Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What’s this about?

Archer is a show about the World’s Most Dangerous Spy, Sterling Archer and tracks his misadventures with the world’s most chickenshit outfit!

The first five seasons of Archer are available on Netflix Instant View, and Season 6 is out as well. Other countries have had it out for some time now, so if you want a fix of the show, check it out there or scour the internet for something.

When does it come back?

:siren: Archer returns to FX on March 31 at 10 PM :siren:

Why is it coming back so late?

Archer typically debuts its new season in January, but the creative team delayed the start of the season to shake up the formula once again. Unlike Season 5, where the cast stayed in New York despite ISIS being broken up, the team moves to California in search of greener pastures. This interview with series creator Adam Reed covers the changes being made this year.

So who is in this chickenshit outfit?

A good question! Archer is comprised of a small cast of characters that each has a backstory and a whole lot of inside jokes, so if you’ve been watching for a while, you’ll know a lot of them. If you haven’t, I’ll provide a brief summary of who exactly these people are.

Sterling Archer (voiced by H. Jon Benjamin)

The guy the show is named after. Self proclaimed greatest spy in the world. Undercover name is typically a variation on Randy. Loves Burt Reynolds. Doesn't know who his father is. Massive drinker (only drinks socially though!). Possibly autistic. Has bad ears. Everyone hates him, but can’t deny that he always ends up saving their asses. Father to Lana’s daughter, Abbiejean.

Lana Kane (voiced by Aisha Tyler)

Probable deuteragonist. The only reasonably minded person on the show. Bossy as all hell. Has massive hands. Not as above it all as she thinks. Loves the environment, hates immigrants. Dated Archer before the show, now in a quasi-relationship with Archer. Her parents are Keith David and CCH Pounder. Has a child with Archer, named Abbiejean.

Pam Poovey (voiced by Amber Nash)

One time HR rep for ISIS, full time badass. Probably the breakout character of the show. Farm girl, has insane strength, consistently clowns everyone. Had a cocaine addiction in Season 5, but she’s better now.

Algernop Krieger (voiced by Lucky Yates)

A doctor in name only. Mad scientist, and actually a Boy from Brazil. Suspicious experiments are his trademark. Married to a hologram of an anime woman (legally allowed by the state of New York). Has a van named after different Rush albums. Another one of the breakout characters of the show. Possibly even the most human character, believe it or not

Ray Gillette (voiced by Adam Reed)

Pilot and bomb expert. Gay, and everyone says something about it. Crippled, then a cyborg, crippled again, now more cyborg than ever. From West Virginia, and tries his best to hide his hillbilly past. Has a black hand after an incident in Tuntmore Manor. Generally one of the more reasonable characters.

Cyril Figgis (voiced by Chris Parnell)

One time financial expert for ISIS, then a lawyer when ISIS went under. Alleged sex addict and serial masturbator. Actually competent in the field once. Notoriously bad shot, however. The whipping boy of the group, but has had some moments of power. Season 7 is said to expand his role, much to the chagrin of the Archers.

Cheryl/Carol Tunt (voiced by Judy Greer)

Insane is probably the best word to describe her. Is worth a stupid amount of money, and would probably bankroll the team if she didn't hate them so much. Ancestors were super racist though. Loves burning things to the ground, eating glue, and getting choked. Thrives off emotional and physical abuse. Often makes visits to a gypsy woman. Once ethered Lana it was actually cringeworthy. No one's quite sure what her real name is, but she was once Cherlene, a country singer of some renown. Pam is her best friend.

Malory Archer (voiced by Jessica Walter)

Archer’s mother, and possibly Lucille Bluth in animated form. The head of ISIS at one time, and a spy in her youth. Probably used a musket when she was in the field. The reason for many of the team’s missions, which were often used to put money in her pocket to renovate her office. Desperate for attention, and for men of wealth and/or power. Has a weird relationship with Archer, and everyone comments on it.

Promotional Material/Preseason Notes

The lead up to Season 7 has been heavy with images of the cast in their California setting.

Where we last saw our merry band...

Here they are now, re-enacting Magnum P.I.

The new setting of the season is in California, where the crew are detectives under Cyril's command.

There are seven teasers for this season, so be sure to check them out. The animation is in top notch superb detail like last season, and the outfits seem to have been updated, so there's a whole fresh vibe to this season, which is really cool!

A tribute to George Coe, who passed away last year. This probably means Woodhouse is dead too, as he wasn't seen at all last season :smith:

Episode Discussion

This space will contain links to the live posts of the episode, so should you be inclined to see thoughts during and after an episode.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I got mail from Netflix a couple days ago saying season 6 was available

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Is there any way to watch these teasers outside of US?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So it's been confirmed that Ray's actually alive and not, like, some manner of the living-dead, or the manifestation of everyone's collective guilt?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We better not start a Head Ray controversy :argh:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
No Woodhouse memorial in the OP. 1/5 Would vote zero if I could.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

counterfeitsaint posted:

:smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Great OP, but no Cheryl? She isn't being written out of the show, is she?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I want Woodhouse to come back as a cyborg with a younger body. I also want him to beat the poo poo out of Archer, I think he's earned that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought I linked to the tribute they put out over the summer :(

Edit: and I'm now realizing I left out Cheryl, I knew I was forgetting something! I'll put her in as soon as I get back to my computer

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Carlosologist posted:

I thought I linked to the tribute they put out over the summer :(

You did, but still no Cheryl. :colbert:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

There's a hidden scavenger hunt/puzzle thing again this year.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I updated the OP with a short profile on Cheryl. I think that covers everything! Tonight's episode is...

The Figgis Agency

Archer breaks into a mansion to restore the honor of a Hollywood actress.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So are we still doing phrasing?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

TMMadman posted:

So are we still doing phrasing?

Do you not?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Aumanor posted:

Is there any way to watch these teasers outside of US?

Seconded

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Who's ready to rampage?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

smashpro1 posted:

Who's ready to rampage?

Modified limited rampage?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

TMMadman posted:

Modified limited rampage?

Pamrage!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

i am so ready

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aaaaand we're back!

That was certainly an opening scene :stare:

and a new opening sequence!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Something about bears?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
California is assholes!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

earballs!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Is it just me or does Pam look larger than normal?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

So, Krieger still hasn't fixed Ray's robolegs.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo at that Charlie's Angels bumper out.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A folksy B.A. Baracus

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

smashpro1 posted:

Also Ray still has a black hand/arm.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Weak Bloodlines Foundation

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

smashpro1 posted:

Hah!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oughta call it the Week Bloodlines Foundation

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mancy Drew

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And a lovely weave!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Malory sounds normal again! Huzzah!

Also she's right about LA. It's great to buy booze anywhere you want.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm pretty sure chickens give live birth, like sharks?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aww, sleepy babies!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Eat a dick gravity.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

That fall was Homer Simpson down Springfield Gorge level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Woohoooo! PAINKILLERS!

• Locked thread