Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

kvx687 posted:

I love this stupid glitch. :allears:

I'm not even convinced it's a glitch. I just think the developers thought that it would be cool to have Itsukushima Shrine versions of Wonders.

Poil posted:

Do we have a name for our island yet? If not we could call it São Miguel.

My mother would definitely approve of this. That said, I cannot possibly envision São Miguel holding two major population centres.

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm terrible at forming voting opinions, but I would like to say that I'm loving the various descriptions of Maria's antics. :allears:

Glad you like it! I was a little unsure of whether or not it would be out of place at first but I'll try to keep a little levity in the LP with the Dona Maria character.

Gyra_Solune posted:

god wouldn't it suck if it's only deep ocean all around this starting island though hahahahaha

ha

:shepicide:

I'll try to avoid keeping you in suspense too much longer, but even if this does turn out to be the case we can fit a third city and I can make some eventual religion choices that will help out in isolation a bit.

On that note, while I haven't formally compiled the results, I can see that Optics has a decent lead with Philosophy in second, and the consensus seems to be to go into Trireme construction, with the major difference being whether to go with a second trireme or a trade unit after that. I'll see which of the second construction options is in the lead tomorrow and do my best to act accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I'll also vote for Optics and I'll propose building a Caravan to trade with Vancouver. After that, build the Great Lighthouse as soon as it becomes available unless it takes an insane amount of turns to be built.

replace caravan with trade ship and we're golden, absolutely no reason we can't make more money

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

god wouldn't it suck if it's only deep ocean all around this starting island though hahahahaha

ha

:shepicide:
Don't worry, that never happens. :shepicide:

ModeWondershot posted:

My mother would definitely approve of this. That said, I cannot possibly envision São Miguel holding two major population centres.
You could easily get four cities on the island, so five population centers. But how about Madeira instead then?

skullhead tethyis posted:

replace caravan with trade ship and we're golden, absolutely no reason we can't make more money
Pirate galleys. :)

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
FINAL VOTE TALLY

Science

Optics: 11
Philosophy: 4
Mining: 2
Horseback Riding: 1

Production:

In this case, people seemed to want to decide on the next 2 production choices, but I only asked for the next immediate production choice. In that, the Trireme is the clear winner, but beyond that there was some division as to whether to pursue land trade, sea trade, or a second Trireme. Though she hears your voices and considers them carefully, Dona Maria will be the one to decide what happens after building the first Trireme.

Update to follow.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
You will all be very sorry when it turns out we're on an isolated island, and then you'll wish we had researched Horseback Riding. :colbert:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Portugal and the sea have a historically symbiotic relationship, as the nation's early forays into overseas exploration and colonial expansion formed a pioneering example to the likes of England, France and Spain. Portuguese explorers were among the first to establish a western European presence in places like Japan, China, and India, and trade between these nations led to various cultural changes, such as the practice of drinking tea in Europe.

Unfortunately, various factors such as a relatively small and impoverished population base, international conflicts resulting in traders being barred from eastern Asia, and an inability to provide for colonial administration led to declines in the fortunes of the Portuguese. However, the impact of the colonial era which they had started plays a pivotal role in human history, and Portuguese language and culture can still be observed in many places around the world...

With Vancouver secure and friendly, one of our Warrior units moves up to investigate the northern part of the island a little further.

On the domestic side, the people also begin harvesting Cotton and using it to prepare ship sails and lines.

Lisboa and Luanda are both making good progress, but somewhere, we learn that another distant rival has progressed to a new era of learning and technology. This alert is mostly to provide an idea of how scientific progress is going, and how things like Wonder construction plans may be affected.

Our Warriors, however, show little concern and instead survey the lands of Vancouver from a hillside. Many of them seem impressed with the development of their neigbour, and exchange pleasantries and provisions with their foreign allies. The menu option displayed will come into play later.

Lisboa, however, commences the construction of a three-masted and multi-oared ship in earnest, with plans to investigate the shorelines of the homeland, and hopefully uncover distant and new places to explore.

The Worker contingent, meanwhile, has been dispatched by order of the Queen to Luanda, where she has elected to grace the locals with her presence. Her missive vividly describes some manner of small, lithe, brown-furred elephants whose tusks grow atop their heads that reside in a nearby forest. She has demanded the creation of a new hunting camp, as well as a local tax assessors office to claim outstanding gold payments from the local fauna.

As the years pass, Vancouver becomes restless and the memories of shared victories begin to sour. Friendly rivalries between the Vancouverian Archers' brigade and their Portuguese guests degrade into sour disputes, and the next generation of Vancouver's government begins to actively question their allegiances to the Portuguese.

As a result, Her Majesty's government elects to take a drastic step.

Effective immediately, command over the 2nd Warrior brigade is transferred to the government of Vancouver, and its people are awed and humbled with the gift of a highly trained and experienced group of military veterans. The subsequent boost of Influence (+5) is immediate, but fleeting, as the Vancouverian government begin to spread their propaganda campaign claiming credit for the idea.

The Workers nearly arrive on site in Luanda. Unfortunately, they lack the constitution and dedication of military men, and gain no benefits from Mt. Kilimanjaro. Consequently, their trip to the woods will be impeded by rough terrain and river crossings in equal measure.

The more senior Warrior brigade, meanwhile, is entrusted with patrolling the southern and central regions, in order to verify that no more brigands will be causing trouble for the people of Portugal.

The craftsmen and -women have created a type of glassware that makes objects viewed through it seemingly larger. This type of scientific development heralds the age of a new era of technology.

With their newly spyglass-aided eyes focused firmly on the future, the Portuguese people produce plans to take to the sea.

As far as future technology goes, we are taking a little step to the side in order to get the least popular poll choice (that actually got a vote, anyway) in Horseback Riding. Philosophy is a good choice of technology to be sure, but our Faith game is going well enough without Temples and we are still too early to go for the National College. The Oracle will also likely be subordinated as a Wonder choice to the Great Lighthouse, therefore it makes a little more sense to me to look towards Stables and the fantastic Production boost that they will lend to Lisboa in short order.

The Trireme that we see here will be our primary Coast exploration unit, and as its 4 movement spaces show, it can move into Coast tiles, but not Ocean tiles. It is not yet seaworthy enough to go much further than a few miles from the mainland, but it can still cross significant distances provided they are close to a landmass.

The Trireme heads north, and immediately sees something to the west that shows promise.

Meanwhile, the provisional government (in Dona Maria's absence) decides that a potential appeasement of the Vancouverians is in order through the development of trade between them.

The Warriors, meanwhile, continue to patrol, though all is quiet in the South.

The Trireme continues its journey to the west, and sees clear signs of new lands.

A strange contingent of island people emerge from their homes on a distant coastline and jump into small boats to welcome the Portuguese. Though flabbergasted at their unusual butchering of the local tongue, the Rigans seem quite akin to their Vancouver counterparts in their eagerness to shower their guests with gifts of gold and grain, and the sailors are quite pleased with the reception.

In Luanda, the Workers and Dona Maria begin their task in earnest, contributing Food and Production benefits through the harvesting of the local wildlife for their pelts, bones, and sinew. It is there they learn that the creatures are sometimes called "dia" by local children for their propensity to appear in the early daytime. However but the differences in local pronunciation of Portuguese so far from the Lisboan homeland causes the workers to mishear them, and they report back to the Queen that the creatures are known as "deer".

The Trireme begins to encircle Riga's borders curiously, attempting to discern whether or not they are part of an archipelago of some sort.

Luanda, meanwhile, is inspired by the example provided by the Royal Workers, and completes its Monument, a stone tablet depicting a stylized icon of Dona Maria displaying her royal grace and authority before a deer fawn.

As a further show of devotion, they follow up on this project with a plan to develop a Shrine honouring the Huntress and thanking Her for the timely arrival of the Lisboans.

The circumnavigation of Riga is completed shortly thereafter, and the Trireme discovers no land in its immediate environs. Just as Riga is isolated from the mainland, the mainland is isolated from the greater East.

The Warrior unit begins moving further south into a bitter Tundra, and the men begin growing restless at the apparent pointlessness of their tasks.

The people of Riga further complain that the continued wandering of the Trireme within their borders has constituted a violation of their property. Though they have terribly few lands to call their own, the people of Riga have demarcated sections of the seas as their own using buoyant material derived from the local trees.

Their demands for the withdrawal of the Trireme from their waters are heard by the Portuguese, who are astonished by their sudden turn from warm welcomes to near open hostility, and the Trireme pulls away, distant lands yet eluding them. Time heals all wounds, however, and the government believes that the people of Riga will forgive and forget within a generation.

The Trireme instead seeks its fortunes northwards, and it is at this time that the Vancouver government has elected to formally sever allegiances with the Portuguese. Their tributes to the people of Lisboa and Luanda are slashed, and their military commanders no longer respond to requests for intelligence on the north coast. The people in general are friendly and open to trade and contributions of food, but any passions held for longer-term Portuguese-Vancouverian cooperation have cooled.

Undaunted, the Trireme pushes father north, confident that some distant land will make itself known to it soon.

Unfortunately, it is again daunted by the cruel vastness of the sea, and no lands make themselves known to the north. The people aboard begin to despair, wondering if life in the company of reticent Vancouverians and hot-tempered Rigans is all that the world has to offer the Portuguese.

Yet, progress continues to be made in small steps. Luanda now has a proper hunting camp staffed by veteran Lisboan elephant hunters, and Dona Maria tells her people that a third type of elephant, a squat, stocky and heavily woolen kind, has also been spotted to the southwest, and she believes that the borders of the Portuguese city will soon include the grazing lands of this strange new beast, thus they must prepare to offer their horns as taxes and their pelts as sacrifices to the Huntress.

The Lisboan government, however, also sees equal parts opportunity and conundrum. They had originally built the Trade vessel to further ingratiate themselves to Vancouver, but now that they have a new neighbour they have the option of starting trade with a new people, and perhaps a better opportunity lies further from the mainland.

Furthermore, the social climate of Portugal as a whole has changed with scientific developments, and the people are wondering if they might not benefit from taking a more active role in the formation of allegiances and friendships with other nations, or perhaps developing their culture and art to better improve their lives in seeming isolation.

Finally, a small party of thinkers and engineers in Lisboa have begun to design plans for a sea-based tower of hithertofore unimagined size and grandeur, intending to act as a reminder of the location of home to the distant Trireme and possibly even to signal other lands far away. This project is hazardous and time consuming to be sure, but its example stands to inspire Portuguese sailors for generations to come.

With the small island-bound Empire planning its next moves, the people go about their lives, wondering what the future may bring...

Sorry to everyone hoping for contact off this island, we only have Riga to show for it for now. If we continue to explore east and still don't come up with any new territories, then this will actually be my first playthrough of a Civilization V game on Continents where we are completely isolated by Ocean tiles. Even Archipelago games usually connect me to other Civs by coast.

However, everyone still has decisions to make concerning the direction Portugal takes henceforth:

We have a trade vessel ready to trade, but with two potential trading partners only one of them will get the benefits of our trade route. Mechanically, this is not a decision that makes a lot of difference, as the Trade Route values are the same either way and neither City-State will have an Influence gain from the decision. However, Riga has access to Spice Luxury resources, which may be worth befriending them over, though we will have an easier time with Vancouver given that we already have substantial Influence with them. Either way, I will do my utmost to make the choice more relevant through text and future interactions with the City-State in question, so let me know which of the two City-States to support with trade: Riga, or Vancouver.

We have also unlocked our next Social Policy, and because we have entered a new Era we have two new choices for potential Policy trees: Patronage and Aesthetics, and their (abridged) benefits are as follows:

Patronage deals with improving City-State relations, and unlocking the tree causes a 25% reduction in the rate at which Influence degrades from City-States, and will eventually allow us to build the Forbidden Palace Wonder. The various Policies in the tree make the benefits of City-State allegiances more enticing, and also makes them easier to get, which in turn will make the Diplomatic victory condition significantly easier to accomplish. If we want to create a diplomatic empire based on allegiances with City-States, this is the way to go.

Aesthetics is for improving the Culture game, and unlocking the tree causes us to earn Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians 25% faster, and unlocks the Uffizi Wonder much later in the game. The various bonuses in the tree will make our Culture grow faster and eventually allow us to gain more Tourism points to work towards the Cultural victory condition. If we want to improve the Culture game beyond potential competition, then we want this tree.

Alternatively, we can stick to our roots and develop another Piety policy, but the only issue I have with that option is that no Policy in that tree would help us in the short term. The gold bonus from Temples doesn't help when we don't have any, and getting alternate Religion benefits as well as cheaper Religion purchases don't help when there are no other Religions known to us or things to buy from them. My recommendation would be to leave this tree for now and branch out, but the choice should be yours more than it is mine.

We also have Production open in Lisboa again, but given the spread of choices available to us, I see that people want the Great Lighthouse, and I would like to give it to them, but I do have one alternative option I would like to present.

With one turn to go until Horseback Riding finishes, I would propose instead that we start construction of the Lighthouse but interrupt in in order to build Stables in Lisboa for extra Production points. The risk we carry in that case is that two other Civs have beaten us to the current Era and there is a small chance that they may start work on the Classical Wonder while we wait.

Thus, the choice fundamentally boils down to Great Lighthouse First or Stables First. Please let me know which of these appeals more to you all given the possibilities.

Até breve!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Riga, Aesthetics, Stables. Let's ally with the Rigans to see if we can see further. Culture will accelerate our borders and acquisition of further social policies. Stables will enhance production which in turn will help with the lighthouse.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trade with Riga, it's a little safer.

Keep on pieting piety until it's thoroughly pieted. Get a reformation belief before the AI steals them all.

How do you expect to see the horses and guide them back into the stable without a proper lighthouse?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 12, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Riga, Tradition, Lighthouse

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Riga, Patronage, Great Lighthouse

It'll be easier to maintain Vancouver being on the same land mass, but since we're apparently stuck with these two for the time being we may as well take advantage of it.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Trade with Riga, since its slightly closer.
Continue with Piety for now, since a religion is guaranteed.
Build some Stables, they'll give a nice big boost to production.

What's Luanda building next?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

AJ_Impy posted:

Riga, Aesthetics, Stables. Let's ally with the Rigans to see if we can see further. Culture will accelerate our borders and acquisition of further social policies. Stables will enhance production which in turn will help with the lighthouse.

This plan works for me. The Huntress knows the benefits of synergy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Riga, Liberty (Edit: gently caress it, let's be unconventional. The AI is as smart as paste so it'll be hard to lose. Especially on a naval map), Stables

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 13, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ilyich posted:

Trade with Riga, since its slightly closer.
Continue with Piety for now, since a religion is guaranteed.
Build some Stables, they'll give a nice big boost to production.

What's Luanda building next?

This plan has my vote.

Xelkelvos posted:

(Edit: gently caress it, let's be unconventional. The AI is as smart as paste so it'll be hard to lose. Especially on a naval map)

:downs: Oh, that's why I managed to let another civ make a city right in the middle of my home territory while I was busy thinking about finding coal last time I played.

(I am not good at civ, as you might guess.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

This plan has my vote.

:downs: Oh, that's why I managed to let another civ make a city right in the middle of my home territory while I was busy thinking about finding coal last time I played.

(I am not good at civ, as you might guess.)

I'm not good either, but I think those are different evaluations of good. How did you have empty space in your "home territory" large enough give the AI enough room to plop a city down by the time Coal shows up unless you started in a late era or have a loose definition of "home territory"?

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Riga, Patronage, stables.

Riga is safer, Aesthetics for cultural growth, stables for more production before you begin the Great Lighthouse.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahahaha, I knew Riga was isolated the second you got the double gold first contact bonus. :allears: The rest of the world is supposed to have continents, yeah? Coming across a world that's already made alliances and enemies without you is always fun.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not good either, but I think those are different evaluations of good. How did you have empty space in your "home territory" large enough give the AI enough room to plop a city down by the time Coal shows up unless you started in a late era or have a loose definition of "home territory"?

I actually had two halves of my territory. I was spilt by a friendly city-state and hadn't settled right next to it because it was all poo poo desert mountains. I probably should have bought the tiles; I thought that they wouldn't be able to get to it because I had blocked the land route, but I guess they finally got around me via sea. It was literally just big enough for a city.

It was not a proud moment, especially after I had successfully blocked a civ from settling near me earlier in the same game. :eng99:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Vancouver, Piety, Stables.

We just met the Rigans and they threw us a party and then told us to gtfo. Sure, our relations with Vancouver might be a little rocky, but we have a long history of cooperation. We can wait for them to come to their senses and make a pile of wealth from them while we do it.

Taking Piety picks now means we'll have them when we need them, which will come soon enough. Deus Vult!

I heard some stable hands talking the other day about a visit from some loony architect talking about a giant torch or something. Apparently he wants to construct the whole thing out of hammers and he's convinced that horses are vital to the hammer-smithing craft. The stable hands laughed about their master taking the architect's money and agreeing to expand his operation. It seems that there might be some new jobs soon if you're handy with a pitchfork!

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
I believe that trading with Riga will be the start of a proper alliance. We're alone with two city states, might as well become friends with both of them.
Next, I'd say follow Piety until you have a Reformation Belief, then go for Aesthetics and become the most beautiful civ in the world.
Finally, I'm going to stick to what I said before and vote for the Great Lighthouse

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Your excellency, I believe trade with Vancounver might strengthen our older bonds, and convince even the newer leaders of their people that an alliance with Portugal is of great benefit to us all.

Furthermore, I suggest a policy of Patronage, where we ensure the sponsorship and inclusion of smaller states in exchange for almost exclusive goods and trade from them. That way we can get even closer to not only Vancouver, but Riga as well.

As for construction taking on such a great endeavour would surely take all kinds of workloads to do, thus ensuring all the help we can with properly Stabled horses is of utmost importance.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Since the quest for a trade route can't trigger while you have one, go with Riga and hopefully Vancouver will ask us at some point, allowing us to really them.
For culture go Piety, it's not that long until we get our first prohet and getting our second one soon after from the policies is going to allow us to be the first improved religion as well.
For production go Great Lighthouse, but maybe build a second galley at Luanda to guard the northern approaches to the Riga trade route from barbarian ships.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Riga, Aesthetics and Great Lighthouse

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Riga[/] (the spice must flow), [b]Patronage, and the Great Lighthouse.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Building the stable before the lighthouse is faster than building the lighthouse before the stable if you get both but the lighthouse will be completed a lot later and is on a time limit. The +3 production from the stable, while very nice, will not be anywhere near enough to make up for the 100 production cost of building it. For reference, the lighthouse is 185 production. :eng101:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Riga / Patronage / Lighthouse

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually I didn't vote before but I'll jump on the Lighthouse :bandwagon: because I do so love wonder hogging.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Vancouver, Piety, Great Lighthouse

Getting access to those amazing Reformation bonuses seems like priority number one at this point. Jesuit Education or Charitable Missions are both amazing, the latter especially for Portugal.

Also, not finishing piety might anger the hunt-goddess, and then we run the risk of elephant stampedes.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Looking at this map again, I might be wrong, but I think trade routes to both city states can be totally protected from pillaging by barbarians with just 3 units, at least until ocean-capable ships start appearing.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
FINAL VOTE TALLY (3 hours late edition)

City State Trade:

Riga: 14
Vancouver: 3

Policy Choice:

Piety: 7
Patronage:5
Aesthetics:3
Liberty:1
Tradition:1

Great Lighthouse Vs. Stables:

Great Lighthouse: 10
Stables: 8

The update will follow tomorrow unless I decide to play Bravely Second instead.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Portuguese religious history, like in most of Western Europe, has deep Catholic roots. This continuous and consistent religious thread influenced much of its cultural practice in its days of trade and colonial growth, and one might say that Catholicism was Portugal's most common export throughout history. However, the relatively stable religion in a relatively stable part of the world at one time coexisted with a strange local mythology known as "Sebastianism."

Sebastianism is the story of King Sebastian I of the House of Aviz, a charismatic young king beloved by his people who, determined to recapture the glory days of the Crusades for his nation, led a troupe of his countrymen and Holy Roman Imperial mercenaries into Morocco in 1578. However, he was routed and killed in battle almost immediately by a significantly larger force, yet in the chaos of the battle no one was able to confirm his death or retrieve his body. Thus, his admirers back home determined that he must have lived and that he would someday return to lead the nation to greatness in the vein of a King Arthur or Frederick Barbarossa. Though it never eclipsed the popularity of Catholicism, this particular myth enjoyed a long lifespan that extended as long and far as Brazil in the early 1900s, and there is still a chance that if you ask a devout older Catholic in Portugal about Sebastian, you may be told that he will someday come back...

When we select a destination for our Trade Ship, we have to confirm it with this option as, like with Social Policies, it is a move that cannot be taken back.

Trade units are not directly controlled, but rather move autonomously from origin to destination and back at a consistent rate. This lack of control means that they may be susceptible to enemy attack at an inopportune moment, and as such may require some early defensive considerations to ensure that it is not plundered by Barbarians. However, given Riga's proximity and our sweep of nearby land and sea for Barbarians, there is little risk that this trade ship will be damaged.

As to Lisboa, the choice has been made, and as far as Wonder construction goes, 12 turns is a quick pace so I am fairly confident that this one will be ours. As others in the thread pointed out, +1 movement and sight range will be fantastic for a naval power like Portugal in the short and long term, so this is worth trying to ensure we get.

On the next turn, we learn the secrets of proper training and use of horses as mounts, rather than just engines for chariots and carts.

In Luanda, the Huntress' shrine is completed, and the Workers move to seek out the buffalo of the eastern plains. In order to better spread the teachings and words of hunters past and present, and ensure some greater linguistic consistency between Lisboa and Luanda, Dona Maria orders the construction of a library.

The Trireme, meanwhile, continues its circumnavigation of the mainland in search of neighbours. There is some promise to the east...

...but it is unrealized.

The unusual news gives people in Lisboa pause, and they take the time to think. What if the world around them is all that exists? What if they, alongside their compatriots in Riga and Vancouver, are the only creatures of their kind? The apex predators of the world? Or, is there someone or something beyond our reckoning that exists to hunt humans?

Difficult questions such as these demand more thorough contemplation of their faith, and this intellectual practice is one that Dona Maria believe will lead her people to a better understanding of all things, including their fellow man and elephant.

With the passage of time, Luanda's borders expand to cover the new potential hunting ground, and Dona Maria commissions the construction of a new camp/tax assessor, though she is decidedly less than impressed with the unruly buffaloes' attempts to gore her people.

The Warrior brigade, never idle, moves back towards Vancouver's lands to see if they can oversee the travel of the trade ships that they may be forewarned of nearby enemies.

The Trireme continues its journey east...

...and further east it will have to go in order to find hope.

The Warriors continue their scouting mission.

The Trireme chases its dream.

Hope springs eternal, as this shows signs of promise further eastwards.

Warriors travel west to the shore...

...and Trireme east to oblivion. The sea's cruelty seems truly limitless.

The Warriors meet their former comrades close to Vancouver, where they learn a bit about the situation. The Vancouver government displayed annoyance that Portugal's trade mission was so quickly re-routed to a rival City-State, and though cordiality and cooperation remains the order of the day, the Vancouverian impression of Portugal degrades quickly.

The Trireme, all but given up, determines that there is only a slim possibility that there are lands further south that can be explored.

Yet hope remains fleeting.

...and seems to have been dashed upon the rocks.

One final push...

...and we are at the end of the story.

The Warriors, however, are content to remain near their fellows in the city of Vancouver. There, the sea is but a source of bountiful fish and the sound of peaceful waves, not an abyss of deafening silence which swallows up the world.

The people of Portugal cling to their roots and their joys in times of difficulty.

Though they may not be renowned for their learning, they understand that the world around them is ultimately what they make of it.

The Trireme returns to Lisboa, and the maddening words of its captain and crew quickly spread discontent in the capital.

(Note that we are now at negative Happiness. As mentioned before, this bears food, production, gold and combat penalties, and we can see that Lisboa and Luanda will not gain any more population.)

The people wonder what will happen if they should run short of space to grow and hunt. Will they be forsaken by the Huntress if there are no elephants left for them to hunt?

The Warriors are recalled to Lisboa in a hurry, and their counterparts in Vancouver keep their bows and blades at the ready as they await the news.

Dona Maria, having been sequestered in Luanda for her own safety, matter-of-factly informs the Worker's brigade that she is in need of sweets.

She then guarantees huge portions of the royal treasury to landowners willing to provide sweets for her. The sheer amount of money spent causes a panic amongst the staff of the provisional government once they learn what she has done.

Yet, in the midst of the chaos, something miraculous occurs:

A reclusive and aged provisional government minister in charge of hunting and shrine maintenance emerges from his home and takes to the streets. Identifying himself only as "Sebastião", he rouses a large crowd in front of the shrine.

He describes a vivid dream he had in which the people of Portugal, Vancouver and Riga hunted every single animal in the known world to extinction, and amidst the barren elephant graveyards, humanity ultimately turned spear, bow and tooth upon each other. To avoid this calamity, he proposed a series of changes in the laws of the hunters of Portugal, to ensure that they could never completely destroy the natural order of the island with their actions, but rather be a part of it, as their Huntress demands.

Sebastião's Laws are seen as overbearing and unpopular by many, limiting the hunting season each year and forbidding any one man, woman, or child from hunting for more than they themselves can eat, but just as many are swept up in his horrifying vision of the future, and swear to follow them, as well as teach their children and peers to do the same.

However, these are but a few of Sebastião's Laws, and it will be your duty to determine which laws we have by customizing our Religion.

Religion customization expands on the Pantheon bonus we picked earlier. When we create a Religion, we have a Founder Belief and a Follower Belief that is added to any city that follows the Religion. The Founder Belief affects the Civ that first founded the Religion, and usually increases as a greater number of cities or citizens follow the Religion in question. The Follower Belief affects the City that follows the Religion, and this means that it can be given to other Civs or City-States intentionally or unintentionally.

The list above features Founder Beliefs, and while I encourage you to select any of them, I will recommend my top 2:

Tithe: This gives very good gold in the long term and makes the spreading of religion an advantageous economic aspect of trade, since trade vessels also transfer Religions to their destinations.

Papal Primacy: the base +15 to Influence makes it worth spreading to City States, especially if we end up picking Patronage later.

This list features Follower Beliefs, and my top 2 are:

Pagodas: This is widely considered the top-tier bonus, as +2 Happiness especially is worth every point of Faith you put into it. The boosts to Faith and Culture per turn are also appreciated.

Religious Community: Additional Production is always good, especially when it scales with City size. However, this can be dangerous to give to enemy Civs as it will be used against us in a big way.

Also worth noting, when we get a second Great Prophet, we can enhance the Religion further with a second Follower Belief and an Enhancer. The Enhancer affects the religion's rate of spread or resilience. Also, as people mentioned, once we reach the bottom of the Piety tree, we will get a Reformation bonus which will further modify our Religion to our advantage.

With that in mind, please cast your votes and I will close the voting on Sunday night.

Até Domingo!

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
A tithe on every ounce of ivory, to be spent on the preservation of the great herds will ensure Portuguese prosperity for centuries to come. Let us take the bones and build towering Pagodas of them, that all may remember that it is by the life and death of these noble beasts that man has raised his civilization.

Also that happiness, culture and faith is fantastic. Money is always really good too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Papal Primacy, and a dog, a plan, a canal

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Stormgear posted:

A tithe on every ounce of ivory, to be spent on the preservation of the great herds will ensure Portuguese prosperity for centuries to come. Let us take the bones and build towering Pagodas of them, that all may remember that it is by the life and death of these noble beasts that man has raised his civilization.

Also that happiness, culture and faith is fantastic. Money is always really good too.

Agreed

And once the Great Lighthouse is complete, perhaps you should send the trireme with its new +1 sight on another lap around the island, just for shits and giggles. Dona Maria will want them to be absolutely sure of their findings. It's not like it'll have anything better to do with its time. On that note, considering our ironic geographic situation, aiming for astronomy as quickly as is reasonable would be a good idea.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah. Title and Pagodas. Let's hope the Asian civs aren't too mad.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: Changed vote below.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't care about the founder belief (it should probably be tithe) but grab those pagodas. We're in dire need of happiness; if it's still around when we get our second prophet, grab Religious Centers too.

Monasteries are a waste of time (Had they been +1/+1/+1 they could have competed with mosques and cathedrals), Mosques are decent if Pagodas are taken and you don't need that much happiness, Cathedrals are subpar but at least they have happiness.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Papal Primacy and Pagodas

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Tithe and Cathedrals.

The issue is this: There's no normal place to put Great Works of Art till Museums, FAR in the future. Only the Palace and certain Great Wonders(Wonders of the World like the Great Lighthouse; as opposed to National Wonders, which are One-per-Civ and usually require you to have some building in all cities) have Great Work of Art slots. Unless you take Cathedrals.

Great Works of Writing from the Writer's Guild can be placed in Amphitheatres and several National Wonders, like the Heroic Epic(Barracks in all cities) and National Epic(Monument in all cities), Great Works of Music from the Musician's Guild in the Opera House. Both unlock before the Museum, yet the Artist's Guild unlocks between them, but has hardly anywhere to put anything. Though you may use Great Artists for an instant Golden Age, sometimes that's not the best option.

Random thought: Wouldn't it have been nice if a Cathedral with a Great Work of Art gave a boost to the yield of the building, like a Monastery with Incense/Wine?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Random thought: Wouldn't it have been nice if a Cathedral with a Great Work of Art gave a boost to the yield of the building, like a Monastery with Incense/Wine?

You should see the CBP Faith Buildings. They're all pretty good.

• Locked thread