. It is also full of wraith like grandmas that family loves just a little too much to let go. You end up with this shriveled up corpse of a person with feeding tubes and a trach and dialysis catheters sticking out of all sorts of places. Breathing off of one machine, eating from another, and getting the piss scrubbed out of your blood by third. He'll and if your heart fails now, we can drop a device in to make that pump for you too! You know to buy you just a little more quantity of life.

However, back to your initial point, fortunately traumatic arrests are considered incompatible with life, and obvious signs of incompatibility with life are a solid reason to just call the ME.

It's probably a good thing I'm not a doctor, because I'd probably try to kill some of these people.

edit: would you get fired for sitting these people down and telling them what they're putting the people they "love" through?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: would you get fired for sitting these people down and telling them what they're putting the people they "love" through?

No, not at all. Educating patients and family is N unsavory but absolutely necessary part of the job. Unfortunately it's really something that we have to start in the ED and work on in the icu or floors. There just no time to do that prehospital. Regardless of how we educate families, we cannot account for how the handle or embrace our education. Many choose to ignore it or are incapable of processing the fact that grandma is no longer there, we are just keeping her corpse breathing as some perverse science experiment.

This week, I've already had a family tell the palliative care consult to gently caress off, and I've only taken care of 4 patients in the time frame. Again, family wants a trach and peg on a daily dialysis patient teetering on the brink of fatal multisystem organ failure.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Seriously, have a DNR. If you go into cardiac arrest outside of the hospital, you have a 95 percent chance of either:

1)Staying dead right then and there. This is the best outcome.

2)Circling the drain in the ICU for 3-4 days, THEN dying.

3) 2, but instead of dying all the way, your vegetative semi-corpse gets to be neglected by indifferent nursing staff and shuttled around for a while.

The rate of people signing DNR's goes up dramatically when they're properly informed of what CPR actually involves, and the likely outcomes.

Oh, gently caress off.

I agree with you about having a DNR (and advance directives, and medical proxies), but responders need to be aware of it. It's not going to do you much good if you collapse in a shopping centre and you're not wearing a medicalert bracelet which states DNR and carrying the paperwork on you.

We used to have a thing called "vial of life" here. It was a plastic bottle containing a summary of your medical conditions and the medication you were taking and you kept it one in your fridge and one in your handbag/car glove box. Ambos knew to look on the fridge for a sticker indicating there was a vial of life inside or the glovebox of your car. We need something similar for DNRs.

Presuming that a person who doesn't want medical care would not call an ambulance for themselves, the person calling it either doesn't know about the DNR or knows about it but intends to over-ride it - it's not going to get honoured unless the paramedics are alerted to its existence and its location.

There's also the Catch-22 of encouraging the general public to learn CPR. Members of the public who call 000 here are going to be talked through CPR if they don't already know how to do it. You're going to have a hard time convincing the general public that they shouldn't call for an ambulance if they witness someone collapse/find someone collapsed. Even knowing the likely outcomes, I'm not sure I could intentionally not call a ambulance next time I see an old person go down.

I have a love/hate relationship with heroic medicine. I fully recognise that many people have high quality lives today because of what was once considered heroic medicine, but I also believe that until any heroic intervention has a high rate of good outcomes people should be told the numbers as early as possible just as they are with informed consent in the more general sense. Doctors who are vague about this and leave it to nurses to explain the realities after families have made choices based on inaccurate information deserve a special place in hell.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 15, 2016

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Cumslut1895 posted:

a) Bodily autonomy is a thing. I don't get to make decisions about your body and your life just because you aren't present to change your directives. If your decision involved letting your family decide for you, I don't get to override that. Sorry. Get a strong advance directive.

b) For every handful of veggies in a nursing home, there's a person whose stroke three months ago is already showing signs of improvement, or a person with a razor-sharp mind trapped in a body that doesn't work so well (but lets them see their grandchildren), or a person who will overcome the odds and walk again after the wreck. When they're septic, they all look like corpses, and you don't have time to sit down with the handoff nurse and ask if they're a sweet soul who paints with a homemade apparatus or if they just always look like this gray sack of crap. Hell, uroseptic little old grannies who'll get 250 of saline and a round of piperacillin and be at home next week making brownies, by the time they come to the ICU they look like withered potatoes forgotten on top of the fridge. You have literally no way to know on first contact what this person looked like yesterday or what they'll look like tomorrow. You can't make the decision to murder someone based on what they look like when you load them in the ambulance.

c) Over time, if you're picking up the same people with the same problems from the same places, you have the option to talk to the admitting facility and request a social service check on the facility. This happens regularly where I live and has been one of the most important checks on nursing/rehab home corruption and neglect. You could murder a dude, or you could get the facility shut down and save all the other people there.

d) Hospital staff regularly care for convicted child rapists, murderers, and neo-nazis; people with terminal illnesses who are still refusing DNR despite the pain; people who physically and verbally assault them; and people who scream for death during dressing changes that we inflict on them with our own hands. We still don't get to make those decisions. We can "fire" a pt if we don't feel physically or psychologically safe caring for them, and we have higher-up support to eject dangerous pts, assign guardians ad litum, declare ongoing support to be medically futile, convict our pts of crimes, investigate their homes and facilities for neglect, counsel their family members about death and dying... Those roles exist, but we don't perform them.

e) Refusing life support for a person who looks pretty veggie, not knowing if they have a decent quality of life or explicitly stated prior wishes, potentially destroying evidence of abuse that might affect other patients, and bypassing the already-existing framework of decision making, counseling, investigation, and ethics... you're talking about not only committing murder, but removing yourself from the limited and desperately needed pool of people who can perform rescues for the many, many people who need you. You go to prison for mercy killing that one guy from the nursing home with half a skull, and next week your buddies are killing themselves trying to cover your shifts because you're in jail now, and the ambulance is just two minutes later than it should have been, and somebody's father dies at the age of 55.

In short, health care is not a place for knee-jerk responses without comprehension of ethics or nuance. Stop making GBS threads on people who save lives because you think some lives aren't worth saving.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Great job studying for months/years to become a paramedic! Please blow away all your hard work so you can feel morally justified this one time you euthanized a patient. :jerkbag:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
the death wagons aren't running calls yet, or I would have signed up for a shift already.

Thanks, Obama.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Anybody see/have any weird superstitions? I knew a guy who wouldn't eat chicken on duty, because he thought it'd make the calls come. There's also the dreaded "q word" and, of course, never, ever take your boots off if your crew is next up.

Just me personally. I try to avoid dropping Cosby's off at the pool at a certain fire station here. I always seem to get a call while in the middle of it and it's usually something I have to show some urgency for like a cardiac arrest or a trauma

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the train home, dude is clearly having a heart attack. Other people are responding, I'm just staying there because I'm barely qualified EMT-B and have never actually been employed as such. Plus side, 911 called, train stopped at next station, they got the guy an aspirin, give him room, call his wife, but then they break out the AED while the guy is still conscious. The AED doesn't shock him, as expected, but then it starts giving instructions to start CPR on the fully conscious dude who is sweaty, starting to get delirious, and clutching his chest, but still sitting up in hit seat and can verbalize his arm is numb. They start giving him "CPR" with one hand with the AED going "press, press, press, press" freaking the dude out who is now moaning "oh god" over and over again, and I was just :catstare: before having to stand up and tell them to knock it off and turn off the AED.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

my sis in law is a nursing student who volunteers with the ems and thats how i learned that sometimes people call 911 because they fell over and are too fat to get up

Good old "lift assists" :allears:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

baquerd posted:

On the train home, dude is clearly having a heart attack. Other people are responding, I'm just staying there because I'm barely qualified EMT-B and have never actually been employed as such. Plus side, 911 called, train stopped at next station, they got the guy an aspirin, give him room, call his wife, but then they break out the AED while the guy is still conscious. The AED doesn't shock him, as expected, but then it starts giving instructions to start CPR on the fully conscious dude who is sweaty, starting to get delirious, and clutching his chest, but still sitting up in hit seat and can verbalize his arm is numb. They start giving him "CPR" with one hand with the AED going "press, press, press, press" freaking the dude out who is now moaning "oh god" over and over again, and I was just :catstare: before having to stand up and tell them to knock it off and turn off the AED.

Why would the AED instruct CPR on someone who's heart is still beating? :psyduck: lovely programming I guess?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it detects a weird rhythm

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

elise the great posted:

a) Bodily autonomy is a thing. I don't get to make decisions about your body and your life just because you aren't present to change your directives. If your decision involved letting your family decide for you, I don't get to override that. Sorry. Get a strong advance directive.

b) For every handful of veggies in a nursing home, there's a person whose stroke three months ago is already showing signs of improvement, or a person with a razor-sharp mind trapped in a body that doesn't work so well (but lets them see their grandchildren), or a person who will overcome the odds and walk again after the wreck. When they're septic, they all look like corpses, and you don't have time to sit down with the handoff nurse and ask if they're a sweet soul who paints with a homemade apparatus or if they just always look like this gray sack of crap. Hell, uroseptic little old grannies who'll get 250 of saline and a round of piperacillin and be at home next week making brownies, by the time they come to the ICU they look like withered potatoes forgotten on top of the fridge. You have literally no way to know on first contact what this person looked like yesterday or what they'll look like tomorrow. You can't make the decision to murder someone based on what they look like when you load them in the ambulance.

c) Over time, if you're picking up the same people with the same problems from the same places, you have the option to talk to the admitting facility and request a social service check on the facility. This happens regularly where I live and has been one of the most important checks on nursing/rehab home corruption and neglect. You could murder a dude, or you could get the facility shut down and save all the other people there.

d) Hospital staff regularly care for convicted child rapists, murderers, and neo-nazis; people with terminal illnesses who are still refusing DNR despite the pain; people who physically and verbally assault them; and people who scream for death during dressing changes that we inflict on them with our own hands. We still don't get to make those decisions. We can "fire" a pt if we don't feel physically or psychologically safe caring for them, and we have higher-up support to eject dangerous pts, assign guardians ad litum, declare ongoing support to be medically futile, convict our pts of crimes, investigate their homes and facilities for neglect, counsel their family members about death and dying... Those roles exist, but we don't perform them.

e) Refusing life support for a person who looks pretty veggie, not knowing if they have a decent quality of life or explicitly stated prior wishes, potentially destroying evidence of abuse that might affect other patients, and bypassing the already-existing framework of decision making, counseling, investigation, and ethics... you're talking about not only committing murder, but removing yourself from the limited and desperately needed pool of people who can perform rescues for the many, many people who need you. You go to prison for mercy killing that one guy from the nursing home with half a skull, and next week your buddies are killing themselves trying to cover your shifts because you're in jail now, and the ambulance is just two minutes later than it should have been, and somebody's father dies at the age of 55.

In short, health care is not a place for knee-jerk responses without comprehension of ethics or nuance. Stop making GBS threads on people who save lives because you think some lives aren't worth saving.

You raise what for me is a key point. I want to decide for myself what "quality of life" is and how much suffering is acceptable. I especially want people to acknowledge that "suffering" is not limited to pain and that death is often a prolonged, ugly process during which the patient suffers unnecessary distress leaving their love ones with horrific memories of their final days/hours. I don't want that for myself, and I certainly don't want that to be my family's last memory of me.

I've been health care proxy for others and it's a terrible burden in some ways. I've seen people who had very clear ideas about acceptable quality of life when it was a theoretical question drastically change their ideas when actually faced with degenerative/terminal illness. I've seen people opt for familiarity over comfort and I've seen the horror of what often passes for keeping someone "comfortable". My own wishes include terminal sedation, but I may feel differently down the track so it's important that I keep my directives updated and my kids aware of my wishes. End of life care wishes isn't a discussion to be had once and then forgotten about.

As far as aged care facilities go, many emergency and acute care workers don't understand the bureaucracy in which they're tied down. I have one child who works in aged care and one who works in acute care. My son was having a grumble one day about aged care facilities sending their patients to hospital for things he felt should be handled on an outpatient basis and was horrified when my daughter told him exactly why that happens. That aged care facilities are often prevented by regulations from being able to offer the care the patient needs and must manipulate the system to get the patient that care had truly never occurred to him. What he had perceived as laziness was actually an extreme form of patient advocacy - something about which he is very passionate.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 15, 2016

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

XYZ posted:

Why would the AED instruct CPR on someone who's heart is still beating? :psyduck: lovely programming I guess?

AED isn't smart enough to realize the user is trying to operate it on a concious person.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

love this thread, but can we get a quick list of common EMT acronyms/slang in the OP or a link to such or something? sometimes I feel like you guys fill your stories with medic mumbo jumbo just to sound im-por-tint :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

elise the great posted:

Thank you for this post. Unironically.

(Also, your stories from work are amazing and make fantastic dinner reading. I might be a bit jaded.)

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

baquerd posted:

I've heard of at least two separate incidents where bystanders were giving chest compressions to a guy going "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!"

Also, be careful when doing stuff off duty because once you say "I'm an EMT," there's possible legal bullshit to deal with if you don't stay with the person until you hand them off to a higher/equal level of care. I stopped for a guy who collapsed in a crosswalk once, and he just turned out to be an angry drunk. When I sternal rubbed him, he got up and started swinging at me before staggering off.

Just remember, when you're off duty you have no uniform, no radio, no gear, and no backup. Act accordingly.

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010
used to work in a hospital kitchen, just delivering meals, getting dishes, etc and i swear to god you guys are the last people left in the medical field who don't act like they poo poo pure gold.

no cool stories here, just saw a lot of dead bodies and hideous triage poo poo from delivering to the ER and ICU. i quit six months in after i got tired of the ever-constant trauma and despair from having to deliver meals to every part of the hospital. gently caress comfort care prep tbh.

props to you guys. you always got free coffee from me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
We had a cardiac arrest on the side of a god drat mountain today. It was... Well, ever do CPR in the back of a pickup truck? Definitely a call I'll remember.

And the thing is, cardiac arrests aren't very common. Today was my second cardiac arrest ever. My first was the story I posted that happened a week ago, and I've been doing this for almost two years now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just started reading that end of shift report blog, great stuff. That diabetes story in the first couple of posts was informative/horrifying.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

We had a cardiac arrest on the side of a god drat mountain today. It was... Well, ever do CPR in the back of a pickup truck? Definitely a call I'll remember.

And the thing is, cardiac arrests aren't very common. Today was my second cardiac arrest ever. My first was the story I posted that happened a week ago, and I've been doing this for almost two years now.

Army medic for 3 years, EMT in Phoenix for 3 as well. First cardiac arrest was on March 2nd of this year.

My partner had 7 in his first month on clinicals, then none after that.

It's totally up to chance.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My father-in-law is 280 pounds, has diabetes, congestive heart failure on the side that makes you retain fluid in the legs, and is in his third bout with multiple myeloma. He's ended up on the floor a couple of times, although that's been a while, and it was always a gentle 'slide down to the floor'. We've been lucky to not have to call EMS to help get him up off the floor yet, but we've been trying to decide what we'll do when we can't get him up, or if he had a hard fall. Would a lift like this: amazon be usable in a ranch-style home, and would you guys be relieved to see something like that if you got called out? If he actually fell hard, we'd never move him without EMS,

I mean, ultimately what would be most ideal is a collapsible frame that we could unfold above him like a tripod that would be able to pick him straight up, that we could roll his wheelchair under, but I don't even know how to start searching for something like that.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Not "compressions on an alert guy", but I had a patient in respiratory failure that spontaniously regained consiousness when we started bagging him. One problem - he still wasnt breathing. So he'd go out again when we stopped because, you know, consious.

So, my medic hands the patient the BVM and has him giving himself breaths as we wheel him into the ER.

ER staff looked at us like we had two heads.

I heard that he had nerve damage that killed his respiratory effort.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

kizudarake posted:

My father-in-law is 280 pounds, has diabetes, congestive heart failure on the side that makes you retain fluid in the legs, and is in his third bout with multiple myeloma. He's ended up on the floor a couple of times, although that's been a while, and it was always a gentle 'slide down to the floor'. We've been lucky to not have to call EMS to help get him up off the floor yet, but we've been trying to decide what we'll do when we can't get him up, or if he had a hard fall. Would a lift like this: amazon be usable in a ranch-style home, and would you guys be relieved to see something like that if you got called out? If he actually fell hard, we'd never move him without EMS,

I mean, ultimately what would be most ideal is a collapsible frame that we could unfold above him like a tripod that would be able to pick him straight up, that we could roll his wheelchair under, but I don't even know how to start searching for something like that.

We do these a lot, they're typically called "lift assists" and my service (and many others around here) have recently started billing for them. One offs aren't so bad, but the general consensus is that this isn't really the purview of EMS to go pick people up off of the floor unless they're going to the hospital. One of the main catastrophic career enders for EMS is back injury.

Most of us would definitely be happy to see a Hoyer lift with bigger patients! Those things are in fact very nice, and even the type that you linked, generally fits most homes. There's tons of home health stuff out there, you could almost certainly find something that would work for your situation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kizudarake posted:

A tripod like you describe doesn't exist (or at least I've not seen one in over 6 years of fulltime EMS work. But the lift you linked would also work to put him into a wheelchair in theory, you would need to get the lift pad/net thing to put under your FIL, attach it to the hooks, and then up you go, should be able to maneuver a wheelchair under him at that time. I would seek out some training/youtube videos on how to operate the lift so you don't screw up and hurt yourselves and/or FIL of course.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

UrielX posted:

We do these a lot, they're typically called "lift assists" and my service (and many others around here) have recently started billing for them. One offs aren't so bad, but the general consensus is that this isn't really the purview of EMS to go pick people up off of the floor unless they're going to the hospital. One of the main catastrophic career enders for EMS is back injury.

Most of us would definitely be happy to see a Hoyer lift with bigger patients! Those things are in fact very nice, and even the type that you linked, generally fits most homes. There's tons of home health stuff out there, you could almost certainly find something that would work for your situation.

So, uh how much do you charge for one of those? Is there any discount if you're < 200lbs but really lazy? I'm asking for a friend.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

The Nards Pan posted:

So, uh how much do you charge for one of those? Is there any discount if you're < 200lbs but really lazy? I'm asking for a friend.

Honestly I'm not sure regarding the billing side for a lift assist. We now have to do full PCR+refusal for any lift assist, whereas before it was "lift assist only". All of this stuff can vary pretty substantially by region, so wherever you are, may not do it. I do know our 2 major insurance carriers up here do not cover refusals.

In part it has to do with the issue of injuries and on calls that wasn't being billed.
Another aspect I think has to do with EMS being used as the "catch-all", which is definitely not our purpose. I've had calls to move furniture, do minor household repairs,etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

UrielX posted:

Honestly I'm not sure regarding the billing side for a lift assist. We now have to do full PCR+refusal for any lift assist, whereas before it was "lift assist only". All of this stuff can vary pretty substantially by region, so wherever you are, may not do it. I do know our 2 major insurance carriers up here do not cover refusals.

We do the same thing because we were just getting too loving many lift assist calls, and when you don't bill for it people feel like it's okay to call EMS 4 times a day to help move grandma onto or off of the crapper. Our volunteer fire departments used to help with these, but they stopped for the exact same reason, just too drat many calls for the same stupid poo poo.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Massive Headwound Harry (http://www.hulu.com/watch/4155) <-- go on, click it

One night, I'm dispatched on a call of a drunk guy stumbling around outside a row of apartment buildings on campus. While I am still en route, a second caller reports that the drunk guy is bleeding. I have dispatch go ahead and roll a medic.

I pull up the same time as my backup, and we start looking for this drunk guy. The other officer finds bloody footprints leading up the stairs to the front door of one the buildings. So we follow the footprints inside and up the stairs to an apartment with an open door. No answer when we yell inside, so we follow the footprints, which lead us to a closed door. We knock and yell, but still get no answer, so we open the door to what turns out to be a bedroom.

The bedroom is pretty small, with a bunk bed in the middle of the room. And sticking off the end of the top bunk, facing the door right at eye level, is two vaguely foot shaped pieces of hamburger. Turns out drunk guy had lost his shoes at some point in the evening, and his route home had taken him through every alley and over every broken bottle that ever existed. The other officer goes up the left side of the bed and attempts to wake drunk guy up, and I go downstairs to lead the medic crew in.

I bring the medic up, and the other officer reports that drunk guy is drunk as hell, and barely responsive to sternal rubs. The medics bandage up his feet and then ask for help backboarding him. I squeeze up the right-hand side of the bed to help with the roll, and immediately realize that alcohol may not be the only reason drunk guy is unresponsive. A piece of his scalp about 6 inches wide, from just above his ear almost to the crown of his head, is missing. Completely gone. Bloody bone and bits of skin and hair.

I alert the medics, and we rapidly get him c-collared, backboarded, and loaded. (This was an adventure in itself, as the building was built sometime in the 1930's, with narrow hallways and steep staircases)

As the medic is pulling out, I start backtracking the bloody footprints to see if I can find out what happened to this guy. Two buildings down, I find the scene of the crime. Turns out he had stumbled down a narrow walkway between two buildings, then tripped and fell against the edge of the concrete steps of the building. The missing piece of his scalp was pasted to the side the building like some sort of hairy party flier.

He survived. Hairline skull fracture and skin grafts on head and feet. When they ran his labs at the hospital, his BAC was .43.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

The Nards Pan posted:

I don't know, but if it were up to me it'd be an extra $500 if I have to negotiate your fat rear end out of a goddamned bath tub.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Is it true that crazier nights often fall on full moons, or is that more/less confirmation bias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Airborne Viking posted:

Is it true that crazier nights often fall on full moons, or is that more/less confirmation bias?

Confirmation bias- except on weekends during the school year. More light means the kids stay out later, get drunker, and do stupider poo poo.

• Locked thread