Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to guess that the people that named their kid after a cartoon horse don't exhibit the strongest judgement and maturity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I'm going to guess that the people that named their kid after a cartoon horse don't exhibit the strongest judgement and maturity.

Probably not. Now finding out that the kid was actually taken away weeks ago. I feel so out of the loop.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

HOLY poo poo.

My fuckstick customers who named their child Lady Rainicorn had their kid taken by CPS. I would have killed to see the caseworker's face when told the name of that child.

That story had such a sad start but then ended so happy :unsmith:. I mean, getting taken by CPS doesn't guarantee the kid a good life but at least they might get renamed something that you can put on a job application.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

That story had such a sad start but then ended so happy :unsmith:. I mean, getting taken by CPS doesn't guarantee the kid a good life but at least they might get renamed something that you can put on a job application.

You should read up on what happens to kids in the system before you make comments like this. It's extremely bad.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 4, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

zoux posted:

You should read up on what happens to kids in the system before you make comments like this. It's extremely bad.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I realized "stupid name" and "parents waste money on stupid poo poo" is actually totally fine compared to what could happen after getting picked up by CPS :smith:. Forget I said anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure it was sort of neglect. These are the kind of people who's card would get denied when making a $6 purchase.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like CPS picks up kids on a whim. It must've been fairly serious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like CPS picks up kids on a whim. It must've been fairly serious.

The only frame of reference I have for nerds losing their kids is that one E/N thread, but that guy was able to turn it around. Sometimes getting your kids taken away is a good wake up call.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And the kid might just get taken in by a family member. Saved my friend from a bad life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Holy gently caress just look at this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Holy gently caress just look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're not allowed to name your kid anything too dumb here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11388092

e: Scratch that. I just read that again and the objection is for titles and symbols. You can specifically be called "Cream Bun" but not Major or Prince.
Never mind.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 5, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you don't enjoy reading Newspaper Spider-Man you don't understand comics.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're not allowed to name your kid anything too dumb here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11388092

e: Scratch that. I just read that again and the objection is for titles and symbols. You can specifically be called "Cream Bun" but not Major or Prince.
Never mind.

Chilling. :eek: I'm glad that I live in a free and civilized nation where no one could stop me from bestowing on my firstborn the given name Evil-Chaser First Class Mandora From ThunderCats.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

We recorded our podcast's first episode about Secret Wars last night. It was a lot of fun and listening back to it it's actually a lot better than I thought it'd be. We recorded for three hours, though. :byodood:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Never mind.

Still, would have saved Lady Rainicorn since Lady iirc would count as a title. She would have been left with the perfectly respectable name, Rainicorn.

Unrelated: I'm moving this weekend and I suddenly envy all you "digital only" motherfuckers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Never mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Major_Major_Major

Edit: I actually have a huge issue with government dictating what you can name your kid. It seems like an unnecessary level of interference. Being named Lady Rainicorn is a symptom of a much larger issue with her parents, and CPS didn't take the kid simply because the parents had poo poo taste in child names. Also, my last name is King, and Prince is one of the greatest living rock stars, so these restrictions on titles is clearly a dumb idea, and how many people are named Jesus or Muhammad?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 5, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jesus and Mohamed are both regular names so a lot?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Muhammad is the most common male name in the world, I'm p. sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Never mind.

I remember a thing from around 10 years or so ago where some Japanese family was causing trouble by trying to name their kid the Japanese word for evil.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

Jesus and Mohamed are both regular names so a lot?

Squizzle posted:

Muhammad is the most common male name in the world, I'm p. sure.

I think that was his point, yall. It seems a little weird to restrict 'Lady' or 'Major' when millions of people are named after their respective religious messiahs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because they're still just names.

If Islam or Christianity had turned those names into titles and instead of Pope, he was the Grand Jesus then they'd be banned too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Parents should choose from pre-approved government mandated names, and then when they turn eighteen the kid chooses their own name without restraint.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Good point, UserID:203591.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

zoux posted:

Yep. I got to experience the lovely California foster care system as a youth. 0/10 do not recommend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This probably won't hurt his campaign either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

This probably won't hurt his campaign either.

Okay I thought the selfie was good but :eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I think that was his point, yall. It seems a little weird to restrict 'Lady' or 'Major' when millions of people are named after their respective religious messiahs.
It's because if you introduce yourself as Mohamed bin Salal rather than Major Salal the assumptions immediately made are that you're Muslim and Arab - not that you earned and hold a specific position in the military.

WickedHate posted:

Parents should choose from pre-approved government mandated names, and then when they turn eighteen the kid chooses their own name without restraint.
Okay but now 1/3rd of all men are named Biggus Dickus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It's because if you introduce yourself as Mohamed bin Salal rather than Major Salal the assumptions immediately made are that you're Muslim and Arab - not that you earned and hold a specific position in the military.

Man, gently caress military people, thinking their titles are so precious. I'm naming my kid Doctor General.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well it worked for this young lad.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've been reading BSS archives, and gosh golly did early BSS have some issues about Jade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jackie Chan's niece?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dang, I didn't realize Alan Scott had such an accomplished brother-in-law.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

I've been reading BSS archives, and gosh golly did early BSS have some issues about Jade.

I know nothing about Jade other than that I said she was the best Green Lantern at some point and then learned I was technically wrong that she wasn't a Lantern. Is there something weird or bad about Jade or was past-BSS just being weird?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

So when was the golden age of BSS?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I know nothing about Jade other than that I said she was the best Green Lantern at some point and then learned I was technically wrong that she wasn't a Lantern. Is there something weird or bad about Jade or was past-BSS just being weird?

I'm p. sure she actually was a Green Lantern during the Winnick run. She lost her powers, I think? Then Kyle got her a power ring somehow? Idk. I also believe there was some never-followed-up hints that her plant powers were increasing somehow.

Anyway, BSS apparently found her promiscuous, such that they disapproved, and expressed such sentiment often.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I'm p. sure she actually was a Green Lantern during the Winnick run. She lost her powers, I think? Then Kyle got her a power ring somehow? Idk. I also believe there was some never-followed-up hints that her plant powers were increasing somehow.

Anyway, BSS apparently found her promiscuous, such that they disapproved, and expressed such sentiment often.

:staredog:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

So when was the golden age of BSS?

We have a pretty great mod right now but early days were cool. E&C and I were actually civil to each other back then!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was weird though, I was reading the Wikipedia and Edge and Christian were two different posters? I guess they got merged in one of the Crisises. Golden Age BSS is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Golden Age started when I hit the scene, ends whenever I'm banned, and starts again when I come back.

• Locked thread