Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
In regards to the butter/coffee thing, I once went to an Ethiopian place that made their own coffee (even had a ceremony and stuff) and it was delicious.

Also in regards to coffee people here love to drink coffee so there are lots of coffee places everywhere. People also like to be all loving trendy when drinking their coffee here which means places like this exist.
I don't mind the whole "artisan trend or anything, but sometimes it feels like it gets to the point of being "too fancy for it's own good", like some kind elitist pissing contest, and Platform 7 is definitely trying it's hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I saw Andrew Zimmern drink butter coffee this morning, he also had some salted coffee.

All the Ethiopians laughed at him as he drank this stuff btw.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

"Life hacks" for food products (ok, not all of them but still):

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
I appreciate how those whiplash between weird diet food and weird Midwestern church potluck food. I believe the intersection of that venn diagram is "Mormon housewife" which would explain a lot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That apple sandwich is ridiculously impractical. All the peanut butter is just going to squish out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some of these are a bit weird but most of them sound fine and several of them are just normal things that people do all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Onion dip mix in hamburger :captainpop: What a crazy renegade!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
IDK outside of the American south you get strange looks for putting salt on fruit. My family is from Florida and I grew up in the country so I've always salted my grapefruit, cantaloupe and watermelon but its not a common thing around here by an stretch.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The only times I've gotten weird looks from people when I was salting my watermelon were from white people, which means that I'm probably doing something right with my food. I can't speak for all of Asia, but I've definitely seen it in East Asia, namely Taiwan and Japan.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK outside of the American south you get strange looks for putting salt on fruit. My family is from Florida and I grew up in the country so I've always salted my grapefruit, cantaloupe and watermelon but its not a common thing around here by an stretch.

That's honestly so much better than dipping grapefruit in a bowl of sugar.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sea salted apples are the bomb.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

This stuff is amazing on fruit, it's basically that Lucas candy stuff in a big bottle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Picnic Princess posted:

That apple sandwich is ridiculously impractical. All the peanut butter is just going to squish out.

If you baked it it would probably be pretty good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst one is chocolate chip stuffed raspberries. What a horrible texture combo.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

NESguerilla posted:

The worst one is chocolate chip stuffed raspberries. What a horrible texture combo.

not only that but it's so much effort for so little payoff. Most of those would probably be pretty good once in a while. Gonna try that apple pie float for sure.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

NESguerilla posted:

Raspberry flavour and white chocolate flavour = good
Therefore
Raspberry and all chocolate = better, more authentic

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some cold hard chocolate chip stuck into one sounds so gross. it would just ruin the texture of the raspberry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get how anyone enjoys the texture of raspberries in the first place. They just feel gross to eat with all those little hairs on them.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Some cold hard chocolate chip stuck into one sounds so gross. it would just ruin the texture of the raspberry.

Cold? Are you keeping your chocolate chips in the fridge or something? You don't have to

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Acting like a room temp choc chip surrounded by a tasty layer of fresh raspberry is some sort of repulsive unholy union leads me to believe you're a person who thinks you need to keep chocolate chips in the fridge, and that's just stupid and you're stupid

mania
Sep 9, 2004

biopanda posted:

I assume those people are doing it wrong, because that looks pretty... unappetizing at best. The few times I've had it, it's always been ran through a blender which works the butter into the coffee and makes it look and taste pretty similar to a latte.

Nah, that's the way it's done here. Literally a slab of butter dumped into coffee. Some places even serve the butter on the side and you can put it in yourself. I did look up the blended butter coffee and it looks way more appetising.

Wedemeyer posted:

But. Then what the gently caress is creamer for?

It's supposed to be an addition, not a substitution for creamer. From what I've gathered from my dad, back in granddad's day, the butter was supposed to give extra energy and since butter is considered 'cooling', it was used to balance the "heatiness" of coffee. It's mostly an older generation thing, outside of the one coffee shop that's known for serving butter coffee that all the food bloggers flock to, the only people I've seen drinking butter coffee are old folks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Picnic Princess posted:

That's honestly so much better than dipping grapefruit in a bowl of sugar.

People do not believe me when I say it makes the grapefruit taste sweeter but it really does. Apples at least are an easier sell to most people because people put salty stuff on apples all the time (cheese, peanut butter, etc), salted caramel apples are also extremely good. I got some of that insanely pricey wine flavored sea salt from my girlfriends insane rich grandpa (along with a really large amount of jam and pancake syrup, he's a very strange man) and it is amazing on grapefruit but once I run out of it I'm probably never going to buy it again because gently caress paying ~10 bucks and ounce for specialty salts.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Well, I just made myself a cup of coffee with butter in it. It smelt of butter, it tasted of butter and left some buttery grease in my mouth and on my lips. I probably will not be making it again tomorrow.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Don't ruin my raspberries with your chocolate!

That "apple sandwich" looks like a fun snack for kids, though.

edit: Yak butter tea is creamy and the butter doesn't rise to the top. This is partially because there is flour in it and it helps keep things from separating. Bulletproof coffee is for low-carb weirdos* who believe that nothing is healthy unless slathered in animal fat and/or coconut oil.

*there are different levels of low-carb weirdo.

double edit: Or maybe it does't? But it tastes like it does, and this video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOVJC-p3Vak

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 5, 2016

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get how anyone enjoys the texture of raspberries in the first place. They just feel gross to eat with all those little hairs on them.

More raspberries for me!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ted Allen isn't joking when he says that a huge amount of fancy food is how well you can plate it. Considering that's like ~6 dollars of produce at best, very little prep work and a tiny bit of cheese and I bet people willingly pay 25-50 dollars for it. It looks pretty as hell tho.

https://www.instagram.com/chefjacqueslamerde/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Palpek posted:

"Life hacks" for food products (ok, not all of them but still):

Roast chickpeas are legit really good, but man, you gotta keep a close eye on them. You walk away to take a 30 second piss and you go from this:

To this:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

NESguerilla posted:

Onion dip mix in hamburger :captainpop: What a crazy renegade!

You put anything in your hamburger meat other than maybe salt or pepper, if you're making a hamburger, and it's meatloaf. Onions in the meat? It's a meatloaf sandwich. Cheese in the meat? Meatloaf sandwich. Stuff goes on the patty, not in it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
We are officially dangerously close to another Soup, Salad, or... Whatever the other option was .

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tomato soup, salad and a grilled cheese?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MariusLecter posted:

There's a restuant chain called "Tom + Che" that is just grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. I mean the time I was there (not my idea) it was good, but certainly not somewhere I'd go on my own, let alone to spend that much in a grilled cheese sandwich with extra toppings

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There's a coffee shop up the hill from my apartment that serves espresso in a Glencairn glass. It actually works pretty well. However, I was very confused the first time I visited because there isn't a mug in sight. Every single drink is served in a whisky or wine glass.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

MariusLecter posted:

Frog a la pêche. If you don't fancy that, there's always pêche à la frog:

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/restaurants/the-singles-market-a-guide-to-londons-new-one-food-restaurants-10377278.html

Edit: This article notes that the Cereal Killer Cafe, probably the worst of London's gimmick eateries, now has two branches. In contrast, 'Pickle and Toast', a reasonable idea by comparison, has failed to launch. I will never understand Londoners.

Pete and Dud's original 'Frog and Peach' sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuE_a1pTsO4

Carnival of Shrews fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 5, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cash crab posted:

I got into an outstanding internet fight with this woman who insisted that this sort of packaging was essential for "accessibility reasons". I pointed out that, from an accessibility standpoint, someone who has issues with opening orange peels wouldn't fare better with a clamshell package, it's probably not intended for a disabled audience, and that if you wanted to be accessible AND stop being a wasteful gently caress, you could sell peeled oranges in soft biodegradable plastic wrapping that is easy to open, like Sun-chip bags. She did not reply. Oh, well.

It's pretty easy to tell which products are and which aren't. For example, the toilet paper sticks that give you extra reach for wiping your butthole are helpful for some disabled persons. The gallon-jug-tippers are good for old people with bad joints or disabled people with bad joints. The brownie pan with extra edges is for no one. The pre-peeled orange, if it were for disabled persons, would be in easier packaging. Etc, etc.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Great timing for this thread, because minutes ago I overheard coworkers talking about activated cashews.

edit: Even though they've been very clearly processed ("activating" nuts requires soaking them in salt alkaline water and then rinsing or drying/baking), this shop is still calling them "raw".

Argyle fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 5, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Argyle posted:

Great timing for this thread, because minutes ago I overheard coworkers talking about activated cashews.

edit: Even though they've been very clearly processed ("activating" nuts requires soaking them in salt water and then rinsing or drying/baking), this shop is still calling them "raw".

Salt water? It clearly states pure, alkaline water.

Actually come to think of it alkaline water sounds a bit too "chemical" for their target market. I'm surprised they didn't say it was pure water infused with hand-harvested sea-salt.

And speaking of sea-salt, when did naming the place of origin become a thing. Used to be you'd see salt & vinegar crisps in shops. Now it's Cornish sea-salt and cider vinegar

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 5, 2016

Monk E
May 19, 2009
To be fair completely unprocessed cashews are poisonous so their about as raw as any other "raw" cashew.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

How Hollywood's Favorite Juice Bar Owner Eats Every Day

quote:

"I usually wake up at 6:30am, and start with some Kundalini meditation and a 23-minute breath set—along with a copper cup of silver needle and calendula tea—before my son Rohan wakes."

"At 8am, I had a warm, morning chi drink on my way to the school drop off, drunk in the car! It contains more than 25 grams of plant protein, thanks to vanilla mushroom protein and stone ground almond butter, and also has the super endocrine, brain, immunity, and libido- boosting powers of Brain Dust, cordyceps, reishi, maca, and Shilajit resin. I throw ho shou wu and pearl in as part of my beauty regime. I chase it with three quinton shots for mineralization and two lipospheric vitamin B-complex packets for energy."

"At 9:30am, I drink 16 ounces of unsweetened, strong green juice, which is my alkalizer, hydrator, energizer, source of protein and calcium, and overall mood balancer. It's also my easy, 'lazy,' and delicious skin regime. I also take three tablespoons of bee pollen. I love Moon Juice's soft and chewy bee pollen—it's a creamy, candy-like treat that gives me my daily B-vitamin blast, and also helps feed my skin and aids hormone production. I'll also grab a handful of activated cashews. I try to get these in every day for their brain chemistry magic. I chase this with a shot of pressed turmeric root in freshly squeezed grapefruit juice."

"For lunch, I had zucchini ribbons with basil, pine nuts, sun-cured olives, and lemon, with green tea on the side. This is such an easy, elegant, and light meal. I made this while on a phone meeting before heading out for the rest of the work day. I often alternate this with my other lunch staple: a nori roll with umeboshi paste, avocado, cultured sea vegetables, and pea sprouts. This is my version of a taco, and it's insanely delicious. These ingredients are all pantry staples, so I eat some version of this everyday. It's probiotic-rich with the cultured veggies, and deeply mineralizing thanks to the sea vegetables, and the avocado nourishes the brain and hormones. It's awesomely satiating and takes 45 seconds to compile. I usually make this while standing, working with someone, simultaneously emailing and definitely texting. I know the right answer would be to sit down and take 10 minutes to eat, but that doesn't happen for lunch, ever."

"If I'm home around 3pm, I always reach for coconut yogurt with cardamom, dried figs, walnuts, and apricots from a weekend farm visit—and a chunk of raw dark chocolate. I ferment big batches of coconut yogurt and make big batches of raw chocolate spiked with maca and any other medicinal herb I'm focusing on. It's easy to do, and makes for potent, fast snack food throughout the month."

"Today I also called into Moon Juice and got some 'drive through.' Work doesn't keep me in the shop like it used to. Sadly I'm always on the go and running late, so I usually call in a mid-workday curbside pick-up. I grabbed a mint chip hemp milk with double servings of maca and sprouted brown rice protein, sweetened with stevia, as well as two Goodness Greens juices."

"I had an early, pre-yoga dinner at Shima in Abbot Kinney, which is my 3-year-old's favorite restaurant. I had a seaweed salad with micro cilantro and daikon, and a delicate broth of mushrooms and herbs."

"From 7 to 9pm, I went to my Kundalini yoga class at Rama Yoga in Venice, with my go-to teacher, Harijiwan."

"My son and I make a batch of almond milk and vanilla chia pudding for the next morning at bedtime. We like to have cups of it before it's totally done, when it's more like chia milk."

"At 11pm, I had a nightcap of heart tonic and raw chocolate made from one of my big batches—this one was made with our Moon Pantry heirloom raw cacao, reishi and Chaga mushroom, sprouted brown rice protein, and coconut oil. I love chocolate—and on some evenings, I don't want to deny the indulgence—so I've devised a million low glycemic recipes."

http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/a28600/amanda-chantal-bacon-moon-juice-food-diary/

This woman is going to die of malnutrition and take her kid with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't even know people ate bee pollen.

• Locked thread